Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
#1 of 50. Now the hard part, waiting six months for it to get here.

poxin fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 9, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

If I had $20 right now, I'd probably put it towards one of my many bills that I have yet to pay.
Holy poo poo that is a beautiful guitar. I love Parkers, they play great!

If you don't mind me asking, how much is that bad boy setting you back?

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
Roland Micro Cube:

I've heard nothing but good things so I went ahead and got a new one off ebay for cheap. I can't wait!

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Drazzy posted:

Holy poo poo that is a beautiful guitar. I love Parkers, they play great!

If you don't mind me asking, how much is that bad boy setting you back?

If memory serves me, they cost $5000 about. I seriously considered buying one of them, since I want a Parker Deluxe (I already have a Fly Mojo, and the two have very different tones) but decided against it. They're badass to the max, though.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

PoorPeteBest posted:

Roland Micro Cube:

I've heard nothing but good things so I went ahead and got a new one off ebay for cheap. I can't wait!

Good man. I have one and they're great.

Ghostpilots
Sep 24, 2004

Vigilant Sidekick
A week ago I picked a G&L L-2000 bass from eBay. It arrived yesterday:
(click for big, dipshit)

The pictures really don't do justice to how wonderful the finish actually looks- I loving love this bass :D

It's a custom shop job, with the swamp ash body and a Jazz-style neck, in addition to the absolutely insane tonal variety. I seriously have never been more happy with an instrument than I am with this one.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Hey guys, I might be buying an electronic drum set soon. Anyone know of any good electronic drum sets that do metal well? I'm not afraid to dig deep into the wallet, as long as it isn't ungodly exorbitant (like over 2k-3k).

El Bi Ranchero
Feb 8, 2007

by Fistgrrl

The Dark Wind posted:

Hey guys, I might be buying an electronic drum set soon. Anyone know of any good electronic drum sets that do metal well? I'm not afraid to dig deep into the wallet, as long as it isn't ungodly exorbitant (like over 2k-3k).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_V-Drums

these feel as real as any electronic drumset but you still get that triggered double bass sound that they use in metal (along with various other drum sounds). If I'm not mistaken you can also load your own samples and use them as triggers.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

poxin posted:

#1 of 50. Now the hard part, waiting six months for it to get here.

:swoon: Parkers give me such a giant guitar boner, please treat her well and tell her you love her every day :unsmith:

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

El Bi Ranchero posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_V-Drums

these feel as real as any electronic drumset but you still get that triggered double bass sound that they use in metal (along with various other drum sounds). If I'm not mistaken you can also load your own samples and use them as triggers.

Can you link any specific models you'd recommend on a website like, say, musiciansfriend.com? Or are all of them more or less good and reliable?

El Bi Ranchero
Feb 8, 2007

by Fistgrrl

The Dark Wind posted:

Can you link any specific models you'd recommend on a website like, say, musiciansfriend.com? Or are all of them more or less good and reliable?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-TD6SXT-VTOUR-Series-Electronic-Drum-Set?sku=449888

its expensive and there are models that range are less expensive on the site but this has the same rating as the 6k dollar model so..

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

El Bi Ranchero posted:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-TD6SXT-VTOUR-Series-Electronic-Drum-Set?sku=449888

its expensive and there are models that range are less expensive on the site but this has the same rating as the 6k dollar model so..

Thanks! Also, how would I go about setting up another bass drum?

El Bi Ranchero
Feb 8, 2007

by Fistgrrl

The Dark Wind posted:

Thanks! Also, how would I go about setting up another bass drum?

you wouldnt. Just buy a double bass pedal and use the one bass drum trigger.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Ghostpilots posted:

A week ago I picked a G&L L-2000 bass from eBay. It arrived yesterday:
Looks great, I'm seriously considering getting rid of my Stingray HH for one of these. I know there's a huge variety of settings for the pickups, can you get a decent P-bass or J-bass tone from it? Any other notable sounds?

Ghostpilots
Sep 24, 2004

Vigilant Sidekick

DrChu posted:

Looks great, I'm seriously considering getting rid of my Stingray HH for one of these. I know there's a huge variety of settings for the pickups, can you get a decent P-bass or J-bass tone from it? Any other notable sounds?

G&L's are the great impersonators of the musical world. Can it sound exactly like a Jazz bass? No; but it can get damned close to the tone. Basically any major brand can be imitated with some success on a G&L: Rickenbacher, Stingrays, Precisions and Jazz.

Should you want these sounds to be perfect; you'd better start collecting the real basses you're faking; otherwise a G&L can do it all for you for a fraction of the price.

Before this starts to sound too much like an advertisement, I'll just say this: When someone goes out and buys a Stingray, for instance, it is because they want that distinctive Stingray growl. Don't want to limit yourself to only a Stingray tone? Too loving bad, go buy another bass. G&L's let you do it all, whenever you want, so you aren't limited to only the "distinctive" tone. Which isn't to say my L-2000 has an unremarkable tone, far from it, it's just that when I bought this bass I wanted to know that I'd be covered if I ever needed to sound like someone else for awhile. And I am.

