Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nast
Mar 6, 2004

2gether 4ever

mobn posted:

What are a good (and relatively inexpensive) jack and set of jackstands? I have to put the car up to change the fuel filter, and my mom's friend's lift isn't available for a while, so I might as well buy some now.

If you're going to get a floor jack I would recommend that you spend the extra dollars for an aluminum one. I hate hauling my heavy rear end steel jack all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nast
Mar 6, 2004

2gether 4ever

Gunjin posted:

Hmm good point, how many quarts does that take. I should probably pick up a Chilton for this drat car.

It's pretty easy to get the transmission fluid level right. First check the level to see if it is low or high (you probably have to check it when the car is hot and running, transmission in park, but don't quote me on that). Then drain the transmission into a pan. When done draining replace the drain plug and pour the fluid into a clear jug with graduated markings (windshield wiper fluid jugs work well). Estimate how much fluid you need (or measure it out if you really feel like it) and replace the fluid. Depending on the condition of the fluid you may want to do this again once or twice after driving around for a while.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

StopSevenCharles posted:

Anyway, I replaced the plugs a few weeks ago. How important are the wires, and how expensive are they? Also, what is Seafoam? A cleaner?
If the wires are going bad, your new plugs won't even be getting power. The wires connect the coil, which times and generates the burst of power, to the plugs that turn it into spark. If they're not conducting them the plug won't fire and your car will generally run like poo poo. They should be pretty cheap, though. I've found full sets for $30 online and they're easy to replace.

Seafoam is a cleaner you can buy for about $8 a can. You put it into your engine by pouring it slowly into the intake or letting a vacuum hose suck it up. Then it tears out all of the carbon and poo poo that's stuck to the inside of your cylinders and shoves it into the exhaust in an awesome smoke show. You can also toss the rest of the can into your gas tank or put it into the oil a few days before changing it. Getting the system cleaned out helps pretty much everything, including gas mileage and how smoothly it runs.

quote:

I don't really have a good reason for wanting to switch it to Manual other than I like manuals more, and that the auto transmission on the car is probably going to kick the bucket a lot sooner than the rest of the car will. If the whole auto transmission did kick the bucket, would having them put in a manual to replace it make much of a cost difference as opposed to them putting in parts from, or a whole other auto trans?
It depends, so I'll bump this question to the next page in hopes that a Toyota guy can answer it. On some cars it's as easy as bolting the new transmission in. In others it's so involved that buying a new Tercel would be easier. Your car is probably too new for it to be a case of just swapping them, but I don't know exactly how involved it is.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Left Ventricle posted:

1990 Pontiac 6000, 2.5L four. I've been getting a code 32 if I idle in traffic for extended periods of time. I know the EGR valve is good, as I had it tested by the same technician that put it in. He told me that it's a false positive, caused by my cracked exhaust manifold. Weird readings are being sent to the computer by the oxygen sensor, which is causing it to think the EGR valve is malfunctioning. Does this sound in any way correct?
Nothin', huh? Been a page and a half and no response.

Thanks to below.

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 11, 2007

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Left Ventricle posted:

Nothin', huh? Been a page and a half and no response.
Sounds plausible. From a quick Google, I can find one complaint about the exact same issue on an '89 2.5. I also found some F-body guys who say that putting a high-flow exhaust on a TBI engine can throw a code 32 because the valve depends on near-stock backpressure to regulate itself. A crack in your manifold would drop backpressure the same as a high-flow header would.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.uswheel.com/steel/94_detail.gif
What does it mean by 'reversing rim'?

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

BlackMK4 posted:

http://www.uswheel.com/steel/94_detail.gif
What does it mean by 'reversing rim'?
When they attach the center to the rim of the wheel, it's done backward from how the rim is normally situated. The result is different clearances for brake and suspension parts. This graphic explains it a lot better than I can.

