Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

maltesh posted:

Well, except for the last Paladin, who offed herself.

Query... What can Ghosts do against a Lich? I seem to recall their primary attack being an age 10-40 years thing.

I thought that was Ghasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gyges posted:

Is that Shojo, or the founder of Azure City calling forth his army?

Never mind, it's Soon. The difference is that Shojo had a goatee in addition to his Foo Manchu.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Gyges posted:

Never mind, it's Soon. The difference is that Shojo had a goatee in addition to his Foo Manchu.

Also, Shojo wasn't even a warrior of any sort, let alone a paladin. Fourteenth level aristocrat, I think. I was confused too at first, but that's waht cleared it up for me.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Okay someone needs to give me a briefing on rules here. What happens to ghost martyrs that get defeated and is it possible to zombify paladins if their souls are busy ghost chopping you? Also am I right in assuming that the symbol of insanity ball won't work again?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
They're all ghosts, hence they're undead, hence they're immune to mind effects like the symbol of insanity. Past that, all bets are off, since as far as I know these are a new kind of "monster" that's been created for the strip.

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible

Wanderer posted:

They're all ghosts, hence they're undead, hence they're immune to mind effects like the symbol of insanity. Past that, all bets are off, since as far as I know these are a new kind of "monster" that's been created for the strip.
I don't think there are that many arcane spells that can hurt ghosts, really. Does banishment work on them?

Of course Xykon might just know Devastate Undead and we'll see yet another swift reversal but I doubt it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Soylentbits posted:

Okay someone needs to give me a briefing on rules here. What happens to ghost martyrs that get defeated and is it possible to zombify paladins if their souls are busy ghost chopping you?

I don't see why not, zombifying them is just bringing their body back, isn't it? It doesn't need a soul or anything.
Maybe that's how Xykon will get through this. Zombie paladins versus Ghost paladins.

Also his face in the final square there is brilliant.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Volga Boatman posted:

I don't think there are that many arcane spells that can hurt ghosts, really. Does banishment work on them?

Great bloody giant explody fireballs work on them just fine.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
OHHH SHIIIIIT. This is how to make Paladins badass, I think HappyElf and I can agree on that. drat that's cool.

Taear posted:

I don't see why not, zombifying them is just bringing their body back, isn't it? It doesn't need a soul or anything.
Maybe that's how Xykon will get through this. Zombie paladins versus Ghost paladins.

You can't be raised as undead twice. If these count as true undead, then no, you cannot do that. You could gather up 100 of their corpses and make a Corpse Golem, though.

Ferrinus posted:

By the way, this post is from way back on the last page but I just want to quote it because I think it's a brilliant summation of Xykon's problems. Xykon is like an impatient player going through a video game with an extremely high level caster. He's like, "Heh, I can do this, whatev- OW OW OW! Damnit! gently caress!" But he can't reload :(

Sure he can, Redcloak still has his phylactery! :v:

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible

Wanderer posted:

Great bloody giant explody fireballs work on them just fine.
Oh okay then, I thought not but I don't know much :shobon:

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Well now I know why they were all alone in the throne room. drat this guy and his plot hole filling!

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
It's hard to tell is Xykon is worried in that last panel or if it's more of a "Hm. I've been a round a while, and this is the damnedest thing I've seen since Aught Four" sentiment.

Adimeadozen
Apr 6, 2004
Not That Guy

Volga Boatman posted:

Oh okay then, I thought not but I don't know much :shobon:

Actually, they should be incorporeal, which would mean a fireball would have a 50% chance of not effecting them, as would most damaging magic that isn't a force effect (or specifically affect incorporeal creatures).

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Am I the only one who thinks Belkar is going to kill off Redcloak and destroy the pyhlactery through random happenstance and then get killed off by the thing in the shadows?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Soylentbits posted:

Am I the only one who thinks Belkar is going to kill off Redcloak and destroy the pyhlactery through random happenstance and then get killed off by the thing in the shadows?

I'm going to say...yes?

Redcloak is one of the more powerful characters in the comic, and Belkar, while being a sexy shoeless god of war, is wounded pretty badly at this point with no healing potions in sight.

