Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Brannock posted:

No, the vampire convinced the blond guy to back off since they knew it was a trap, so now the chick is just sitting there in the forest.

And apparently Parson knows a way to cheese out of the situation now.

He's going to powergame! :v:

My interest in Erfworld has been rekindled by the "units pop into existence" thing. That's pretty interesting. It makes it more of a game-world than a world-like-a-game.

All depends on how the big battle plays out. I'm a bit of a sucker for strategy stuff :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
They're really going out of their way to make sure the Erfworld guy is the most repugnant and least likeable main character ever.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

Schwarzwald posted:

If Roy's body retains intellegence, then it'd be almost as good as ressurection. Durkon will just have to memorize some harm spells, and everyone will need to take a few panels to get used to the stench.

There's not many nonevil undead that retain intelligence.

There's not many undead that retain intelligence.

Well... As of the Monster Manual 2. What're they up to now, MM5?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Fuego Fish posted:

All depends on how the big battle plays out. I'm a bit of a sucker for strategy stuff :shobon:
I'm hoping for a horrendous rules exploit. So far Parson has been played up as 'that guy'. Fat, messy, snarky, shitstick DM that likes to screw over his players for laughs. If he did figure out some kind of trick, it'd be interesting to see how the Erflings react to it. The Rules are like natural laws that they take for granted, so powergaming would be like someone saying, "Hay guys I found a loophole in gravity that lets you fly! :v:"

Although I'm kinda hoping that this experience will change Parson for the better. Kicks him into becoming someone that's not a shiftless, greasy loser. But Erfworld has this thing where it raises your hopes then crushes them with shoehorned, creepy lesbian dom-sub relationships.

Kahrytes posted:

Hell if I know. Everything is getting a book nowadays. I'm holding out for the Clown Compendium.

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 27, 2007

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible

Kahrytes posted:

There's not many nonevil undead that retain intelligence.

There's not many undead that retain intelligence.

Wasn't there a 3rd edition Dark Sun book with rules for tons of different independent undead or was that just some 3rd party book?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

tsob posted:

Why were Durkon and Haley so upset about Roy's death? Is there some reason they can't just rez him like nothing happened later?

I think somehow, despite the gold they've come into, the Order isn't that wealthy.
I remember back when Belkar escaped from his prison cell and tried to provoke Miko into killing him, because he figured Durkon could just bring him back, and V pointed out that they didn't have the 5k in material components to do that.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0286.html

Ok, they just don't have 5k worth of diamonds, close enough.
I suppose, realistically speaking, you wouldn't expect any NPC merchant to have that much on hand.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Also, the vast majority of the dragon hoard got blown up when that inn exploded, and they spent the next couple of hundred strips adventuring more or less for free. I'd also imagine the oracle didn't work for cheap.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
If Roy becomes undead, he is vulnerable to an evil cleric controlling him, like Redcloak for example. Plus, many undead revert into savage and evil versions of their old personality. A ghoul Roy would crave flesh for example.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Maybe he'll become Undying, a Good Aligned Undead most prominently featured in Eberron. He'd be hard-core then. But let's be honest, Roy's not getting a Template, he's either going to be replaced or brought back to life.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

rantmo posted:

Maybe he'll become Undying, a Good Aligned Undead most prominently featured in Eberron. He'd be hard-core then. But let's be honest, Roy's not getting a Template, he's either going to be replaced or brought back to life.

Well to become Undying you need to A. be an Elf and B. be mummified and interred in a sacred ceremony.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Gassire posted:

Well to become Undying you need to A. be an Elf and B. be mummified and interred in a sacred ceremony.

In Eberron, yes, well sort of. Anyone can be turned into an Undying, it's just that elves won't turn a non-elf. And there's plenty of time before the ritual needs to be performed, as long as they preserve the body. However the Deathless Template is originally in the Book of Exalted Deeds and so available to anyone.

Boggus
Mar 26, 2007

A yellow jumpsuit makes all the difference.
:siren:New comic is up!:siren:

:h:Belkar:h:

Boggus fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 27, 2007

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Wow. Didn't see that last bit coming.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Taerkar posted:

Wow. Didn't see that last bit coming.
Neither did that hobgoblin :rimshot:.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wonder if there are any talented goons who'd want to take a shot at that song, cause that's just awesome :shobon:

Edit: Is that the first time Elan's actually done something useful as a bard then? Most of the rest of the time he just seems to annoy Roy with silly ditties.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

tsob posted:

I wonder if there are any talented goons who'd want to take a shot at that song, cause that's just awesome :shobon:

Edit: Is that the first time Elan's actually done something useful as a bard then? Most of the rest of the time he just seems to annoy Roy with silly ditties.

You keep trying, eventually you roll a natural 20.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I don't think Roy's coming back for at least a long while after seeing that strip. Having him back right after the the battle would sort of cheapen it. (Then again, D&D jokes.)

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long.

tsob posted:

I don't know if it's the first time he's pulled out a cool song, but it does continue Elan's schtick of out-of-nowhere competence in timely situations.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

Brannock posted:

I don't think Roy's coming back for at least a long while after seeing that strip. Having him back right after the the battle would sort of cheapen it. (Then again, D&D jokes.)

