Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The mention of Wikipedia a few posts above me reminded me of a fun idea for an app. We've probably all gotten lost in Wikipedia -- summed up perfectly in this xkcd strip. Similar to the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon website, I think a program that could show you the the path from one wikipedia topic to another would be interesting.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1179624769

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramzi
Oct 10, 2004
The inner child of my soul was repeatedly gangbanged by a team of mall Santas.
Done. http://tools.wikimedia.de/sixdeg/

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Wow, I spent way too much time messing with that. Very very cool :)

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Just want to make sure this thread doesn't get archived. I am playing around with one of the requests, won't say which though :3:

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

I've got a request: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1179931480

I have lots of music and video from iTunes in DRM format and I'm backing them up on DVD so they don't take up 25GB of space on my small laptop hard drive. But before backing them up I'm using QTFairUse to de-DRM them as best I can.

The problem is QTFU can't de-DRM all the files (not the movies of course) and not all the music files either. I tried to use the log feature of QTFU to get a log of what files it missed so I could go back and try them again, but the log file it created was freaking 45MB (!!) and isn't worth a drat.

I need some little tool (preferably a command line tool but whatever) that will go through a directory recursively and look for *.m4p files.

When it finds a *.m4p file, it should look for a same named *.m4a de-DRMed file and give the option of deleting the DRMed *.m4p file. It should ask me interactively (with an option for always-yes or always-no of course) every time it wants to delete a file. It should probably move the files to trash rather than blasting them completely into dust.

When it finds a *.m4p file WITHOUT a corresponding *.m4a file, it should log a simple warning like "blah.m4p was not properly de-DRMed." so that I know what files I need to try QTFU on again.

Also, it should look for *.m4v files and log a similar message such as, "blah.m4v was not properly de-DRMed."

It should be a little future proof so that if a de-DRM scheme ever comes to fruition for *.m4v files, I can tell it what the corresponding de-DRMed file's extension will be. Seems like a simple text config file would be the easiest thing to do this.

So like:
code:
[b]de-DRM-checker.ini:[/b]

# a comment

# DRMed de-DRMed
m4p m4a
m4v	# Note that no de-DRMed extension given, but that m4v _is_ marked as DRM.

# Theoretecally unlimited pairs could be added to this list...
Since QTFU is only available on windows I guess a windows only app is fine. But it'd be even more awesome if it was portable because in the future there might be de-DRM software for Mac or Linux and I'd love to be able to bring this app over to those systems very easily if that ever happens (one can hope).

important: Some files I've downloaded are Japanese, French, Spanish, or Chinese and their filenames will reflect that fact. You can't rely on the filename being simple ASCII or the tool will not be able to process a significant portion of my music library. Since all I know is C++, I'd recommend boost::filesystem for great portability, but I'm sure there are other languages that are equally capable of doing this task.

I think this should be a pretty simple little app (even if it's got a few important details and gotchas) but if not, well, I guess in that case I'll just take a stab at it myself when I have more free time.

naughtysiggie
Feb 26, 2001
The website doesn't seem to be working anymore.

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

naughtysiggie posted:

The website doesn't seem to be working anymore.

Dreamhosting is cheap, but not that reliable. Just give it a few minutes if you can't connect. It's working for me right now.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
How about a program to remap keyboard keys... but without using the registry?

I'd like to remap the right Alt to a Windows key, if possible.

Answered my own question: http://www.autohotkey.com/ scriptable and very very customizable.

VVV Also thanks

lowcrabdiet fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 24, 2007

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

NashAsh posted:

How about a program to remap keyboard keys... but without using the registry?

I'd like to remap the right Alt to a Windows key, if possible.
Try MapKeyboard.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
I need something that can parse a playlist, preferably fpl format, though m3u and m3u8 would work, and copy the files in the playlist to a different drive preserving the directory structure please!

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Magnum0pus posted:

Can someone write me a quick program that would shut down Azureus when I open up CounterStrike, and then start it back up again once CS is closed? If so, that would be seriously amazing.

