Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm staying in San Rafael for training for three days in mid-June. So basically, I will have two nights to see California for the first time. What would you all recommend seeing that would be good at night and could be done in just a few hours? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

JohnnyRed posted:

Literally everyone I know that lives in the Richmond (Inner mostly too) pays around 500, never more than 600. That's pretty drat cheap to me!

Lucky ducks! When I had roommates the lowest I paid was $550 and that was for a shithole room. The last place I lived in was 2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath and total rent on it was $1500 so I paid half. It was a dump of an apt too. Again, it's just a question of finding the right place at the right time. I know outer richmond can get dirt cheap but inner is tough.

Sweaty Penny
Dec 2, 2004

You just grab that brownish area by its points and you don't let go no matter what your mom says.
Man, I'm jealous of those rents. I pay $1205 for 550 ft² in Sunnyvale (South Bay). You guys get to live in SF too! Well, I can't complain about a ten minute commute though. I wish I would have found this thread earlier than a month before I move to Colorado.

Jibba Jabba
Aug 27, 2003

FUTURE
DEAD
PERSON
I think I have you all beat. I live in a 3-br railroad apt on the Panhandle that goes for $1250/month (and my share for a 10'x14' room is $200).

My sister's been sitting no the place for 12 years now; she's still paying for her room despite practically living at her boyfriend's place.

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

Jibba Jabba posted:

I think I have you all beat. I live in a 3-br railroad apt on the Panhandle that goes for $1250/month (and my share for a 10'x14' room is $200).

My sister's been sitting no the place for 12 years now; she's still paying for her room despite practically living at her boyfriend's place.

tell your sister to move out so I can move in!

I'm actually moving to Oakland for a huge basement place on 41st for 500 bucks, everything included. HYPHY

mediawhore
Apr 18, 2003

i think i'm gonna put you down for a while

Bullet Ant posted:

I'm finally moving to the Mission in June (close to 18th & Mission) and I need some recommendations:
- cafe (serving beer is a plus, not being Ritual is required).
- pizza (slices)
- bike shop
- taqueria (if there's somewhere better than Cancun)
- Chinese food
- music supply store

I think the best pizza in the city is at Arinell's Valencia between 16th and 17th. For Chinese food, I find Big Lantern on 16th between Valencia and Guerrero to be excellent. It's kind of expensive, but they serve dim-sum all night.

Zoccoli
Feb 12, 2004

Everything that stands will be at odds with its neighbor, and everything that falls will perish without grace

mediawhore posted:

they serve dim-sum all night.
:swoon:

I know what I'm doing next time I'm out drinking in the Mission, thanks!

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

4 other roommates, own room, two full baths, Lower Haight: $600 a month.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

Sweaty Penny posted:

Man, I'm jealous of those rents. I pay $1205 for 550 ft² in Sunnyvale (South Bay). You guys get to live in SF too! Well, I can't complain about a ten minute commute though. I wish I would have found this thread earlier than a month before I move to Colorado.

Jesus christ almighty. I pay about that for my 2 bedroom apartment in Sunnyvale. It's in a pretty good part of town (near the safeway on El Camino) but the apartments themselves aren't too great. The neighbors mostly suck, but they allow dogs which was the main reason I live there. It's about a 10-15 minute drive to Moffett Park every morning for me when I leave around 8:30. If you're cheap and don't mind living in a ghettoish apartment that is fairly room you may want to check out Linden Arms. (http://www.lindenarms.com except the web site doens't show poo poo anymore) I believe the 2 bedroom is around 1100 Sqft and the 1 bedroom is 800ish. The rent check I cut is a little over 1,300.00 every month which includes the fees for both of my dogs though. If you're looking to save money you might wanna check it out. The manager is a really nice lady, with a thick german accent. Er, forgot about the moving to Colorado part when I was typing it. Well, if anyone else is coming to sunnyvale they might wanna keep this poo poo hole in mind.

Haydez fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 1, 2007

Lil Danzig
Mar 1, 2007
All rightie -- San Francisco OR the Bay OR the peninsula -- somebody clue me in on a good place to find an open-mic/battle sort of hip hop night where I can get thoroughly embarassed by people far more legit than I am.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Earwicker posted:

And yeah there is a ton of great food here and a lot of nice bars too. There's a lot of good food in the Richmond as well though its more Asian, I don't know any Mexican places up there.

El Gordo Taqueria on like 15th and Geary, and also Tommy's on 23rd and Geary. Tommy's is amazing Yucatan style food with one of the most comprehensive tequila selections in San Francisco.
(I used to live on 15th and Anza, and before that 21st and Anza.)

It was a 3-way split. 3 beds, 2 bath... rent was 700 and 600 respectively.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm moving to the south bay area in a few weeks and boy am I nervous! I've never even been to California before.

