Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Robot Bastard posted:

OMT OMT OMT!

What's an OMT? Google is not particularly useful right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I started reading Erfworld because people were mentioning it in this thread, but I just can't like it. Is it a matter of not being a big enough nerd in whatever game they're sort of spoofing? Is OoTS this terrible to people that don't play DnD?

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Ashcans posted:

Is OoTS this terrible to people that don't play DnD?

As a person who doesn't play DnD, let me be the first to say that it absolutely is not.

The difference is that Erfworld is more drama based, I suppose, with the occasional joke, and OotS leans slightly more comedically with dramatic moments.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

BlueArmyMan posted:

As a person who doesn't play DnD, let me be the first to say that it absolutely is not.

The difference is that Erfworld is more drama based, I suppose, with the occasional joke, and OotS leans slightly more comedically with dramatic moments.

I would classify it as OotS being a funny epic story, whereas Erfworld is kind of a quirky (in this case, used as an insult) drama.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Wolfsheim posted:

I would classify it as OotS being a funny epic story, whereas Erfworld is kind of a quirky (in this case, used as an insult) drama.

I got curious and read the first 40 strips of Erfworld and I'd simply classify it as being bad, since I didn't find it to be funny and its story isn't engaging or interesting. The presence of stupid internet catchphrases such as the "oh really" owl and all the cutesy names certainly don't do it a favor; and the ham-fisted attempt to spice up the comic via lesbian B&D was also quite stupid and unnecessary. I wonder how much of that webcomic is simply what its author wishes he could be.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

ZorbaTHut posted:

What's an OMT? Google is not particularly useful right now.
It's a reference to "The Tough Guide To Fantasyland", by Diana Wynne Jones. It's a spoof "tour guide" of the world where all these by-the-numbers fantasy series seem to take place. <OMT> stands for "Official Management Term"; it's the equivalent of "(tm)".

edit: Gah, I shouldn't have looked at the GITP forums for Erfworld. The first page is full of "LOL LEEEEEROY JENKINS LOLLLLL". That, and someone who doesn't understand why "Bat 21" has a radar screen... :sigh:

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 22, 2007

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I've mentioned this before but I think it's based on how much of a boner the idea of a world controlled by the rules of a boardgame gives you. That and how much "cute" names for common fantasy elements amuse you (LOL DWAGONS).

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

RentACop posted:

That and how much "cute" names for common fantasy elements amuse you (LOL DWAGONS).

Good Lord that got disgusting to read after the first instance, let alone the 10th.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

BlueArmyMan posted:

Erfworld's setting is a strategy boardgame. While the environment is similar to a D&D game, the rules and assumptions are completely different (alternating turns, new units appearing fully formed, units healing at the end of a turn, etc). Even if you've never played D&D, if you're posting here, you probably have a basic understanding of what goes on. I imagine that strategy boardgaming is a bit less accessable. That said, I think the strip could do without a lot of the catchphrases and creepiness. I'm enjoying it, but it could be better. Leeroy Jenkings. Ugh.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I just realized something.

The current OotS comic is named "The Longshot." Haley is literally making a long shot.

Holy poo poo!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
:siren:New strip is up.:siren:

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Heh. Is that an intentional reference to one of Peter Jackson's many mistakes, or is it just a coincidence?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Fool, fool, fool, fool, fool the gullible hobgoblins!

If you write, I will make it better.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Robot Bastard posted:

Heh. Is that an intentional reference to one of Peter Jackson's many mistakes, or is it just a coincidence?

Wait if you're talking about the "mistake" I think you are talking about, that was intentional (and could not have been a mistake considering all the Uruk Hai are completely CGI)

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

RickoniX posted:

Wait if you're talking about the "mistake" I think you are talking about, that was intentional (and could not have been a mistake considering all the Uruk Hai are completely CGI)
The bit where the guy yells for his troops to fire their arrows?

Bingo
Aug 18, 2003

I hope the Eye of Fear and Flame sticks around after the battle, I like him :shobon:

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Bingo posted:

I hope the Eye of Fear and Flame sticks around after the battle, I like him :shobon:
Meh, he's too much of a god-gun. I'm sure he'll be a continuing "punchline panel" guy, sort of like those giant jellyfish, but I don't expect that he'll be an active player after this story arc.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Robot Bastard posted:

drat it, I'm a horrible nerd for not noticing that error till you just pointed it out.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Archyduke posted:

I call Belkar showing up to deal with the goblin masses.

:neckbeard:

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Gyges posted:

drat it, I'm a horrible nerd for not noticing that error till you just pointed it out.
Heh. If I hadn't heard it pointed out, I wouldn't have noticed it either. It's that powerful of a sequence--you just get caught up in it!

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Robot Bastard posted:

What are you talking about?

Also, Erfworld isn't based on a specific game so there's no real rules lawyering that we the audience can infer. It's all writer fiat.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

clockworkjoe posted:

What are you talking about?

Also, Erfworld isn't based on a specific game so there's no real rules lawyering that we the audience can infer. It's all writer fiat.

