Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

ClockworkZero posted:

If you're looking at interesting shapes/forms then maybe check out Simpson helmets
http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/products/Helmets.aspx
maybe something like the Bandit series or Speedway RX

Inst that what The Stig wears? (but in white)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack

Road_Warrior posted:

Inst that what The Stig wears? (but in white)

I think it is, but the Stig wore a black on as well for the first few seasons.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

pr0zac posted:

I really like this idea, looks bad rear end and different and the background behind it coming to be is pretty awesome too.
Man, the background isn't what I expected at all. "Make me a helmet that looks like my head is being eaten by a snake!" versus "here's a naked helmet so we can explain why our helmets are so drat much safer."

Lawn
Jan 15, 2004

Positive Paul!
Some of those Simpson automotive helmets look pretty awesome, but the fit would be the tricky part. Where do they even sell those in stores to try them on?

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

DILLIGAF posted:

I want a new helmet.

I know, goodie for me, right?

Here's the thing, I have a, well, unique bike. I want a unique helmet that will offer protection and still look cool. I am looking at full-face helmets, not faggoty spiked, chromed or german "I just rode out of a bad 70's movie" helmets.

Been looking at helmets all over the place and, to be frank, most of them are boring as hell or make you look like a power ranger on acid. I want one that is as aggressive looking as possible. A helmet that makes soccer moms lock thier mini-van doors and little children to point in awe and wonder. I want one to make the church-going squares purse thier prunish lips and shake thier pencil necked heads in disapproval. I want a helmet that is flat black or a mix of flat and gloss. I want a helmet that fits with my bike.

Any suggestions?

For weird and unique, have you considered an Airoh? The S4 and Tyger are both pretty distinctive looking, and you can remove the sun-visor to make them look less dualsport-ish and more streety.

Tyger:

S4:

without sunvisor:

Just imagine it in black and without the nerdy-looking guy in it. I have a couple friends who use them, and they're pretty sweet-looking in person.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
This Airoh looks way better for non-dirtbike riding:

It's modular so you can detach the chin bar if you want an open-face helmet too.

edit: looking on their website, that helmet is available in duo colour schemes and there's one variant that has a chrome overlay on it. Might fit it with that horrendous thing that is DILLIGAF's bike.

ranathari fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 26, 2007

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
That looks like a paintball mask.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
Roof are another zany helmet manufacturer, even if the site does only seem to work in French.

They do a lot of funky stuff, especially if you don't mind it being a flip face. I used to see a LOT of couriers wearing them, and 'mean' certainly features into it.

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Went out for a blat today with my new track pants on, I can see its going to take a bit of getting used to riding with them on, they were very rigid and tight around the knees at first and it kind of worried me a bit. But after about an hour or so they seemed to break in a little and riding with them was like second nature.

Apart from the armour plating in the left knee being a little out of place (it digs into my knee somewhere and is annoying) they're great. Its wierd, but I feel a lot more confident giving it some berries on the street with decent leathers on.

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

Road_Warrior posted:

Apart from the armour plating in the left knee being a little out of place (it digs into my knee somewhere and is annoying) they're great. Its wierd, but I feel a lot more confident giving it some berries on the street with decent leathers on.

Oh yeah, having GOOD leathers on makes me feel much more confident. I swapped out sprockets/chain yesterday and went for a shakedown run wearing cotton pants and a t-shirt and kept looking behind me for cops. I felt so outta sorts that I felt I was doing something ILLEGAL by not wearing my gear. I only went 2-3 miles but the whole time I was nervous.

Lawn
Jan 15, 2004

Positive Paul!
How low could I could talk this guy down?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/mcy/339044070.html

Those are my sizes, basically. I'd really like a set of full leathers, though I think I'd prefer one piece. I want something I can use for leisure riding, and I already have a nice leather jacket I use for commuting. For going to school/commuting, I feel like I should wear leather pants too, but it's not practical enough for me. I just trust caution and riding easy to keep me safe.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Got my 1 piece JR leathers yesterday. I went with size 44, even though they're a bit tight walking around, they fit well when on the bike. (I'm 5'10-11" 160lbs for reference)

I got them for $530 (retail $900) from newenough, that's the only reason that I got the bright green Power Rangers gear.