Fun fact I learned in finding that picture: on the original Mini Cooper S, the standard wheel was 3.5" wide. That 4.5" wheel is the optional upgrade. :aaa:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Interesting, thank you :) Reverse it is.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Sometime this year or next, my car will pass the magical 50k mile mark. When I replace my shocks, I figured I'd throw in aftermarket parts while I was down there for a stiffer ride and take care of wheel gap. My question is--for a daily driver--should I go all out with a coil-over kit or stick with sport shocks and springs? Also, when should I be concerned about camber angle and how would I adjust it?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
What does it mean when my car seems to be sputtering, like it isn't getting enough gas when accellerating? It's a little more noticeable coming out of a stop, doesn't seem to happen much in the 30+ MPH range.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Knightmare posted:

What does it mean when my car seems to be sputtering, like it isn't getting enough gas when accellerating? It's a little more noticeable coming out of a stop, doesn't seem to happen much in the 30+ MPH range.

Timing, possibly. Need more details.

RC212V
Nov 17, 2006

by Eris Is Goddess
Does it seem likely at all that the Honda Civic Type-S 4 door hatchback will make it to the states? There was a rumor that the Type R might make it over in 2010.

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God

Minto Took posted:

Sometime this year or next, my car will pass the magical 50k mile mark. When I replace my shocks, I figured I'd throw in aftermarket parts while I was down there for a stiffer ride and take care of wheel gap. My question is--for a daily driver--should I go all out with a coil-over kit or stick with sport shocks and springs? Also, when should I be concerned about camber angle and how would I adjust it?

for a daily driver I wouldn't go with coilovers. That'd be a hell of a stiff ride and you'd run the risk of bottoming out. What car?

Also, your camber angle will become more negative the more you drop the car. you adjust it with either cams on the upper and lower control arms, changing bolts on the strut, or something similar. Hard to say without knowing what car and what type of suspension it has. Or what your goals are- DD, solo2, track, ect.

shempskaya
Apr 22, 2006

"Ladies don't bet," she said, poker-faced.
Anybody have any experience dealing with Libery Mutual? Some guy rear-ended me Monday, and now I have to go through them to get it fixed. I know they'll make me go through some approved shop, but their website doesn't have a list. I'm just hoping they're not as much of a pain in the rear end as Progressive.

:( :

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Quick question for you AIers.

Long version:

I have a 93 Cadillac Sedan Deville. Today I go outside to start it and the battery was completely drained. So my dad and I hook up the jumper cables, and before I even put my keys in the ignition, a fan started up. I get in my car and semi cold air is being blown at my feet, just like if the AC was on. But my car wasn't on...So we jump it, get it to start, I drive around a bit bring it back home and turn it off. Once again the fan keeps blowing. The only way we could get it to turn off was to take out the "AC" fuse from under the hood. Has anyone ever heard of something like this happening? I'm not super good with cars, but any point in the right direction would be nice. Take it to the Cadillac dealer($), family mechanic, or simple fix?

Short version:

my AC fan(or something like it), stays on even when my car is off. Only way to stop it is take out the fuse. Any advice?

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

DoctaFun posted:

Short version:

my AC fan(or something like it), stays on even when my car is off. Only way to stop it is take out the fuse. Any advice?
Sounds like a bad relay and/or switch. One of them is stuck in the on position and so it's constantly feeding power to the fan. That's also probably why your battery was dead, in case you didn't figure that out. I'm not familiar with Sedan Devilles, but usually a relay or switch is an easy plug-in replacement, if you know how to get to it.

TAG BODY SPRAY
Jan 25, 2006

Are High Mileage Miatas something to worry about?

I'm looking at a 1999 Miata with 139k miles.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=221504177

Dealer wants 8k, but it has a hardtop and that's a heavy bargaining chip.

Lean Six Ligma
Nov 26, 2005

Dirty Fuckin' Dangles, Boys
I have two questions about my 1992 saturn SL1

recently, when you start it, even with the clutch kept in, it revs up to about 2k and then sputters to a stall. What the hell?

Also, I was taking a look at the #1 spark plug, and now I have a hard time getting the wire back on. These are those stupid GM plug wires with the long boot. Is there something I'm missing or should I spring for new wires?

Grimhunter
Nov 27, 2006
Question time!! I have a Warn grill guard that has accumulated a significant amount of rust. when i was watching TRUCKS on spike the other day, they showed a cool technique using a tub of water and baking soda and a battery charger to remove rust from pieces of metal.

