Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Wolfsheim posted:

Maybe her alignment isn't actually chaotic good?
Hmmm, she did describe herself as "Chaotic Good-ish", but why would that be the 'secret' even V doesn't know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Geshtal posted:

Hmmm, she did describe herself as "Chaotic Good-ish", but why would that be the 'secret' even V doesn't know?

No, she didn't detect as evil to Miko. Her driving goal is getting money to free her father. So she's good. And she's definitely not lawful.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Geshtal posted:

Man I don't know I'm just tossing out half-baked theories, I'm not enough of a rules-nerd to know the ins and outs of what weird class/race/alignment/gender secrets PCs can have

gothfae posted:

No, she didn't detect as evil to Miko. Her driving goal is getting money to free her father. So she's good. And she's definitely not lawful.

True, but as one of the cops in the Cliffport arc mentioned, you can get around that with illusions.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
She could still be neutral and not show up as evil, but Burlow has said that everyone on the party except Belkar is good-aligned (though he later took that back, it's suspected because V is neutral, not Haley). She flipped the rune in the dungeon that had to be done by someone of pure heart (normally read good alignment), and she described herself as chaotic good too.

'Human' seems to fit in best, a lot of people suggest a half-celestial of some kind since it even fits Sabine being a fiend.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax

sakesniper posted:

I guess I'm the only one who thinks this sudden change of heart for Redcloak is kind of dumb.
It does seem a bit like a plot revision, but i'm liking it for the fiendish mastadon all the same.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
She's not actually a rogue! She's a bard with no ranks in perform.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Geshtal posted:

for Pete's sake, he used a Titanium Elemental and people are getting pissy about the rules now?
No. I'm getting pissy because the story element itself was stupid. It's like he shows us a gun in the first act, and then in the second act he throws a banana peel in front of the bad guy, who immediately slips and breaks his neck.

Spaz mk. 2.0
Apr 19, 2005

Shank 'em if ya got 'em, fellas!
At no point was it hinted at that the Sapphire guard as a whole would get some big dramatic showdown, everybody that died wasn't given a name and were introduced in the strip previous to it, and nowhere is it stated that because you're a good guy you deserve to die in a noble manner. This Azure City war arc has gone on for quite some time already and I don't think Rich wanted to spend an unnecessary amount of time on something that in the end wouldn't matter.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
You know, I bet Redcloak's sudden change of heart will make sense once people read his backstory in start of darkness.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Gassire posted:

She's not actually a rogue! She's a bard with no ranks in perform.

She Sneak Attacks, she's at least a little Rogueish.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Backdoor Blanche posted:

If Redcloak wants the war to end NOW, why doesn't he let the shadow-covered monster fight?

Redcloak hates the MitS and has spent the entire comic up until this point being annoyed by it. The MitS is also so stupid that the best way to get it to do something is to order it to do the precise opposite of whatever you want it to do. I can see why he'd just ignore it in a situation like this one.

rantmo posted:

She Sneak Attacks, she's at least a little Rogueish.

She swapped out her Bardic Lore for dice of Sneak Attack, Unearthed Arcana-styles :X

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

No, her trapfinding is too good to be from the bard class. I would say she's a rogue, but probably has some weird racial variant or template on her.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"I may not be exactly what you would call-" doesn't have to end with "human", and I'd say it's fairly unlikely it does. There's a whole host of things it could be.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think the last name 'Starshine' gives some weight to the not-totally-human theory. That sounds to me like a name you give to....not a family of thieves, at the very least.

I'm not sure if it's okay to discuss content exclusive to the books, but this is pretty minor, so I'm going to ask it: I just purchased the first book, Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, and on one of the back pages, he gives hints for future storylines. Since this was written back in 2005, most of the stories have already been broached (Roy's sister, Haley's father, the gates, the introduction of a paladin, a romance subplot). There's one future storyline in his list that I can't recall ever being seen in the strip: "Vaarsuvis' family". Come to think of it, V has had the least character development of any of the OotSers. Did I miss a strip somewhere? Has he just not gotten to it? Is this stuff in one of the other books?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Bobulus posted:

I think the last name 'Starshine' gives some weight to the not-totally-human theory. That sounds to me like a name you give to....not a family of thieves, at the very least.

I'm not sure if it's okay to discuss content exclusive to the books, but this is pretty minor, so I'm going to ask it: I just purchased the first book, Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, and on one of the back pages, he gives hints for future storylines. Since this was written back in 2005, most of the stories have already been broached (Roy's sister, Haley's father, the gates, the introduction of a paladin, a romance subplot). There's one future storyline in his list that I can't recall ever being seen in the strip: "Vaarsuvis' family". Come to think of it, V has had the least character development of any of the OotSers. Did I miss a strip somewhere? Has he just not gotten to it? Is this stuff in one of the other books?

I think V mentioned having a husband once, waaaay back before they met Miko, but after they had destroyed the first gate.

Edit: Ok, wrong on two parts, it was while they were with Miko, and V only says "mate", not an actual gender specific term
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0223.html

Cowcaster posted:

V mentioned being married. No gender was mentioned, deliberately.