Also pictured are my $30 AGV gloves (retail $90)

So I'm ready for my Willow Springs track day on june 15th :)

dad and I (not gay)

RC212V
Nov 17, 2006

by Eris Is Goddess
I'm wanting to buy one of the those new EXO-1000 Scorpion helmets so I don't have to carry a clear visor with me everywhere, but the only place I've really seen them for sale is NewEnough.com. If I go into a store and try on the other Scorpion helmets, should the fit be the same from the 700 series?

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack

RC212V posted:

I'm wanting to buy one of the those new EXO-1000 Scorpion helmets so I don't have to carry a clear visor with me everywhere, but the only place I've really seen them for sale is NewEnough.com. If I go into a store and try on the other Scorpion helmets, should the fit be the same from the 700 series?

Just as a heads up, that's because they've not been released , so far as I know. They're only available for pre-order, so if you wait they might get some in stores when they are released (june I think.)

RC212V
Nov 17, 2006

by Eris Is Goddess

23reasons posted:

Just as a heads up, that's because they've not been released , so far as I know. They're only available for pre-order, so if you wait they might get some in stores when they are released (june I think.)

Oh, my bad. I just now checked NewEnough again and it doesn't tell you they aren't available until mid August until you try to select a size. Thanks.

Swingline Savvy
Aug 10, 2005
Are you really wanting to buy a helmet with inflatable bits?

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Anyone know where I can buy replacement cheek pads for my Shark helmet? I'm pretty hosed off that less than a year after I bought this thing the pads are starting to come apart around the collar.

The dealer goes "normal wear and tear". Pigs arse, I didnt pay $500 for a lid to have it start falling to bits after 8 months.

Swingline Savvy
Aug 10, 2005

Road_Warrior posted:

The dealer goes "normal wear and tear". Pigs arse, I didnt pay $500 for a lid to have it start falling to bits after 8 months.
Try calling or e-mailing Shark, Arai has sent me 3 different sets, based on nothing more than my mentioning that they seem a bit 'used'.

RC212V
Nov 17, 2006

by Eris Is Goddess

Mapless posted:

I had kind of forgotten about that part, really. I guess it would wear out quicker than regular cheek pads, but I doubt I'll keep any one helmet longer than a few years each anyway.

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack

Mapless posted:

Hell yeah. If they work well, then it's a really nice helmet. I'm gonna wait for some reviews to come in when they do come out and if they're favourable I'll try it out.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Mapless posted:

your experiences with inflatable girlfriends may not necessarily transfer over to inflatable helmets :iceburn:

Swingline Savvy
Aug 10, 2005

Jazzzzz posted:

your experiences with inflatable girlfriends may not necessarily transfer over to inflatable helmets :iceburn:

However, I'm not willing to bet that an inflatable helmet WOULD last any longer than any of my (numerous) inflatable wimminz.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
Where can I get a chin cusion replacement for my CS12, until I get a new job I won't be buying a 500 dollar replacement. Some of those odd designs are quite appealing.

SiB
May 6, 2005

DILLIGAF posted:

Figures.... I find one that doesn't look like rear end and itis from a company known for shoddy products :D

I have a set of Icon gloves that I love... been wearing them for 2 years now. Are Icon helmets just rebadged or are they made for them?

I have had the Icon Domain Rubatone (flat black) helmet for about 2 months now, I love it. Although Icon has the shoddy rep I thought I would give them a try. Coming from a cheaper KBC helmet this Domain is leaps and bounds ahead of the old lid.

Way more comfortable, and light considering it's carbon fiber / kevlar composite. It is noticeably lighter than a buddies (fiberglass) Icon Alliance in flat black. The 'wing' and stuff on the back actually keeps your head pointing forward at higher speeds.

Just installed my helmet speakers into the provided holes in it and also put on my dark smoke visor today. No regrets so far with it. The only bad thing I have heard about this helmet is the finish, it will start to shine where it gets touched a lot (like where you grab it to take it off.)

Cuchulainn
May 19, 2007
It's like hide and seek, only with guns.

Road_Warrior posted:

Anyone know where I can buy replacement cheek pads for my Shark helmet? I'm pretty hosed off that less than a year after I bought this thing the pads are starting to come apart around the collar.