In short, uh, G&L's are sexy in everything they do.

Ghostpilots fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 11, 2007

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o

Ghostpilots posted:

G&L L-2000

Welcome to the club. :cool:

G&Ls are very cool instruments. Given the cash/opportunity, I would totally buy another F-100.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Anyone ever played one of these?

If so, what'd you think?

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Handen posted:

Anyone ever played one of these?

If so, what'd you think?

Holy poo poo is that a double neck mosrite?!

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

Engine Fortegue posted:

I believe so, good sir. I think I'd give my firstborn to be able to jam on one of those things... I played a single-neck Mosrite, and... oh man. :fap:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Engine Fortegue posted:

Yup. A mid 60's Mosrite Joe Maphis Doubleneck. I dunno if I wanna save up for one of these, at anywhere from $3000-$5000, or buy a Roland G707 for less than half that and a shitload of synth equipment. I'm stuck!

The Huntsman
Dec 15, 2004

This one is for all my little friends, you know who you are...
This sexiness will be posted in the bass guitar thread as well, I am very proud of this.

Plays very nicely.

Mugendai
Oct 23, 2002

You realize, of
course, that that
will not kill him

The Huntsman posted:

This sexiness will be posted in the bass guitar thread as well, I am very proud of this.

Plays very nicely.

I've been wanting one of those since I found out they existed.

Dexter Stratton
May 25, 2007

I built this

to hold my gear. Missing is my Crybaby that is out for repairs.

Also I bought this

a few months back, and it is friken awesome. Love it.

BTW has anyone used any of the other -4 Line6 gear? I'm thinking of getting the filter box and was wondering if anyone had opinions.

Veen
Oct 26, 2003

Just the tip!
Kramer Vanguard FR440S. Unfortunately the newer re-issues, and not an original 80's. I haven't bought it yet, solely because I want to try to find one to handle and play first. I love the looks of it, and the low price is attractive, along with the fact that there's plenty of people online who say that it plays like a much more expensive guitar. I talked to a friend of mine who played one once, and he said the only electric he actually liked better was the original 80's manufacture Kramer he used to have.

Right now I'm stuck in limbo between the "Buy it and sell it back off if you don't like it," and "Hold off, wait for someone to have one, test it, and THEN buy it," options. I figure at very worst I'm out a couple hundred, three at most if I buy the hard case too. Then I figure that I'm not going to see anywhere close to the purchase price if I resell it, and I'll just have a "cheap" beater guitar for travel and trips and whatnot to show for my money, and not much more.

Needless to say, I've been wavering between these options for pretty much ever. Anyone actually have any experience with one of these? At this point I'd gladly take goon word-of-mouth over finding an actual model to play.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

frankthetank
Dec 20, 2006

Dexter Stratton posted:

a few months back, and it is friken awesome. Love it.

BTW has anyone used any of the other -4 Line6 gear? I'm thinking of getting the filter box and was wondering if anyone had opinions.

That is a beautiful amp, but get a mic stand! :cop:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

The Huntsman posted:

Plays very nicely.

These really are good basses. I just wish Fender would make a version with atleast one humbucker.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Guitar Rig 2 software edition. I'm kinda wishing I had the foot-controller, but god drat is this poo poo expensive as it is... =\

It really is an awesome program though. It's great not to have to fire up my fullstack when I wanna play around with some effects that I don't currently own. Also makes recording a snap. I was able to dial in my tone pretty much identical to my rig.

edit: this isn't a screen cap from my machine, just a shot from their website. I'll get a shot of my setup when I get home from work.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
Since I didn't get a new cable for my camera until now, you get about two months' worth of purchases.

First, my Fender Blues Deluxe amp. To the left is my Squier Bullet Strat and to the right is my Proco Rat II, Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion, Danelectro Daddy-O, Danelectro Chorus, Danelectro PB&J Delay, and Danelectro Fab Tone distortion.

Annnnnd, my Multivox MX-20 electric piano. It has a cover that clips on top for transport. Also a Korg metronome.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Ghostpilots posted:

Before this starts to sound too much like an advertisement, I'll just say this: When someone goes out and buys a Stingray, for instance, it is because they want that distinctive Stingray growl. Don't want to limit yourself to only a Stingray tone? Too loving bad, go buy another bass. G&L's let you do it all, whenever you want, so you aren't limited to only the "distinctive" tone. Which isn't to say my L-2000 has an unremarkable tone, far from it, it's just that when I bought this bass I wanted to know that I'd be covered if I ever needed to sound like someone else for awhile. And I am.
This is the reason I got the Stingray HH, because I thought the second pickup could give me a nice variety of options, which it does except that it can't really pull off a Precision. In hindsight I should have spent a little more time with the HS version, that will do a Precision a at the expense of one of the Jazz-like tones. The options I'm looking into are either finding someone to trade straight-up for a HS, rewire the pickup selector on the HH, or sell the thing and buy a Jazz Bass (which gets enough of a Precision tone for me) and a regular Stingray later, or something like the L2000.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Mugendai posted:

That looks cool. How good are those at replicating actual instrument sounds? I figure you can do all sorts of awesome synthy stuff with them, but if they can do a fairly good replication of actual saxophone sounds with the right software, that could be really usefull for me.