It doesn't make sense saying fire when you're shooting an arrow. The term is usually meant for guns and firearms and cannons and such.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
I always thought open fire was what you said to archers?

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

The nerd in me desperatly wants that shirt now.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ze Pollack posted:

I always thought open fire was what you said to archers?

When dealing with such a mass-release, I believe they were called for by 'volley', but such things typically were not exactly recorded.

As far as I know, we don't really know for certain. In fact, they could have shouted Bagels or something else nonsensical.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Aaaaarrrrgh what is happening with Xykon and the ghosts :argh:

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax

Robot Bastard posted:

As opposed to Theoden at helms deep, who says "give them a volley", and Gandalf at minias tirith, who says "volley" while they're shooting at the trolls? They use both terms and it's clearly for ease of comunication with the audience. I'm pretty sure they weren't even supposed to be speaking english, just FYI.

Efreet saiid fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 22, 2007

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Parahexavoctal posted:

Fool, fool, fool, fool, fool the gullible hobgoblins!

And many of the Azure City Soldiers who may be still alive, be in the vicinity, and have been watching Lord Hinjo.

It may have gotten Hinjo out of the tower alive, but it could have disastrous consequences for Azure City's forces.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I didn't see anyone mention why "fire" is wrong in this case. You don't fire an arrow, you fire a gun, as in set fire to the powder dealy. Or at least you used too. And like Efreet saiid said it doesn't really matter plus I think I've read them use "fire" before.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0425.html

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax

maltesh posted:

And many of the Azure City Soldiers who may be still alive, be in the vicinity, and have been watching Lord Hinjo.

It may have gotten Hinjo out of the tower alive, but it could have disastrous consequences for Azure City's forces.
Um, all the guys who can see that are already dead.

Efreet saiid fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 22, 2007

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RentACop posted:

I didn't see anyone mention why "fire" is wrong in this case. You don't fire an arrow, you fire a gun, as in set fire to the powder dealy.

Once upon a time, yes, but now it's a generic english word for shoot the thingy at the other thingy. Setting fire to powder is merely word origins, and is covered under they don't speak English but they are anyway clause.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Efreet saiid posted:

Um, all the guys who can see that are already dead.

Well, there are at least five azure city guardsmen on the wall Hinjo and the Order in #454. Two of them make it into the towe with them, and while it's possible that the other three are killed by the arrowstorm, I doubt that there are only ten people on the outer wall.

WHether or not Hinjo is alive is an important question to a large number of people, and so i imagine a lot of people are watching him, both in person, and through agents.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Robot Bastard posted:

That, and someone who doesn't understand why "Bat 21" has a radar screen... :sigh:

Well, c'mon. That movie was awful. But I got it right away. I think that makes me an immense nerd :sigh:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

What the hell word would you expect them to use instead of "fire"?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cowcaster posted:

What the hell word would you expect them to use instead of "fire"?

Aside from the part where it's a completely acceptable word to use, there are plenty of other choices. Missile combat has been around for a long, long time ;) But really it DOES NOT MATTER, everyone reading this comic knows what fire means in this context and ugh I'm not talking about this any more.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

maltesh posted:

WHether or not Hinjo is alive is an important question to a large number of people, and so i imagine a lot of people are watching him, both in person, and through agents.

On the other hand, anyone who's actually on the wall would probably be able to see that that was an illusion, given what Elan had them saying, and how their bodies disappeared after falling off the wall.

Also, they could probably see Elan and Haley from that angle.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 22, 2007

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
I can't believe this. People here are actually arguing that you can "fire" an arrow from a bow.

Hey, I've got a gun, it unstacks bullets. And my car prances down the road, taking me to the restaurant where I'll adsorb some food.

As to the illusion: I think that the tremendous cheesiness is part of the joke. Remember that this is (or at least was) a comic about the humorous things that you'd get if you actually lived life according to the D&D rules.

Remember that early comic where a dragon breathes fire on the party. Everyone falls over screaming, except Haley, who is completely untouched--she's got Evasion, see? So even though she doesn't actually do anything and the fire completely surrounds her, she isn't hurt by it.

\/\/\/ haha, "adsorb" doesn't go through anything...

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 23, 2007

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Robot Bastard posted:

the restaurant where I'll adsorb some food.

Through your intestinal lining!

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Really why is everyone getting so bent out of shape about the word fire? When used as an intransitive verb fire is correctly used to indicate the launching or sending off of a projectile, but it really doesn't matter it's a humor comic not a treatise on the english language, modern readers know the word fire means to shoot, so the writer uses the word fire to mean shooting.

PS. Volley is first attributed in 1573 (from the middle French Volee [flight]), Fire in the shooing sense to ~1530 so volley wouldn't have been the historic word either.

To get back to the comic, does anyone else hope they remove the mark from Belkar soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
I almost wish the Mark of Justice was worded differently - if it specified "within the bounds of Azure City" then it wouldn't have to ever be taken off.

I'd also like to mention that the Wikipedia entry for OotS is kind of terrifyingly long. Note the links at the bottom for other related pages.