Kind of late, but I figured this would be easy enough for my sucky skills. So... yeah, done. Also my first publicly released program ever. :)

e: now with more silly bugfix, it wouldn't tell you the location if it was the first time you ran it. :downs:

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/AzureusAway

slovach fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 27, 2007

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Safrax posted:

I need something that can parse a playlist, preferably fpl format, though m3u and m3u8 would work, and copy the files in the playlist to a different drive preserving the directory structure please!

fpl is quite a bit harder than m3u/m3u8 to parse, as it can also contain lyrics, etc. (at least that's what was in the fpl's I saved to see which would be easiest). FPL's also didn't seem to have line separation like m3u's do. With an m3u, each line basically has the location of a song. So, 5000 songs, 5000 lines.

I might see if I can do this one, but it'd probably be with m3u/8's.

When you say preserving the directory structure, what exactly do you mean?

For instance: Album source folder is on D:/My Music/Artist - Album/. You want this on G:/

Do you want a G:/My Music/Artist - Album/(files here) or just G:/Artist - Album/(files here).

I have no experience with Rockbox, so I don't know exactly how it reads say ipod hard drives for files. Maybe it sounds dumb, but I just want to know how deep a directory structure you want preserved.

Tedronai66 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 27, 2007

Lusy
Oct 1, 2005
I'm a guy
I'd like something that would monitor Soulseek and when Slsk finishes downloading a file, would automatically add it to my current Winamp playlist.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Tedronai66 posted:

I might see if I can do this one, but it'd probably be with m3u/8's.

When you say preserving the directory structure, what exactly do you mean?

For instance: Album source folder is on D:/My Music/Artist - Album/. You want this on G:/

Do you want a G:/My Music/Artist - Album/(files here) or just G:/Artist - Album/(files here).

I have no experience with Rockbox, so I don't know exactly how it reads say ipod hard drives for files. Maybe it sounds dumb, but I just want to know how deep a directory structure you want preserved.

I want everything moved over in exactly the same way it is laid out in the m3u file. So if it's G:\Sugarcult\Palm Trees\whatever.mp3 itll be copied to the iPod drive (which is plain fat32) as F:\Sugarcult\Palm Trees\whatever.mp3. I've got some pretty deep directories already on the iPod so dont worry about depth.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Safrax posted:

I want everything moved over in exactly the same way it is laid out in the m3u file. So if it's G:\Sugarcult\Palm Trees\whatever.mp3 itll be copied to the iPod drive (which is plain fat32) as F:\Sugarcult\Palm Trees\whatever.mp3. I've got some pretty deep directories already on the iPod so dont worry about depth.

So far I've got it to copy just the music files over, and keep the structure. are there going to be images in the folders that need to be copied? The only library I saw that had image resizing/bmp conversion so far wanted 60$ for a full version (else you get a X in the corner or some crap). I'll look more at what I can do though. Too bad rockbox can't just use any image.

edit:
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/M3uCopy

At the very least you'll have the music files copied and any associated album art images. If something is wrong with the jpg's or anything, let me know. When I did it, each file had its own album art hidden jpeg (I listed them), but only the visible test jpeg was visible in the destination.

And I know I'm rambling. So, sleep for now.

Tedronai66 fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 27, 2007

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

Here's a decent one.

Make a program that sits on a Windows box and interfaces to TWAIN, so that it can scan images, and then using a provided URL and set of POST data, etc, uploads the newly-scanned image.

This would be a huge help for us because we often have to scan proofs, etc. and upload them into a web based workflow system. Right now they have to go over to the scanner pc, scan, copy to a shared folder, go back to their desk, copy from the share to the customer folder, and link it.

ElPipiripau
Nov 20, 2005
STOP SIGNING YOUR POSTS WITH THAT GODDAMN EMOTICON
Requesting an app with these characteristics:

1) To monitor a folder every "x" (minutes | seconds, must be able to define the time) for files according to filter (ex: *.jpg *.wmv or *)
2) To (copy | move) those files to another folder.
3) To rename (moved|copied) files if theres files with same names in the target folder
4) To run in tray bar (next to the clock)

Something like this would me amazing!

