Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
This is the first guitar I've built, and I have absolutely no idea how to take a picture of an instrument that doesn't mess up the colors. I'll figure it out by the time I'm finished, and then upload a few better shots. About 150 hours of work in it thus far, but getting really close; should really only need one more clear coat on the body, and the neck is completed, then I'd just have to even out the frets. I imagine I could do it in about half the time this one took if I did the same design over again, as the learning curve is harsh. If anybody's interested, I could detail some of the difficulties I've had, but for now, here's some near-completed shots.

The flash shows which spots I have roughed up on the front. The color in none of the pictures is correct; it's either far too brown, or much too bright a red, depending on the lighting. The color you see in the headstock on the last photo is probably the closest to what the guitar looks like in actuality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

unprofessional posted:

If anybody's interested, I could detail some of the difficulties I've had, but for now, here's some near-completed shots.

I would love to see/hear a step-by-step if it wouldnt be too much trouble, as that thing looks beautiful.

as far as super super recent purchases go, all ive picked up are a set of these:

for my thug bass

but since i just got a new camera, i could take pictures of all the new crap myself and my roommates have picked up over the last couple of months, but those would probably work better in the pyfender thread.

QuantumKat
Jul 16, 2004

Member of the Catspiracy

Yoozer posted:

I'd like the pads of the PadKontrol to be a bit fatter (MPC2000/2500 style) but the fact that they're lit is a huge bonus - muting/unmuting in the dark is really easy that way.

I'd also like if there'd be a note repeat button so it could slave to the host's tempo - x-y roll is not that accurate. Also, a metal base with some weight would've been ace. Other than that, I can recommend the PadKontrol - I did my MPC1000 away because this would be a little bit more capable in combination with Ableton's Impulse.

Yep I think I'm going to go padKontrol over the MPD24. It's actually the same price either way and if I don't like it, I'll just return it within 30 days and exchange it for the MPD24 then from Sweetwater or zzounds...

I'll prolly order mine tomorrow, thanks for the tips :)

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire
Line 6 Variax 300

A little graduation present from myself. I find impossible to put this guitar down, I don't think I've ever enjoyed a new guitar more than this one. :swoon:

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Spartak posted:

Line 6 Variax 300

A little graduation present from myself. I find impossible to put this guitar down, I don't think I've ever enjoyed a new guitar more than this one. :swoon:

The little gleam on the amp is a nice touch ;)

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

unprofessional posted:

This is the first guitar I've built

Did you carve the neck by hand? If so, good job on the volute. It's a very interesting style which you don't often see these days, and it's a giant bitch to do neatly. I dislike the feel of that style and prefer the way I typically carve them (as seen here), but the rounded, extended volute style just has a vintage-cool aesthetic. Good luck finishing it up.

quote:

According to the website its basswood

Apparently so. That's kind of surprising. I assumed it'd be alder, since that's pretty much "the strat wood." Good researching. I just knew that the Koa was a cap/laminate on those guitars.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Just got this off eBay.

Squier Affinity series P-Bass.

Now I have both guitar (Epiphone SG posted earlier in this thread) and bass to learn.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004
i just got a yamaha motif xs8 off ebay

god i cant wait for it to get here

ryblogg
Jun 30, 2005

Spartak posted:

Line 6 Variax 300

Sup red variax buddy?

Did you get a Pod XT Live to go with it? It really opens up the possibilities of this baby...

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Grandpa Pap posted:

Just got this off eBay.

Squier Affinity series P-Bass.

Now I have both guitar (Epiphone SG posted earlier in this thread) and bass to learn.

My brother-in-law has this bass, I was surprised by it; his at least was much higher quality than the squire afinity strat I had back in the day.

Bonar Law
May 7, 2006
I have a large fridge at home and I've been eating a lot of pork chops.

My $100 college graduation present to myself. Best $100 I ever spent, let me tell you. It's a late 70s knockoff copy. Looks convincing, doesn't it? I played it unplugged and said I'd buy it the next day. I figured I would toss in some neat new pickups but...I was kinda shocked at how good the stock pickups were.

pimpology 101
Aug 6, 2006
Pimpin' ain't easy.

Spartak posted:

Line 6 Variax 300

How do you like it? I was thinking of getting one to go with my podxt but I'm not sure. Is it comfortable to play and how is the quality?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Engine Fortegue posted:

My brother-in-law has this bass, I was surprised by it; his at least was much higher quality than the squire afinity strat I had back in the day.

I'm really psyched to get it, I haven't messed around with bass since I was about 19 or so. This time around, I intend to take improving my playing skills a lot more seriously.