Plus, Xykon can't die permanently right now. It would be detrimental to the story. We don't even know his or Redcloak's ultimate goals or motivations yet.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Backdoor Blanche posted:

Sure he can, Redcloak still has his phylactery! :v:

He can only respawn. But a true computer gamer would keep reloading his save so as to not even lose the encounter. It's a matter of honor!

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.
This is so many colors of awesome. That last panel is perfect. I so want to break out my Lazytown 'gently caress, Yeah' macro, but I'm holding myself back.

but it deserves it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

gothfae posted:

This is so many colors of awesome. That last panel is perfect. I so want to break out my Lazytown 'gently caress, Yeah' macro, but I'm holding myself back.

but it deserves it.

Actually the last panel is pretty much a macro in and of itself. Observe:

Some Poster posted:

something really outlandish

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.
I hope this doesn't end with the ghosts beating the gently caress out of Xykon, but O'Chul smashing the gem anyway. No phyrric victories, Burlew! :argh:

Sock fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 8, 2007

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Oh snap! :monocle::haw::holy::awesome: God dammit, Rich Burlew knows how to write a loving twist. I don't think Xykon is going to be defeated in total here, but this is certainly going to be a setback for his bony-rear end.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

HA HA!

All of you who swore up and down that the bouncing ball of insanity wouldn't/shouldn't/couldn't work are in league with Redcloak!

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

NutShellBill posted:

It's hard to tell is Xykon is worried in that last panel or if it's more of a "Hm. I've been a round a while, and this is the damnedest thing I've seen since Aught Four" sentiment.

I'm going to guess that this is the bony skully version of the penultimate Keanu "WHOA."

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
The previous strip and this one are the difference between lame crap and total :awesome: :rock:

a rubber ball and loophole in rules = crap
a legion of holy warriors sworn to fight past death itself = epic

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hah. They've had to take their message boards offline because too many people are trying to view this comic.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
I'm not familiar with the current rules for ghosts, so I checked this site.

The majority of ghost special abilities only work against living creatures, so these are not going to affect Xykon. As incorporeal creatures, they have a 50% chance of ignoring any damage from a corporeal source. Any non-touch spell they cast will work normally. If they had magical weapons, they can hit Xykon, but he gets the same 50% save that they do. Unless they have Ghost Touch weapons, in which case they work normally.

Being armed with a ghost touch weapon would seem pretty unlikely, unless you were planning on dying and coming back as a ghost.

Edit: fixed url.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Davethulhu posted:

I'm not familiar with the current rules for ghosts, so I checked this site.

Guys on the GiantITP forums said that they technically aren't ghosts and should be considered some sort of Deathless (?). I don't know if this is true, but it seems likely, since they all have swords and do not have evil appearances.

Edit: I honestly wouldn't be surprised if these were some new kind of entity invented for the comic.

Zooloo fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 8, 2007

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
With Elan getting a third party prestige class OOTS is no longer limited to SRD stuff only.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Zoolooman posted:

Guys on the GiantITP forums said that they technically aren't ghosts and should be considered some sort of Deathless (?). I don't know if this is true, but it seems likely, since they all have swords and do not have evil appearances.

Edit: I honestly wouldn't be surprised if these were some new kind of entity invented for the comic.
Well, the site I linked had this to say:

quote:

When a ghost forms, all its equipment and carried items usually become ethereal along with it. In addition, the ghost retains 2d4 items that it particularly valued in life (provided they are not in another creature’s possession). The equipment works normally on the Ethereal Plane but passes harmlessly through material objects or creatures. A weapon of +1 or better magical enhancement, however, can harm material creatures when the ghost manifests, but any such attack has a 50% chance to fail unless the weapon is a ghost touch weapon (just as magic weapons can fail to harm the ghost).
It seems to me that Xykon is going to have to destroy them all, possibly by going into the etheral plane after them. After all, I doubt he's going to want a mass of incorporeal, virtually invulnerable creatures following him around and spying on him. If they aren't an existing D&D creature, all bets are off, of course.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
"Deathless" are the positive-energy-powered "good undead" monster type introduced in the Book of Exalted Deeds. I am not typing all that poo poo up, but the short version is, they come in both fleshy and incorporeal versions, are basically similar to undead in all ways in terms of immunities and abilities, and exist solely to accomplish a "righteous purpose". There's a few example monsters of the type in the book, but it's mostly there for DMs to use to make reversed versions of existing monsters, etc.

