Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

ranathari posted:

I picked up a new jacket today!

It's a really nice, tight fit with perforated front panels and elasticated material on the inner arms to allow stretch on sportsbikes. It just exudes an aura of reassurance that I'm not going to lose my skin if I crash.

Does it zip to a set of trousers? I quite like the look of the RST stuff, but new sets of leathers are a long way down my current shopping list. Also are those gloves really short, or do your sleeves ride up a long way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
There's an internal flap that ends with a zip so you can match them to trousers. It's slightly elasticated as well so you can pull it down to meet the trousers if need be.

The gloves are winter ones intended to go with my textile jacket, so they're really short. The sleeves go down to the wrists and a proper set of double-cuffed gloves will go over the top nicely.

If you want a new jacket then I think it's pretty amazing: it's triple stiched, perforated front panels and armpits, elasticated inner arms for stretch, inner pocket for a soft back protector, thermal liner etc. I really like the minimal nature of it, unlike the hideous colour schemes on most leathers.

Swingline Savvy
Aug 10, 2005

RC212V posted:

I'm looking for saddle and tail bags for my Ninja 650. I'd like something that I can keep on my bike, so it needs to be fairly sturdy and have zippers that you can lock together.
I love Dowco's 'Fastrax' line.

Waterproof, built-in rain covers, tons of room and excellent fit and finish.

Panniers/tailbag runs around $300 and the tankbag is $130ish. Awesome stuff and built like a tank.

RC212V
Nov 17, 2006

by Eris Is Goddess

Mapless posted:

I love Dowco's 'Fastrax' line.

Waterproof, built-in rain covers, tons of room and excellent fit and finish.

Panniers/tailbag runs around $300 and the tankbag is $130ish. Awesome stuff and built like a tank.

These look great, just what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I saw a woman riding an old Ninja in a dress today. It made the shorts and flip-flops set seem almost sensible. Almost.

JAlfredPrufrock
Jul 12, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I'm not sure if I've posted my setup or not, but if I can field any questions about anything I ride with I will.

HJC CL-14 with tinted visor and that cool little HJC helmet breath redirector thingie
Fieldsheers one piece
Alpinestars race back protector
Sidi Vertebras, Sidi socks
some worn out rear end knee pucks
Held Kryptons

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Tonk posted:

No kidding. For someone just getting into riding, it seems like a hefty fee after spending a few grand already. It's really hard to justify (money-wise) when you're buying a $2000 scooter and I'm the only person I've seen so far that wears full gear riding it around.

I do too! Hitting the pavement at 40-50mph is going to hurt no matter if you are falling off a Scoot, a goldwing or a GSX-R 1000.

Kruzen
Sep 3, 2003

I need to engage in homicidal behaviour on a massive scale. It can not be corrected but I have no other way to fulfill my needs.
Anyone have some comments on the Aerostich Roadcraft 1 pc?

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Roadcrafter-One-Piece-Suit-p-16133.html

From the reviews and other reccomendations from people it sounds like it even beats leathers for daily riding and safety.

Cuchulainn
May 19, 2007
It's like hide and seek, only with guns.

Kruzen posted:

From the reviews and other reccomendations from people it sounds like it even beats leathers for daily riding and safety.

No need for comments about the Roadcrafter, as it's about the best-reviewed piece of riding gear ever invented. I doubt you'll find anyone who doesn't love their Roadcrafter. Aerostich service rules, you won't be sorry. Heck, even their catalog makes for great bathroom reading.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cuchulainn posted:

Heck, even their catalog makes for great bathroom reading.

I've yet to find a catalog that doesn't. There was a catalog of electrical connectors in the bathroom at work that I read through a couple times. The only exception I've seen was the cruiser catalog that came in the mail that was 300 pages of chrome and "leathers" (cosmetic vests and chaps, mostly).

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Kruzen posted:

Check out the Olympia one-piece too.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Kruzen posted:

Quite a few of my riding friends own them and they never shut up about how amazing it is.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
If you guys had about $800 to spend on a 1pc leather suit, what would you go with?

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Kruzen posted:

Ask Neck Tooth or Plastic Sun about it. I never shut up about mine.

A Roadcrafter is God's gift to commuters.

(edit) I have the two piece since my body is formed strangely. Different sizes for jacket and pants, plus the jacket comes down over the crotch a bit so it prevents water from getting in there when you're lanesplitting past Noah's animals.

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
My Alpinestars Track Pants turned up yesterday. They seem to be a well made bit of gear with some fairly thick leather in most places. Mated up perfectly to the SMX Air-Flo jacket I bought a month previously.

