Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Registered Corn Owner posted:

What is the Inverse Ninja Law?

20 ninjas are little more than drooling idiots. One ninja is an unstoppable force of nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

quote:

The Inverse Ninja Law states that the effectiveness of a group of villains is inversely proportional to the number of villains in the group. While a single enemy is often portrayed as a significant threat to the protagonists, a large group of enemies are significantly less of a threat, and as such are easily defeated.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Quarex posted:

I suppose it makes sense to show what happens to the clone-Xykons before going back to show what happened to the real one, so that means there is probably another intermediate-strip in store (showing what happened with the hobgoblin overrun? Maybe a cut back to the nobles on the ship?) before showing, hmm, apparently Belkar dealing with the last clone.

Actually, with this strip, all three of the Xykon clones have been dealt with in one way or another. Belkar is using the eye of fear and flame as a wand, the death knight got crushed by the falling dragon head, and Durkon just whacked the last one.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Wanderer posted:

Actually, with this strip, all three of the Xykon clones have been dealt with in one way or another. Belkar is using the eye of fear and flame as a wand, the death knight got crushed by the falling dragon head, and Durkon just whacked the last one.

OH CRAP! I forgot all about the death knight's defeat at the "hand" of the falling dragon head. Granted, he could have survived, but I admit that was not at all my train of thought.

Huh, that might mean the next strip goes back to ENDGAME for Xykon and the Sapphire Guard.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Quarex posted:

OH CRAP! I forgot all about the death knight's defeat at the "hand" of the falling dragon head. Granted, he could have survived, but I admit that was not at all my train of thought.

Huh, that might mean the next strip goes back to ENDGAME for Xykon and the Sapphire Guard.

He had the X's for eyes, he's toast.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Cowcaster posted:

He had the X's for eyes, he's toast.

I'm not big on D&D rules, so I'm curious...

Something living dies, it can be raised or turned undead. Something undead dies, can it be raised/etc(outside of special cases like Xykon's phylactery)?

Hedgehog King
Feb 7, 2005
It's just after lunch time on a Thursday. Do you know where your towel is?

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm not big on D&D rules, so I'm curious...

Something living dies, it can be raised or turned undead. Something undead dies, can it be raised/etc(outside of special cases like Xykon's phylactery)?

No, it's usually perma-dead at that point, provided it's something like the typical zombie.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

Idran posted:

Yeah, but all the planes also belong to gods. Even with just core, Hextor's in Baator and Erythnul's in the Abyss.

Also, interesting, didn't realize that. Wonder why they didn't do that to merge together yugoloths with gehreleths and hordelings, those are all NE fiends too if I'm remembering right.

Gehreleths are a type of yugoloth I believe and Hordelings are way too varied and random to be a part of any other species.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hedgehog King posted:

No, it's usually perma-dead at that point, provided it's something like the typical zombie.

There's a spell in Libris Mortis that actually lets you raise the 'inactive' undead (read, destroyed), Revive Undead, it's a 6th level Sorc/Wiz spell though, so not something Redcloak could cast, and I doubt Xykon would care.

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible

Gassire posted:

Gehreleths are a type of yugoloth I believe and Hordelings are way too varied and random to be a part of any other species.
Nope, Gehreleths were created by one of those "Superloths" (I can't remember what they were called) who created the Yugoloths too but are a distinct race of their own. Hordlings are a race too although a very varied one. At least according to 2nd ed blood war books there are five true fiendish races: Tan'arri, Baatezu, Yugoloths, Gehreleths and Hordlings, no other species native to lower planes count as fiends.

Gehreleths are really weird too, there's just three types of them and at least according to most planar legends there's always 9999 Gehreleths around, if you kill one another is instantly created to take it's place.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Volga Boatman posted:

Nope, Gehreleths were created by one of those "Superloths" (I can't remember what they were called) who created the Yugoloths too but are a distinct race of their own. Hordlings are a race too although a very varied one. At least according to 2nd ed blood war books there are five true fiendish races: Tan'arri, Baatezu, Yugoloths, Gehreleths and Hordlings, no other species native to lower planes count as fiends.

Ultroloth, is the term you're thinking of. Apomps in this case was the Ultroloth that created the gehreleths, though he was kicked out of the race after that, so he's not technically an ultroloth anymore I believe.

And also, you're forgetting the Baatorians. The Baatezu might be considered true fiends by people nowadays, but if they are, then the Baatorians have to be considered among that number too. They're not completely extinct, after all. Even if you're not counting nupperibos, there's still the occasional baatorian lurking around now and again. That light/energy-sucking being in the cave in one of the middle layers of Baator, for example.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Idran posted:

Ultroloth, is the term you're thinking of. Apomps in this case was the Ultroloth that created the gehreleths, though he was kicked out of the race after that, so he's not technically an ultroloth anymore I believe.

