Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Pawn 17 posted:

The T line is loving ghetto. Sometimes I have to catch it instead of the J and today some very young mother was changing her baby's diaper on the train. Then her boyfriend took the dirty diaper and threw it onto the train floor. This was after they got into a confrontation with 2 old dudes. I also enjoy all the gangsters and their icy "look me in the eyes and you're gunna get stabbed" stares.

Now I don't remember the number of the bus but in terms of ghetto my best experience was hopping on one just to take me up Market one day when I was doped up from the dentist. You know you're on a good bus when people are smoking crack in the back. :D

It's also pretty funny that one of the reasons I'm most excited about finishing up with school is that it means no more trips on the 22. I've seen scary crap on that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

Aw, hell no! What's up, dog?
This might be better suited for TCC, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask here. I am a senior in college and graduating exactly a month from today. I go to school in Ohio and am planning on moving to San Francisco immediately after graduation with my girlfriend. I have been applying for jobs and have received some callbacks etc. I guess my question is really, are most places in SF where I would be applying for entry-level office or helpdesk type jobs going to be drug testing me no matter what? I ask because I am a very heavy pot smoker, and basically, if I am going to be tested, I obviously need to quit smoking right about now. Also, I don't know that much about California's decrmininalization / medical marijuana policies, but I know that I could easily get a prescription for pot once I move down there. If you have a prescription, will that hurt your chances of getting a job? If you have a prescription, will that be enough to keep it from mattering if I test positive for marijuana? I assume that having a prescription for marijuana in California is no more of a reason not to hire someone than it would be if they had been injured and had a Percocet prescription or something like that, but I could obviously be wrong. Any ideas, thoughts, etc.?

Eugenics
Mar 25, 2007
Because I'm better than you
Could anybody perhaps give some more advice/elaborate more on moving to SF? I'm 20 years old and am kind of dissatisfied with living in los angeles. I would like to attend community college and work part time to pay rent/school, plus I have some money saved and minimal help from parents. I want to move into SF because I have an obsession for big buildings. Skyscrapers/highrises, and large apartment buildings to be exact. Living in LA makes me kind of lonely because I have to drive twenty minutes or more ( on a good day at a good time) to see a friend in santa monica or torrance or a beach city. Everything is so spread out and it pisses me off. Plus most community colleges suck around here. Taking multiple freeways and pretty much getting royally hosed all the time on traffic, not to mention the god awful 405 reconstruction/expansion poo poo :wtc:

I guess what i'm trying to say is, is it viable for me to make a move to SF or berkeley at this point in my life? Or should I just tough it out and find somewhere better in LA to live. What I'm really looking for, I suppose, is somewhat of a more artistic/creative/culturally rich place to live with people around my age( 18-25 ). I'd like anyone who lives in LA to chime in and tell me if i'm wrong about anything i've said pertaining to the city, or anything i've missed!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Eugenics posted:

I want to move into SF because I have an obsession for big buildings. Skyscrapers/highrises, and large apartment buildings to be exact. Living in LA makes me kind of lonely because I have to drive twenty minutes or more ( on a good day at a good time) to see a friend in santa monica or torrance or a beach city. Everything is so spread out and it pisses me off. Plus most community colleges suck around here. Taking multiple freeways and pretty much getting royally hosed all the time on traffic, not to mention the god awful 405 reconstruction/expansion poo poo :wtc:

If you're interested in skyscrapers and highrises, San Francisco is one of the last places you should move to. Buildings even in downtown aren't all that tall, and the skyscrapers we do have are fairly insipid architecturally. If you actually interested in skyscrapers, wouldn't moving to NYC or Chicago be a much better option?

Eugenics
Mar 25, 2007
Because I'm better than you

gret posted:

If you're interested in skyscrapers and highrises, San Francisco is one of the last places you should move to. Buildings even in downtown aren't all that tall, and the skyscrapers we do have are fairly insipid architecturally. If you actually interested in skyscrapers, wouldn't moving to NYC or Chicago be a much better option?

Well, I'd definitely love to live in either of those places! But I do have an affection for the west coast. Plus I dont know anybody in either of those cities. At least in SF I have a couple friends and a relatively distant cousin.