In fact, they should mate up to any Alpinestars leather jacket with the circumference zipper.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
Just to throw it out there, I bought a Power-Trip Power Shift jacket about a month ago, because I liked the zip-off outer shell, and that it had leather on the likely impact areas. Unfortunately, it began to fall apart in less than three weeks (zipper broke and neck snap fell out). The dealer replaced it with a new one today, but given how fast the last one began to break down I wonder if this one will last a month before I go to get a refund (I hope so, I really like the design of the jacket).

On the positive side, I bought some FirstGear MeshTex 2.0 pants about the same time, and they have been very convenient for commuting, and show no signs of wear. Now if I could only find gloves that fit right.

NoImaBear
Apr 29, 2004
Iie, watashi wa bearu desu!

Road_Warrior posted:

My Alpinestars Track Pants turned up yesterday. They seem to be a well made bit of gear with some fairly thick leather in most places. Mated up perfectly to the SMX Air-Flo jacket I bought a month previously.

In fact, they should mate up to any Alpinestars leather jacket with the circumference zipper.

How are you liking that jacket? I am seriously debating on picking one up.

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

NoImaBear posted:

How are you liking that jacket? I am seriously debating on picking one up.

So far so good, its a very 'rigid' fit but also very comfortable too. The aero hump in the back has some sort of hard foam in it that kinda digs into my back but that is the only uncomfortable thing about it.

It appears to be very well made, and it looks poo poo hot too :whatup:

Hopefully I will never have to use it in anger, if you know what I mean.

EDIT: Mine's the 2006 version, not the '07 version.

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

A journey never truly has an end...
Now, I'm a gear advocate, but of course, I've stated in the past that nothing feels better than the wind blowing by your face as you cruise down some back country roads. The funny thing is, the whole WEAR GEAR movement has really changed and taken hold, which is for the best.

Thinking back, back when bikes of old, the japanese standards and cruisers of the 60's, 70's and 80's were common sights... Back then, helmet laws were much more lax, so no one was wearing helmets. But, thinking about it, on those kinds of bikes, it just seems natural to NOT wear one. That was just the look that came with it.

Now, with sportbikes, you're burned at the stake if you don't have your gear on, at least by a lot of people here and many of the people I ride with. It's just funny how that works. Bikes of old were just as deadly as the bikes of today. The bikes of today just take you there much faster. Without the gear, though, you just look misplaced.

I still love going up to my parent's place, getting out my dad's '78 XS400, and heading out for a 30 mile cruise with nothing but a jacket, gloves and a pair of shades.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
I want a new helmet.

I know, goodie for me, right?

Here's the thing, I have a, well, unique bike. I want a unique helmet that will offer protection and still look cool. I am looking at full-face helmets, not faggoty spiked, chromed or german "I just rode out of a bad 70's movie" helmets.

Been looking at helmets all over the place and, to be frank, most of them are boring as hell or make you look like a power ranger on acid. I want one that is as aggressive looking as possible. A helmet that makes soccer moms lock thier mini-van doors and little children to point in awe and wonder. I want one to make the church-going squares purse thier prunish lips and shake thier pencil necked heads in disapproval. I want a helmet that is flat black or a mix of flat and gloss. I want a helmet that fits with my bike.

Any suggestions?

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

quote:

I want scary helmet

I never thought I'd recommend an Icon Helmet product...http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Icon_Mainframe_Helmet_Skull_Fusion--32-ICON05-7.html

This has a wierd shaped Visor that looks a bit angry:
http://www.designerhelmets.com/prodlist.php?cat=Simpson&prod=Speedway+RX

This is a neat looking black:
http://www.designerhelmets.com/prodlist.php?cat=Craft&prod=New+RX+13

The Shark RSX Dual Touch Mark is both gloss and matte black..
http://www.motowebshop.com/de/shop/helme/integral_helme/shark_rsx_high-tech_line

More Icon (Caution their website induces seizures):
http://www.rideicon.com

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 24, 2007

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
Not really fond of any of those, but that Icon website does have a helmet called the Solid Rubitone Domain that looks pretty cool...

So far, it is the best of the bunch...

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

DILLIGAF posted:

Not really fond of any of those, but that Icon website does have a helmet called the Solid Rubitone Domain that looks pretty cool...

So far, it is the best of the bunch...
New Enough has those and the Alliance which has fewer parts to break. (Icon helmets are somewhat known for falling apart after a year)
http://newenough.com/helmets_eyewear/closed_face/icon/alliance_ss_solid_rubatone_motorcycle_helmet.html

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DILLIGAF posted:

I want a new helmet.