Ive tried foldMonkey (it seems to do this but fail most of the time for some reason) but really, it suxx big time.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

ElPipiripau posted:

1) To monitor a folder every "x" (minutes | seconds, must be able to define the time) for files according to filter (ex: *.jpg *.wmv or *)
3) To rename (moved|copied) files if theres files with same names in the target folder

Ive tried foldMonkey (it seems to do this but fail most of the time for some reason) but really, it suxx big time.
Why do you need it to monitor only ever x minutes? What about if it just continually monitored (much easier)?

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

DLCinferno posted:

Why do you need it to monitor only ever x minutes? What about if it just continually monitored (much easier)?

I'm not really familiar with what's involved in monitoring filesystem changes - why is continually easier? Can you register a callback for changes to a specific location?

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Neurozys posted:

I'm not really familiar with what's involved in monitoring filesystem changes - why is continually easier? Can you register a callback for changes to a specific location?
Well, usually it's polling a specific directory and checking for changes (at least what I've used). However, with .NET microsoft introduced a FileSystemWatcher that makes it incredibly easy by raising events whenever the directory you choose to monitor changes. Here's an example ripped from another site:

code:
public void CreateWatcher()
{
//Create a new FileSystemWatcher.
FileSystemWatcher watcher = newFileSystemWatcher();

//Set the filter to only catch TXT files.
watcher.Filter = "*.txt";

//Subscribe to the Created event.
watcher.Created += new
FileSystemEventHandler(watcher_FileCreated);

//Set the path to C:\Temp\
watcher.Path = @"C:\Temp\";

//Enable the FileSystemWatcher events.
watcher.EnableRaisingEvents = true;
}

void watcher_FileCreated(object sender, FileSystemEventArgs e)
{
//A new .TXT file has been created in C:\Temp\
Console.WriteLine("A new *.txt file has been created!");
}
I suppose you could just queue up the event notifications and run the copy every x minutes - if the intention behind wanting to specify the polling time was to prevent numerous copies from occuring simultaneously if you were spawning a new thread for each - but I would probably be queuing up the file copies anyway.

edit: It's not really apparent from the code above but the FileSystemEventArgs object has these properties:

* Name -- This property contains the name of the file that caused the event to be fired. It DOES NOT contain that path to the file--only the file or directory name that caused the event to be fired.
* ChangeType -- This is a type of WatcherChangeTypes and indicates which type of event was fired. Valid values are:
o Changed
o Created
o Deleted
o Renamed
* FullPath -- This contains the full path to the file that caused the event to fire. It includes the filename and the directory name.

I was thinking about taking this request, actually, but I decided to play xbox instead. :D Maybe I'll do it tomorrow after work or if it's a slow day unless someone else jumps on it first.

DLCinferno fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 29, 2007

ElPipiripau
Nov 20, 2005

DLCinferno posted:

Cool for me! I just dont want to miss the files (for example, if someone put files in the source folder and immediately he/she moves|delete them away.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

ElPipiripau posted:

Cool for me! I just dont want to miss the files (for example, if someone put files in the source folder and immediately he/she moves|delete them away.
Ok, I'll give it a shot tonight.

edit: gently caress, got mired into a work project 30 mins after I said this. Gonna have to put it off for awhile. :(

DLCinferno fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 30, 2007

ElPipiripau
Nov 20, 2005

DLCinferno posted:

Ok, I'll give it a shot tonight.

edit: gently caress, got mired into a work project 30 mins after I said this. Gonna have to put it off for awhile. :(

Oh hell... no problem! Give it a shot when you have the time. Thanks!

kaniff
Feb 27, 2004

oh word?

ElPipiripau posted:

Request filled. Let me know if it works for you, and if you have comments or requests.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/PathMonitor

kaniff
Feb 27, 2004

oh word?
edit: ignore me, i don't have a scanner

kaniff fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 30, 2007

ElPipiripau
Nov 20, 2005

kaniff posted:

Request filled. Let me know if it works for you, and if you have comments or requests.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/PathMonitor

Im testing it and work as expected... thanks!