Yeah, I noticed that when I looked for the link.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 12, 2007

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the_steve posted:

I think V mentioned having a husband once, waaaay back before they met Miko, but after they had destroyed the first gate.

V mentioned being married. No gender was mentioned, deliberately.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I'm guessing that somewhere in Haley's family tree is a Celestial. Rich Burlew did say in the first compilation of comics that the animosity between Haley and Sabine went deeper than simple arbitrary catiness, but that it hinged on a secret that wouldn't get revealed until later. I wouldn't be surprised if Haley turned out to be an Aasimar or whatever the watered-down-an-additional-step version of an Aasimar is.

Support for this theory: Animosity between Haley and Sabine, the fact that the angels Xykon slew en masse in his old tower actually had Haley's exact face and hair style ('cept their hair was green).

Also, Redcloak can probably summon a fiendish mastodon on the theory that "Celestial Elephant" is on the Summon Monster 7 list and a fiendish mastodon is probably a rough equivalent in terms of power.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Fuego Fish posted:

"I may not be exactly what you would call-" doesn't have to end with "human", and I'd say it's fairly unlikely it does. There's a whole host of things it could be.

I agree she could have finished her sentence with "honest" or "open" for example. The idea that she meant she isn't human does seem like a bit f a stretch, though I suppose it would fit to an extent as a counter to Sabine (though the latter is a fiend rather than a tiefling).

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Man, I've never been so excited for the next strip.

I don't even care if we see Belkar, Redcloak, Xykon, V, or what--there's just so much awesome goings-on that anything seems like it'd be a great strip. Well, maybe except Durkon or Elan or something.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Durkon still needs to uncork some random moment of awesome, and that's pretty much what they'd need at this point.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Wanderer posted:

Durkon still needs to uncork some random moment of awesome, and that's pretty much what they'd need at this point.

Yeah, he hasn't done much this battle yet and a cleric vs cleric fight is :awesome:

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

this debate lacks any sexual intrigue so I am not even paying attention

clockworkjoe posted:

Yeah, he hasn't done much this battle yet and a cleric vs cleric fight is :awesome:

I'm betting Redcloak'd crush Durkon, but yeah I do wanna see him do something.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

green leaf salad posted:

I'm betting Redcloak'd crush Durkon, but yeah I do wanna see him do something.

Don't forget the third Xykon fake;he seems pretty formidable, and relatively close to where Durkon and the other PCs are stationed. I mean, you see him chucking a big gently caress-off fireball up at the wall in the big splash-page from Wednesday's comic.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.
If we're just going by the whole string of speech Haley was saying in that strip, I'm going to guess you guys are reading WAY TOO DEEP into it.

She just said she kissed a girl once.

Okay, more than once.

I'm not exactly what you would call straight.

Then again, I always hated analyzation in english classes...

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Kahrytes posted:

If we're just going by the whole string of speech Haley was saying in that strip, I'm going to guess you guys are reading WAY TOO DEEP into it.

She just said she kissed a girl once.

Okay, more than once.

I'm not exactly what you would call straight.

Then again, I always hated analyzation in english classes...

I went over that too... if it had followed directly from the first two it would have been the comedic answer, but she stops to have an internal argument with herself. HEr likeness to the Angels including the stray hair, kind of bothered me, and her being the spiritual counterpart of Sabine makes too much sense now.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Ferrinus posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Haley turned out to be an Aasimar or whatever the watered-down-an-additional-step version of an Aasimar is.

I was under the impression that an Aasimar was already pretty watered down. It's not a half-celestial, it's just having a celestial in your bloodline SOMEWHERE.
Just like with Tiefling. There's another word for a half-demon, I think that begins with C.

And I don't see why people are debating what Hayley said in symbol language since someone already posted the definitive link of what she said!

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Taear posted:

I was under the impression that an Aasimar was already pretty watered down. It's not a half-celestial, it's just having a celestial in your bloodline SOMEWHERE.
Just like with Tiefling. There's another word for a half-demon, I think that begins with C.

And I don't see why people are debating what Hayley said in symbol language since someone already posted the definitive link of what she said!

Cambion

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

gothfae posted:

Cambion
Is this an actual race or just a name they throw out, since it seems kind of redundant when we have the half-fiend template?

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Panty_HaX0r posted:

Is this an actual race or just a name they throw out, since it seems kind of redundant when we have the half-fiend template?

It's a Half-demon. It's a 'race' as much as a demon is. Medievally they are the offspring of a human and incubus/succubus, a la Merlin. Cambions are first ed. Before they made up all this Tiefling and Aasamir crap. It predates templates though it may be a template now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambion

Dungeons & Dragons

In the fantasy roleplaying game Dungeons & Dragons the word cambion refers to a male "half-fiend", a cross between a fiend and another creature, often a human. The term alu-fiend refers to its female counterpart. In the 3rd Edition, cambions are the offspring of a tanar'ri father & a planetouched mother, often a tiefling. Iuz the Old of the World of Greyhawk game setting is referred to as a cambion. He is the son of the witch Iggwilv and the demon Graz'zt. In addition to his human form of an old man, he can appear as a seven foot tall, maroon demon with green eyes.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Rereading some of the old strips, I'm surprised Haley reacts so much to a Detect Evil spell.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0202.html

Almost as if she's worried that it will detect something she doesn't want known. But she doesn't seem evil, and doesn't register evil, so I'm not sure what it means.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Bobulus posted:

Rereading some of the old strips, I'm surprised Haley reacts so much to a Detect Evil spell.

