Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sergeant Rock posted:

So what alignment do you guys think Miko was when she died? :downs:

When one dies in D&D, one's soul typically goes to a plane with the same alignment. So if we ever see her in the afterlife, and he uses one of the planes from the book, we'll know! Even if he doesn't, we can probably infer at least half of her alignment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax

Sick_Boy posted:

*Que Return of the Jedi-like celebration*
There's still about ten thousand hobgoblins and change to deal with.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

UberJew posted:

Nah, cause Roy's chilling in the Lawful Good heaven that is probably off-limits to fallen paladins.

Why not? When she fell it seemed like she had two seperate falls. When she killed Shojo she fell from a Paladin to a Fallen, and then a dozen panels later, when she attacks Hinjo, she toggled from Lawful Good (with one big fuckup) to Chaotic Evil or something. The whole "I can live with that" bit seems that she got at least a half of the crazy bleed out of her. Maybe that was her going back to Lawful Good (but still not Paladin) inside.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Jeet posted:

no that was erfworld

also queue

Cue, actually.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Jeet posted:

no that was erfworld

also queue

Erfworld actually managed to suck me in for one brief, shining moment when they showed the good guys realising their siege engines had been trashed... before "pwnz0r" :(

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fuego Fish posted:

Erfworld actually managed to suck me in for one brief, shining moment when they showed the good guys realising their siege engines had been trashed... before "pwnz0r" :(

God, Erfworld would be so much better without the crappy Internet culture references. Focus on wargaming! You don't see OOTS joking about how the players bring Doritos and Cheetos to every single session.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Brannock posted:

God, Erfworld would be so much better without the crappy Internet culture references. Focus on wargaming! You don't see OOTS joking about how the players bring Doritos and Cheetos to every single session.

The problem is that the main character IS nothing but a crappy internet culture reference, ie the fat internet slob that runs a crappy as hell webcomic. I some times think the whole point is to show just how stupid some of this stuff really is.

Hell, it is not like any one else knows the dork is saying when he switches to the random leet speak.

Shmafty
Apr 17, 2003

NO MA'AM

clockworkjoe posted:

haha. I bet Burlew wrote that after reading everyone's predictions for Miko. With that in mind, everyone needs to register for the OOTS forums and post lots of times predicting what we don't want to happen, to happen. :v:

Burlew has actually stated in the OOTS FAQ that he has an 'uncontrollable urge' to do this:

Rich Burlew posted:

Q: Wouldn't it be cool if X, Y, and Z happened? You should totally do that.

A: Thanks, but I prefer to create my own plots. In fact, I try not to read anything where people suggest upcoming plot ideas because I hate it when people guess what is going to happen. I feel the uncontrollable urge to change what happens, just to prove them wrong. Petty? Probably.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Redcloak will abandon the hobgoblins now that they serve no purpose. And the hobgoblins will revive Roy just because. And after he proves himself to them, he will become a master of the Iron Heart style. And Ray will be a Warblade and Xykon will be FUUUUUUCKED.

I wish.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
That was AWESOME. Miko's death was a great OOTS moment.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Zoolooman posted:

That was AWESOME. Miko's death was a great OOTS moment.

Uhm... wow... I just..

I haven't posted in so long, but I read today's.. and I had to post.

My jaw dropped.

I'm all Keanu "woah" at the moment.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've gotta say, Burlew really knows how to throw a curveball, plot-wise. I love this strip.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

There's still about ten thousand hobgoblins and change to deal with.
I'm guessing these were taken out in the big castle explosion, since they were in the courtyard right underneath it.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Halloween Jack posted:

Redcloak will abandon the hobgoblins now that they serve no purpose. And the hobgoblins will revive Roy just because. And after he proves himself to them, he will become a master of the Iron Heart style. And Ray will be a Warblade and Xykon will be FUUUUUUCKED.

I wish.

OOTS only has OGL material. No WOTC splatbooks allowed. :keke:

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.

Halloween Jack posted:

Redcloak will abandon the hobgoblins now that they serve no purpose.

The Saphire Guard killed his mother. He has a grudge, which led him to attack with full strength to destroy the city. So he has an agenda of his own... that, and his newly found respect for Hobgoblins, should lead to tensions between him and Xykon.

Sick_Boy fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 13, 2007

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Efreet saiid posted:

Of course now that she's dead, will she end up meeting Roy?
Interesting thought. Hah! Wouldn't that be a hoot! Roy meets up with Miko in the spirit world, and they both figure that their respective games are pretty much over--Miko is obviously beyond saving and Roy probably figures that, given the way events progressed, nobody's left to pick up his corpse.

So...here we are, then. After all, is it really cheating when neither of you is alive? It's like that old cliche about "I thought you were dead, so I slept with your best friend" only in reverse.

Heck, I like this better than my "zombie Roy" idea!

I'll say, though, that it's possible that we won't see Roy for a while. Those two Azure City soldiers are, presumably, still hanging around with the OOTS; they could well serve as the party's Fighters for a while. (I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of a cast change, actually.)

UberJew posted:

Nah, cause Roy's chilling in the Lawful Good heaven that is probably off-limits to fallen paladins.
By the Twelve Gods, can we not have the alignment discussion again? Please?

Sick_Boy posted:

[Redcloak] has an agenda of his own... that, and his newly found respect for Hobgoblins, should lead to tensions between him and Xykon.
Let's not forget Xykon's new girlfriend (admittedly of unknown status re: exploding.)

