Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long.

Schwarzwald posted:

It has to do with limited spell casts per day. I can understand understand why a wizard who has to prepair each individual spell has a limit on how many he can cast per day, but why does a cleric?

Why would Tyr only let a cleric of his cast a spell only so often?

If a god trusts it's cleric enough to let him cast level 9 spells, why doesn't the god trust him enough to let him cast bless eight times a day, instead of cutting him off at seven?

Why does a god let it's clerics use whatever spell they want, whenever they want to?

In the end, the only good reason is game balance.

1. Game balance is enough of a reason.

2. Channeling Divine power isn't easy. The God in question probably doesn't want his cleric burned to a cinder by an overload of raw divinity. You get what you can handle.

3. Clerics memorizing spells is a little weird. So get the new Unearthed Arcana, and I mean right now. The spell points variant makes so much more sense for clerics. I also endorse the class defense bonus variant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Gassire posted:

It's nice they added some variety to classes but there has to be something like 500 from official sources alone, and they made it so casters pretty much have to take one to stay effective in most groups.
Heh. Sounds like SenZar...

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Wanderer posted:

I'll say it again for the grins: why do people keep talking about second-edition monks? Monk was not a class in second edition.

While this is a whole different level of nerd, I do feel the need to point out that an "Official" D&D product using 2nd edition rules (Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal) included Barbarians and Monks. Now, there may have never been real versions of these characters released for the table-top version, but they definitely were there and with 2nd edition rules.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Quarex posted:

While this is a whole different level of nerd, I do feel the need to point out that an "Official" D&D product using 2nd edition rules (Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal) included Barbarians and Monks. Now, there may have never been real versions of these characters released for the table-top version, but they definitely were there and with 2nd edition rules.

There was also a Complete Barbarian's Handbook with a number of kits to modify existing classes into barbarian versions. I'm pretty sure the Cleric's handbook had a monk kit, but that was just a cleric variant using unarmed attacks. This is just from memory; those books are in storage and I haven't read them in at least 7 years, so I may be off on the monk memory, but I'm certain about the Barbarian Handbook.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Hey, the new strip's up.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
Xykon didn't just totally conduct a job interview in the middle of a battle, he totally took the time to write out a note to make sure Redcloak was aware of this fact in the middle of a battle as well :xd:

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Holy poo poo. I guess the Titanium Elemental wasn't just a one-time trick.

"Astatine Elemental, kill all... gently caress! Okay, let's try again. Astatine Elem.... drat! Asta.... oh, hell with it. Plutonium Elemental."

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Think she'll survive? I don't know if MTs have the tools to beat off death gas.

If it kills her it gives more plausibility to a rift forming between Xykon and Redcloak and them splitting up.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
No Redcloak! Why can't you and Xykon be buddies and help each other :(

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
It's ok i'm sure they'll buddy up again once they clear the throne room.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Efreet saiid posted:

It's ok i'm sure they'll buddy up again once they clear the throne room.

Oh yeah and only reinforce how totally overpowered they are :rolleyes: god why did they even make "Xykon" a playable character class

Spaz mk. 2.0
Apr 19, 2005

Shank 'em if ya got 'em, fellas!

Ferrinus posted:

Oh yeah and only reinforce how totally overpowered they are :rolleyes: god why did they even make "Xykon" a playable character class

Sorcerer's aren't really that powerful compared to other spellcasting classes. Hell, I'm pretty sure there's a good reason V was split from the rest of the Order before he showed up. One disintegrate is all it would take to take him down what with his low Fortitude and lack of any constitution.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
She deserved it. :colbert:

Though it does seem a little odd that Redcloak would basically sentence her to death right after having a change of heart about letting the Hobgoblins sacrifice themselves just because he's irritated about having to do paperwork.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Women's Rights? posted:

She deserved it. :colbert:

Though it does seem a little odd that Redcloak would basically sentence her to death right after having a change of heart about letting the Hobgoblins sacrifice themselves just because he's irritated about having to do paperwork.

Redcloak does still have his hate on for humans though, and I guess he hates them enough he doesn't want to be working with one or something.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

tsob posted:

Redcloak does still have his hate on for humans though, and I guess he hates them enough he doesn't want to be working with one or something.

Yeah, it did seem a weird shift, but then I realized that there don't actually appear to be any humans (well, flesh and living status intact anyway) among Team Evil. And he could probably care less what some puny theurge would add to his already overwhelming forces.

Of course, that could all change depending on how effectively Xykon is dealing with the ghost martyrs at the moment.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah he specfically mentioned that hating other species is ok, and everybody hates mystic theurges anyway. They would be pretty useful in a war, though.

Ferrinus posted:

Hey relax man i'm just saying, they're probably going to be on good terms once they get back together, and yes I do think they're going to beat the ghost martyrs.

In fact I wouldn't be suprised if Xykon has a chat with him afterwards or during, kind of like he did with roy. In fact the more I think about it the more I wonder if Xykon's CHA is a big factor in the creation of his personality. He has this kind of flippant approach to things but still manages to comunicate well with people despite being kind of a ditz. He's an interesting take on a master'mind', and it makes more sense for him to be kinda of evil overlord-ey than somebody who's supposedly really smart or wise.

Efreet saiid fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 27, 2007

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Efreet saiid posted:

everybody hates mystic theurges anyway. They would be pretty useful in a war, though.

What exactly can they do then out of interest?

cryptfiend
Jan 22, 2007

tsob posted:

What exactly can they do then out of interest?

