Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

Something to screw around with while I wait for my EBMM Axis to arrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dephconn
Oct 10, 2003
I made a little drum machine out of a kids toy that had really good drum sounds:

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"
I'm building a studio in my apartment for composition purposes! These purchases will happen over the course of the next 2 years.

MOTU 8pre Audio Interface

Apple Mac Pro

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

god this thing is sexy. I used to hate epiphones but lately I've been collecting them. :iiam:

gregday
May 23, 2003

LOO posted:

Something to screw around with while I wait for my EBMM Axis to arrive.

Gorgeous. I'm not a huge fan of the strat design, and maybe it's just the photo, but this looks great.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Found it at a Guitar Center for around $80.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 4, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Just got these pictures from Chris Stambaugh. He should be finishing it up and sending it out by the end of the week! :fap:

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 4, 2007

gregday
May 23, 2003

Just got it. My God, it's full of stars.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

warwick5s posted:

Just got these pictures from Chris Stambaugh. He should be finishing it up and sending it out by the end of the week! :fap:

That's gonna be so gorgeous when it's done.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Well hello there

It's so dirty.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Should arrive within the next month or so. It's a 1975 Alembic Series I, owned in a past life by fusion trumpeter Donald Byrd.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

bisticles posted:

Well hello there

It's so dirty.
Out of curiosity, how do those compare to a regular Muff?

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001

Concatenation posted:

Heh, good to see another Kelly player. How do you get around the neck heaviness of the guitar? I have to crouch down pretty far when standing up, which usually works well (:rock: ) but it's tiring for long periods.

I had that problem when I had a cheapy strap...but I bought a thick and wide leather strap which doesn't slip or slide, and can actually keep the Kelly in place despite it's neck weight. I hold it up pretty high too.

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite

82Daion posted:

Should arrive within the next month or so. It's a 1975 Alembic Series I, owned in a past life by fusion trumpeter Donald Byrd.

That is a beautiful bass. I can't believe someone would disrespect it by stringing it so poorly.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Tehdude posted:

Out of curiosity, how do those compare to a regular Muff?

I haven't played on a Big Muff lately, but it's got the same feel. The guys over at harmony central are saying that's it's gainier and louder, but who knows. Either way, no complaints here.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

82Daion posted:

Holy poo poo :supaburn:

On an excitement scale of 1-10 are you at 27?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

External Organs posted:

Holy poo poo :supaburn:

On an excitement scale of 1-10 are you at 27?

I'm somewhere close to that figure, yes. :3:

I've been waiting to get one of these since I started playing-things came together just right for this one. I have to sell a tuba and another bass before I can buy it, but the seller's holding it for me, so I should have it in my hands fairly soon. :awesome:

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha
That is a rad bass my friend.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

82Daion posted:

Oh my god, how much is that setting you back?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Handen posted:

Oh my god, how much is that setting you back?

If you have to ask...;)

Figure a number between $3K and $4K.

The price will be totally offset by the sale of my tuba, however, so it's not that bad...I'm a bassist through and through, now, and my horn doesn't see any playing time.

SUSE Creamcheese fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 6, 2007

Jesus Rocket
Apr 25, 2003

Sorry for the blurry picture. Bought this old keyboard at a thrift store for $8. I probably got ripped off, but I was really interested in the little drumpad attachment thingy. It can be pretty fun to mess around with. It didn't have an output jack so I opened it up and attached a 1/4" cable to the wires that were going to the speaker. I'll probably try to circut bend it this super.

Super old and worn out harmonium that still works perfect and sounds amazing. Incredibly, I only paid $48 for it at the swap meet. I could hardly believe the price since the cheapest other ones I've seen (locally) have been around $150. I love this thing.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Jesus Rocket posted:

Sorry for the blurry picture. Bought this old keyboard at a thrift store for $8. I probably got ripped off, but I was really interested in the little drumpad attachment thingy. It can be pretty fun to mess around with. It didn't have an output jack so I opened it up and attached a 1/4" cable to the wires that were going to the speaker. I'll probably try to circut bend it this super.

Super old and worn out harmonium that still works perfect and sounds amazing. Incredibly, I only paid $48 for it at the swap meet. I could hardly believe the price since the cheapest other ones I've seen (locally) have been around $150. I love this thing.

Please please PLEASE post a clip of you playing that harmonium, they're so incredible and I'm so jealous of you for finding one that cheap

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

bisticles posted:

Well hello there

It's so dirty.

I don't have many pedals - went with a rack setup - but I have one of these, and man is that thing ever gritty.

82Daion posted:

That thing's gorgeous. Alembics aren't my favorite basses in the world - they seem too much like fine art, I find myself feeling like I shouldn't play them.

My little brother has one, though, and they're just kick rear end. I've played it a few times, and simply have not figured out why he seems to prefer his Ken Smith fretless to it.

Walter fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 7, 2007

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
I made a very large batch of purchases a while back, because I needed a complete studio upgrade. Here are the results.

BLUE Mouse:

Roland TD6-V

Uhh...

My mobile rack, including Macbook Pro, Epogee Ensemble, and TC Electronics Powercore Firewire

The new guitars are the PRS's.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Just picked up an M-Audio Keystation 88es, and goddamn is this thing ever huge.