If you like to add some other features, it would be cooler! :

1) I would like to select if i want to copy or if i want to move.
2) It would be awesome if it monitors subfolders and copy/move files using the folder structure
3) Multiple filters

Even with those features, it works sweet. (Please add feature 1!)

Thanks again buddy!

ElPipiripau fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 1, 2007

Racist Underwear
Mar 22, 2006
Pasted from my tinyappz request.

OS - Xubuntu Feisty
Shell - bash

I want to sort out my media folders. What I'd like is a command-line app that first asks you for the directories that you want to sort the files into, and then asks for an alias for each directory, e.g. "Enter a directory to move files to. Enter 'done' when finished adding directories or "quit" to cancel.(/home/whatever/stupidvideos/)
What will you put in this directory? (stupid videos)"
Once the user is done defining directories and aliases, the app starts with the first file in the directory the app is run in, detects the type, and opens it in the appropriate program (mplayer and ImageMagick should cover it.) Once the program closes, the app should ask the user if he wants to move the file to an aliased directory, enter a new directory/alias, list directories/aliases, delete the file, or leave it where it is. Non-media files should be handled with "Non-media file $filename." followed by the same options. On completion of the directory or on quitting, there should be an option to save the directories/aliases.

I know little about coding (have honestly screwed up "Hello World" in more than one language) so I don't know how tiny this will be.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Requesting a music timer-

An application (or add-on for WinAmp or iTunes) that, given a selection of mp3s and a time, will give a random playlist of songs with approximately that play time.

For instance, I'm goofing off on the internet before a class that begins in 1 hour and 15 minutes. I set the application to my music folder and 1 hour, so I know that once the music stops I should get going.

If this already exists, please point me to it.

Thanks in advance!

Also I think you guys are true SA heros :patriot:

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Tedronai66 posted:

So far I've got it to copy just the music files over, and keep the structure. are there going to be images in the folders that need to be copied? The only library I saw that had image resizing/bmp conversion so far wanted 60$ for a full version (else you get a X in the corner or some crap). I'll look more at what I can do though. Too bad rockbox can't just use any image.

Thanks for this. Where's the source if I may ask? I can add in resizing as long as its some kind of .NET app since GDI+ rocks at that kind of stuff.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 28, 2013

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Safrax posted:

Thanks for this. Where's the source if I may ask? I can add in resizing as long as its some kind of .NET app since GDI+ rocks at that kind of stuff.

It was done using C# in visual studio. I forget what all files I need to include. (never had to release source before from VS).

Also, for some reason the app doesn't like Unicode or something. The N with a squiggly thing above it (Spanish N) made it choke, and I still haven't been able to figure out why.

edit: also, I think foobar's file operations will already copy the music files over for you (and preserve directory structure completely), but I'm not entirely sure.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Here's an app i really could use

I do transcription of tv shows at work, the company uses a proprietary transcription interface based on internet explorer/media player, and some javascript for hotkeys and such.

What i do, is use winamp with global hotkeys instead. This approach has many clear advantages, but i typically have to hit 'view source', pull out the .wmv or .mpg file, and then paste it into an .htm file with a href in it so i can pull it up and download it with ie, to then play under winamp.

This would be a LOT easier if i could just run a program in the system tray that when i hit, say f12, would pull up the html source of a specific ie window (match on <title'> contents), and download the .mpg or .wmv file listed within.

It seems to me like it would be a pretty simple app, so i think it applies to this thread pretty well. If anybody can help me out with this I'd really appreciate it.

Also.. the url is often mms://, so matching on http probably wouldn't work, but if you could set up a wildcard in the prefs, so that it would download *servername*.mpg* or something, that would do it I think. Preferences would have options for matching on <title'>, and downloading the filename for a string that matches whatever wildcards.

