Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

Hey, anyone else thinks it's funny that Belkar mocks Elan for taking bard levels, when Belkar's a hilariously badly-made character?
I've always just assumed that Belkar's player chose a variant Ranger class that didn't have any skills except Hide and Move Silent, and no Animal Companion. However, his variant Ranger class does include Favored Enemy (all).
Edit: And before anyone chimes in saying he's really a Rogue, he's capable of casting Ranger spells under the effect of an Owl's Wisdom, and has attempted Wild Empathy checks in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
We interrupt this alignment debate with a :siren: new strip :siren:

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.
Well, there goes the castle. Although if O'Chul wasn't blown up into chunks, there's a chance Miko wasn't either.

Sock fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 9, 2007

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
This is the best tea party ever!

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

DaveWoo posted:

We interrupt this alignment debate with a :siren: new strip :siren:

Oh god I hope Miko dies. I hope she dies HARD.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Zoolooman posted:

This is the best tea party ever!

Well apparently gates DO explode when they are destroyed :monocle:

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

man you'd think somebody would be making an effort to get all these freaking rifts sealed back up, non-interference agreement or no.

JoeSchmoe
Jul 17, 2003

I believe the explanation is that the gods can fix the rifts, but to do so involves unmaking the world.

(I was bored last night and went on a trip through the archives)

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
I wanted the gate not to blow to see if Soon could finally convey to Miko that she isn't destined or anything but is just crazy, but the chance of her finally dieing forever is nice too. It's win win for everybody!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The new strip is up, you guys.

Factor_VIII posted:

This has already been discussed in this thread; the explosion was the mechanism used to destroy that specific gate. Gates don't explode when they are destroyed.

Don't you feel silly now!

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

sakesniper posted:

I wanted the gate not to blow to see if Soon could finally convey to Miko that she isn't destined or anything but is just crazy, but the chance of her finally dieing forever is nice too. It's win win for everybody!

I'm putting no hope in Miko being dead until I see the X's of her eyes.

I really didn't think the gate would explode either. Hmmm I wonder what happened at Lirian's gate.

Oh well, looking forward to how they'll wrap this up.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

JoeSchmoe posted:

I believe the explanation is that the gods can fix the rifts, but to do so involves unmaking the world.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html "and while they never found a way to remove the rifts entirely, they did develop means to seal them up."

...the means being these gates that keep getting blown up and not replaced.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
If you blow up ( :v: ) the first panel, you can totally see a tiny little Xykon and Redcloack flying away.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Factor_VIII posted:

Dragon died? I'm a bit sorry to hear that; I sort of expected that it would keep getting published for as long as D&D was around, considering it's almost as old as the game itself.

This has already been discussed in this thread; the explosion was the mechanism used to destroy that specific gate. Gates don't explode when they are destroyed.

Yep, that turned out to be not at all correct.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JoeSchmoe posted:

Yeah, but there's no reason, and this always bugged me, why they aren't making every effort and casting all the rolls and divine favour for the team that's trying to save the gates and keep sealed the god killing monster.

I suppose they'd have to be fairly certain that they can remake the world and the Snarl's prison quickly enough should it all come down that they themselves aren't in any particular danger, so they can sit back and be aloof and 'it's up to the mortals to save themselves lah dee dah crumpets?'

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'm hoping that O-Chul is still alive based on his eyes. I don't think the thing under the umbrella would be callous enough to finish him off.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

MikeJF posted:

I suppose they'd have to be fairly certain that they can remake the world and the Snarl's prison quickly enough should it all come down that they themselves aren't in any particular danger, so they can sit back and be aloof and 'it's up to the mortals to save themselves lah dee dah crumpets?'
That's pretty D&Dish, though. They put in the effort by giving a chunk of their divine power to clerics and paladins. If the Gods directly intervened in real-world matters on a regular basis, there'd be no need for parties of adventurers to do anything.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, but there's no reason, and this always bugged me, why they aren't making every effort and casting all the rolls and divine favour for the team that's trying to save the gates and keep sealed the god killing monster.

My theory is that the holes in the Snarl's prison were caused by the minor disagreements the Gods had while weaving the second world. note the small rift caused in Azure city where there are ninjas and the known disputation over what roll elves have with a corresponding rift in the elven lands.

Following that theory any attempt to reweave the world would leave them at the mercy of the same sorts of disagreements, perhaps even worse now that there are more gods, which would weaken the fabric. Far better then to hold the world as it is and find ways to put locks on the holes rather then risk trying to do the whole thing over again, even ignoring that there's a chance the snarl would kill them before they could recage it.

In unrelated news I hope is we see the return of Baron Pineapple.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Archyduke posted:

I'm hoping that O-Chul is still alive based on his eyes. I don't think the thing under the umbrella would be callous enough to finish him off.

I thought about that and realized that he's still paralyzed, so maybe he's just unable to go all X_X until paralysis is removed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FMguru posted:

That's pretty D&Dish, though. They put in the effort by giving a chunk of their divine power to clerics and paladins. If the Gods directly intervened in real-world matters on a regular basis, there'd be no need for parties of adventurers to do anything.