I don't think it will be as easy as cast->deep breath->back to the adventure, but there is no way Roy is perma-dead.

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.

tsob posted:

Well, his standard 'Pass, pass, pass, the skill check,' isn't that hard to do. He's been adding at least +2 (I think?) onto every roll. Actually, Bards get really nasty in mass combat situations. A bard of Elan's level would probably double a mook's to-hit, if, y'know, he was competent.

This strip just reminded me of Hinjo's badass potential. His mount! Look at his mount! :swoon:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

BAWRLIN posted:

I don't think it will be as easy as cast->deep breath->back to the adventure, but there is no way Roy is perma-dead.

Between the second half of the battle, the exposition filled night, and the actual raising, it could still be awhile before we see Roy again. Assuming we do at all.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

HitTheTargets posted:

Assuming we do at all.

I am assuming (demanding) that we do. :colbert:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

BAWRLIN posted:

I am assuming (demanding) that we do. :colbert:

Since Durkon has said outright that he's planning to, I think it's pretty likely.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

rantmo posted:

Since Durkon has said outright that he's planning to, I think it's pretty likely.

Unless, as I said, he gets eaten by ghouls.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

gothfae posted:

Unless, as I said, he gets eaten by ghouls.

True Resurrection brings a dude back from just about anything.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

rantmo posted:

Which is exactly why it's a good time for some sort of dramatic switcharoo, and I'm cool with that as long as we do eventually get Roy back. I don't see that group functioning in any meaningful way without him. Plus, if we don't get him back I will be sad.

The kind of sad that ends worlds.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Today was like eight hours of working a lovely job until 2AM for me, and yet, having sort of reread through the recent arc a little bit back, for some reason the term "Schlubbo No-name zaki" made me laugh aloud everytime I thought of it tonight. Its just so well-crafted and hilarious, I can't believe it didn't jump out at me the first time I read it.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

tsob posted:

I dunno if I can get access to the sound studio at school or not, but if I have spare time this week i'll give it a shot.

spoonboy
Oct 30, 2004

I wanna be a pilot!

The Werle posted:

I dunno if I can get access to the sound studio at school or not, but if I have spare time this week i'll give it a shot.

You know, this is kind of coincidental, but I just recorded a silly version of Danny Boy tonight for the next ML Rockstar.

I'm sure I could work something out if you don't get around to it.

Long time BSS lurker, discovered Order of the Stick because of this thread and I must say I love it.

EDIT: Danny Boy is ridiculously hard to sing well, though. I don't really have the range to pull it off. Well, I just can't hit that drat high note.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

spoonboy posted:

EDIT: Danny Boy is ridiculously hard to sing well, though. I don't really have the range to pull it off. Well, I just can't hit that drat high note.

So between you and The Werle we've got a good shot at either getting a great version, or a hilarious version. Either way - we win.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

BAWRLIN posted:

I don't see that group functioning in any meaningful way without him.

Yeah, we saw what happened during the bandits story arc what happens when the group tries to function sans Roy. They all kind of wander around with no direction and then gently caress everything up.

I'm betting Rich is saving Roy's ressurection for the 500 panel.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Does the Sapphire Guard currently have an justification for guarding an empty throne room? Normally they'd be told to defend the old man, but he's dead.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

GigaPeon posted:

Does the Sapphire Guard currently have an justification for guarding an empty throne room? Normally they'd be told to defend the old man, but he's dead.

Bureaucracy and tradition I suppose. They've always done it, so they will always do it, even if it doesn't really make sense.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

tsob posted:

Bureaucracy and tradition I suppose. They've always done it, so they will always do it, even if it doesn't really make sense.

Don't the paladins all know about the snarl and the seal?

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Gally posted:

No. Not to my knowledge.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Hinjo could just order them to guard the throne room. They wouldn't exactly question him, since they are so drat lawful and good.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Women's Rights? posted:

Yeah, we saw what happened during the bandits story arc what happens when the group tries to function sans Roy. They all kind of wander around with no direction and then gently caress everything up.

I'm betting Rich is saving Roy's ressurection for the 500 panel.

V, Haley, Durkon, and Elan were able to take down Nale's crew without Roy or Belkar helping. That was, like, two days ago in story time. They might be able to hold together to go on whatever ludicrous quest reviving Roy will require.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

IMJack posted:

V, Haley, Durkon, and Elan were able to take down Nale's crew without Roy or Belkar helping. That was, like, two days ago in story time. They might be able to hold together to go on whatever ludicrous quest reviving Roy will require.

To be fair, Nale's crew was just the three of them versus four of the Order.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

Gally posted:

Lord Hinjo does. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0411.html

And if the lawful lord says "fight", whaddya think all those paladins are gonna do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Wolfsheim posted:

To be fair, Nale's crew was just the three of them versus four of the Order.

I'm pretty sure it was six on six.

Durkon vs. Druid, Nale and Harry Potter and Demon Chick and Half Ogre versus Roy, Elan, Haley, and V, and Kobold's son vs. Belkar.

Oh, you're talking about the hotel fight, though.