I guess I'm just so used to this suburban sprawl, where single story houses plotted along grids for miles and miles is all you get so pretty much any kind of 5+ story building is pretty huge for me.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Eugenics posted:

I guess what i'm trying to say is, is it viable for me to make a move to SF or berkeley at this point in my life? Or should I just tough it out and find somewhere better in LA to live. What I'm really looking for, I suppose, is somewhat of a more artistic/creative/culturally rich place to live with people around my age( 18-25 ). I'd like anyone who lives in LA to chime in and tell me if i'm wrong about anything i've said pertaining to the city, or anything i've missed!

S.F. and Berkeley have EXTREMELY rich cultures and history. There's the Palace of Fine Arts, SFMOMA, DeYoung to name the famous ones. Castro's still has plenty of flaming, classy gays, Haight's got the potheads, Sunset's got better Chinese food than Chinatown, and the hills make for great walking and living. Parking's a bitch. Public transpo is better than L.A. Napa Valley's a drive away, and Monterey's got some great beaches. Berkeley's just Berkeley. Downtown/UC Berkeley's always cool to see.

I agree with Gret, the building's aren't that impressive - the same goes with Seattle. Chicago and New York have the richest architecture in the country.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Is it even possible to live in San Francisco, working in the financial district, making 42k a year, if my job requires a car? Am I going to be broke as gently caress?

I'm thinking that would be like making 30k (maybe) in Raleigh.

Car is a paid off 99 pathfinder if that matters

edit

Does anyone know about Santa Cruz? Same question for there as well

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 25, 2007

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
I'd like to know what Dublin, CA is like. I'm considering taking a reserve band position in Dublin, CA. The army would fly me out for my weekend / 2 weeks. I'm taking a trip out there in a few weeks to audition, and just want to know a little bit about it.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Ribsauce posted:

Is it even possible to live in San Francisco, working in the financial district, making 42k a year, if my job requires a car? Am I going to be broke as gently caress?

I'm thinking that would be like making 30k (maybe) in Raleigh.

Car is a paid off 99 pathfinder if that matters

edit

Does anyone know about Santa Cruz? Same question for there as well

Depends on your definition of broke. Money'll definitely be tight in the city, and you'll need to be careful, but you certainly won't be dirt poor. People live off less than that. You'll likely have to get a place in a bad neighborhood, or outside of SF proper, and will almost certainly want a room mate. Having a lot to park your car will not be cheap.

Santa Cruz is less expensive than SF. You'll end up in an place geared towards students, you will probably want a room mate, the car will be less problematic.

So is it possible? Yes. You'll never own a house. You'll need to manage your budget. There are a lot of people who live on less.

Zoccoli
Feb 12, 2004

Everything that stands will be at odds with its neighbor, and everything that falls will perish without grace

ryan_woody posted:

I'd like to know what Dublin, CA is like. I'm considering taking a reserve band position in Dublin, CA. The army would fly me out for my weekend / 2 weeks. I'm taking a trip out there in a few weeks to audition, and just want to know a little bit about it.
Do you like the mind-numbing sameness of chain stores, the boredom of suburbia and the inanity half-assed development planning? If yes, then Dublin is your dream city! There was an article in the paper years ago about how someone visited the several American cities named Dublin and ranked Dublin, CA as one of the worst. :v:

Seriously though, while it's by no means a horrible place to live, it also has nothing of interest. It's just the suburbs. The city also never says no to commercial developers and piles of cash, so every development that gets shot down in Livermore/Pleasanton seems to reappear in Dublin, for better or for worse. You can easily take the train to Oakland or San Francisco for fun stuff, though. I take it you're going to be in Camp Parks (that's the name, right?), which is right next to the train station. For anything else off-base, you will need to borrow/rent/steal a car, as the bus system in the Tri-Valley isn't very good.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Zoccoli posted:

Do you like the mind-numbing sameness of chain stores, the boredom of suburbia and the inanity half-assed development planning? If yes, then Dublin is your dream city! There was an article in the paper years ago about how someone visited the several American cities named Dublin and ranked Dublin, CA as one of the worst. :v:

Seriously though, while it's by no means a horrible place to live, it also has nothing of interest. It's just the suburbs. The city also never says no to commercial developers and piles of cash, so every development that gets shot down in Livermore/Pleasanton seems to reappear in Dublin, for better or for worse. You can easily take the train to Oakland or San Francisco for fun stuff, though. I take it you're going to be in Camp Parks (that's the name, right?), which is right next to the train station. For anything else off-base, you will need to borrow/rent/steal a car, as the bus system in the Tri-Valley isn't very good.