Yeah, I'm not saying I'd expect them to intervene all the time, but I'm surprised they're not making an exception for the people trying to secure the bloody Snarl.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

sakesniper posted:

In that she has evasion, she probably didn't even take damage from the explosion. On the other hand, Soon is incorporeal, so he may still have the chance to explain to her what an idiot she is.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The art in that first panel is pretty god drat awesome, and I totally missed Xykon and Redcloak flying away the first time I looked at it I was so mesmerized by all the explodiness.

In other news, I see Belkar still has his skull of fear and flame, and I really hope Elan leads the Order for a short while based on his and Haley's plan.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
Does this mean O'Chul will have to thank umbrella monster for "the lovely tea party"?

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
That's a pretty nice boom. I assume Miko survived, and i'm wondering about o-chul and roy because their bodies are both helpless without aid. Despite how many people are around, I think it would be cool if a new group was introduced, like actual good guys, coming to the aid of the city, collecting roy and ochul along the way- that seems unlikely however.

While these strips seem to be coming fast, they're not fast enough for me, I really want to see what happens next, and in particular what kind of status quo results from the outcome of the battle. I'm worried that along-dead roy might end up as the kind of prolonged sidetrack that is notorious in webcomics, especially since they've already been on one for so long.

Now, back to the main event:

Ferrinus posted:

It's not complex at all to say that alignment is a matter of basic beliefs and intentions rather than a matter of beliefs admixtured in some bizarre way with past actions.
Somebody is the result of who they are and what they've done. Ignoring what they've done is absurd. Especially for them!

quote:

The only way actions matter to alignment is in the sense that they reveal your character's beliefs and intentions. But not every character acts in the way he would philosophically prefer himself to act 100% of the time!
That's your logic, not mine. My logic is, actions matter.

quote:

Homocide would probably mean killing you specifically and that's not evil at all :owned:
Do we have to take this to helldump? Oh, i'll do it, don't think I won't! And I am in good there, you better realise!

. . . of course, it would only take one terrifying reversal of fortune to see my high status utterly destroyed. Yes, they are fickle, always looking for weakness. . .

Very well! I shall not make a helldump thread about you if your promise not to try and kill me. Shall we call this a gentleman's agreement?

quote:

But Miko was a valid paladin right up until the point when she wasn't, buddy. She just wasn't a very good (good in the sense of well-suited for her stated purpose) one.
She was what 10th level of higher she should have been long fallen. At the very least you must admit she was set up for a fall.

quote:

You deny what I'm saying but then you support it in the same breath.
No because i'm not denying beliefs and such matter, it's just not the only thing that matters.

quote:

Obviously the guy who killed his friend in a fit of rage and isn't willing to mentally confront himself about it is "struggling", and of course he's LG with a big fat spotlight issue looming in his dark and retarded past. But he's not not-Good until he actually decides that killing people for some reason other than self-defense/defense of innocents is okay.
He's already decided that, unless he admits that what he did was not ok.

quote:

Of course you're not going to, because there aren't any rules in it about the DM forcibly changing a player's alignment. The whole idea is probably an artifact of earlier editions when DMs were supposed to micromanage their players more.
Oh please. I'm feeling pity now. You know what? I'm going to go get you a blanky and some warm milk, because it's clear you just can't handle the harsh realities of the world and are mere moments from an emotional breakdown. Yes Ferrinus, your DM gets to change your character's alignment. If they don't do it when they should, it's because they're a loving pussy.

Gumby posted:

Not quite. Dragon and Dungeon have been published by a third-party publisher (Paizo Publishing) for a few years now. Wizards wanted to make their web site a one-stop place for all things D&D, so they yanked the license to publish Dragon and Dungeon from the people who had it. Wizards will soon unveil something called a "Digital Initiative," that's their updated D&D website.

This kind of sucks, because Dungeon has been running some very well-received maxi-campaigns, and now the publisher won't be able to publish any more under the Dungeon title.
They're continuing thir adventure path under the "Pathfinder" imprint. It looks promising.

I agree that the move is a bad one though, I mean I can walk into a newsangency in a hick-town in queensland and find a copy of the dungeons and dragons magazines, that is not the kind of exposure you want to lose.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Ferrinus posted:

Don't you feel silly now!
That was the consensus here, so at least I wasn't alone in my mistake. :)

Sefer posted:

In that she has evasion, she probably didn't even take damage from the explosion. On the other hand, Soon is incorporeal, so he may still have the chance to explain to her what an idiot she is.
Couldn't the ghost paladins only appear withing the throne room? Since there no longer is a throne room, he may have been sent back to the outer planes.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Unfortunately the concussive force of the explosion is probably a force effect, and thus would effect an ethereal creature like Soon just fine, but likely allowed a reflex save, meaning that Miko is completely unharmed.

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jun 9, 2007

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Efreet saiid posted:

Somebody is the result of who they are and what they've done. Ignoring what they've done is absurd. Especially for them!

You know, even the language you use here is pretty much a statement of their point. "Somebody" is the result of who they are and what they've done" - a character's past actions only have bearing on that character's alignment because, usually, someone's actions will have an effect on their psyche!

quote:

She was what 10th level of higher she should have been long fallen. At the very least you must admit she was set up for a fall.

