Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

StealThisAlias posted:

i just purchased a line 6 spider III 75 watt combo amp, 400 presets, 12 amp models, 6 effects, built in tuner, and i really enjoy using it for practice.

I got one of those a few months back, and it is great fun for Jamming/Writing. I'm not a big tube enthusiast, but I really didn't think the tone of it sounded overly digital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Don't you know pump it up! YOU'VE GOT TO PUMP IT UP!!!
I bought this original Hagström Cabinet some weeks ago. I really really like, now i just need a preamp for it, with some tubes.

Behind the cabinet you can see my electric organ, and the body of my acustic guitar :v:

Hamer777
Jan 23, 2006
My brother promised me that he would buy me a Gibson Explorer if I learned a certain solo to a song. Also I don't have to choose the explorer if I don't want so basically a guitar for about $1000. Turns out it's pretty long but not hard so i'm learning it for when I head to Vegas next month. I've been thinking 4 guitars. feedback?

I would have to pay the difference on the double cut and the SG probably. In my head right now the Les Paul Studio is kinda losing the battle. The Double cut is my dream guitar, I love SGs and Explorers are insanely comfortable for me to play (i'm really lanky)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
You don't want a studio. They're called that because they're cheaper on ths insides. They're not built for heavy use, basically.

I like that doublecut, but the Explorer is nice, too. It depends on your style, I think.

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

Placed on order last night...

Should be here Late July/Early August. It will be a long, long wait. :(

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

LOO posted:

Placed on order last night...

Should be here Late July/Early August. It will be a long, long wait. :(

OOooohhhh... I loves me some quilted maple.

ptah
Apr 12, 2002

radiohead sucks

the wizards beard posted:

Well done on picking the yellow (coolest) one. I bet everyone else will go for the black, maybe the red.

Actually I'd be shocked, for that model, if most if not all of them sold were desert yellow. I mean if you're going to go 80's metal, you might as well go all out. All of the ones i've seen were that color.

Risky
May 18, 2003

New ESP H500 next to my Epiphone Les Paul

The ESP sounds great through my current setup. Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and a Boss GT8.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Risky posted:

New ESP H500 next to my Epiphone Les Paul

The ESP sounds great through my current setup. Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and a Boss GT8.

Tidy up your clothes young man or I'm confiscating your guitar gear :mad:

K-Roy
Apr 7, 2004
Ibanez RG350DX

Picked it up today. I like it.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

Zakalwe posted:

Then don't look at pictures of my gear that was taken in my room.

juan chaos
Sep 3, 2006
Let It Die

Zakalwe posted:

His shelves are remarkably neat. It could also be his "hamper corner" which I also have.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

juan chaos posted:

His shelves are remarkably neat. It could also be his "hamper corner" which I also have.

Quiet you. You can have the Epiphone if you back me up here.

Risky
May 18, 2003

juan chaos posted:

haha, you hit the nail on the head. I tend to just throw dirty clothes there. :)

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I just began teaching myself guitar and decided to start with an acoustic - an Epiphone Hummingbird

Street Spirit
May 20, 2001

Max/MSP, finally.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Acoustic quick-release. Great for mandolins, I tell you what.

About 10 packs of these. My local music shop has these at 3 bucks a pack, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than ordering bulk strings online.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I, too, am a sucker for quilted maple.

A quilt top blue Les Paul has been my dream guitar since I can remember. A Gibson would be preferable, but an Epi is fine too. I'm not a full time professional musician, so this will do juuust fine. 2006 model. These are seller photos; it should be here within 2 weeks.

Another of the same model, I believe, with tail, tremolo, and pickguard. God I just love blue quilted.

gregday fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 25, 2007

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

gregday posted:

A quilt top blue Les Paul has been my dream guitar since I can remember. A Gibson would be preferable, but an Epi is fine too. I'm not a full time professional musician, so this will do juuust fine. 2006 model. These are seller photos; it should be here within 2 weeks.

Another of the same model, I believe, with tail, tremolo, and pickguard. God I just love blue quilted.

I'm not a huge fan of the Les Paul body style, but I just have to say that hoooooooooly crap that thing is beautiful.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004

gregday posted:

jesus, that guitar looks loving sweet

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

gregday posted:

It really is a cool look. And the quilting on this one is insane.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I'm reasonably sure that this will be here in a week or two or so.

This is like World of Warcrack, only for audio :v:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

gregday posted:

Sir, I would like to have sexual intercourse with your guitar.

Pikal
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice

Hamer777 posted:

My brother promised me that he would buy me a Gibson Explorer if I learned a certain solo to a song. Also I don't have to choose the explorer if I don't want so basically a guitar for about $1000. Turns out it's pretty long but not hard so i'm learning it for when I head to Vegas next month. I've been thinking 4 guitars. feedback?

I would have to pay the difference on the double cut and the SG probably. In my head right now the Les Paul Studio is kinda losing the battle. The Double cut is my dream guitar, I love SGs and Explorers are insanely comfortable for me to play (i'm really lanky)

I personally like the double cuts. I own a Double Cut Faded. I love the P90's. I love playing the guitar in general. I played the double cut pro but it was way out of my price range.