I see... well I don't know how much free time I'll have if I actually enlist and go there, but this weekend I should find some time to putz around SF.

hermanos
Dec 30, 2005

Magoo said that the "bird's the word"
But the Fur Byrd Gang flip birds on curbs
I'm going to be in SF apartment hunting from April 29 to May 2. I'm checking out Craigslist and all that, but if anyone else knows of places with vacancies and reasonable prices, can you drop me a line here?

edit: also, can any SF vets tell me how much you pay for internet and utilities?

hermanos fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 26, 2007

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.
Hail Goons. I'll be heading over to S.F for no good reason other than it's a sunny day with no clouds. I'll be taking the noon Caltrain from SJ. Also, I'm seriously thinking walking across the Golden Gate just because I can. If the tourists spend thousands of dollars just to do that, well, hell, I'll do it for less than $30. Aside from that, I've NO CLUE what I'll do aside roaming the city (North Beach, downtown, Meteron, Union, Japantown, Chinatown, etc. etc.)

I'll be checking this thread and my IM until 11:30 a.m.

IM me for details. :D

ArmyGroup303 fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 12, 2007

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

Floating in much the same way that bricks don't.
Mothafuckin' Exploratorium!

That is what you should do in SF.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
I read about discussions of the homeless problem a wways back, but it kind of trailed of, so I'm wondering:

When I was in San Francisco, the basic policy I was told to follow was to not regard anybody on the street, even if they were directly trying to interact with you. I strayed once and almost got in a fight, but I can't shake the feeling that this policy is a little dehumanizing. I know giving them money is a bad idea, but is total disregard always necessary?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Swivel Master posted:

Mothafuckin' Exploratorium!

That is what you should do in SF.

Unless you have problems with blinking lights!
I went last weekend when my parents were in town and I got the biggest loving migraine ever from all the blinking lights in one area. I wanted to kill people. But I encourage people to check out the palace of fine arts- last weekend they had sectioned off one area of the little pond because a swan was nesting. She was cuddling with another swan when I was there and a third swan was keeping watch. Cute!

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

I know giving them money is a bad idea, but is total disregard always necessary?

I feel like engaging them without giving them money just annoys them but ignoring them makes me feel really sick inside. I hate going downtown for that reason, you pass a bunch of people asking for money and ignore them and feel like poo poo for it later.

flowmotion
Nov 12, 2006

by Ozmaugh

Ozma posted:

I feel like engaging them without giving them money just annoys them but ignoring them makes me feel really sick inside. I hate going downtown for that reason, you pass a bunch of people asking for money and ignore them and feel like poo poo for it later.
If it makes you feel any better, most of the really insistent panhandlers in the financial district are professionals and probably are not homeless. They also have a nose for tourists.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I just treat panhandlers like any other person who talks to me. I look them in the eye, and say sorry i don't have anything, or if I'm in a good mood I'll give em something.

I know if I were asking people for poo poo, I would like to be treated respectfully, and without disgust, or fear, or worst in my mind -- being completely ignored...so that's how i treat homeless people...how I would wanna be treated. Pretty simple.

Sometimes you have crazy or violent people and in those situations I just try to look intimidating and unapproachable, and they'll usually bother someone else. I'm a big guy though, so that's easy for me to do...

Then sometimes there are the people who you KNOW are loving with you, making up stories about raising money to prevent suicide or to get to the hospital or some ridiculous poo poo. They know they're bullshitting, and if you know they are, they'll know that you know, so you don't have to be nice to them. They're just playing the game, and they'll continue on to the next person.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 14, 2007

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

The MoMA has a glorious exhibition on Picasso and his American contemporaries. B of A customers for the entire month of May get in for free, PLUS a guest!

It's an excellent arrangement, unless of course you are not an art fag. :emo:

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Sabacc posted:

The MoMA has a glorious exhibition on Picasso and his American contemporaries. B of A customers for the entire month of May get in for free, PLUS a guest!

