Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Efreet saiid posted:

They said they're going off to buy new equipment.

And ice cream.

Sock posted:

Does "Shout" do some of that weird sonic damage that hurts everything?

A cone that deals 5D6 damage to targets and deafens them for 2D6 rounds, Fort save for 1/2 damage and no deafness.

Greater Shout does 10D6 damage and deafens and stuns targets for 4D6 rounds, Fort save for 1/2 and no deafness or stun.

Against brittle or crystaline objects, they instead do D6 damage per level (up to 10D6 for Shout, or 20D6 for Greater Shout).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

farraday posted:

Tsukiko beat the odds and survived too.

Anyone want to bet how long her good fortune lasts?

Until the next Gate battle (100-150 strips away at this rate), in which she dies.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is Burlew developing a thing for sonic damage?

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

MikeJF posted:

This is exactly the second time anything has dealt or taken sonic damage? :confused:

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax

MikeJF posted:

D&D has a thing for sonic damage, it's a superior attack form because nobody is immune or resistant to it.

Except for the Bentusi, aparently <:rolleyes:v

Efreet saiid fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 30, 2007

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Not that anyone really cares, but has Erfworld still not had it's Saturday update?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Soonmot posted:

Not that anyone really cares, but has Erfworld still not had it's Saturday update?

Nope. Some comics only run by an approximation of their schedule, but Erfworld seems to just use it at the loosest possible guide.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Soonmot posted:

The artist is on honeymoon and the writer got so much flak for the Klog pages he's stopped making them.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
Goblins may be running really slowly, but it sure is keeping up its quota of badass.

CoolCab posted:

The artist is on honeymoon and the writer got so much flak for the Klog pages he's stopped making them.

I actually kind of liked those :(

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
If the hobgoblins rushing Azure City fought like the goblins in Goblins!, there wouldn't even BE a comic for OOTS.

Hell, most 1st level D & D parties would get TPK'd too.

(Not that I mind, Thac0 and Complains are hilarious little death machines.)

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
Big Ears is tearing poo poo up in the recent panels, too. I think they all the have "the person drawing me likes to do awesome detailed combat scenes" feat, wich is even better than toughness in NWN2. They're what, second level last time they mentioned it? Third maybe? Just more proof that low-mid level adventures are way better than uber-level bloat.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Earlier in the thread someone mentioned you could make a cure minor wound wand with infinite charges for really cheap.

Well, I looked it up, and all the rules for creation seem to indicate wands have just 50 charges. I didn't see any rules that allow me to increases the charges up to infinite. Where is that rule located? Because I have an Aaracockra air cleric on Athas right now and if he could make an infinite charge cure minor wounds on the cheap it sure would be excellent.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long.

sakesniper posted:

Forget this gates crap and all these lame PCs, Thog is who the comic should be about :colbert:

If only I could still see the world with the childlike wonderment of Thog.

The ability to totally wreck poo poo is an added bonus.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

greatn posted:

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned you could make a cure minor wound wand with infinite charges for really cheap.

Well, I looked it up, and all the rules for creation seem to indicate wands have just 50 charges. I didn't see any rules that allow me to increases the charges up to infinite. Where is that rule located? Because I have an Aaracockra air cleric on Athas right now and if he could make an infinite charge cure minor wounds on the cheap it sure would be excellent.
Yeah, wands are defined as 50 charges. You need to find the rules for generating new/custom magic items, that includes an option for an infinite-use thing. And you'll problaby need another feat, as I think it'd technically be a Wondrous Item or maybe a Rod.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

Efreet saiid posted:

Big Ears is tearing poo poo up in the recent panels, too. I think they all the have "the person drawing me likes to do awesome detailed combat scenes" feat, wich is even better than toughness in NWN2. They're what, second level last time they mentioned it? Third maybe? Just more proof that low-mid level adventures are way better than uber-level bloat.
Plus, I have NEVER seen a Paladin be more awesome than Big Ears. I really like how he's given definition and (ironically) humanity to a character type that tends to be mired in bullshit stereotypes. As much as I love OOTS, none of the Azure City pallies are even close.