Being a mystic theurge means you can cast both arcane spells and divine spells. Other class features (turning/rebuking, wizard's familiar) don't progress with mystic theurge levels, so those features suck compared to those of a pure caster of equal level, and their spells are less effective because they have to multi-class.

They'd be good in a war because they have both their divine- and arcane-class spell slots, so they can kill tons of low-level units and still have their divine spells saved up for support.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rs/20030402a

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Efreet saiid posted:

In fact I wouldn't be suprised if Xykon has a chat with him afterwards or during, kind of like he did with roy. In fact the more I think about it the more I wonder if Xykon's CHA is a big factor in the creation of his personality. He has this kind of flippant approach to things but still manages to comunicate well with people despite being kind of a ditz. He's an interesting take on a master'mind', and it makes more sense for him to be kinda of evil overlord-ey than somebody who's supposedly really smart or wise.

That's a neat thought, and it makes sense since a sorcerer's key stat is CHA.

He's almost an Elan with brains.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Efreet saiid posted:

Yeah he specfically mentioned that hating other species is ok, and everybody hates mystic theurges anyway. They would be pretty useful in a war, though.
Hey relax man i'm just saying, they're probably going to be on good terms once they get back together, and yes I do think they're going to beat the ghost martyrs.

Now, wouldn't it be surprising if the Ghost Martyrs defeat Xykon, leaving Redcloak as the major villian?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Rincewind posted:

Now, wouldn't it be surprising if the Ghost Martyrs defeat Xykon, leaving Redcloak as the major villian?

Xykon still has his phylacricy (sp) so he'd be fine. Unless the ghosts pulled some sort of mad stunt.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Affi posted:

Xykon still has his phylacricy (sp) so he'd be fine. Unless the ghosts pulled some sort of mad stunt.

His what? :v:

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fuego Fish posted:

His tefillin.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That would be pretty hilarious if Xykon ended up getting annihilated by the ghost martyrs; sure, he still has his phylactery, but considering the continually growing rift between Redcloak and Xykon, and that Redcloak has the phylactery as I recall, well, that might not be much of an obstacle.

However, it seems particularly unlikely that the ostensible main villain of the entire strip would be killed off by comparatively minor sub-protagonists. So even if that did happen, he would clearly come back.

Fuego Fish posted:

I burn one blood for a Phylacricy preempt action.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
"phylactery" :v:

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Quarex posted:

However, it seems particularly unlikely that the ostensible main villain of the entire strip would be killed off by comparatively minor sub-protagonists. So even if that did happen, he would clearly come back.

I think it's likely that they'll end up hurting him though, otherwise there wouldn't have been any reason for that plot point to exist in the first place. I'm half expecting Redcloak to bust in on a bunch of ghost paladins and Xykon in a roughly-evenly-matched battle and decide to just kill them all.

The phrase "ghost paladins" is pretty neat.

Moshmo
Oct 19, 2001

New Strip Up
And site slow.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Moshmo posted:

New Strip Up
And site slow.

He needs to go ahead and change the strip schedule to tuesday thursday and saturday. Then we can get the strips a day late and be back to our normal monday wednesday friday schedule. Did anyone catch the strip before the site went down and mirror it?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

greatn posted:

He needs to go ahead and change the strip schedule to tuesday thursday and saturday. Then we can get the strips a day late and be back to our normal monday wednesday friday schedule. Did anyone catch the strip before the site went down and mirror it?

You forgot a day.

I also caught the update immediately but it was already down by the time I clicked the link.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

So I guess they are leaving Thog in that leprechaun outfit. Huh.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

farraday posted:

You forgot a day.

I also caught the update immediately but it was already down by the time I clicked the link.

I assume he would skip Sunday, because gently caress it, it's Sunday.

Edit: Finally got through. Glad to see the brotherhood of evil escape, but I hope now we can finally go back to the battle we REALLY wanted to see.

greatn fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 29, 2007

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

greatn posted:

I assume he would skip Sunday, because gently caress it, it's Sunday.

poo poo, what are us heathens going to do for entertainment then other then have wild crazy sex?

drat you Bgaesop! Just before I posted a waffleimage you have to go and be a better person then me.

Also, love the reference to Holy Grail.

farraday fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 29, 2007

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

farraday posted:

poo poo, what are us heathens going to do for entertainment then other then have wild crazy sex?

drat you Bgaesop! Just before I posted a waffleimage you have to go and be a better person then me.

Also, love the reference to Holy Grail.

I'll have you know I'm a heathen and I have perfectly normal, conservative sex, thank you very much. As a matter of fact, my girlfriend hates it. So there.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax

The Oldest Man posted:

So I guess they are leaving Thog in that leprechaun outfit. Huh.
They said they're going off to buy new equipment.

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.
Does "Shout" do some of that weird sonic damage that hurts everything?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Sock posted:

Does "Shout" do some of that weird sonic damage that hurts everything?

Off the top of my head, it seems likely, as I remember thinking "Great Shout" was such an awesome spell that it almost made getting 6th level Bard spells seem worthwhile. I guess that spell line must be in-class for more normal arcane casters, too, though.

And while I hardly expected the Linear Guild to be successfully imprisoned, I think it would be nice if they did something other than get away through another wacky series of coincidences. I hoped they would be sprung by Xykon at least.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
Forget this gates crap and all these lame PCs, Thog is who the comic should be about :colbert:

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
This strip was wonderfully meta. Nale decided not to intefere (the realistic option) because he knows the genre conventions (and prefers the dramatic option). Only in The Order of the Stick could this become good writing.

Zooloo fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 30, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Tsukiko beat the odds and survived too.

Anyone want to bet how long her good fortune lasts?