Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aw. I feel bad for her now. I guess this sort of tragic end is even sadder than a noble sacrifice in its own way. I think I underestimated Burlew on his portrayal of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wow, I did not see that coming. I like it better than anything anyone predicted here.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
You know, she's not half bad. :v:

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Aimbot posted:

No she really is.

The smug self-righteous bitch didn't deserve any sort of reconciliation. Perhaps not indeed Soon, Miko wouldn't have crashed and burned if she'd kept on her current tact and rightfully so, instead she gets to die a quasi hero. A well deserved downward spiral ruined by a delusional act of heroism.

drat you Burlew.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Aimbot posted:

Oh come on, this isn't the time to beat a dead horse

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
I'm glad it happened this way, truth be told. Miko's story really only had potential to keep spinning off into more and more horrible places. Her death lets her serve a purpose, but won't result in sideplots and recurring harrassment of the Order that could have led Burlew away from the main focus.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

The Werle posted:

Her death lets her serve a purpose, but won't result in sideplots and recurring harrassment of the Order that could have led Burlew away from the main focus.

That's what the Linear Guild is for!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
In spite of everything, I've always kind of felt bad for Miko. I'm glad she gets at least a vaguely dignified death.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

farraday posted:

No she really is.

The smug self-righteous bitch didn't deserve any sort of reconciliation. Perhaps not indeed Soon, Miko wouldn't have crashed and burned if she'd kept on her current tact and rightfully so, instead she gets to die a quasi hero. A well deserved downward spiral ruined by a delusional act of heroism.

drat you Burlew.

You know, there's a good chance she's going to a less than pleasant afterlife. Look how Soon danced around the issue of where exactly she was going, and the line about her horse "visiting" her.

Also you're replying to a horrible pun about how she's cut in half.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I am positively beaming. :D :gibs:

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 12, 2007

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

You know, there's a good chance she's going to a less than pleasant afterlife. Look how Soon danced around the issue of where exactly she was going, and the line about her horse "visiting" her.

Also you're replying to a horrible pun about how she's cut in half.

I know, I'm just pissed she gets a sympathetic send off without doing anything to deserve one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

farraday posted:

I know, I'm just pissed she gets a sympathetic send off without doing anything to deserve one.

I think the point is that in the grand scheme of things, she wasn't that bad, and taking pleasure in someone's death just because they're irritating... why? I'm having trouble articulating my point here, but why should she get a horrible "HAHAHA TAKE THAT BITCH" death, just because she was a very dislikable person? What would it accomplish?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
haha. I bet Burlew wrote that after reading everyone's predictions for Miko. With that in mind, everyone needs to register for the OOTS forums and post lots of times predicting what we don't want to happen, to happen. :v:

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite

RickoniX posted:

Oh come on, this isn't the time to beat a dead horse

It's in the celestial realm, get it right.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I think the point is that in the grand scheme of things, she wasn't that bad, and taking pleasure in someone's death just because they're irritating... why? I'm having trouble articulating my point here, but why should she get a horrible "HAHAHA TAKE THAT BITCH" death, just because she was a very dislikable person? What would it accomplish?

I disagree. She was that bad, she just wasn't objectively evil. She was a delusional obsessive bitch and even to the very end she just doesn't understand.

Disgraced ex paladin telling Soon how awesome she is? Like Soon said said it's not just that she didn't atone, she never even considered she might have to, even at -9 and bleeding.

She died the exact same self righteous bitch she'd been. It feels hollow since she never understood what she had done was wrong, never come to terms with her failure either by acknowledging the need for redemption or turning her back on the 12 gods.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

farraday posted:

She died the exact same self righteous bitch she'd been. It feels hollow since she never understood what she had done was wrong, never come to terms with her failure either by acknowledging the need for redemption or turning her back on the 12 gods.

That's the tragedy of her character. She never "got it" and she died never knowing any better.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Eh, it was a nice end. Where did Miko really have to go from here? Either she descends further into insanity and becomes a Blackguard (predictable, cliche), continues being a self-involved crazy bitch (stagnant, repetetive) or has a crazy redemption and completely goes against everything she used to be (stupid, unrealistic).

Really it was the best way to send her off since the whole Azure City plotline seems to have drawn to a close for the most part anyway.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

That's the tragedy of her character. She never "got it" and she died never knowing any better.

No, she wasn't tragic.

Tragedy implies some level of self awareness. Miko is far too... linear, if you'll forgive me, for that. There's no catharsis here, just the death of a mindless projectile.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

farraday posted:

No, she wasn't tragic.

Tragedy implies some level of self awareness. Miko is far too... linear, if you'll forgive me, for that. There's no catharsis here, just the death of a mindless projectile.

"Tell me about the rabbits George."

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

clockworkjoe posted:

"Tell me about the rabbits George."

Lenny doesn't understand because he's severely retarded.
Miko understands but has a messianic complex.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

farraday posted:

Lenny doesn't understand because he's severely retarded.
Miko understands but has a messianic complex.