If you pay normally I believe there's an extra fee for Picasso.

I thought the exhibit was a tad disappointing because I had hoped for more Picasso. But then again I LOATHE Pollock so he tainted the entire exhibition for me.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Hail Goons. I'll be heading over to S.F for no good reason other than it's a sunny day with no clouds. I'll be taking the noon Caltrain from SJ.

Were you on the caltrain that hit a car Saturday night? I was on it (10:20 Kaboom express train) and I didn't even feel a thing. I was about 3 cars back from the engine.

I never even heard of the Kaboom before, but it was amazing seeing all the people attending it. I went to see Stephen Wright at the warfield.

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

Ozma posted:

If you pay normally I believe there's an extra fee for Picasso.

I thought the exhibit was a tad disappointing because I had hoped for more Picasso. But then again I LOATHE Pollock so he tainted the entire exhibition for me.

I'm not sure what your first sentence is saying -- I was guest to my friend's BofA entry and no extra fees were charged.

Oddly enough I also hated Pollock until I saw the comparisons at the exhibit. Then it all started to make sense. Though you're the second person to say the show was lousy, I liked it -- but then again I have no classification in Art History whatsoever.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Sabacc posted:

I'm not sure what your first sentence is saying -- I was guest to my friend's BofA entry and no extra fees were charged.

If you just go normally there's an extra fee, only a couple bucks. I didn't pay for my own ticket but noticed that several people were turned away from the Picasso exhibit because they only had a "general" ticket and not the DELUXE ticket for both regular museum and Picasso exhibit.

My father said the same thing you did about finding Pollock more interesting when set against Picasso's work. He said he disliked him before but had no idea he drew inspiration from Picasso. I just can't really be swayed on Pollock though there was one piece that I really loved (and now the name of the artist eludes me- it was the kitchen scene with the fridge and 7up). I guess I just cannot be converted to Pollock's side.

Oh, and since you were there can you help me with my fuzzy memory? I can't remember whether or not they actually have a Dali there or not. I don't remember seeing it but thought they did once. They have one big Dali-esque one in the surrealist area but I don't recall the actual Dali being out last time I went.

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

Ozma posted:

If you just go normally there's an extra fee, only a couple bucks. I didn't pay for my own ticket but noticed that several people were turned away from the Picasso exhibit because they only had a "general" ticket and not the DELUXE ticket for both regular museum and Picasso exhibit.

My father said the same thing you did about finding Pollock more interesting when set against Picasso's work. He said he disliked him before but had no idea he drew inspiration from Picasso. I just can't really be swayed on Pollock though there was one piece that I really loved (and now the name of the artist eludes me- it was the kitchen scene with the fridge and 7up). I guess I just cannot be converted to Pollock's side.

Oh, and since you were there can you help me with my fuzzy memory? I can't remember whether or not they actually have a Dali there or not. I don't remember seeing it but thought they did once. They have one big Dali-esque one in the surrealist area but I don't recall the actual Dali being out last time I went.

Yeah! The one with the pink refrigerator sticking out. I'm going to guess it was Roy Lichtenstein. I don't remember any Dali but I'm going to be heading back again before the exhibit closes -- I want to see the Matisse exhibit once again.

Lil Danzig
Mar 1, 2007
I posted a thread about this right before I noticed the MEGATHREAD and it looks like it's since been gassed (thank god) and my account still exists so I'm going to post it here.

So I'm pretty new to the Bay (few months now) and I'm pretty much at a loss as to stuff to do regarding 'social activities' and places to meet like-minded folks. I came out here for work, and I LOVE the area, but I work at a very small company, have been out of school for years, and the only people I know here are a married couple (whee) and an MMO addict who never leaves the house. I came here from Florida, and this is the first "new city" I've been in since I finished college, so I'm finding myself in the somewhat cliched situation of being a grown-up in a new place and feeling totally lost without stuff like school to funnel me into social situations.

Because of my limited social circle, the 'old standby' social activity of bar-hopping is kind of off-limits because I really don't like to be the weird old guy who shows up places by himself and awkwardly tries to strike up conversations with strangers. Aside from that, I'm currently in Fremont and the 12:00 AM last BART makes any sort of solo drinking in the city a short trip and a very difficult thing to co-ordinate. I have been going to tons and tons of rock shows when stuff is in town that I want to see, but that's sort of a 'sporadic' thing.