It's just a conttroller, it doesn't make any sounds at all. You'd just need a good MIDI device that had good brass sounds but, um, I've never really heard one. Even the high end stuff isn't as expressive and human as a real brass instrument.

3toes posted:

Guitar Rig 2 software edition. I'm kinda wishing I had the foot-controller, but god drat is this poo poo expensive as it is... =\

Get an FCB1010.

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

StealThisAlias
Apr 5, 2007

\m/ Fear the lawnmower \m/
I just purchased the Ibanez RGTHRG2
if what i heard is correct, there are only about 200 or so of these that were made, it is a limited collectors guitar, but it is still great. it is way better than my stupid little squier. the tremolo gives almost no resistance, and the paint job is just amazing, H.R. Giger designed it, kind of like a sci-fi meets psychedelic

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Been looking for a little while, but I think I've decided in the next week or so to pick up this:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom in Silverburst

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Behold, the messiest goddamn music corner in history.

A new AKG C 1000 S mic and an M-Audio Fast Track Pro (bottom right) so I can finally record some stuff.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

DrChu posted:

This is the reason I got the Stingray HH, because I thought the second pickup could give me a nice variety of options, which it does except that it can't really pull off a Precision. In hindsight I should have spent a little more time with the HS version, that will do a Precision a at the expense of one of the Jazz-like tones. The options I'm looking into are either finding someone to trade straight-up for a HS, rewire the pickup selector on the HH, or sell the thing and buy a Jazz Bass (which gets enough of a Precision tone for me) and a regular Stingray later, or something like the L2000.

Honestly if you're looking for something that can do it all, get a Lakland 44/55-02. With the new Lakland pickups you can get a really good P, really good J, and really good 'Ray. I haven't heard anything else that can do those three as well.

The HS Ray can do a good P and a good Ray but the H pickup isn't back far enough to get a convincing Jazz bridge pickup burp going. And as far as the L2000 goes, it's versatile all right but it can't do a Jazz bass tone for poo poo stock*. It can do a decent P, a decent 'Ray, and a myriad of other tones but with no coil tap you're never going to get a J tone out of it. Also IMHO the preamp does not sound good at all.

*I say stock because it's always possible to rewire the parallel / series switch to be parallel / single or even parallel / single / series if you or your tech have the skill.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Carbohydrates posted:

Behold, the messiest goddamn music corner in history.

A new AKG C 1000 S mic and an M-Audio Fast Track Pro (bottom right) so I can finally record some stuff.

Tell me about that strat with all the crazy inlay work.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Chows posted:

Tell me about that strat with all the crazy inlay work.
She's my baby :3:

One piece alder body, flamed maple neck, rosewood fretboard / headstock overlay, rosewood skunk strip. Only 4 pieces of wood on the whole guitar. The inlays are abalone shell and mother of pearl.

Fender custom shop pickups: 70's in the neck and middle, 50's in the bridge on a push / pull switch.

This one's an older picture, it has graphite string trees now:

And that's enough of that little hijack.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

That's hot as hell.

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy

Veen posted:

Kramer Vanguard FR440S

Your post reminded me of the new Kramer brand. Ive been wanting to buy a v or explorer shaped guitar wtih 24 frets and a nice trem. So right after reading your post I looked up and found a site with some nice Kramers. I also read on Ed Roman's site that the new Kramer brand is owned by Gibson and they are just slapping the Kramer name on cheap import guitars.

Most of the reviews of the newer Kramers have been very positive though, if you do decide to get one I suggest that you try and buy one locally or dont buy from Musicyo.com.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Carbohydrates posted:

She's my baby :3:

One piece alder body, flamed maple neck, rosewood fretboard / headstock overlay, rosewood skunk strip. Only 4 pieces of wood on the whole guitar. The inlays are abalone shell and mother of pearl.

Fender custom shop pickups: 70's in the neck and middle, 50's in the bridge on a push / pull switch.

This one's an older picture, it has graphite string trees now:

And that's enough of that little hijack.

That is straight fuckin' electric sex, right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

El Bi Ranchero posted:

If I'm not mistaken you can also load your own samples and use them as triggers.
You're sort-of right. You can't load any samples into the brain itself as Roland gear works off of "modeling" instead of Sampling. However you can just as easily MIDI from the brain into your computer and use some sweet sweet samples there. For example, the Roland TD-20 brain is being used as the midi controller in these vids starring the always badass Morgan Ågren. http://www.toontrack.com/videos.asp (click on the vids on the left side of the page).

Whenever I finally get around to it, i'm going to set things up just like what's above: TD-20 -> computer and DFH.