Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobulus posted:

All might not be completely lost. There's still a second, inner wall. Too bad all the spellcasters up on the tower died, all those hobgoblins clustered in between the two walls would seem like a good target for big AoE spells.
I don't know if they all died, but i'm thinking it's going to be a complete clusterfuck regardless. I'm also not sure where the civilians (and hence the remainder of the saphire guard) are in relation to the walls.

(edit)Ok, if we assume that this layout is valid:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0260.html

It looks like the city is on the other side of the keep to the big hole in the wall. So the horde should hit the keep before the city. That makes me wonder how long he's planning to dwell on the battle and wether there might be some cityfighting or evacuation in the works after the keep is taken, assuming it is.

Schwarzwald posted:

By doing this, the Yugoloths have created a second whole army of evilness and deprived goodness of a large number of their greater warriors. Also, the escalating battles between the devils and the demons force both armies to develope stronger weapons and more dangerous magic. In the end, the Yugoloths plan to unify both armies and lead them against the forces of good.
I don't think that's going to turn out for them so well, since it's pretty clear the higher planes make it a priority to keep the blood war ticking over, thus ensuring that the majority of fiends spend most of their time killing each other instead of waring on heaven or despoiling the prime planes.

Efreet saiid fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 15, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Brannock posted:

:siren:New strip up.:siren:

And for when it goes down...

You know, every time I see massive armies in OotS, I wonder what an OotS video game done in the style of Paper Mario would be like. It would be pretty drat awesome, I think.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
Where are you guys reading all this Blood War stuff? Is it in actual books or is it rule book fluff? I ask because it sounds pretty cool :shobon:

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
Well the main source for info on the Blood War is Blood War a second edition box set. Probably the best box set in my opinion, very little "crunch", the only rules stuff in it was 3 mini adventures that involved the war and a small monstrous compendium. The rest was a book entirely about the history and tactics of the war a bunch of maps of repeated battle sites and a comic drawn by Tony Ditterlizzi the man who did every illustration for the setting for the first 6 years. There's also 2 fiendish codices one for each fiend type that reintroduced a lot of Monte Cook's ideas and whatnot back into 3rd edition.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

sakesniper posted:

Where are you guys reading all this Blood War stuff? Is it in actual books or is it rule book fluff? I ask because it sounds pretty cool :shobon:

Like I said, I got my info from Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells. It is pretty cool. The Abyss is nonstop whirlwind action, the Nine Hells are nonstop bueraucracy and when they meet it's nonstop violence. The devils might have known what they were becomming, but they are still doing their job. They battle the demons, using ruthless tactics that their former patrons would never stoop to. They corrupt souls by pact and bargain to sustain themselves so they can continue to fight the 'good' fight.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Vicissitude posted:

Like I said, I got my info from Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells. It is pretty cool. The Abyss is nonstop whirlwind action, the Nine Hells are nonstop bueraucracy and when they meet it's nonstop violence. The devils might have known what they were becomming, but they are still doing their job. They battle the demons, using ruthless tactics that their former patrons would never stoop to. They corrupt souls by pact and bargain to sustain themselves so they can continue to fight the 'good' fight.

And that is why Lawful Evil is the best alignment ever :colbert:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Soonmot posted:

And that is why Lawful Evil is the best alignment ever :colbert:

Maybe you're forgetting True Neutral :geno:

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Wolfsheim posted:

Tell my wife I said: "Hello."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wolfsheim posted:

The Dragonlance series showed me that neutral is the best thing ever. Gildean is MY deity of choice. Well, after Thor, Raiden and Zomogustar.

The best thing is a true neutral character who does good only because he feels it's objectively more beneficial in the grand scheme of things, and will probably lead to good things for him in the future or afterlife.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
There are these guys on Krynn called the Irda, they're the high ogres who retain the original form of their now-twisted race. They're pretty powerful and stuff. And the best thing about them? They write these ultra-smug poems making fun of Gilean for being neutral.

Because neutral sucks :colbert:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Efreet saiid posted:

Because neutral sucks :colbert:

It's true. Neutral does suck, at least True Neutral does. It's just an excuse to be an rear end in a top hat. Now with Lawful Evil, yeah you may be an rear end in a top hat, but you're doing it for a reason! I mean, say what you will about the tenants of Evil, at least it's an ethos.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Phanatic posted:

You can argue that the Blood War was a cool concept (I think it's incredibly lame, and that it improved on nothing that Ed Greenwood did in his 9 Hells articles back in the early 70-numbered issues of Dragon) and reasonable people can agree on that, but there was nothing cool whatsoever about that renaming.