You just said yourself she doesn't have an awareness of what she's doing wrong, and that's why she wasn't tragic.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

You just said yourself she doesn't have an awareness of what she's doing wrong, and that's why she wasn't tragic.

She doesn't have awareness that what she's doing is wrong, but she understands what she's doing.

Lenny doesn't understand what he's doing, but he is aware that it's bad when things die.

I do not feel the distinction is either hard to understand or slight.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
Of course now that she's dead, will she end up meeting Roy? I loving hope not, I really want these guys to get back on the adventuring trail.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I thought it was well done, and a bit sad, in the end.

Sure, she didn't change, but the idea of someone so dedicated to a goal, no matter how selfish it is... wow.

"Do I get to be a Paladin again."

"No, Miko. You didn't really atone at all. Also, your legs are over there. It'd make things kinda tough."

I did like that Soon didn't lie to her. Would have been pretty tempting to just tell a little fib to comfort her. As it is, he sugar coats what she actually accomplished.

Sometimes I guess things just have to end in a mundane way. Besides it's D & D. If they REALLY want to, they can bring her back.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bitch got loving split in half, whoo!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

NutShellBill posted:

Besides it's D & D. If they REALLY want to, they can bring her back.

Yea, I can't imagine that donation drive going well :effort:

I'm glad to see the bitch dead and gone though, especially when she went out so un-expectedly and in a nice, somewhat humanizing way. Was a pretty fantastic comic on the whole, and the most surprised I've been by a comic in a good, long while.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
So what alignment do you guys think Miko was when she died? :downs:

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

Sergeant Rock posted:

I don't know but it would make a good discussion on the duality of man.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

This also means that Belkar will be responsible for Roy's, V's or the Oracle's death based on elimination

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Arctic Baldwin posted:

This also means that Belkar will be responsible for Roy's, V's or the Oracle's death based on elimination

He was kind of already responsible for Roy's death! "Here, take my ring and go fight a twentieth (or more) level lich sorcerer one on one in midair."

Edit: You guys, I just realized the staggering irony of Miko being chopped in half by the throne that she chopped in half.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 12, 2007

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Efreet saiid posted:

Of course now that she's dead, will she end up meeting Roy? I loving hope not, I really want these guys to get back on the adventuring trail.

Agreed. While I think the whole epic war saga has been great, I'm glad that its pretty much hit climax, since the majority of D&D is adventuring and treasure hunting, not grand-scale LOTR-esque battles.

I hope Belkar keeps the head, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

People are saying that her death was meaningless because she didn't learn anything, but I think she did there, just for a few frames. She was told by the founder of her order why she was a bad Paladin, and rather than arguing, or deflecting blame, she just... accepted it, and indicated that she could deal with not being a Paladin. Clueless Miko would have argued up to the moment the x's appeared.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Ferrinus posted:

He was kind of already responsible for Roy's death! "Here, take my ring and go fight a twentieth (or more) level lich sorcerer one on one in midair."

Edit: You guys, I just realized the staggering irony of Miko being chopped in half by the throne that she chopped in half.

If that's what Burlew means, I am going to be very upset. I want that blood-crazed halfling to kill someone in a way that makes me laugh

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Wolfsheim posted:

Eh, it was a nice end. Where did Miko really have to go from here? Either she descends further into insanity and becomes a Blackguard (predictable, cliche), continues being a self-involved crazy bitch (stagnant, repetetive) or has a crazy redemption and completely goes against everything she used to be (stupid, unrealistic).

Really it was the best way to send her off since the whole Azure City plotline seems to have drawn to a close for the most part anyway.
I thing you're spot on. Having her keep doing stupid things in the misguided belief that she was doing good had gotten old and annoying by this point already, so its good to see her go. Plus, it's good to see that Burlew is willing to kill major characters, since we can be pretty sure, unlike with Roy, that she won't be coming back.

Sergeant Rock posted:

Lawful Stupid.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Efreet saiid posted:

Nah, cause Roy's chilling in the Lawful Good heaven that is probably off-limits to fallen paladins.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

People are saying that her death was meaningless because she didn't learn anything, but I think she did there, just for a few frames. She was told by the founder of her order why she was a bad Paladin, and rather than arguing, or deflecting blame, she just... accepted it, and indicated that she could deal with not being a Paladin. Clueless Miko would have argued up to the moment the x's appeared.

Pretty much - Awful Miko would never have said "I can live with that" to anything.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

UberJew posted:

Nah, cause Roy's chilling in the Lawful Good heaven that is probably off-limits to fallen paladins.

Considering how strict their moral code is, I'd think Paladins have their own area anyway, so he probably won't even meet Soon.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.
*Que Return of the Jedi-like celebration*

Jeet
Jul 12, 2001

Sick_Boy posted:

no that was erfworld

also queue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Sick_Boy posted:

I have to say, if I were a mod, I would totally replace those asterisks with a question mark and an upside down question mark.