I'm moving out with two of my friends. We want to find a place somewhere in "Silicon Valley," between SF and San Jose. We're looking for a 3 BR house or apartment for rent. The only other deal-breaker is that the place absolutely has to have washer and dryer hookups in the unit. I'd like to find something pet-friendly, because I really, really want to get a dog.

We are naively budgeting between $1500-$2000/mo., between the three of us. Hopping on Craigslist, I see all kinds of places that seem to fit the bill. They seem to good to be true. Is it possible to get a 3 BR house/apt. that is pet friendly for $1500/mo. in a neighborhood where I won't get shot? I honestly have no idea if that's realistic or not.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kobayashi posted:

We are naively budgeting between $1500-$2000/mo., between the three of us. Hopping on Craigslist, I see all kinds of places that seem to fit the bill. They seem to good to be true. Is it possible to get a 3 BR house/apt. that is pet friendly for $1500/mo. in a neighborhood where I won't get shot? I honestly have no idea if that's realistic or not.

Yes I'd say it's certainly possible, parts of Mt. View and Sunnyvale are still quite affordable and while they might be considered "low income", you are in no danger of getting shot.

Post some addresses of the places in your price range that appeal to you and people here can help you out with what the neighborhood is like.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Earwicker posted:

Yes I'd say it's certainly possible, parts of Mt. View and Sunnyvale are still quite affordable and while they might be considered "low income", you are in no danger of getting shot.

Post some addresses of the places in your price range that appeal to you and people here can help you out with what the neighborhood is like.

I'm searching Craigslist for South Bay housing, 3BR, under $2,000 a month. At this point, I have nothing but Google Maps to help me. Mountain View, Sunnyvale, and San Jose are all geographically acceptable. Of the places listed, most seem to be in the San Jose area: Berryessa, Campbell, Los Gatos, Milpitas, Santa Clara, and Willow Glen/Cambrian. I have no idea which of these, if any, I should avoid. Then there are a lot more postings that are generic "San Jose east," "San Jose south," etc.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Strict 9 posted:

I'm staying in San Rafael for training for three days in mid-June. So basically, I will have two nights to see California for the first time. What would you all recommend seeing that would be good at night and could be done in just a few hours? Thanks.

Downtown SR Farmer's Market on Thursday nights from 6-9pm is pretty big, they close down a big chunk of 4th St and have bands and stuff. Other than that your best bet is checking out SF - I'd see if there are any concerts or bands playing that you're interested in.

The Duck Is Back!
Sep 19, 2005
HOW I MINE FOR FISH??
To whoever recommended Nak's Oriental Market in Menlo Park to me many weeks ago?

I finally went by there and hit jackpot. That place is amazing. Thank you!

The Duck Is Back!
Sep 19, 2005
HOW I MINE FOR FISH??

Kobayashi posted:

"Silicon Valley," between SF and San Jose.

Kobayashi posted:

South Bay housing,

"Between SF and SJ" describes the Peninsula, not South Bay. Ten years ago, Silicon Valley was distinctly in the South Bay, but it's started to migrate north. I recommend you search the Peninsula listings and look for the more southern cities in the stretch. Note you don't want anyplace like Pacifica that's on the other side of the hills, on the coast.

Polpettina
Apr 15, 2007

Kobayashi posted:

I'm moving to the south bay area in a few weeks and boy am I nervous! I've never even been to California before.

I'm moving out with two of my friends. We want to find a place somewhere in "Silicon Valley," between SF and San Jose. We're looking for a 3 BR house or apartment for rent. The only other deal-breaker is that the place absolutely has to have washer and dryer hookups in the unit. I'd like to find something pet-friendly, because I really, really want to get a dog.

Silicon Valley really just means Santa Clara County, if that helps :) We are literally in a Valley for the most part...but I think it refers to the county mostly. I don't know if $1500 is enough for a 3 bedroom, since 1 BD is like $875+ and 2 BD is like $1050+ anywhere around where I live (so Santa Clara, San Jose, Cupertino, Saratoga)...and I don't know anything about the pet thing and I am not sure but I think haveing the washer and dryer in the unit is a little optimistic. But I haven't actually rented anywhere, this is just my craigslist looking to move out experience.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Polpettina posted:

Silicon Valley really just means Santa Clara County, if that helps :) We are literally in a Valley for the most part...but I think it refers to the county mostly. I don't know if $1500 is enough for a 3 bedroom, since 1 BD is like $875+ and 2 BD is like $1050+ anywhere around where I live (so Santa Clara, San Jose, Cupertino, Saratoga)...and I don't know anything about the pet thing and I am not sure but I think haveing the washer and dryer in the unit is a little optimistic. But I haven't actually rented anywhere, this is just my craigslist looking to move out experience.