So I actually have 3 questions,

1ST: does anyone know what this technique is?
2ND: can someone tell the the specifics (e.g how much baking soda in water, how many amps)
3RD: This should work for rust, but will it also work for paint?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Grimhunter posted:

Question time!! I have a Warn grill guard that has accumulated a significant amount of rust. when i was watching TRUCKS on spike the other day, they showed a cool technique using a tub of water and baking soda and a battery charger to remove rust from pieces of metal.

So I actually have 3 questions,

1ST: does anyone know what this technique is?
2ND: can someone tell the the specifics (e.g how much baking soda in water, how many amps)
3RD: This should work for rust, but will it also work for paint?

I found these through google:

http://www3.telus.net/public/aschoepp/electrolyticrust.html
http://www.chip.com/buick/techtips/rustremoval.html
http://www.davidbradley.net/ERR.html

vwdriver
Sep 18, 2004

IF OBSERVATION IS BULLSHIT THEN WHY CAN PEOPLE OBSERVE ME BEING A RETARD?????
Today I basically brushed up against a curb while parking. Is it a good idea to rebalance the tires?

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God

vwdriver posted:

Today I basically brushed up against a curb while parking. Is it a good idea to rebalance the tires?

If you notice a lack of wheel weights (there should be like an imprint where a weight was) and your steering wheel is shimmying or vibrating then sure, but generally wheels dont become out of balance unless you remount tires on them (The tire being the part that is generally out of balance).

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
Nevermind, sorted it out. Just got some leverage on those puppies. The pin advice is a farse though. Checking out those arms I think it must be some other model that you can do that with.

quote:

Original question: I have a tiny problem. My wiper transmission has gone out in some way. I figure I'd see if I could fix it so I picked up a repair manual for my '98 Grand Prix. Unfortunately I can't get the wiper arms off of the transmission shaft.

My basic problem is that I can't insert a pin to hold the spring loaded arms off of the windshield, so it exerts a force on the shaft and I can't rock it out of place.

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0e/d8/3a/0900823d800ed83a/repairInfoPages.htm

There is a copy of the guide online, with the steps. I just googled up the exact phrase my book used and found this online guide. I'm really scratchin' my head here, but I can't get anything to hold the wiper arm off the glass so that I can rock that puppy out. It says I can use a battery puller, but gently caress if I have one of those.

Any ideas?

Edit: Now with picture.

I'm assuming they mean hole A as hole B is not really a hole. But no matter how much I finaggle with it, I can't get anything to hold it up. When it is pulled up all of the there is a piece that is in the way, and whenever it is down all of the way I can fit a pin all the way through it, but of course that really doesn't do me any good.

Hinchu fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 11, 2007

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

AXE EFFECT posted:

Are High Mileage Miatas something to worry about?

I'm looking at a 1999 Miata with 139k miles.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=221504177

Dealer wants 8k, but it has a hardtop and that's a heavy bargaining chip.

As long as it was well maintained and everything done on schedule, that's not particularly something to worry about. The motor (and well, pretty much everything else) is pretty solid on Miatas. I know the 99/00 had the issue with the #4 thurst bearing, but I really don't know much about it, so read up on it on miata.net. I think the 99/00 (or maybe it was later) also has a tendency to consume coilpacks faster than normal, but again, not an expert, so read up on it.

Overall, an 139k mile Miata has a LOT of life left in it if it has been taken care of and will continue to be taken care of.

Grimhunter
Nov 27, 2006

Thanks a lot, this is working very nicely. Left over paint isn't coming off so nicely though.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
What is the general feeling against CVT in USA? Also how would a CVT car fare in drag racing?

struan87
Sep 8, 2004

What's your sign?

Grimwall posted:

What is the general feeling against CVT in USA? Also how would a CVT car fare in drag racing?
Is there a general feeling against CVT? There might be some mistrust because it's "new" and "different" but it seems like it's becoming more common.

As for drag racing: the CVTs used in passenger cars today have a pretty low torque limit. They probably wouldn't help much in a drag car because any benefits would be overshadowed by the low torque the engine would have to have. A 250ft-lb car operating at peak power probably wouldn't win against a 500ft-lb car with an automatic transmission.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

struan87 posted:

Is there a general feeling against CVT? There might be some mistrust because it's "new" and "different" but it seems like it's becoming more common.