Are you sure you arn't thinking of Baernaloths? They're the people that created the Yugoloths.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

Are you sure you arn't thinking of Baernaloths? They're the people that created the Yugoloths.

Oh, wait, you're right, it is Baernaloths. I always mix those two up.

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

New Strip is up!

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0454.html

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Refried Hero posted:

New Strip is up!

Ooh, this is a sticky situation. I bet it won't be resolved until next Friday; next two panels are gonna be Redcloak ravaging the city and Xykon fighting the Ghost-Martyrs.

Is it me or is Burlew starting to consistently post on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Brannock posted:

Ooh, this is a sticky situation. I bet it won't be resolved until next Friday; next two panels are gonna be Redcloak ravaging the city and Xykon fighting the Ghost-Martyrs.

Is it me or is Burlew starting to consistently post on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday?

I call Belkar showing up to deal with the goblin masses.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Archyduke posted:

I call Belkar showing up to deal with the goblin masses.

Belkar can'tt do anything about about the Hobgoblin Masses when he's inside the confines of the city, without invoking the curse, though.

If he can attack them from outside the city, though...

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

And he can, because he has the eye of fear and flame's head.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Which will be completely useless once Redcloak rebukes it into next week.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Assuming Redcloak heads back outside the city to do it.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
I was reading through the books again and came across one of Burlew's notes where he says that sometimes he has plot points happen solely to explain away reasons why the party can't use certain strategies later on(in this case V not having Fly so that later they can't easily escape the wall of ice), and something occured to me. Theoretically, couldn't a high level fighter with greatsword specialization, a +5 Greatsword, and Great Cleave hold that breach against some piddly hobgoblins indefinitely? Or at least until the fiendish mastodon showed up? Only so many could fit through each round, and any that didn't die to Attacks of Opportunity would be slaughtered with one attack+cleave on Roy's turn.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Maldraedior posted:

I was reading through the books again and came across one of Burlew's notes where he says that sometimes he has plot points happen solely to explain away reasons why the party can't use certain strategies later on(in this case V not having Fly so that later they can't easily escape the wall of ice), and something occured to me. Theoretically, couldn't a high level fighter with greatsword specialization, a +5 Greatsword, and Great Cleave hold that breach against some piddly hobgoblins indefinitely? Or at least until the fiendish mastodon showed up? Only so many could fit through each round, and any that didn't die to Attacks of Opportunity would be slaughtered with one attack+cleave on Roy's turn.

I think you answered your own question there. Once the enemy forces saw that one guy was killing all the 1st level warrior hobgoblins charging into the breach, they'd send something more powerful there to take him out. Even if they lacked that, they could simply have their archers shoot him until he turned into a pincushion. Even if they had to rely exclusively on critical hits they'd wear him out eventually since he wouldn't be able to move away from his position.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Well they essentially did that. V buffed the hell out of those level 5 warriors and they held the breech until the death knight plowed through them. Different build, but same basic concept.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax

Brannock posted:

I think redcloak will head straight for the throne room.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Factor_VIII posted:

I think you answered your own question there. Once the enemy forces saw that one guy was killing all the 1st level warrior hobgoblins charging into the breach, they'd send something more powerful there to take him out. Even if they lacked that, they could simply have their archers shoot him until he turned into a pincushion. Even if they had to rely exclusively on critical hits they'd wear him out eventually since he wouldn't be able to move away from his position.

Assuming he rolled well, wouldn't Roy great cleave through everyone since it is an additional attack, thereby not allowing the archers to try and hit him? I haven't played in a while so I may be incorrect

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Assuming he rolled well, wouldn't Roy great cleave through everyone since it is an additional attack, thereby not allowing the archers to try and hit him? I haven't played in a while so I may be incorrect

No, you can't move before a cleave attack, although there are some class features that let you make your 5 foot step and then attack them, so the most you can kill in a turn without a reach weapon is 14. If the archers stand even 10 feet away you're hosed.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Aw, poor Haley.

Was anyone else reminded of the shoot-the-dragon scene from Pratchett's Guards! Guards!?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Maldraedior posted:

Theoretically, couldn't a high level fighter with greatsword specialization, a +5 Greatsword, and Great Cleave hold that breach against some piddly hobgoblins indefinitely? Or at least until the fiendish mastodon showed up? Only so many could fit through each round, and any that didn't die to Attacks of Opportunity would be slaughtered with one attack+cleave on Roy's turn.