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire

ryblogg posted:

Sup red variax buddy?

Did you get a Pod XT Live to go with it? It really opens up the possibilities of this baby...

PodXT Live is the next thing to buy, although probably not for a while as I need to get some more extra cash and raise the limit on my credit card, as it is cheaper for me to import the thing rather than buying it from a store here (difference of about $NZ 300).

pimpology 101 posted:

How do you like it? I was thinking of getting one to go with my podxt but I'm not sure. Is it comfortable to play and how is the quality?

My best advice would be to go to a store and check it out for yourself, I was a little bit on the fence at first but after playing it I was convinced. The body is much thicker and heavier than a strat, but still very comfortable to play sitting down. I have an LTD MH and an Epiphone SG and this thing is by far the heaviest. Strings go through the body which adds some sustain I feel. Scale length is 25.5" and fretboard radius is 12", so it's quite a flat fretboard. The factory action is a little bit high, but not too bad, to adjust the action you have to adjust each individual string, which would be a bitch to do properly (for me anyway!). Overall quality is fine I think, it has a 12 month warranty which is reasuring.

I'm not sure how accurately it captures each tone as I haven't played guitar that long but at the very least there is an audible difference. The twang of a Tele, the bassy bottom end of the Les Paul the chime of the Rickenbacker are all there. What I absolutely LOVE is the ability to go from acoustic to electric at a flick of a switch. Think Bon Jovi's Dead or Alive, you can start playing it on a 12 string model then flick it and play the electric parts all in one go. How cool is that?

Famous Blimp Pilot
Feb 19, 2005

More like por qué pine.
I finally got one of the Squier Vintage Modified Fretless jazz basses and I'm really digging it. When I ordered it Fender accidentally shipped the fretted version and they let me keep it while I waited for the correct bass to come in, and just exchange it. While I had the fretted though I ended up really liking it and I'm buying it back :) I'll post a picture of it when I get it.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

granpa yum posted:

i just got a yamaha motif xs8 off ebay

god i cant wait for it to get here

They're selling these already? They aren't even out for that long.

I hope for your sake the seller didn't have a ludicrously low price and demanded Western Union.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

I'm thinking that my next purchase is gonna be a big one, so I'm thinking of a Sequential Circuits Prophet VS:

PPG Wave 2.x

Or Oberheim Xpander:

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Yoozer posted:

They're selling these already? They aren't even out for that long.

I hope for your sake the seller didn't have a ludicrously low price and demanded Western Union.

ill know within the next few days according to the tracking info.

unless it's an elaborate trick involving a box being filled with 65 pounds of rocks

edit: it came!! this is an awesome board ive been playing it for like 4 hours straight now

granpa yum fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 30, 2007

Arthur
Nov 28, 2005

It's like those miserable psalms, they're so depressing...

Cyne posted:

It is an ambition of mine to one day own one of these, as they just look so drat awesome.

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o

G&L F-100 Series II. Very cool.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

Soon my baby will be here...

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha

vac posted:

That is sweet my friend.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

vac posted:

Is that stock? It's cool regardless, but that control plate looks a little odd (looks like part of a Jazz Bass). I especially like the subtle difference in the headstock from the Strat. Nice that they got as close as they did to it.

I loves me some G&L - second guitar I ever owned (still have it) is a mid-90s ASAT Classic.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

vac posted:

Are those vintage Dimarzio pickups? Super II's perhaps?

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
Looks like humbucking versions of their MFD singlecoils.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Uncle Caveman posted:

Looks like humbucking versions of their MFD singlecoils.

What's going on with the neckjoint here?

▼ Ah, that makes perfect sense. Thanks. :)

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 31, 2007

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
21-fret Tele neck on a 22-fret G&L body.

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o

Walter posted:

Is that stock? It's cool regardless, but that control plate looks a little odd (looks like part of a Jazz Bass). I especially like the subtle difference in the headstock from the Strat. Nice that they got as close as they did to it.

I loves me some G&L - second guitar I ever owned (still have it) is a mid-90s ASAT Classic.

It's stock. Control plate, pickups, etc. The pickups are humbucking MFDs, yes. Fender had a thing for metal control plates. Even some early Stratocasters had them, apparently.
(From Strat-Central.com)

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Just scored a Boss FZ-2 off Craigslist for 40 bucks. This thing is MEAN. Think oceans of sludge, redlining amps, and grinding buzzsaws and you have some idea what it sounds like. Completely nails the Dopethrone tone.