If Burlew is creating a "Ghost Martyr" creature type for the use of the strip, he might be basing it on the "Sacred Watcher" from the BoED, which is a ghostly Deathless fighter-type who can manifest on the material plane. It has a positive energy "attack" which can heal living creatures and (more importantly) damage undead.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ferrinus posted:

I spent far too long on this considering the end result :sigh:

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

Ashcans posted:

I spent far too long on this considering the end result :sigh:

Thats pretty funny. It looks good enough.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Zoolooman posted:

Hey guys.

The new comic is out.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0449.html

I say this in the kindest way possible. If you doubted Rich, it's time to eat your hat.

Day-um. If Xykon still had bowels, they'd be emptying on the floor right about now.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax

Soylentbits posted:

No, but i'm he might stumble across Roy's corpse, wich would be mega-awesome.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Efreet saiid posted:

No, but i'm he might stumble across Roy's corpse, wich would be mega-awesome.

I can see him being up for a fun bit of desecration.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Isn't Belkar technically the new leader of the hobgoblins, assuming they're not all dead, since he actually killed their old leader? It will probably be a moot point but it would be funny if he were in charge of the leftovers in the event Xykon and Redcloak left them for whatever reason.

Also I agree with the idea that Xykon has an "Ain't that the damnedest thing..." look rather than one of terror.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Ferrinus posted:

I forgot that Xykon's crown doesn't actually rest directly on his skull, so when I read the comic, I thought it was flying off his head in cartoon shock!

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Panty_HaX0r posted:

Isn't Belkar technically the new leader of the hobgoblins, assuming they're not all dead, since he actually killed their old leader?

Nope. Redcloak is the leader of the hobgoblins, and still alive.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Panty_HaX0r posted:

Isn't Belkar technically the new leader of the hobgoblins, assuming they're not all dead, since he actually killed their old leader? It will probably be a moot point but it would be funny if he were in charge of the leftovers in the event Xykon and Redcloak left them for whatever reason.

Also I agree with the idea that Xykon has an "Ain't that the damnedest thing..." look rather than one of terror.

Redcloak is the leader now, since that guy ceded leadership to him. Someone would have to kill redcloak to claim leadership.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Soylentbits posted:

Yes.

Remember the Oracle? We know that Xykon lives through this. After all, he has to be "within five hundred feet" of another portal at some nonspecified future time...

clockworkjoe posted:

The previous strip and this one are the difference between lame crap and total :awesome: :rock:

a rubber ball and loophole in rules = crap
a legion of holy warriors sworn to fight past death itself = epic
That's the thing that pisses me off about this. The second thing DOESN'T NEED the first thing in order to be cool! I mean, what would have been wrong with just a big Burly Brawl fight scene where Xykon wastes everyone? Yes, it's been done before, many times. It's been done before many times because it's fun and exciting to see. We don't need Xykon being all "lawlz check out this loophole guys, ain't I a stinka?"

Besides, let me get this straight: The put the Sapphire Guard there in the throne room knowing that they had no chance, and knowing that they were all dead meat, and intending for them to die? Well, poo poo, that's some master strategy right there.

Heck, why not have them start out by committing suicide?! It's the People's Front Of Judea Crack Suicide Squad! ATTACK! urgh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

Robot Bastard posted:

That's the thing that pisses me off about this. The second thing DOESN'T NEED the first thing in order to be cool! I mean, what would have been wrong with just a big Burly Brawl fight scene where Xykon wastes everyone?

Kay.

YOU draw it.

Dickbag. Even for a stick figure comic, a massive battle containing thirty pages of "gee i wonder if the redshirts are gonna beat the big bad evil guy hurr hurr" would be a pain in the balls to draw, and I'm happy with how he did it.

Jeez. Would all of you stop bitching about the rubber loving ball? Some of us thought it was cool. Some of us apparently don't like good things. We've moved on to something awesome that everyone likes.

And I don't think they were meant to be a suicide squad, they were meant to stay there and hope Xykon didn't get in, but if he did, they would try to chop him to little bony bits, and if THAT hosed up, the Ghostly Legion would be waiting, now with increased numbers, to gently caress up Xykon's day.