So my question is -- What in town is there to do (aside from museums, I've hit them all already) for the type of dude who is into art, music, and is a card-carrying computer nerd. I'm looking for off-the-beaten path stuff that isn't the typical "Mission Pub Crawl" or stuff like that, and definitely places with lots of fellow nerdly types would be great. Coffee shops, open mics, improv groups, whatever. I'm just sort of bored and wondering what's out there that I can't find on Yelp.

Lil Danzig fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 14, 2007

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lil Danzig posted:

I posted a thread about this right before I noticed the MEGATHREAD and it looks like it's since been gassed (thank god)

It's still on the first page of this forum :psyduck:

Anyway I asked you in the other thread if you play accordian, if you do hit me up on AIM if you want to jam sometime

Lil Danzig
Mar 1, 2007

Earwicker posted:

It's still on the first page of this forum :psyduck:

Anyway I asked you in the other thread if you play accordian, if you do hit me up on AIM if you want to jam sometime

Wow, I just took my stupid move and turned it into a double-stupid.

But, yeah, I do actually play the accordion a bit. I'm be no means a virtuoso on that instrument, but I can squeeze out the basics and stuff and I'm always down to jam so, yeah, I'll definitely get in touch. My AIM is DontFoldScantron in case I get all busy and space this out, which is completely possible and actually quite likely.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

Ozma posted:

I just can't really be swayed on Pollock though there was one piece that I really loved (and now the name of the artist eludes me- it was the kitchen scene with the fridge and 7up).

The piece you were referring to was Tom Wesselman's "Still Life #30".

And as for the Dali, I also remember seeing one of his works last year, but not this year.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

The piece you were referring to was Tom Wesselman's "Still Life #30".

And as for the Dali, I also remember seeing one of his works last year, but not this year.

Thank you so much! I would have written down the name but we went on a Saturday afternoon so it was PACKED in there. I didn't want to knock someone over just rummaging through my purse. ;)

And yeah, I know I've seen a Dali there before (and though I don't remember which, it wasn't one I liked a lot) but don't remember seeing it last time I went through and I thought for sure it was in the same room as the Magritte that I adore.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Ozma posted:

Thank you so much! I would have written down the name but we went on a Saturday afternoon so it was PACKED in there. I didn't want to knock someone over just rummaging through my purse. ;)

And yeah, I know I've seen a Dali there before (and though I don't remember which, it wasn't one I liked a lot) but don't remember seeing it last time I went through and I thought for sure it was in the same room as the Magritte that I adore.

yeah i'm pretty sure they have a Dali or two in their permanent collection on the second or third floor. iirc its on the north side - the same floor as the big orange & blue rothco and the other abstract expressionist/bay area figurative movement stuff (i always lump it all together as SF Art Institute stuff in my head)

also speaking of magritte did you catch the magritte exhibit when it came through a year or two back?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

idiotsavant posted:

yeah i'm pretty sure they have a Dali or two in their permanent collection on the second or third floor. iirc its on the north side - the same floor as the big orange & blue rothco and the other abstract expressionist/bay area figurative movement stuff (i always lump it all together as SF Art Institute stuff in my head)

also speaking of magritte did you catch the magritte exhibit when it came through a year or two back?

Was it that recent? I know they had a Magritte exhibit in 2000 but if they had another one more recently than that I missed it. I've seen Barney, Calder, Chuck Close, "Mexico as Muse" and Kiki Smith. Definitely loved the Kiki Smith. I'm probably one of the few people who was not impressed by Matthew Barney, though.

I'm trying to remember where the rothko is- I am not a rothko fan so I shuffle through there quickly.

This exhibit is coming up soon and I really can't wait to see it. It looks awesome.

OK sorry for derailing the thread so much but even though I am not really educated when it comes to art I like talking about that sort of thing. I can geek things up quite a bit when given the chance. :(

Chron
Dec 24, 2000

Forum Absurdist
I'm looking at going to San Jose State for my MA. What I'd like to know is: What is there to do in San Jose? I've been told it's been pretty bland. Is downtown a decent place to live? If not, where else? Uh, anything else about San Jose would be cool too.

