Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Robot Bastard posted:

I can't believe this. People here are actually arguing that you can "fire" an arrow from a bow.

You're right they should be saying "Project arrows from your bows by releasing the strings!" instead so no one gets confused. Screw all that stuff about dialogue and flow and humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Man, I thought the last argument was ridiculous. Are people seriously getting their nerd panties in a twist over "firing" arrows?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Soonmot posted:

Man, I thought the last argument was ridiculous. Are people seriously getting their nerd panties in a twist over "firing" arrows?

It takes all kinds, here on the internet. For my part I know for certain that I fired my composite longbow twice around for four rounds at a game on Sunday.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's a DnD comic and the game uses 'fire' so I have no problem just leaving it at that. Just write it up as authentic terminology to the genre and forget about whether it might be accurate historically or whatever.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Cowcaster posted:

You're right they should be saying "Project arrows from your bows by releasing the strings!" instead so no one gets confused. Screw all that stuff about dialogue and flow and humor.
What the gently caress is wrong with "loose!" or "shoot them!" (Yes, I know that in the context of the comic it's important that the guy yell 'fire' so that the author can rip off Gary Larson.)

Hang on, I've emplaced some updates; I have to electrocute my computer now.

edit: Yeah, look. The reason this whole thing got started was that I thought the author was making a meta-joke about "Lord of the Rings". It's starting to seem that maybe he wasn't, giving the number of people here who are trying to claim that "fire a bow and arrow" is perfectly acceptable terminology.

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 23, 2007

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Robot Bastard posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with "loose!" or "shoot them!" (Yes, I know that in the context of the comic it's important that the guy yell 'fire' so that the author can rip off Gary Larson.)

What the hell is wrong with you you moronic semantics-arguing baboon?

Here are some definitions:

dictionary.com posted:

27. to discharge (a gun).
28. to project (a bullet or the like) by or as if by discharging from a gun.
29. to subject to explosion or explosive force, as a mine.
30. to hurl; throw: to fire a stone through a window.
37. to shoot, as a gun.
38. to discharge a gun: to fire at a fleeing enemy.
39. to hurl a projectile.
45. fire off,
a. to discharge (as weapons, ammunition, etc.): Police fired off canisters of tear gas.
b. to write and send hurriedly: She fired off an angry letter to her congressman.

On the other hand, shooting is the act of firing a gun. But guess what, you can also shoot a bow! No one besides you cares about these tiny differences in usage!

Robot Bastard posted:

Yeah, look. The reason this whole thing got started was that I thought the author was making a meta-joke about "Lord of the Rings". It's starting to seem that maybe he wasn't, giving the number of people here who are trying to claim that "fire a bow and arrow" is perfectly acceptable terminology.

"Yeah, look," is a sentence fragment. What is it giving the number of people?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Robot Bastard posted:

edit: Yeah, look. The reason this whole thing got started was that I thought the author was making a meta-joke about "Lord of the Rings". It's starting to seem that maybe he wasn't, giving the number of people here who are trying to claim that "fire a bow and arrow" is perfectly acceptable terminology.

There is no rolleyes big enough to describe what I am feeling right now.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
I give up. Your hoard of arguments have decimated me.

\/\/\/ holy poo poo, someone (bgaesop) actually got the joke

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 23, 2007

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Robot Bastard posted:

I give up. Your hoard of arguments have decimated me.

:eng101: Horde! I assume you mean "horde" since we presented a plethora of reasons, rather than ones that I had stored up ahead of time (a "hoard.") A hoard is what a dragon has, a horde is what the army of hobgoblins is.

Also, I doubt I have removed one tenth of your... whatever it is that I was supposed to have decimated.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

bgaesop posted:

Here are some definitions:

You forgot the most damning ones from the epic folks at Merriam-Webster:

Noun:
"5a: the firing of weapons (as firearms, artillery, or missiles)"

Verb:
"3b: to emit or let fly an object"

Seriously. Arguing that "fire" is not a legitimate way to tell someone to shoot a bow is like that horrible early-90s argument that "celebrity" should not have been used in Dances With Wolves, as it was not "period," despite the word being around since the 14th century.