I think that the Blood War is a good idea since it explains why the upper planes are such a nice place compared to the lower planes. After all since the forces of good and evil have roughly equal power in D&D, the demons and the devils would have no reason not to invade them. That fact that they're too busy slaughtering each other is what keeps them from turning the upper planes into one giant battlefield. And it was also created too fit with Planescape's theme which was mainly about Law vs. Chaos rather than Good vs. Evil.

Vicissitude posted:

Tyrants of the Nine Hells explains the Blood War and the origin of Devils.

Is that a WotC book? Because in Planescape the Baatezu and the Tanar'ri had originated as Yugoloths larvae that had been corrupted by Law or Chaos, which the Yugoloths then exiled to Baator or to the Abyss.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Well the latest erfworld takes the strip to all new levels of creepy. :gonk:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Gally posted:

I keep on wanting to like Erfworld, for god knows what reason.

And then this happens.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Gally posted:

I think the blood covered kimono is meant to be a parody of that hot tub scene from Austin Powers. Not that there's really any reason for it here at all.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Soylentbits posted:

I think the blood covered kimono is meant to be a parody of that hot tub scene from Austin Powers. Not that there's really any reason for it here at all.

It's not blood, it's a pattern of pink skulls.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Reading Erfworld is like an exercise in futility. I want to like it, I genuinely do, and then he makes it about a tiny super-deformed bisexual seductress :(

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Wolfsheim posted:

Reading Erfworld is like an exercise in futility. I want to like it, I genuinely do, and then he makes it about a tiny super-deformed bisexual seductress :(

Or just makes it flat out confusing, which is my problem with it.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Wolfsheim posted:

Erfworld feels like an Advertisement/Pre-release flavor rules for a dumb game right around the corner...

"You've seen the comic! You've read the Klogs! NOW PLAY THE GAME! ERFWORLD RPG/WARGAME! Get your Dwagon on!"

The IronMonkey
Aug 5, 2005

Factor_VIII posted:

Is that a WotC book? Because in Planescape the Baatezu and the Tanar'ri had originated as Yugoloths larvae that had been corrupted by Law or Chaos, which the Yugoloths then exiled to Baator or to the Abyss.

Well, that's the story the Yugoloths tell, ask either of the other two and you'd get a different answer. I much prefer the no definite answers that planescape had then to the poo poo WotC pumps out now.

I paticularly enjoy the secret behind the baatezu. That they are not true devils at all, but larvae Asmoedeus twisted to his ends after eradicating the real Batorians. Any larvae the Baatezu don't manipulate begin to evolve into the real form and are hunted down.

The IronMonkey fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 16, 2007

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
By the way, before the next comic comes out, I want to mention how badass it is that the remaining city defenders were simply crushed beneath the feet of the attacking hobgoblins.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Agreed. Goblins may be bitches but if there's one thing they should do it's swarm, and until now they did a poor job of swarming the walls.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Zoolooman posted:

By the way, before the next comic comes out, I want to mention how badass it is that the remaining city defenders were simply crushed beneath the feet of the attacking hobgoblins.

And I want to thank you for pointing out how much you like that, since I did not notice the defenders were crushed underfoot. I apparently did not quite scroll down far enough to notice that detail. It just seemed to me like they were showing them swarming up to the wall, leaving the next moment an uncertainty, not actually showing them through it, having destroyed the defenders already.

This siege is going way more hilariously bad for the defenders so far than I anticipated. Do you think he will pull out a long-forgotten ace-in-the-hole for the good guys? Or will the best outcome just be "survival?"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Quarex posted:

And I want to thank you for pointing out how much you like that, since I did not notice the defenders were crushed underfoot. I apparently did not quite scroll down far enough to notice that detail. It just seemed to me like they were showing them swarming up to the wall, leaving the next moment an uncertainty, not actually showing them through it, having destroyed the defenders already.

This siege is going way more hilariously bad for the defenders so far than I anticipated. Do you think he will pull out a long-forgotten ace-in-the-hole for the good guys? Or will the best outcome just be "survival?"

There's still the ghost-martyrs, of which powers and ability cannot be ascertained yet.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The only aces in the hole left that I can think of are as follows:

- The nobles come back and retake the city. Depending on just how much force they have to throw around, this could work, although it'd be politically disastrous for Hinjo.
- The ghost-martyrs boil out of the throne room with Xykon's skull on a stick and start killing hobgoblins. How much of an impact this has depends on how many ghost-martyrs there are; Soon being there suggests that every paladin to fall in Azure City's service is now a ghost-martyr, but that only covers the last seventy years or so.
- V hits the castle library and comes out loaded for bear.
- Durkon uncorks his badass moment. I'm having a hard time thinking of anything he could do to singlehandedly turn the tide, but I don't know d20 3.5 clerics very well.
- Tsukiko has some kind of change of heart. Maybe Elan charms her or something.