As for drag racing: the CVTs used in passenger cars today have a pretty low torque limit. They probably wouldn't help much in a drag car because any benefits would be overshadowed by the low torque the engine would have to have. A 250ft-lb car operating at peak power probably wouldn't win against a 500ft-lb car with an automatic transmission.

Weren't there new some new developments in CVT tech that overcome the low torque limit?

struan87
Sep 8, 2004

What's your sign?

Grimwall posted:

Weren't there new some new developments in CVT tech that overcome the low torque limit?
I don't really know, I haven't kept up with it. I know Nissan recently came out with a new one that had a higher limit (~250ft-lbs) but I don't know of any that have no limit. I guess it depends on whether you consider 250 low :)

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Pitch posted:

Sounds like a bad relay and/or switch. One of them is stuck in the on position and so it's constantly feeding power to the fan. That's also probably why your battery was dead, in case you didn't figure that out. I'm not familiar with Sedan Devilles, but usually a relay or switch is an easy plug-in replacement, if you know how to get to it.

Thanks for the reply Pitch, sounds like that is probably the problem and I'll check into that. Think the manual would give an idea how to replace that?

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
I've gotten for about a year or so a semi sweet burning smell after running my car for a while. I notice it while stopped at a light or getting out of the car, especially after driving hard. I've noticed no other problems, but sometimes it is strong enough that my passengers comment on a burning smell. I believe it is strongest near the radiator, but not sure really. My coolant level has not changed much at all in the past year, so I don't believe that is leaking.

Any ideas to what is burning? The car is a 2001 Mazda Protege MP3.

poppingseagull fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 11, 2007

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

poppingseagull posted:

I've gotten for about a year or so a semi sweet burning smell after running my car for a while. I notice it while stopped at a light or getting out of the car, especially after driving hard. I've noticed no other problems, but sometimes it is strong enough that my passengers comment on a burning smell. I believe it is strongest near the radiator, but not sure really. My coolant level has not changed much at all in the past year, so I don't believe that is leaking.

When my mom's coolant hose burst, it smelled like burning maple syrup. I guess it's your coolant leaking somewhere.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

shempskaya posted:

Anybody have any experience dealing with Libery Mutual? Some guy rear-ended me Monday, and now I have to go through them to get it fixed. I know they'll make me go through some approved shop, but their website doesn't have a list.

Don't know if it's true in your state, but in some states insurers are legally required to pay for the shop of your choice and cannot require an "approved" shop. Even in states where this is the case, insurance companies like to assume you don't know this and try to get you to go to a cheap/kickback shop.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

poppingseagull posted:

Check your upper radiator hose, it's probably leaking onto the hot engine causing it to burn.

TAG BODY SPRAY
Jan 25, 2006

Would buying this 2.5 RS be a really stupid Idea?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=222565173

It HAS to have a salvage title or some such.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Guinness posted:

I know the 99/00 had the issue with the #4 thurst bearing, but I really don't know much about it, so read up on it on miata.net.
No way this should be an issue on a '99 that has made it 139k already. It tends to eat engines in the 0-20k mile range.

That being said, 9k seems like too much for a '99 with 139k (even with a hardtop, which makes it actually 8k). See if you can talk another 1-2k off of him. Of course Miatas have a lot of regional variation, and it is spring, so if you need it now you may be stuck (shop around).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

AXE EFFECT posted:

Would buying this 2.5 RS be a really stupid Idea?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=222565173

It HAS to have a salvage title or some such.

It says right at the bottom that their cars come from salvage places. I wouldn't buy it, but that's me.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

Sexy Santorum posted:

Check your upper radiator hose, it's probably leaking onto the hot engine causing it to burn.

Checked and thats not it.

Perhaps next time I smell it I'll pop the hood and try to narrow it down more.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Edit: Found it.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 14, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've seen a lot of signs on interstates in construction areas that say "Trucks Use Left Lane." What is the proper thing for cars to do in that situation? Do you continue driving on the right and passing on the left? Do you drive on the left and pass on the right?

• Locked thread