Shut up about inexact definitions if you do not know a drat thing about words in the first place. You will just end up sounding dumber as a result.

Now, let us all get back to how Order of the Stick is the best web-comic ever.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

bgaesop posted:

:eng101: Horde! I assume you mean "horde" since we presented a plethora of reasons, rather than ones that I had stored up ahead of time (a "hoard.") A hoard is what a dragon has, a horde is what the army of hobgoblins is.

Also, I doubt I have removed one tenth of your... whatever it is that I was supposed to have decimated.

Bah. His use of decimated is perfectly fine.

quote:

1. to destroy a great number or proportion of: The population was decimated by a plague.
2. to select by lot and kill every tenth person of.
3. Obsolete. to take a tenth of or from.

Obviously if this thread were an adventuring party in D&D, it would be LOPE or Lords of Pedantry Exemplar and we'd all be in it.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

clockworkjoe posted:

Bah. His use of decimated is perfectly fine.

Robot Bastard posted:

\/\/\/ holy poo poo, someone (bgaesop) actually got the joke

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Why is this even an argument? Hobgoblins are idiots. It'd be just as fitting for them to scream about how good pie is while they're shooting their arrows.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Soylentbits posted:

Why is this even an argument? Hobgoblins are idiots. It'd be just as fitting for them to scream about how good pie is while they're shooting their arrows.
And if this were Erfworld, there'd be a unit leader telling them to keep their forks.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think what we really want to know is the correct verb for making use of the 1st level arcane spell, Magic Missiles.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

I think what we really want to know is the correct verb for making use of the 1st level arcane spell, Magic Missiles.

Widely agreed to be "to zap" but also "to ping".

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
They're not even speaking english as we know it, nor were people in the middle ages.

Soonmot posted:

Ha ha yeah you guys though we were trashing the thread while arguing about CR and class balance and poo poo how you like it now huh? HUH?

Efreet saiid fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 23, 2007

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Has the comic said before how long it'll take someone like V to get his spells back? I can't remember them ever bringing that up, but then I haven't finished my tour of the archives yet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

RentACop posted:

Has the comic said before how long it'll take someone like V to get his spells back? I can't remember them ever bringing that up, but then I haven't finished my tour of the archives yet.

I could be way off but I think you need to "rest" for a night to recover your spells.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
Spellcasters have to rest overnight, but V doesn't actually need much sleep since they're an elf. This is as per standard D&D rules and as per one of the earliest strips(where roy takes watch all night and his father visits him for the first time).

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Trouble Man posted:

Don't forget the archaic use of "Dedarknessing"

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I know about the resting, but the mechanics, I mean, if he gets interrupted halfway through does he get half his spells, if he takes a cat-nap could he get one spell back that sort of thing. Basically I'm wondering whether V will be able to do anything before the seige is over.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

RentACop posted:

I know about the resting, but the mechanics, I mean, if he gets interrupted halfway through does he get half his spells, if he takes a cat-nap could he get one spell back that sort of thing. Basically I'm wondering whether V will be able to do anything before the seige is over.

Elves require only four hours of meditation to recover the amount that other races need 8 hours of sleep for, but they still need 8 hours of rest in order to prepare any spells. Any time they are interrupted adds an hour to the required rest, and the hour directly before they prepare new spells must be completely uninterrupted. Of course, there are feats and such that alter this.

edit: "rest" is defined as "not moving, being in combat, casting spells, using skills, talking, or any mental or physical task of equivalent effort."

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Trouble Man posted:

I prefer to say "Fox 1" and mimic the sound of a jet fighter firing missiles.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

RentACop posted:

Standard D&D rules are pretty iron-fisted about this. Once a wizard has used up all his spells, he pretty much needs nine straight uninterrupted hours (eight of rest, one of staring at his spellbook) to get 'em back.