The Wondersaurus
Jun 28, 2005
The Wondersaurus is probably extinct, like most dinosaurs

Soonmot posted:

It just posted. Not that anyone gives a poo poo.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

CoolCab posted:

I'm always amazed when someone reminds me that Erfworld is a two-man strip. Usually when you've got a second person to bounce ideas off, the really retarded ones get caught and edited away. How dumb must unedited Erfworld be? What happens when the artist pulls a Largo and disappears leaving the writer to fully indulge his every crazy whim?

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
Well i'd assume without an artist nothing would get drawn. Either way I think colaberation carries it's own risks of developing stupid ideas. It may be the strip is the result of two competing creative visions, or rather two competing creative mirages, the type where you dive into the pond and start drinking but you find yourself eating sand in a dry lake bed and bugs bunny is laughing at you from a nearby dune.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

greatn posted:

Everwands. Originally Eberron-only, now in the Magic Item Compendium.

Harl37
Oct 13, 2005

So very tired.

greatn posted:

^^^^^^^^:argh:
The Eberron Campaign Setting has some rules for eternal wands. However it's limited to arcane spells 3rd level and lower, and special Eberron only materials. Also, you can only use the wand twice a day.

Harl37 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 30, 2007

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
This new strip made no sense at all. Is it even related to the story?

I think I'm going to stop reading Erfworld. I think I'll go back and read through it again once "Battle for Gobwin Knob" is done and maybe it'll make more sense when everything is together and we don't have to wait a week in between updates.

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

this debate lacks any sexual intrigue so I am not even paying attention

Brannock posted:

This new strip made no sense at all. Is it even related to the story?

I think I'm going to stop reading Erfworld. I think I'll go back and read through it again once "Battle for Gobwin Knob" is done and maybe it'll make more sense when everything is together and we don't have to wait a week in between updates.

Ansom's main squeeze is rejoining with her army and she wants to go provide air support for a column instead of following Ansom's battle plan of staying put and fighting with her current unit, possibly in order to somehow further Wanda's agenda. Meanwhile, we see Parson's plan being executed as the dragons attack the siege towers. It's not gripping, but I get what's going on without needing to go back and read it or anything.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

greatn posted:

Just looked it up in the SRD- it's here. you may have missed it as it's the small text below one of the tables. Infinite charge wands cost double that of a normal wand, and for unlimited use items you don't need caster skills for check Use Activated/Continuous. These rules are horribly easy to twink though (constant effect shield- 8k for +4 Shield bonus to AC for example, breaks monks/rangers, and using +1 attribute items to top off odd stats is a bit cheap).

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It's stuff like that which is why I hate being able to buy magic items on the open market.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

:siren:New Comic is Up!:siren:

On time even.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
Hmm, was kinda hoping they were undead and a Rebuke Undead would put them under Redcloak's command. At least there's still chance Tsukikko will burst in after they're done and start yelling to Xykon how Redcloak tried to kill her. Xykon and Redcloak can share a laugh and then blast her with their magic. True buddy movie style.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Wow, Soon's own ghost may make this a close battle. I felt for sure we were going to see a total victory for Xykon here, but maybe they'll actually destroy or protect the gate.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Hm, "Goddamnit"...which God do you think Xykon means?

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
For when it undoubtedly goes down:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

"Neither do I. I wasn't actually paying attention when I did it." Friggin :iceburn: , I love it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
If the "who's on first?" joke is never, ever, ever brought up pop culture ever again, it will still have been put to rest about 50 years after it should have died. This is not even the first time he has used it, is it?

Granted, it seems to be almost a kind of a meta-joke-joke by this point, so this particular usage does not really irritate me.

I did not expect the battle to be even close to this remotely evenly-matched, either. Maybe Soon will collapse the castle on Xykon and Redcloak and it will take a few weeks to find out what happened?

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Quarex posted:

If the "who's on first?" joke is never, ever, ever brought up pop culture ever again, it will still have been put to rest about 50 years after it should have died. This is not even the first time he has used it, is it?

Granted, it seems to be almost a kind of a meta-joke-joke by this point, so this particular usage does not really irritate me.