Ahh ok, switching to "Peninsula" just added about $500/mo. onto everything I was looking at. Yikes. Thanks for the terminology help, though.

EDIT: I'm really frustrated by the lack of pet-friendly places. Is there a reason for this?

Kobayashi fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 9, 2007

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Kobayashi posted:

EDIT: I'm really frustrated by the lack of pet-friendly places. Is there a reason for this?

I can't really give you a reason but I can commiserate. I suppose it's a combination of landlords who have been burned by pets in the past and landlords who just don't want the hassle. Having just one cat makes it 2x as hard to find things here and I hate it. They're trying to make it easier for petowners here but it doesn't get you far. Forgive me for saying it but it seems like 99% of landlords here are just dicks--- but that's par for the course in terms of landlords anywhere. I have more to say about the subjects but I think my feelings there actually border on something inappropriate. I will say that it seems like some districts are more pet friendly than others in SF. Take that however you wish.

Crazak P
Apr 11, 2003

PUNISHER > SPIDERMAN
Is there something wrong with my e-mail? I'm desperately trying to get a sublet and sent out and responded to at least 20 posts, but I got back 2 e-mails and I tried calling them and leaving voice mails as well, but don't get any call backs. I'm running out of places to crash.

quote:

Hi!

I'd like to rent your room, if it's still available. It'd be great to meet everyone and see the room this week.

A little bit about myself, I'm 22 and I just graduated with a masters in computer science from a school in LA and want to live in San Francisco. I figure this sublet would be good until I find a more permanent place. I like watching movies, reading, running, cooking, playing computer games, and going out. I'm a social and friendly person that's easy to get along with. I like hanging out and have had roommates for the past 5 years. I don't do any drugs, but I like the occasional drink. I'm pretty chill in general and I clean up after myself.

I look forward to hearing your response. You can give me a call at (phone number) if you have any questions. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Crazak P

I usually tailor the message in the first paragraph to respond more accurately to their post or I ask any questions I have. I even got a new e-mail address, so it's not my username @ gmail.com. Maybe the prospects of having someone that might use crack turns them off, not that I do. I have no idea.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Crazak P posted:

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Your e-mail seems fine to me, but I will say that I discovered that you have to kind of gauge the length of your e-mail based on their posting. Shorter post = shorter email with just the facts. What you posted seems "short" to me but I realized that it's "long" to some people.

Did you also try putting up your own posting? I know it seems like a slight waste because I don't think a ton of people go through there but it does help. 2 of the many roommates I had came about because they looked up my ad; they wouldn't have come up in a search that I made myself because they were initially out of my price range but they read my ad and liked me so they responded.

2 out of 20 does seem like a rough go but sublets are harder to get. I'd average about 1 response for about every 5 sent out for regular roommate searches. I remember once I went to look at some place in the tenderloin and the girl had her e-mail open on a laptop on her bed. We were talking about craigslist and she pointed to her inbox and said "I've gotten about 100 responses to my ad, it's scary!"

So just keep in mind that these people get a TON of e-mails unless they're weirdos.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Lil Danzig posted:

All rightie -- San Francisco OR the Bay OR the peninsula -- somebody clue me in on a good place to find an open-mic/battle sort of hip hop night where I can get thoroughly embarassed by people far more legit than I am.

I don't know about hip hop, but I've been to a couple of these poetry slams in Berkeley and they were both great:

http://www.daniland.com/slam/

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

The Duck Is Back! posted:

To whoever recommended Nak's Oriental Market in Menlo Park to me many weeks ago?

I finally went by there and hit jackpot. That place is amazing. Thank you!

Lovely isn't it? There's a dry-cleaning place to the left of it; it's also very good.

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

Pius -- it's a lovely situation, trust me. Took me three weeks to get a place on my own, and I had to move out after a few months because the people there were crazy (just mashing together random personalities via Craig's List does NOT make a good home). Took my friend six weeks before he found a place in SoMa he really liked. You just have to keep fighting the good fight, and showing up to open houses with all your poo poo together (credit report, filled out application).

Also sorry I have not been responding to your messages :frogbon:

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

I just moved to Monterey a few weeks ago and my question is this:

When the gently caress will it warm up? poo poo, it's June and I'm in California, why the hell am I not seeing any temperatures above 70!?

I miss the hot, humid Texas weather. :(

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.
^^^You should live somewhere further inland. What do you expect, being on the coast?

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

CaptBushido posted:

When the gently caress will it warm up? poo poo, it's June and I'm in California, why the hell am I not seeing any temperatures above 70!?

Hold your breath if you live inland or in the Bay Area. That heatwave is a-coming within the next week.

Besides, Bushido, didn't you hear the quote "The coldest winter I've felt is a summer in San Francisco?"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

CaptBushido posted:

I just drove down to Monterey and back yesterday and it was pretty drat nice out!