Atomic Monkey
Jul 27, 2006

HIS AVATAR IS BEN AFFLECK BUT HIS NAME IS ATOMIC MONK.. OH WAIT, I GET IT
Hamer777 I have a gib LP studio and love it and I would reccomend that.

I just bought this off ebay

Duncan SH-8 Invader (Bridge 6 String Model)

I plan on putting it in the bridge on my LP and posting a report of how it sounds sometime :D.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Traded this

in for this

Feels much better.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Korg padKontrol. Finally, I can get back into (wanting to) make drum tracks, rather than just use loops. I dislike electronic, super quantized drums. I'd prefer to fake a rock drummer, and from the demos on korg.com, especially with the roll function, I can't loving wait.

QuantumKat
Jul 16, 2004

Member of the Catspiracy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The Korg padKontrol. Finally, I can get back into (wanting to) make drum tracks, rather than just use loops. I dislike electronic, super quantized drums. I'd prefer to fake a rock drummer, and from the demos on korg.com, especially with the roll function, I can't loving wait.

The question is, is this better than the AKAI MPD24, because that's the conundrum I find myself in.

:)

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Martytoof posted:

Traded this

in for this

Feels much better.

But it has less knobs :mad:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

QuantumKat posted:

The question is, is this better than the AKAI MPD24, because that's the conundrum I find myself in.

:)

Well, when checking out videos on youtube under "pad kontrol", there's a guy there just doing tons of stuff with it. The X-Y controller definitely wins me over. I honestly haven't really looked into the MPD24, so I may just be biased, but aside from it feeling "too light", I haven't heard many complaints about the padkontrol.

Seriously, X-Y drum rolls!!

Edit: Also!

http://remixmag.com/mag/remix_korg_padkontrol/

Check the "Surface Level" section with the write up about the different pad lighting setups. Neat!

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 26, 2007

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

mono posted:

But it has less knobs :mad:

You don't need knobs to play the piano :cool:

breaks
May 12, 2001

The padkontrol is definitely a little better for playing drums on. The MPD24 pads have to be hit slightly harder for them to register, and also there is not an even response over the whole pad like the korg.

The MPD24 also has some inane limitations, like endless rotary encoders with no way to send +1/-1 values.

The MPD24 is definitely better than the trigger finger, and you can still play drums decently on it, it's just somewhat inferior to the padkontrol.

phantom309
Nov 11, 2001
Pride O' the Campground

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've had one for a while. I gave up trying to program drum tracks and I just learned to play the thing in real time, like a keyboard. For that purpose it works very well. It's actually the first drum machine/controller I've ever owned that actually feels like it was designed to be played like a real instrument. Pads are better than the MPD16 and MUCH better than the Trigger Finger. I thought the Akai was somewhat more solidly built, but I've been pounding the hell out of the Korg for a year now and it's still fine. You'll be happy with it.

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis
Just picked up a beautiful Koa Strat. Guy at guitar center gave me the Memorial Day price today too :c00lbert: This thing is gorgeous. Koa wood body with bird's eye maple neck with Seymour Duncans. I'll post something other than an awful camera phone pic if I get my hands on a decent camera.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Cane Break posted:

Just picked up a beautiful Koa Strat. Guy at guitar center gave me the Memorial Day price today too :c00lbert: This thing is gorgeous. Koa wood body with bird's eye maple neck with Seymour Duncans. I'll post something other than an awful camera phone pic if I get my hands on a decent camera.

It actually has an alder body with a koa cap, not a koa body. But they are gorgeous guitars, with particularly attractive prices. I love me some koa (though spalted maple is still my favorite top).

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis
Ah, thank you for telling me so I don't look like an rear end in front of my real guitar nut friends.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Cane Break posted:

Oh, those are gorgeous. I played one last time I went to GC, but it seemed to have a much deeper tone unplugged than any of the other strats. I wouldn't have thought the cap would make that huge a difference.

As for me? Strings, realistically. I just busted B on my Taylor and was bummed as hell to find I'm out of Elixers. The guitar in my sights is this, but I can't really justify another guitar right now.

Hamer777
Jan 23, 2006

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

It actually has an alder body with a koa cap, not a koa body.
According to the website its basswood

QuantumKat
Jul 16, 2004

Member of the Catspiracy

breaks posted:

The padkontrol is definitely a little better for playing drums on. The MPD24 pads have to be hit slightly harder for them to register, and also there is not an even response over the whole pad like the korg.

The MPD24 also has some inane limitations, like endless rotary encoders with no way to send +1/-1 values.

The MPD24 is definitely better than the trigger finger, and you can still play drums decently on it, it's just somewhat inferior to the padkontrol.

Thanks for the tips then. I don't know if being slightly superior to the AKAI MPD24 is enough to make me shell out an extra $100 for the padKontrol though :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I'd like the pads of the PadKontrol to be a bit fatter (MPC2000/2500 style) but the fact that they're lit is a huge bonus - muting/unmuting in the dark is really easy that way.

I'd also like if there'd be a note repeat button so it could slave to the host's tempo - x-y roll is not that accurate. Also, a metal base with some weight would've been ace. Other than that, I can recommend the PadKontrol - I did my MPC1000 away because this would be a little bit more capable in combination with Ableton's Impulse.