Thanks!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

revmoo posted:

Here's an app i really could use

I do transcription of tv shows at work, the company uses a proprietary transcription interface based on internet explorer/media player, and some javascript for hotkeys and such.

What i do, is use winamp with global hotkeys instead. This approach has many clear advantages, but i typically have to hit 'view source', pull out the .wmv or .mpg file, and then paste it into an .htm file with a href in it so i can pull it up and download it with ie, to then play under winamp.

This would be a LOT easier if i could just run a program in the system tray that when i hit, say f12, would pull up the html source of a specific ie window (match on <title'> contents), and download the .mpg or .wmv file listed within.

It seems to me like it would be a pretty simple app, so i think it applies to this thread pretty well. If anybody can help me out with this I'd really appreciate it.

Also.. the url is often mms://, so matching on http probably wouldn't work, but if you could set up a wildcard in the prefs, so that it would download *servername*.mpg* or something, that would do it I think. Preferences would have options for matching on <title'>, and downloading the filename for a string that matches whatever wildcards.

Thanks!

Sorry if this is a little out of place, but if you use firefox and right click and "view page info" you can select the media file and just save it that way, it might be a lot easier. I don't know if you can use firefox at your work though.

Lt. Tom Paris
Mar 26, 2007

by The Finn
I don't know if I'm being out of line here, but the author of Halo Mapping Tools 3.5 left the scene, and now I really need one for Halo 2 vista. Can anybody please update this marvelous tool for halo 2 vista? I'll owe you my life.

http://halo2.filefront.com/file/Halo_Mapping_Tools_Version_35;37863

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

big mean giraffe posted:

Sorry if this is a little out of place, but if you use firefox and right click and "view page info" you can select the media file and just save it that way, it might be a lot easier. I don't know if you can use firefox at your work though.

The webapp only works with IE.

Ramzi
Oct 10, 2004
Two digits of hex can represent 256 different values. Two digits of hex represents one byte. There are 256 ASCII characters. Each ASCII character is one byte.

If we mapped a unique ASCII char to a unique hex value, then a text file of ASCII characters can contain the information of non-text files, such as images and executables.

Some free webspace services only accept the uploading of certain recognized file types. To circumvent this restriction, could someone code a program that would open a file of any type and convert it to a .txt file of ASCII garble. Then, take in a .txt file of ASCII garble, and convert it back to what it was?

The file extensions are not a concern for a program. After a text file is converted back, I will then change the extension manually.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
^ Why not use something standard like uuencode?

Mad Brahmin
Dec 29, 2004

Ramzi posted:

Two digits of hex can represent 256 different values. Two digits of hex represents one byte. There are 256 ASCII characters. Each ASCII character is one byte.

If we mapped a unique ASCII char to a unique hex value, then a text file of ASCII characters can contain the information of non-text files, such as images and executables.

Some free webspace services only accept the uploading of certain recognized file types. To circumvent this restriction, could someone code a program that would open a file of any type and convert it to a .txt file of ASCII garble. Then, take in a .txt file of ASCII garble, and convert it back to what it was?

The file extensions are not a concern for a program. After a text file is converted back, I will then change the extension manually.

Just rename the file, but with a .txt extension. Files are stored the same way regardless of name. The name is just a way to reference the actual data.

Ramzi
Oct 10, 2004

Sizzlechest posted:

^ Why not use something standard like uuencode?
Alright. In my mind when I think text I think ASCII. I have no prefence for ASCII, just the idea.

Mad Brahmin posted:

Just rename the file, but with a .txt extension. Files are stored the same way regardless of name. The name is just a way to reference the actual data.
I've tried that. It still knows, some how. I think it reads the file header, which I don't know so much about. If this is the case, is there a way to, given any binary, make it look like it's a text file, and then revert it back to what it was originally? If so, this program would be preferable to my original idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Ramzi posted:

could someone code a program that would open a file of any type and convert it to a .txt file of ASCII garble. Then, take in a .txt file of ASCII garble, and convert it back to what it was?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_to_text_encoding

Usenet would be so boring without it ;)

• Locked thread