Almost as if she's worried that it will detect something she doesn't want known. But she doesn't seem evil, and doesn't register evil, so I'm not sure what it means.

I think it's because she hated Miko from the start. Elan looks confused and V also looks annoyed, though you could attribute that to the filth.

Either way, keep in mind that Miko was one good attack away from killing Roy just a few minutes ago, and isn't entirely sure what's going on at the moment. Durkon is the only one who thinks he has a grasp on the situation.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

the_steve posted:

Either way, keep in mind that Miko was one good attack away from killing Roy just a few minutes ago, and isn't entirely sure what's going on at the moment. Durkon is the only one who thinks he has a grasp on the situation.

Durkon is that player that can rationalize anything, no matter how outrageous, as long as he thinks he is adhering to the GM's plotline.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

I'm guessing that somewhere in Haley's family tree is a Celestial. Rich Burlew did say in the first compilation of comics that the animosity between Haley and Sabine went deeper than simple arbitrary catiness, but that it hinged on a secret that wouldn't get revealed until later. I wouldn't be surprised if Haley turned out to be an Aasimar or whatever the watered-down-an-additional-step version of an Aasimar is.

Support for this theory: Animosity between Haley and Sabine, the fact that the angels Xykon slew en masse in his old tower actually had Haley's exact face and hair style ('cept their hair was green).

Also, Redcloak can probably summon a fiendish mastodon on the theory that "Celestial Elephant" is on the Summon Monster 7 list and a fiendish mastodon is probably a rough equivalent in terms of power.

You guys do realize that whenever you speculate correctly about something Burlew changes it right

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible

gothfae posted:

It's a Half-demon. It's a 'race' as much as a demon is. Medievally they are the offspring of a human and incubus/succubus, a la Merlin. Cambions are first ed. Before they made up all this Tiefling and Aasamir crap. It predates templates though it may be a template now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambion

Dungeons & Dragons

In the fantasy roleplaying game Dungeons & Dragons the word cambion refers to a male "half-fiend", a cross between a fiend and another creature, often a human. The term alu-fiend refers to its female counterpart. In the 3rd Edition, cambions are the offspring of a tanar'ri father & a planetouched mother, often a tiefling. Iuz the Old of the World of Greyhawk game setting is referred to as a cambion. He is the son of the witch Iggwilv and the demon Graz'zt. In addition to his human form of an old man, he can appear as a seven foot tall, maroon demon with green eyes.
Also at least in 2nd edition there was a difference between Major cambions (children of a mortal and a lesser or greater Tanar'ri) and baron / marquis cambions (the children of ttrue Tanar'ri). Baron cambions were more powerful than major cambions at least in general.

Although since in 2nd edition the term Alu-fiend only referred to female children of succubi and mortals I guess the rules have changed a bit since then.

[edit] I also need to complain about this article since it doesn't mention Rule-of-Three.

Volga Boatman fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 13, 2007

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Volga Boatman posted:

Also at least in 2nd edition there was a difference between Major cambions (children of a mortal and a lesser or greater Tanar'ri) and baron / marquis cambions (the children of ttrue Tanar'ri). Baron cambions were more powerful than major cambions at least in general.

Although since in 2nd edition the term Alu-fiend only referred to female children of succubi and mortals I guess the rules have changed a bit since then.

[edit] I also need to complain about this article since it doesn't mention Rule-of-Three.

So...

Tiefling - Somewhere in the distant past, someone bumped uglies with an infernal and it's in your blood.

Cambion - Your momma bumped uglies with Demogorgon.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
There's also half-fiends. Tiefling is a race, half-fiend is a template (that can be applied to any creature), cambion is it's own creature/statblock.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Cambion is really a leftover from the older editions of D&D. While there is a 3.x workup somewhere, the fiendish and half fiend templates have replaced it.

Hedgehog King
Feb 7, 2005
It's just after lunch time on a Thursday. Do you know where your towel is?
Im not sure if anyone cares at this point, but the new Erf World is up.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Bobulus posted:

Using alignment detection spells is considered to be very impolite in D&D. By using them, you are stating that you don't trust the other person in the slightest and consider them to be duplicitous or worse. Perhaps that's why she objected to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Factor_VIII posted:

Using alignment detection spells is considered to be very impolite in D&D. By using them, you are stating that you don't trust the other person in the slightest and consider them to be duplicitous or worse. Perhaps that's why she objected to it.

Heh... My 16th level Fundamentalist will Detect Homosexuality on all of you, please hold still.

edit: wow... Happy elf.. how long have I had you on my ignore list. A year? And I thought the patchy conversation was fried synapses in my short term memory. There, that's all fixed, once again privy to the mind of the Righteous Djinn. Smokeless Fire. Jihads.. that kind of thing.

gothfae fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 13, 2007