Also, the seasons are a bit different here. In the Bay Area at least generally gets warmest in fall, especially in September and October, its not as warm in June. I went to Monterey in September once and it was hotter that I've ever felt it down there.

Polpettina
Apr 15, 2007
I can certainly wait for it to be 104F like it was last summer thank you. Also like somebody said, you are right on the coast at monterey that makes it a bit cooler.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
I should probably throw a post in here about how I'm moving to San Francisco on saturday. I just turned 21 about 35 minutes ago, and I've got a place to stay for several weeks, until I find an apartment. I'm sure it's been mentioned at least ten times in this thread so far, but what's some good advice on apartment hunting? Feel free to link me to earlier in this megathread if you don't feel like typing too hard.

hermanos
Dec 30, 2005

Magoo said that the "bird's the word"
But the Fur Byrd Gang flip birds on curbs
If you see a place you like, apply asap. I looked at seven places over two or three days, and by the morning of the third day, six were rented. Don't wait around!

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

hermanos posted:

If you see a place you like, apply asap. I looked at seven places over two or three days, and by the morning of the third day, six were rented. Don't wait around!

I'd even go so far as to say that you should schedule a viewing and then bring all your information and your checkbook depending on the place. I know it comes across as a little desperate but I looked at one place on Arguello/Lake where they were shaking hands on a deal within the first 15 min or so of an open house and with my current place I am 100% sure we would not have gotten it had we waited even a day to apply. We got it because we went there with our checkbooks and our application info and filled out the app on the spot and gave the agent a good faith deposit.

Unless you're looking for a place in an area that isn't too competitive and your pricerange is higher than most, it seems like it's tougher than usual in bay area. Maybe I'm crazy though--- I am a tough customer since I have a cat so pet-friendly places are even harder to find.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
I suppose now is a good time to pop in and say hello and ask a few housing questions myself. I'll be starting grad school at Berkeley in August, so I've been keeping an eye on craigslist for places to rent. I'm looking at getting a 2-3 bedroom place with some other incoming grad students. I've made plans to travel out there (from WI) June 26-July 3 to look at apartments, but my experience in searching for apartments isn't that extensive.

Would I be at a disadvantage in trying to rent a multiple bedroom place if not all of the other tenants are present? I'm really the only one with the time to go out there this summer. The Berkeley housing support people have a basic tenant application, which gives rental references, authorization to run a credit report, etc. I assumed that if I brought this basic info about the other tenants and the earnest (or rent/deposit) money, I could secure a place/sign a lease and add others on when they move out on August 1. I'm partly hoping that they will recognize a group of grad students as a desirable group to rent to (compared to undergrads), and give us the benefit of the doubt. My main concern is securing a place in the week that I'm out there, so I'm not sure how long the "application" process takes after I express interest in taking a place.

I see that a few landlords state that you should come with a copy of a credit report in hand. Is this overkill or the norm? In my previous experience, the landlord would do this on their own. It looks like $800 apiece (more or less) is what we're looking to spend on rent, based on our stipends and prices around the area, by the way.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

marmot25 posted:

I see that a few landlords state that you should come with a copy of a credit report in hand. Is this overkill or the norm?
Most will say that, I imagine it's not the end of the world if you don't come with one but if you do it just speeds up the process and saves you $20 that you might have to pay them to do it themselves. If you're trying to apply for a place on the spot it makes it lots better.

QuantumKat
Jul 16, 2004

Member of the Catspiracy
Anyone know of any decent Bay Area moving companies that won't charge me 300 dollars to move a drat couch 1.5 miles?

If so let me know! Thanks a bunch :)

Chron
Dec 24, 2000

Forum Absurdist
I'm having trouble finding housing in San Francisco as well. It seems that everything is either too expensive for me, or is full of kids who want to party all the time.

Anyone want to rent with a poor grad student? :3:

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

Chron posted:

I'm having trouble finding housing in San Francisco as well. It seems that everything is either too expensive for me, or is full of kids who want to party all the time.

Might want to look at the East Bay, or Outer Richmond/Sunset. Further out you go, the cheaper and more relaxed it's going to be.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

QuantumKat posted:

Anyone know of any decent Bay Area moving companies that won't charge me 300 dollars to move a drat couch 1.5 miles?

If so let me know! Thanks a bunch :)

I asked about One Big Man/One Big Truck a couple pages ago. I actually went with them for my move; they got my stuff done in 45 min (bed, really heavy antique dresser, lots of boxes). I gave them a really great tip so I paid more but I believe my total without tip (including $50 travel fee) was like 120.

Chron posted:

Definitely try outer Richmond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

hermanos posted:

Will do. :) I'll show up with application/credit report/check book in my bag.

So, is the Tenderloin really as dangerous as people tell me?

• Locked thread