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001

Engine Fortegue posted:

Those pickups look great but I can't think of one loving reason to ever play in drop A ever ever ever ever

He's not the only one. I have the same pickups, weirdly, in a Jackson Kelly as well, tuned in drop A...I loving love the combination, and I use it for the same reason, to play Nile and some other really down tuned death metal.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
Just got picked up my B52 AT-112 today and it sounds pretty god drat good. Has two channels one clean and an overdrive (which can get some nice metal tones). Has reverb and a low resonance control and most importantly a contour control for some metal awesomeness. This is my first tube amp and the thing is wayy loud

I recorded a little jam for fun to see what it sounds like miced. Pretty nice (ignore my little solo, I just wanted to see what it sounds like)

http://www.kerpal.net/metalband/metal%20jam.mp3

Btw I got this from Riven's Bitch if anyone is interested in buying from him. Saved a poo poo load!

Kerpal fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 1, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Mighty Scoop posted:

Just scored a Boss FZ-2 off Craigslist for 40 bucks. This thing is MEAN. Think oceans of sludge, redlining amps, and grinding buzzsaws and you have some idea what it sounds like. Completely nails the Dopethrone tone.

drat man, I listed my BF-3 on Facebook and haven't got any takers, but can't find anything else either!

Lucky!

Edit: poo poo, there's a Fender Strat w/ case & a Peavey Bandit 112 amp included for $350... And I just bought a Telecaster!! If it's a good year I might buy it and re-sell it. gently caress I wish I had money right now!!!!

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 1, 2007

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Kerpal posted:

Just got picked up my B52 AT-112 today and it sounds pretty god drat good. Has two channels one clean and an overdrive (which can get some nice metal tones). Has reverb and a low resonance control and most importantly a contour control for some metal awesomeness. This is my first tube amp and the thing is wayy loud

I recorded a little jam for fun to see what it sounds like miced. Pretty nice (ignore my little solo, I just wanted to see what it sounds like)

http://www.kerpal.net/metalband/metal%20jam.mp3

does that combo have a closed or open back? what speaker?

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
Errr the back is kinda open, it has a holes for a vent but I guess that'd be called closed? The speaker is uhhh *gets manual* it just says "custom built 12" B52 speaker".

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Handen posted:

drat man, I listed my BF-3 on Facebook and haven't got any takers, but can't find anything else either!

Lucky!

Edit: poo poo, there's a Fender Strat w/ case & a Peavey Bandit 112 amp included for $350... And I just bought a Telecaster!! If it's a good year I might buy it and re-sell it. gently caress I wish I had money right now!!!!

It was complete happenstance, too. I was reading a thread on stonerrock.com about the Hyper Fuzz being Electric Wizard in a box, and thought "cool, I'd like to get one of those." Some guy was saying he bought one for $100. Then, I went to craigslist, and lo and behold, there it was. I imagine I could get more than I paid for it, but I like it too much.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

DarkEnigma posted:

He's not the only one. I have the same pickups, weirdly, in a Jackson Kelly as well, tuned in drop A...I loving love the combination, and I use it for the same reason, to play Nile and some other really down tuned death metal.

Heh, good to see another Kelly player. How do you get around the neck heaviness of the guitar? I have to crouch down pretty far when standing up, which usually works well (:rock: ) but it's tiring for long periods.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mighty Scoop posted:

This is a REALLY stupid question, because I know I *should* know it, and I probably already do... I just wanted to confirm...

I don't have a (very good) amp, so I DI right into my audio interface, and straight into Logic, and then mess with the clean tone from there with Amplitube. Would the pedal affect this DI signal at all? My answer is yes, but, knowing my luck, I would think that, go out and buy a pedal, and then not have it work :(

EDIT: Wow, I'm stupid. Of course it would work. I mean, when you plug your guitar into a pedal, then into an amp, at that point, it's still just like DI, right? The difference, after that point, is the fact that the amp is blaring what you're playing, pedal and all.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 1, 2007

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

I've spent so much time clopping to fillies that my joints have locked up!
I just purchased a 15"x14" rack tom and an 18"x16" floor tom. Both Pearl Exports in Wine Red.

Next purchase: a 24x16" Pearl Export bass drum.

I'll post pics when they get here. :)

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden
Kenton Pro-2 dual channel MIDI/CV-converter for controlling my synth with a laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xainlich
Dec 31, 2004
Just got my first kit, a 6-piece Stage Custom Nouveau:

Mine is a Fade Raven Black. Bought it as a shell kit at GC, where a buddy of mine works. $680 total, including a full set of pdp hardware and throne. Just have to wait until next friday to pick up my cymbals and the hardware to mount the 10" tom.