I live in Sacramento, but I've never visited San Jose, all my trips to the Bay Area are all SF/Berkely. So, I'm kinda familiar with that area..

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Ozma posted:

Was it that recent? I know they had a Magritte exhibit in 2000 but if they had another one more recently than that I missed it. I've seen Barney, Calder, Chuck Close, "Mexico as Muse" and Kiki Smith. Definitely loved the Kiki Smith. I'm probably one of the few people who was not impressed by Matthew Barney, though.

I'm trying to remember where the rothko is- I am not a rothko fan so I shuffle through there quickly.

This exhibit is coming up soon and I really can't wait to see it. It looks awesome.

OK sorry for derailing the thread so much but even though I am not really educated when it comes to art I like talking about that sort of thing. I can geek things up quite a bit when given the chance. :(

ya i guess it was the 2000 one and my sense of time is getting screwy. like i said, the rothko is on the 2nd or 3rd floor in their permanent collection. it's in the corner closest to the street, and i can't remember what's in the room with it (i think a few other abstract expressionist pieces) but one room next to it has surrealist stuff (the dali is in the room before it i think) and the room on the other side has i think rauschenberg's and stuff by jasper johns and clause oldenburg oh and that awesome clamp piece with the giant heart that I think they got when they did the Anderson exhibition way way long ago.

the linked exhibit looks pretty cool, it reminds me of another one of their permanent pieces here although the intent is clearly different.

oh yeah and i just recently visited for the first time in a while and i was really dissapointed to see that they took down the huge multistory sculpture in the main room because it was fantastic and amazing.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 15, 2007

Lil Danzig
Mar 1, 2007

Chron posted:

I'm looking at going to San Jose State for my MA. What I'd like to know is: What is there to do in San Jose? I've been told it's been pretty bland. Is downtown a decent place to live? If not, where else? Uh, anything else about San Jose would be cool too.

I live in Sacramento, but I've never visited San Jose, all my trips to the Bay Area are all SF/Berkely. So, I'm kinda familiar with that area..

San Jose is sort of boring, but it's probably the most interesting out of all the Bay cities down in that area I've been to. It's definitely a lot more fun than Fremont, I know that much. There are a couple of cool bars I've stopped in, Cinebar and Caravan.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Any suggestions for lingerie shops in SF? I'm going to take my girlfriend shopping as a treat, and would like to get her a couple bra/panty sets and a babydoll or something. I'm willing to spend a few hundred. These were the shops that seemed to be well-reviewed: Les Cent Culottes, Agent Provocateur (seems crazy expensive), My Boudoir, Alla Prima, Belle Cose, and Toujours. Anyone have any preferences among those, or other places I should look into?

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

Papercut posted:

Any suggestions for lingerie shops in SF? I'm going to take my girlfriend shopping as a treat, and would like to get her a couple bra/panty sets and a babydoll or something. I'm willing to spend a few hundred. These were the shops that seemed to be well-reviewed: Les Cent Culottes, Agent Provocateur (seems crazy expensive), My Boudoir, Alla Prima, Belle Cose, and Toujours. Anyone have any preferences among those, or other places I should look into?
Agent Provocateur is in Union Square. I'm sure amongst the Union Square department stores (Saks and Neiman Marcus especially) you will find a lot of nice stuff, and you can check out A. Provocateur too.

Machine Gun
Aug 22, 2006

what a fucking nightmare

Sabacc posted:

Also, free for AAU students

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

minya posted:

Agent Provocateur is in Union Square.

Yeah, definitely check that place out.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel

Chron posted:

I went to SJSU for 5 years. The downtown is OK, but most people wind up going to SF.

South San Jose is the nicest area of SJ to live in, which is where I am at. Any specifics you want to know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

Papercut posted:

You are definitely right to be wary of AP. They are mad expensive, but if you have the money, it's pretty good. Other than that, there are a couple of places on Polk street if you can find it.

Also, on the subject of the MOMA, I was really saddened when I went to the Picasso exhibit and discovered they took out one of my favorite pieces:

The Michael Jackson sculpture I won't miss, but this thing was a metal god.

• Locked thread