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 14, 2007

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
I thought this was a great ending for Miko's character. She was never really likable, but if you tried you could kind of see where she was coming from. Like others have said, I'm glad she didn't become a blackguard or live to continue plaguing the OotS, but I'm also glad she got the slightest glimmer of redemption there at the end.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I'm rereading the whole series now, and I just noticed something. Pompey, the evil 1/2 elf hired by the Linear Guild, wears the same robes as the Holey Brotherhood, who tried to use one of the Snarl's rifts for their own purposes. Just an observation.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm hoping Hinjo will hang out with the OOTS but I doubt it.

Shmafty posted:

Burlew has actually stated in the OOTS FAQ that he has an 'uncontrollable urge' to do this:
Yes that's why he's saying we should do it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vicissitude posted:

I'm rereading the whole series now, and I just noticed something. Pompey, the evil 1/2 elf hired by the Linear Guild, wears the same robes as the Holey Brotherhood, who tried to use one of the Snarl's rifts for their own purposes. Just an observation.

Do you have a link to a Holey Brotherhood strip? I must have completely missed that arc.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Schwarzwald posted:

Do you have a link to a Holey Brotherhood strip? I must have completely missed that arc.

It's less an arc then a panel.

Here

It also includes a throw away reference to Baron Pineapple; who I yearn, with fervent desire, to see in action.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah, it's just the one panel but the robes reminded me of Pompey, who we'd just seen recruited by Nale at Warthog's School.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Vicissitude posted:

Yeah, it's just the one panel but the robes reminded me of Pompey, who we'd just seen recruited by Nale at Warthog's School.

They were only similar to Pompey's in that they had a hood, the color scheme was totally different.

Also, the Holey Brotherhood wasn't actually harnessing the Snarl's latent power, I'm pretty sure. They just liked holes.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

They were only similar to Pompey's in that they had a hood, the color scheme was totally different.

Yeah, I noticed it in a later strip. Kinda similar.

quote:

Also, the Holey Brotherhood wasn't actually harnessing the Snarl's latent power, I'm pretty sure. They just liked holes.

Aside from the text blurb that says "So they went to each rift and defeated those that would use them for their own purposes?" I believe that implies that the Holey Brotherhood intended to use the rift(s) for their own purposes. If they were big on holes, a hole in the fabric of reality would surely appeal.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Vicissitude posted:

Yeah, I noticed it in a later strip. Kinda similar.

Aside from the text blurb that says "So they went to each rift and defeated those that would use them for their own purposes?" I believe that implies that the Holey Brotherhood intended to use the rift(s) for their own purposes. If they were big on holes, a hole in the fabric of reality would surely appeal.

I think you're reading into that way too much

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I love that "X"s appearing in people's eyes has become such a dramatic event. I mean, it makes perfect sense, but the build-up to this one was so great.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Despite what others have said, I really like Erfworld. I just wish it didn't update at a snail's pace.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Halloween Jack posted:

Despite what others have said, I really like Erfworld. I just wish it didn't update at a snail's pace.
I like where they're going with the story, and it's obvious that they put effort into the artwork and the writing, but my God man LAY OFF THE INTERNET REFERENCES. And I say that as a man who still grins whenever he sees an "All Your Base" photoshop.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think the update for yesterday is late because we aren't arguing over soemthing mundane. I think there's correlation there.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

greatn posted:

I think the update for yesterday is late because we aren't arguing over soemthing mundane. I think there's correlation there.

Wasn't yesterday's strip uploaded at 12:01 Wednesday? I'm not even sure where we're at anymore with Burlew's schedule, I think he's procrastinated so much the schedule is back to normal.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
Nope, "Monday's" strip is still the most recent. He's the laziest professional webcomic artist.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

KOraithER posted:

Nope, "Monday's" strip is still the most recent. He's the laziest professional webcomic artist.

You must not know about Mega Tokyo.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Robot Bastard posted:

By the Twelve Gods, can we not have the alignment discussion again? Please?

I'm actually not making an alignment argument. I figure even if she is Lawful Good, roy is hanging out in the part of that plane of existence with 'No Paladins or Ex-Paladins' on the door, kicking back drinks and chatting with the other badass non-jerk types.

Ununnilium
Oct 23, 2006

An imperfect duplicate of love

Lurdiak posted:

You know, there's a good chance she's going to a less than pleasant afterlife. Look how Soon danced around the issue of where exactly she was going, and the line about her horse "visiting" her.

To me, that felt more like "You're going to the afterlife, but you don't get to be a ghost-martyr, and your horse is going to be assigned to some other paladin."

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

UberJew posted:

I'm actually not making an alignment argument. I figure even if she is Lawful Good, roy is hanging out in the part of that plane of existence with 'No Paladins or Ex-Paladins' on the door, kicking back drinks and chatting with the other badass non-jerk types.

Why would the Ex-Paladins section be seperate from the Non-Paladins? Not-Paladin is Not-Paladin right?

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0465.html

The new comic RULES. I'm laughing so hard. Take that, Miko fans!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:siren: New Strip Is Up :siren:

Nice fakeout in the last three panels.

E:f, b, etc.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I hope she sticks around, Team Evil needs a Dwight.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

FMguru posted:

Nice fakeout in the last three panels.

More like "nice way to give the finger to a bunch of forum scrubs," if you ask me.

I like it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.
Indeed. Nice fakeout. Is anyone else hoping that she'll find Roy's corpse and animate him instead? Wouldn't that be so great?

E: No need for Spoiler Tags, I guess. Haha.

Iggy Johnson fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 15, 2007