Go to a different dealer. I used to work for a Shark dealer, and we would have replaced that sort of stuff for you, and then worked it out with Shark.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I just ordered some AlpineStar Recon boots from NewEnough. Hopefully I got the size right because nobody around here carries them unless you want to special order them. I tried on some other AlpineStar boots in various sizes so I figure I got it right at 9 US/42 Euro. Anyone know what their return policy is regarding fit? They seem pretty accommodating and well recommended. I might need a half size bigger but I'll only know once I get them. On the major bonus side, because the exchange rate is so good right now (.91c/USD! ZOMG) it came to $175CAD shipped (I'll still have to pay Canadian taxes on it) which is substantially less than the $250 I would have to pay to special order a pair to a store here locally. I like how you can give a dollar to your favourite motorcycle web forum/community and they discount your order by $1. I gave mine to vfrdiscussion even though I'm not a member, I have used their forum for some valuable info so far!
Once I get them I'll be fully kitted out, finally, and I can bin my old workboots that I've been using.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
newenough has an amazing return policy.

I somehow bought two sets of saddlebags, and they took one back with no questions, people here have ordered multiple sizes of the same thing to see which worked best and returned the bad one.

shoafer0
Jan 26, 2004

meh
Boy oh boy am I excited!

code:
Shipment 1: Ships from New Enough Warehouse
Item 	                        Price 	Quantity
Alpinestars SP-2 Gloves 	$79.95 	1
Grey

Shipment 2: Ships from New Enough Warehouse
Item 	                                    Price 	Quantity
Alpinestars Black Label Ice Leather Jacket  $349.95 	1
White/Black
Can't wait till next week!

Here are the links to what I actually got.
http://newenough.com/protective_apparel/leather_jackets_and_pants/alpinestars/black_label_ice_leather_sport_jacket.html
http://newenough.com/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/alpinestars/sp_2_motorcycle_gloves.html

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Let us know how those gloves are once you get them. I currently have a perforated pair that I love as long as it's over 75 degrees and an insulated pair that I hate, but is decent below 50 degrees. I'd like a solid leather pair for the in between temps come fall.

shoafer0
Jan 26, 2004

meh

Uthor posted:

Let us know how those gloves are once you get them. I currently have a perforated pair that I love as long as it's over 75 degrees and an insulated pair that I hate, but is decent below 50 degrees. I'd like a solid leather pair for the in between temps come fall.

Sure will do. Honestly, I'm kinda nervous about the solid leather gloves for all year round. So I'm really not sure what to expect.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST
I used my alpinestars SP1's for the last year and they're great for regular temp. They suck rear end in the cold though.

Cuchulainn
May 19, 2007
It's like hide and seek, only with guns.

shoafer0 posted:

Sure will do. Honestly, I'm kinda nervous about the solid leather gloves for all year round. So I'm really not sure what to expect.

I've worn gloves like that for years, it's no problem.

shoafer0
Jan 26, 2004

meh
Ya'll are making me even more excited about getting my new gear. Can't wait!

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

shoafer0 posted:

The only times I've had a problem with my solid leather gloves was in the dead of winter, when I probably shouldn't have been riding anyways. Really, if it gets that cold you can probably just put on a smaller pair of regular cotton or wool gloves to keep your hands warm inside the leather gloves.

shoafer0
Jan 26, 2004

meh
Honestly I'm just worried about the summer, or is this a non issue?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

shoafer0 posted:

Your hands will sweat a little bit and it can make the gloves stink after a few months of solid use. Otherwise it's a non issue.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

shoafer0 posted:

Do you normally have sweaty hands? I've ridden through some godawful hot days both here in Virginia and in SC and haven't had a problem. Palms get a little sweaty but once you take the gloves off they dry out.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Summer '07 Riding Gear:

Black Power Ranger!

Scorpion EXO700
MotoGP Corkscrew Jacket
Teknic Lightning Gloves
VelocityGear Back Protector
JR Blaster pants
Sidi Vertigo Boots

Now I just need the black bike...

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Blaise posted:

Summer '07 Riding Gear:

MotoGP Corkscrew Jacket
JR Blaster pants

Now I just need the black bike...

I've got the same jacket and pants. After my ~500 mile ride today I have to say, its a good combination. Just wondering, how'd you get the set to connect? My method involved my friend Jen, a sewing machine, and way too much thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Name
Apr 25, 2006

by Fragmaster
I need a 3/4 ("open-face") helmet, not for a motorcycle, and I'm looking for something very light. Anyone have recommendations? Besides "get a full-face" I mean, and yes I've seen that impact-probability diagram.