And the other guitars, a Dean Exotica, a pawnshop special (first guitar) an '83 fender bullet, and a PRSCE22

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

The Gasmask posted:

The new guitars are the PRS's.

Welcome to the club! :hfive:

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

I've spent so much time clopping to fillies that my joints have locked up!
I really wish I could find my camera cable :-/

My toms I ordered came in today! Yay! A 15x14 Pearl Export rack tom and an 18x16 floor tom.

Really awesome stuff. I was kinda worried that the 15" tom would only have 6 lugs per side because I've seen picture of the 14" Pearl Export tom, and they're generally 6 lugs per side. Imagine my relief when it had 8 per side! Yay!

Anyway, the Pearl Protone (or whatever) stock heads are crap, as would be expected, but man I've had fun playing on them. I tuned them up so that the 15" is roughly the same pitch as my 12" was, and the 18" roughly where my 16 was. I'm really enjoying the extra rebound tuning them higher provides.

The only problem I had was with the placement of the 15" rack tom, since it's enormously big (especially depth-wise as I went from an 8" depth tom to a 14") but I got it setup just perfectly and yay I'm one step closer to my dream set!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

The Gasmask posted:

My mobile rack, including Macbook Pro, Epogee Ensemble, and TC Electronics Powercore Firewire

Wow, this looks really cool. Could you explain your setup a little bit? I'm looking to set up a home studio based around a macbook pro but I'm not sure where to start exactly.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Handen posted:

Wow, this looks really cool. Could you explain your setup a little bit? I'm looking to set up a home studio based around a macbook pro but I'm not sure where to start exactly.

I started off with the base Macbook Pro and brought it up to 2GB RAM.
Next step was getting software. I chose to go with Ableton Live and Logic Pro.
I then went out and got the following: A firewire I/O converter(Ensemble), one of the better Furman power conditioners, the Powercore for mixing, and a Gator 4 space rack.

You can get slide out trays for the rack, get velcro, put it on the laptop and rack, and have a setup you can bring anywhere with the laptop set in the rack.

I recommend getting RME converters, as the Apogee has beta drivers. In fact, this is the #1 problem with Intel Macs: Compatibility. Companies need to recode drivers, and so far only my RME Fireface 800 has worked without locking up every 30 minutes.

EDIT: I run the video output into an external 23" widescreen LG monitor, use the Belkin Mediadesk wireless keyboard, and run the Apogee into Blue Sky Prodesk 2.1 speakers.

This way I can have it set up in one location, and just detatch the mac, put it in the rack, and then I've got a mobile studio!

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 7, 2007

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
I ordered one of these the other day:

An EWI!(Electronic Wind Instrument) It's a wind controlled synth with the fingerings of a saxophone, my primary instrument.

It should come in the next couple minutes!

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

Alucardd posted:

An EWI!(Electronic Wind Instrument) It's a wind controlled synth with the fingerings of a saxophone, my primary instrument.

Please be sure to post an update once you get this, I've always been really curious about wind-based synths and wind controlled midi controllers

Vannaroth
Aug 5, 2005
I'll see you on the darkside of the moon
My 2 most recent purchases:

More cowbell, anyone?

But more significantly/seriously:

kamapuaa
May 12, 2007
Bulbous, yet agile.
I picked this up a week or two ago:

Gretsch Electromatic G5120. As soon as I made the mistake of playing it, I knew that it had to come home with me.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

kamapuaa posted:

You chose... wisely. :hist101:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

kamapuaa posted:

Gretsch Electromatic G5120. As soon as I made the mistake of playing it, I knew that it had to come home with me.
Beautiful! Also I see an Epiphone Sheraton in the back, another nice choice (and my main axe) :waycool:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

kamapuaa posted:

I love Gretsch's thumbnail inlay.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Where can I buy a top-loading Telecaster bridge plate with humbucker route? Is it possible to find this with a mini humbucker route? Or are there top loading Tele bridge plates with no pickup slot, a blank, so that I can cut my own mini humbucker slot?

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

Floating in much the same way that bricks don't.

Alucardd posted:

One of my old bands jammed with a guy who was a pro with one of these. Once you learn how to really work it, you can do crazy poo poo with it.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-15-Modeling-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482276

probably tomorrow too, from the Guitar Center across the street from me. They have a few of them there for $99 - played one today. Salesman was pushy as all hell. Caught me messing around with a Dean Vendetta XM and winked, saying "pickin' up a guitar to go with that amp too, eh?"

Well gently caress him, because I liked that Vendetta too, and after looking into it I might consider dropping the $99 for one (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/product/reviews/base_pid=512150/rpp=10/) unless anyone here knows a reason I shouldn't.

One of my friends is starting on guitar as well and is thinking about buying a Vendetta XM as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mugendai
Oct 23, 2002

You realize, of
course, that that
will not kill him

Alucardd posted:

That looks cool. How good are those at replicating actual instrument sounds? I figure you can do all sorts of awesome synthy stuff with them, but if they can do a fairly good replication of actual saxophone sounds with the right software, that could be really usefull for me.