Of course - the personality Burlew gave her meant she was in danger of committing a My Best Friend's In Bed With My Wife, Die! style evil act at any moment, and this is in fact what she did. But while she was a little ball of autocratic fury the whole time, she was still Lawful Good. I wouldn't call her Lawful Good now purely because it's obvious that she's never going to subject what she believes the will of the gods is to any kind of moral scrutiny ("Okay, the gods want me to kill everybody here, but maybe I shouldn't do it?").

quote:

No because i'm not denying beliefs and such matter, it's just not the only thing that matters.

He's already decided that, unless he admits that what he did was not ok.

See, here we are again. You're saying that if a character who killed his best friend doesn't admit it wasn't okay, he can't be Good, while if he does he can. The deciding factor isn't whether he committed a murder, it's how he feels about that murder and what his overall stance on murder is.

quote:

Oh please. I'm feeling pity now. You know what? I'm going to go get you a blanky and some warm milk, because it's clear you just can't handle the harsh realities of the world and are mere moments from an emotional breakdown. Yes Ferrinus, your DM gets to change your character's alignment. If they don't do it when they should, it's because they're a loving pussy.

Look, I mean that in the sense that a DM doesn't get to dictate a character's thoughts, and someone's alignment is a function of their thoughts. If I tell a DM that my Good character feels heart-wrenching regret about his crime of passion, then that's enough for him to stay Good. If I say I feel heart-wrenching regret but keep saying things like "I draw my broadsword and hack the merchant in twain for the high prices he's charging me", then my alignment probably gets changed on the basis that I am clearly lying about my character's thoughts, not on the basis that the raw act of stabbing someone changes my alignment in and of itself.

Factor_VIII posted:

That was the consensus here, so at least I wasn't alone in my mistake. :)

I actually thought the same thing you did, your post just happened to be on my screen when I checked the strip in another window and saw the gigantic explosion in the first panel. :xd:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

UberJew posted:

Unfortunately the concussive force of the explosion is probably a force effect, and thus would effect an ethereal creature like Soon just fine, but likely allowed a reflex save, meaning that Miko is completely unharmed.

loving Monk Evasion. :mad:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

UberJew posted:

The explosion might not hurt her, but how about the disintegration of the building she's currently in? Even if we ignore debris, she's in for a bit of a fall.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MikeJF posted:

The explosion might not hurt her, but how about the disintegration of the building she's currently in? Even if we ignore debris, she's in for a bit of a fall.

Monks have Slow Fall.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

bgaesop posted:

Monks have Slow Fall.

They have to be touching a wall to use it, though. I'm not sure if segments of wall falling at the same rate as the monk counts.

Despite the simplicity, I have to agree with others and say that is a cool looking explosion.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

FMguru posted:

If you blow up ( :v: ) the first panel, you can totally see a tiny little Xykon and Redcloack flying away.

It *looks* like there's something else being blown away to the upper left corner as well, maybe Miko?

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Taerkar posted:

It *looks* like there's something else being blown away to the upper left corner as well, maybe Miko?
Nope; that's just a piece of debris.

On the other hand, we didn't see O-Chul in the "explosion" panel, and we know he made it out even though he was about as close as Miko was.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Vomax posted:

They have to be touching a wall to use it, though. I'm not sure if segments of wall falling at the same rate as the monk counts.

She was at full HP. Even 20d6 probably wouldn't do her in. Besides it was probably way less than 200 feet up. That's something like 16 stories, which is ridiculously huge for any sort of castle. Probably eight floors at most, for 10-12d6 of falling damage. No problem with all her levels of meatshield.

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 10, 2007

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It wouldn't serve the dramatic narrative to have her die at this juncture. Rules be damned, she's still alive.

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

this debate lacks any sexual intrigue so I am not even paying attention

Lurdiak posted:

It wouldn't serve the dramatic narrative to have her die at this juncture. Rules be damned, she's still alive.

Actually, having Roy and Miko meet up somehow in the afterlife could be interesting...

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
I could see her dying from the explosion but then having the sheer gumption necessary to come back as some sort of OotS- and god-hating undead thing.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

She could always be blown directly into the Snarl's dimension and then come back out as some kind of Snarl-empowered godkiller thing.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Maybe you should take it to another thread, Ferrinus and happyelf. I mean drat. I think your argument has heated up too much and gone beyond "useful, substantive discussion much needed in a webcomic thread" to "nitpicking and arguing for its own sake." Or hey, take a voluntary probation and don't say another word for a few days. For all you know Durkon will cast "Know Alignment" on her next strip and somebody's just going to feel dumb. More likely that somebody will go on a rant about how wrong BURLEW is, but I can hope.

And what the hell, four or five people from the last few pages talking about OoTS starting to suck? What the hell? If your hours of careful analysis have indeed revealed to you that the strip is gearing up for the old shark-jump, how about feeling smug in private and not bringing crap into a happy place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
Thanks, SuperKlaus. I've been skipping their stupid argument after the first page or so, but it still bugs me.

And OotS is still one of the best webcomics out there.