Here's the thing, I have a, well, unique bike. I want a unique helmet that will offer protection and still look cool. I am looking at full-face helmets, not faggoty spiked, chromed or german "I just rode out of a bad 70's movie" helmets.

Been looking at helmets all over the place and, to be frank, most of them are boring as hell or make you look like a power ranger on acid. I want one that is as aggressive looking as possible. A helmet that makes soccer moms lock thier mini-van doors and little children to point in awe and wonder. I want one to make the church-going squares purse thier prunish lips and shake thier pencil necked heads in disapproval. I want a helmet that is flat black or a mix of flat and gloss. I want a helmet that fits with my bike.

Any suggestions?

Shoei RF-1000 Diabolic 2 TC-5

The Joust TC-5 is also pretty awesome looking, especially in person.

or, if you really want to look tough, you could go with something like a Suomy Spec 1R "flowers"

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

PlasticSun posted:

New Enough has those and the Alliance which has fewer parts to break. (Icon helmets are somewhat known for falling apart after a year)
http://newenough.com/helmets_eyewear/closed_face/icon/alliance_ss_solid_rubatone_motorcycle_helmet.html

Figures.... I find one that doesn't look like rear end and itis from a company known for shoddy products :D

I have a set of Icon gloves that I love... been wearing them for 2 years now. Are Icon helmets just rebadged or are they made for them?

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

ClockworkZero posted:

Shoei RF-1000 Diabolic 2 TC-5

The Joust TC-5 is also pretty awesome looking, especially in person.

or, if you really want to look tough, you could go with something like a Suomy Spec 1R "flowers"

The thing is, if you strip off the pretty graphics (which I would definitely do.. ) they look basically the same. Nothing really outstanding about any of them. I have a Nolan that at least has a distinctive shape, know what I mean?

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

DILLIGAF posted:

I want a new helmet.

Any suggestions?

I like Suomy's myself, although quite a few of them look like a power ranger on acid, but they have the best artwork/quality. There are some black vandal ones on there...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

DILLIGAF posted:

Figures.... I find one that doesn't look like rear end and itis from a company known for shoddy products :D

I have a set of Icon gloves that I love... been wearing them for 2 years now. Are Icon helmets just rebadged or are they made for them?

HJC makes their helmets.

I think your best bet is to wear just a bog standard black helmet with a dark smoked visor.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

DILLIGAF, you need a carbon fiber helmet.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DILLIGAF posted:

The thing is, if you strip off the pretty graphics (which I would definitely do.. ) they look basically the same. Nothing really outstanding about any of them. I have a Nolan that at least has a distinctive shape, know what I mean?

If you're looking at interesting shapes/forms then maybe check out Simpson helmets
http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/products/Helmets.aspx
maybe something like the Bandit series or Speedway RX

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Wouldn't the aerodynamics on a car helmet really suck?

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

ClockworkZero posted:

If you're looking at interesting shapes/forms then maybe check out Simpson helmets
maybe something like the Bandit series or Speedway RX

The Diamondback is pretty rad looking... but holy poo poo, $600??? I may have to lower my sights a bit...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

n8r posted:

Wouldn't the aerodynamics on a car helmet really suck?

the aerodynamics...
we're talking about DILLIGAF's bike here, I don't think aerodynamics are a deciding factor.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

ClockworkZero posted:

the aerodynamics...
we're talking about DILLIGAF's bike here, I don't think aerodynamics are a deciding factor.

I would be mortally offended if it weren't so true.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Problem solved. $289 of awesome.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Have you considered having a helmet custom painted? Maybe a flat black helmet with a stencilled skull or "Chrome Sucks" or whatnot on the back? Or maybe Scareface airbrushed on? The helmet above would probably be cool.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Terminus Est posted:

Problem solved. $289 of awesome.

Found one on egay for $285 shipped... that just might be the ticket...

Swingline Savvy
Aug 10, 2005

DILLIGAF posted:

I want a new helmet.

AGV tiTech Industriale.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Mapless posted:

AGV tiTech Industriale.

I really like this idea, looks bad rear end and different and the background behind it coming to be is pretty awesome too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

DILLIGAF posted:

Found one on egay for $285 shipped... that just might be the ticket...

That is a pretty sweet looking helmet. The one time I tried buying a helmet online it didn't work for me and the helmet didnt fit. I'd be looking to try on a Simpson before you buy. I've got a very normal round head, but I still don't fit well into lots of brands.