Other possibilities that aren't aces in the hole, but are high face cards, include Miko, the Linear Guild, and Celia's talisman.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Factor_VIII posted:

Yeah. WotC changed it up again. Devils are now fallen angels, like they originally were, and demons are the denizens of the universe from the Before Time, the Long-Long-Ago, a simpler time, when a man could look forward to a good hearty meal after an honest day's work.

I have a feeling that a Fiendish Codex for Yugoloths is coming down the line, but Demons and Devils have probably been the foremost fiends in anyone's mind. Demons have the abyss, devils have the Nine Hells. Yugoloths find their way into either. It'll be an interesting book, plus we should get some fluff if they do it the same way they did the other codices.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Vicissitude posted:

I have a feeling that a Fiendish Codex for Yugoloths is coming down the line, but Demons and Devils have probably been the foremost fiends in anyone's mind. Demons have the abyss, devils have the Nine Hells.

Maybe so, but Yugoloths get two planes, Gehenna and the Grey Waste. Let's see demons and devils beat that.

Also, no offense, but if you're going to use the terms demon and devil, why aren't you using daemon for yugoloths? Or did WotC only change baatezu and tanar'ri alone?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Idran posted:

Maybe so, but Yugoloths get two planes, Gehenna and the Grey Waste. Let's see demons and devils beat that.

Those are crap planes and you know it! :argh:

I think they also belong to Gods. Nerull kicks it on Gehenna, if'n I recall the Manual of the Planes correctly.

Tanari'i are a subtype for Demons, along with Lemoura and Obyrinth. Baatezu are subgroup of Devils, but not a subtype (to my knowledge). Looking over the list on Wikipedia, it seems that only former angels are Baatezu. All the other devils are just Outsiders (Lawful, Evil). Yugoloths are just Outsiders (Evil), to my knowledge.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but all the planes also belong to gods. Even with just core, Hextor's in Baator and Erythnul's in the Abyss.

Also, interesting, didn't realize that. Wonder why they didn't do that to merge together yugoloths with gehreleths and hordelings, those are all NE fiends too if I'm remembering right.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

They very well might. Demons got 2 new subtypes with Hordes of the Abyss, Lemoura and Obyrinth. We might get some new stuff for Yugoloths, too.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
New strip?

:siren: IT'S UP :siren:

And rehosted for those who need it, if any.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm sure I'm just being dense, but does anyone know what "bending of the rules" Thor is referring to?

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
Probably the tree/thunder thing that was mentioned earlier on the thread.

Specineff
Mar 10, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sure I'm just being dense, but does anyone know what "bending of the rules" Thor is referring to?

I thought it was granting Durkon "Thor's Strength" or whatever while he's in the realm of a different set of gods. Hence, one of the 12 gods shows up to yell at him, and then Hinjo's pet shows up in the wrong place (?)

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Actually I think it's kind of a combo.

The bending the rules refers to the control weather/sonic boom, but what the 12 eastern gods wouldn't let him do was grant Durkon speed to get to Hinjo faster.

In any case, a nod to the law of Inverse Ninjas is always good.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Although it shows that the Law of Inverse Ninjas is inferior to the Law of Giant Dwarf oxymoron.

Which makes me happy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

farraday posted:

The bending the rules refers to the control weather/sonic boom, but what the 12 eastern gods wouldn't let him do was grant Durkon speed to get to Hinjo faster.

So I guess we can assume they don't mind Thor doing the standard stuff? As I understand it, all of Durkon's heals and magic is just him asking Thor to do it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That was a fine way to give Durkon something awesome to do.

I suppose it makes sense to show what happens to the clone-Xykons before going back to show what happened to the real one, so that means there is probably another intermediate-strip in store (showing what happened with the hobgoblin overrun? Maybe a cut back to the nobles on the ship?) before showing, hmm, apparently Belkar dealing with the last clone. Or a cut-away to Roy's father yelling at him for messing everything up and dying too soon. Or a full, single, page-length panel showing Vaarsuvius eating honeyed figs with androgynous servants.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Fuego Fish posted:

New strip?

:siren: IT'S UP :siren:

And rehosted for those who need it, if any.

Gahaha. The reference to the Inverse Ninja Law was excellent, but I think the ninja suit colors were the best joke.

Zooloo fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 18, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

What is the Inverse Ninja Law?