Actually, the only way that Roy would get an attack of opportunity against a charging hobgoblin is if V enlarged him or if he had two of my favorite feats in the game, Combat Reflexes and Hold the Line. Having Hold the Line and high Dexterity (which Roy doesn't seem to have; if you look at how he behaves throughout the strip, Dexterity and Charisma seem to be Roy's dump stats) generally does mean you're death on two legs in situations like this one.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

Wanderer posted:

Actually, the only way that Roy would get an attack of opportunity against a charging hobgoblin is if V enlarged him or if he had two of my favorite feats in the game, Combat Reflexes and Hold the Line. Having Hold the Line and high Dexterity (which Roy doesn't seem to have; if you look at how he behaves throughout the strip, Dexterity and Charisma seem to be Roy's dump stats) generally does mean you're death on two legs in situations like this one.

With Hold the Line and Combat Reflexes, does this mean that you'd get an AoO any time something came into and left a threatened square? A DM Friend of mine said that that wouldn't work for some demented reason, but I think that's because he didn't want my Barbarian with Instantaneous Rage and a Maul to be able to annihilate any charging foes that he threw at me.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

Parahexavoctal posted:

Aw, poor Haley.

Was anyone else reminded of the shoot-the-dragon scene from Pratchett's Guards! Guards!?

It's a million to one chance.

But it just might work.

Snacks and Violence
Sep 18, 2004

...and he kept stabbing them, again and again. He's a halfling, he's supposed to be jolly...Why isn't he jolly? WHY ISN'T HE JOLLY?

Nosy_G posted:

It's a million to one chance.

But it just might work.

1,000,000 to 1 chance should always work.

Snacks and Violence fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 20, 2007

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

To quote Pratchett (I think):

"Everyone knows that million to one chances happen nine times out of ten"

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Ergo, it wasn't a million-to-one chance.

She should have:
*shut one eye.
*unbraided her hair, so that it whipped stingingly into her face <OMT>
*Had Durkon tickle her.
*Had Elan, uh, "snuggle" her.

Also: Wow, those Azure City defenders aren't too bright. "Well, looks like they breached the outer wall. I guess we'll just stand around in this courtyard and fight 10,000 Hobgoblins hand-to-hand. I mean, it isn't like there's a fifty-foot stone wall with one gate that we could retreat into, right?

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 20, 2007

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Robot Bastard posted:

Ergo, it wasn't a million-to-one chance.

She should have:
*shut one eye.
*unbraided her hair, so that it whipped stingingly into her face <OMT>
*Had Durkon tickle her.
*Had Elan, uh, "snuggle" her.

Also: Wow, those Azure City defenders aren't too bright. "Well, looks like they breached the outer wall. I guess we'll just stand around in this courtyard and fight 10,000 Hobgoblins hand-to-hand. I mean, it isn't like there's a fifty-foot stone wall with one gate that we could retreat into, right?

Because they couldn't open the gate without also letting the Hobgoblins in.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Uh, new Erfworld up, if you're into that.

I thought it was pretty okay, but that may just be because (A)it moved the story away from the creepy dominatrix character, and (B)I love to see good guys getting their poo poo ruined by rear end in a top hat jerks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Leroy Jenkins eh. I get it, the joke is that he's a big fat nerd so this is funny to him, but still.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Lurdiak posted:

Leroy Jenkins eh. I get it, the joke is that he's a big fat nerd so this is funny to him, but still.
Basically, Erfworld is "Internet Catchphrase: The Webcomic!"

Now, I'm okay with the occasional riff in the background(*), but having it be so obvious is a bit much. I mean, okay, the one warlord who got killed real fast is named "Leeeeroy", haha we all get it. Now the guy's giving it multiple panels? Come on.

(*) although not that much, because it horribly dates the piece. I'll bet there are already people who don't know what Domo-kun is, for example. However, it doesn't matter so much in something like a web-only comic; I consider that to be basically throwaway fluff.

Endrite posted:

Because they couldn't open the gate without also letting the Hobgoblins in.
So let them...and you have all your defenders standing in the hallway. And the people on the wall above them are throwing rocks and molten lead. Remember those guys holding the breach? They could have done that all day if the undead guy hadn't come up; and if they'd seen him coming, they wouldn't have had a problem. Just get out of the way and let him go fart around in the backfield; your job is to hold that line. Let the PCs handle Senor Skeleton.

Really, what Azure City needs is a competent field commander standing up in the tower and watching what's going on. Wolf Boy is doing his city a disservice by mixing it up on the ramparts; this is a battle, not a street fight.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Robot Bastard posted:

Really, what Azure City needs is a competent field commander standing up in the tower and watching what's going on. Wolf Boy is doing his city a disservice by mixing it up on the ramparts; this is a battle, not a street fight.

This never could have happened if Shojo was still around. :colbert:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Robot Bastard posted:

<OMT>
Another Diana Wynne Jones fan heard from!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

FMguru posted:

Another Diana Wynne Jones fan heard from!
Hehe, yeah. As I was typing the post, it occurred to me that I'd seen that phrase at least once in every fantasy series I've read...if anything's an OMT, it's that.