He can opt to leave some of his spell slots "blank" and then fill them by just quickly ducking down and studying for fifteen minutes in the middle of the day, but he can't study for just one hour whenever he wants and restore one ninth of his spells. In fact, any spells he casts during his nine hours of rest/preparation (like, if he never cast a magic missile spell he had prepared and so he just fires it into the air for fun) that counts against his spells for the new day.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

My hope is that, as they're dashing from the secret tunnel exit to the castle, he stops by a magic item shop and claims martial law to abscond with a plethora of wands and scrolls.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
:siren: New comic up! :siren:

Cleric fight!

farraday fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 24, 2007

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
That strip summed up why I never made a cleric character in my few years of D&D. Spellsword for life :black101:

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Interesting.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Interesting that Redcloak isn't so caring about the fates of the Hobgoblins that he'll take a minute to let the Hobgeneral actually get down from the Magical Elephant.

(yes, yes, you don't get down from a magical elephant, you get down from a magical duck.)

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I wonder if "ZOT!" and the pile of ashes is supposed to be a Usenet Oracle reference or not. Probably not.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Nope; Johnny Hart.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I have to say this is a particularly hilarious example of a way to re-use the same two frames of a comic strip several times without it being too irritating. Though, to his credit, the deific energies are different each time. And this reminds me of the days when I pushed our GM to take clerics out of the campaign entirely and just give everyone low fast healing, since nobody ever wants to play the stupid cleric.

Parahexavoctal posted:

Interesting that Redcloak isn't so caring about the fates of the Hobgoblins that he'll take a minute to let the Hobgeneral actually get down from the Magical Elephant.

I thought the same thing, but if you think about how summoning spells really work, likely the elephant just disappeared normally at that point, and the hobgoblin general just did not know it was coming like Redcloak did. There is the little spell-effect-like cloud around Redcloak's hand, but it does not seem actually connected to the elephant. Let me continue analyzing this profoundly insignificant area.

Heresiarch posted:

I wonder if "ZOT!" and the pile of ashes is supposed to be a Usenet Oracle reference or not. Probably not.

While I have no idea what this means (well, I know what Usenet is, and what oracles are, but not in tandem), it is entirely possible. Rich Burlew certainly seems well-versed in all forms of nerdy arcana.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Quarex posted:

nobody ever wants to play the stupid cleric.

Whaaa? I love playing Clerics! You're by far the most powerful member of the party. By far. You automatically get leadership of the group, because who the hell is going to adventure without a Cleric? If anyone disagrees with you, hey, feel free to spend all your money on healing potions, the rest of us will go the other way and keep our treasure.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Heresiarch posted:

Rich Burlew is clearly a fan of Scott McCloud. All we have to wait for now is a teenager to save the order with the help of rocket boots and a nonlethal laser pistol.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Quarex posted:

I have to say this is a particularly hilarious example of a way to re-use the same two frames of a comic strip several times without it being too irritating. Though, to his credit, the deific energies are different each time. And this reminds me of the days when I pushed our GM to take clerics out of the campaign entirely and just give everyone low fast healing, since nobody ever wants to play the stupid cleric.

Iron Heroes has a good solution to the problem. Every character has a number of reserve hit points equal to their hit points. A PC transfers 1 reserve point to HP per minute of rest and the healing skill replenishes reserve points.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Soylentbits posted:

Rich Burlew is clearly a fan of Scott McCloud.
Jeez, people, Zot the anteater existed before Scott McCloud did!

Although it's probably more likely that it is indeed a USEnet Oracle reference.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

bgaesop posted:

Whaaa? I love playing Clerics! You're by far the most powerful member of the party. By far. You automatically get leadership of the group, because who the hell is going to adventure without a Cleric? If anyone disagrees with you, hey, feel free to spend all your money on healing potions, the rest of us will go the other way and keep our treasure.
My Druid wishes to disagree with your assertion. Complete Divine may have generally sucked, but the addition of the Vigor spells and Rejuvenation Cocoon make up anything lame about the rest of the book.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
zot is also a sound effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

NorgLyle posted:

My Druid wishes to disagree with your assertion. Complete Divine may have generally sucked, but the addition of the Vigor spells and Rejuvenation Cocoon make up anything lame about the rest of the book.

The Vigor spells are also Cleric spells, and Rejuvenation Cocoon, while good, is not nearly as good as Heal, which is only one level higher. Plus very few people play druids.