That joke will never stop making me laugh.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Spikey posted:

Hmm, was kinda hoping they were undead and a Rebuke Undead would put them under Redcloak's command. At least there's still chance Tsukikko will burst in after they're done and start yelling to Xykon how Redcloak tried to kill her. Xykon and Redcloak can share a laugh and then blast her with their magic. True buddy movie style.

Actually, those Paladin spirits would be Deathless, so Redcloak's turn worked properly. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go buy a pocket protector and a slide ruler to be properly equipped for the level of Nerd I just hit by knowing that.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax

RentACop posted:

"Neither do I. I wasn't actually paying attention when I did it." Friggin :iceburn: , I love it.
Unfortunatly smite evil is the ultimate comeback.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

greatn posted:

Cure Light Wounds wands are the most cost effective. :10bux:

You could make a magic item that would have infinite charges. The DMG has rules for use-activated/continuous effect magic items.

A wand is Spell Level x Caster Level x 750gp. Cure Light Wounds is a 1st level cleric spell, castable by 1st level clerics (all magic items are assumed to be at the lowest caster level) so the cost is 750gp. To create it yourself, you pay half the gp cost and 1/25 the cost in XP (375gp and 30xp).

To make a use-activated item (not necessarily in wand form) it's Spell Level x Caster Level x 2000gp. Pretty drat cost effective for infinite Cure Lights for after combat. 2000gp to buy it in a shop (but unlikely to be available, thanks to good old fashioned capitalism). 1000gp and 80xp to craft it yourself, provided you have Craft Wondrous Item.

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 31, 2007

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Xykon really should have been dead by now. It doesn't make much sense that spellcaster would survive in a room full of paladins he doesn't even know how to hurt for any length of time.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Vicissitude posted:

Cure Light Wounds wands are the most cost effective. :10bux:

You could make a magic item that would have infinite charges. The DMG has rules for use-activated/continuous effect magic items.

A wand is Spell Level x Caster Level x 750gp. Cure Light Wounds is a 1st level cleric spell, castable by 1st level clerics (all magic items are assumed to be at the lowest caster level) so the cost is 750gp. To create it yourself, you pay half the gp cost and 1/25 the cost in XP (375gp and 30xp).

To make a use-activated item (not necessarily in wand form) it's Spell Level x Caster Level x 2000gp. Pretty drat cost effective for infinite Cure Lights for after combat. 2000gp to buy it in a shop (but unlikely to be available, thanks to good old fashioned capitalism). 1000gp and 80xp to craft it yourself, provided you have Craft Wondrous Item.

Likelihood of ever getting that much scratch on Athas is pretty low for a bird-man cleric though. The cure minor is much more affordable and does the same job, only slower. 1000 cp(ceramic pieces = gold pieces except for metal items), if I had that much, I'd buy a house and retire.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

greatn posted:

Xykon really should have been dead by now. It doesn't make much sense that spellcaster would survive in a room full of paladins he doesn't even know how to hurt for any length of time.

Depends on what level he is and what defensive spells he knows. And how do we know he doesn't know how to hurt them? I thought the last time we saw him he was just being attacked, I don't recall that he was confused about how to hurt them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

High Altitude Hair Stylist posted:

Depends on what level he is and what defensive spells he knows. And how do we know he doesn't know how to hurt them? I thought the last time we saw him he was just being attacked, I don't recall that he was confused about how to hurt them.

Well, he didn't, going by today's strip. He was using fireballs and lightning bolts in the comic with 50% miss chance, Redcloak had to tell him why those don't work, and had to tell him which spells would work against the foes.

With flying creatures, 17 should be able to attack him at once(8 around him, and a 3 by 3 square right above him). All 8 on bottom would have flanking bonuses. All of them have smite evil. He's a sorcerer with sorcerer AC and doesn't it take a monster concentration check to cast spells when you're taking damage? All of these were mid-level Paladins too. Even a lich shouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell against those kind of odds.

Here's an idea. Isn't Roy's dad still in that chamber? He retains his spellcasting powers, right? Wonder if any of his illusions could come into play, or if any of his illusions are already IN play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

greatn posted:

He's undead, with like twenty d12 hit dice, so really he's just as durable as a death knight would have been in his place. I mean, sure, his AC could be better, but most of the paladin ghosts in that room are the ghosts of like level seven or eight characters.