Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

AstroZamboni posted:

That is straight fuckin' electric sex, right there.
I know, man. Something about those inlays... I think I want to learn to play the mandolin now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

DKWildz posted:

Been looking for a little while, but I think I've decided in the next week or so to pick up this:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom in Silverburst

When I was looking, I almost waited for this one. I got the black instead, and I love it. Good choice, though. It's a great guitar.

El Bi Ranchero
Feb 8, 2007

by Fistgrrl

DKWildz posted:

Been looking for a little while, but I think I've decided in the next week or so to pick up this:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom in Silverburst

the elusive silverburst. nice find.

Mr JinX
Jul 10, 2001

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

John 5 Tele

Ocular
Sep 20, 2005

I am currently saving up for BRATZ Forever diamonds set
I'm going to be purchasing a new guitar very soon, but I have no idea which one :sweatdrop:

I've played a number of years with some cheap models, as I was never really serious about it, but now I've gotten really into it and would like to get a nice quality guitar that will be "good enough" to record with, as I plan to get other equipment subsequent to this.

Here are some of the models I've been eying:

ESP LTD MH-1000

ESP LTD EC-1000

Schecter Hellraiser C-1

It was really between the LTDs until I noticed the Schecter and that it had great reviews. Although I mainly play metal I'm looking for a guitar that'll handle any tone with ease. I feel so out of the loop with this :blush:

El Bi Ranchero
Feb 8, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Ocular posted:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1

i must say, even though I dont like the way these look they really do play very well and sound great for how much they cost. Its massive bang for your buck

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Mr JinX posted:

John 5 Tele

Holy hell that's pretty.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Mr JinX posted:

John 5 Tele
C'mon, show us the headstock. :dong:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
My last birthday present to myself:

A Ampeg B-2RE head and B-410HE cab:

I got tired of having to be the guy who cranks his poo poo to compete with the others while we rehearse so I plonked down the cash for this. God I love this setup.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Agrikk posted:

I got tired of having to be the guy who cranks his poo poo to compete with the others while we rehearse so I plonked down the cash for this. God I love this setup.

Welcome to the club! I think I remember you asking about a rig setup... glad you went with this setup :)

I have a B2R and a BSE410H (along with my bse115) but from the late 90s. What you want to do now is save up for a BSE115 to throw underneath for your lows ;)

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Agrikk posted:

If you don't mind my asking, what did that head run you? My brother is looking to replace his decent, but beaten to hell and well-used, Gallien Krueger combo with something a little easier to transport (at least, lighter in pieces) and higher quality. He's mentioned a few times that he'd like to try a head/cab arrangement, which I think is a good idea, having carried that loving combo a few times for him.

If it helps (in terms of response, etc.) he usually plays either a Ken Smith fretless or an Alembic Essence 4, and tends to favor a fair amount of treble and mid (to the point of borrowing his girlfriend's guitar amplifier lately) in his tone.

Walter fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 12, 2007

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Walter posted:

If you don't mind my asking, what did that head run you? My brother is looking to replace his decent, but beaten to hell and well-used, Gallien Krueger combo with something a little easier to transport (at least, lighter in pieces) and higher quality. He's mentioned a few times that he'd like to try a head/cab arrangement, which I think is a good idea, having carried that loving combo a few times for him.

If it helps (in terms of response, etc.) he usually plays either a Ken Smith fretless or an Alembic Essence 4, and tends to favor a fair amount of treble and mid (to the point of borrowing his girlfriend's guitar amplifier lately) in his tone.

I can tell you one thing. My B2R is pretty drat bright. I cut my highs like crazy in the EQ.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Walter posted:

If you don't mind my asking, what did that head run you?

I bought them both as part of a package, so I can't tell you what each cost. With a 3-year coverage package, the whole shebang cost me $1400.

Like 3toes mentioned, the B-2 series runs pretty bright and the B-2RE is no exception. I like a growly, rough tone to my sound, which is why I went for a solid state amp and with a touch of gain, and a bit of scoop on the eq, I get a sweet, sweet sound. When I first bought it, I put some new strings on my bass and cranked it with wierd settings (all mid, all treble, etc) and the setup responded well. But if you like treble, the B-2RE is for you.

Looking at music123.com they're offering it for $579, and musiciansfriend.com is having a promo on a cab/head combo here for $1200

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 13, 2007

Hamer777
Jan 23, 2006

Ocular posted:

Here are some of the models I've been eying:

I would advise against getting anything with a floyd rose simply because you have no freedom with it. you have to keep the same string gauge if you change your own strings. if you want to change tuning good luck setting it up by yourself, thats $50 out of your pocket to drop tune. I actually have an ESP Eclipse and its great, I also have an Ibanez RG1570 that i love, but the bridge is only fun for so long, then its a pain. I would suggest either the LTD EC1000 or a Schecter Hellraiser with the string thru body.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
I was able to get this for a cool $1000: Ampeg SVT-810E!

Soon I'm going to get my finances together for an SVT-IV pro head with a rack case, and it will be good.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Ocular posted:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1

Definitely get this. I own one and it is an absolutely beast, but a beauty to play. I've heard some rather iffy things about the construction builds on some LTD's, you gotta play the exact one you might by, for some aren't made too well. Schecter Hellraisers, on the other hand, seem to be always consistent in their quality.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Gorewar posted:

Soon I'm going to get my finances together for an SVT-IV pro head with a rack case, and it will be good.

Yeah that's about the norm for that cabinet. The only problem is that now you have to hire someone to carry it around for you :)

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

Ordered this not 10 minutes ago...

...along with some other stuff...

I still need to order the pickups."DiMarzio Air Norton" for the neck position, and a "DiMarzio Tone Zone" for the bridge position.

The neck (when I order it) will be all AAA Birdseye Maple, 10"/16" Compound Radius fingerboard, Wolfgang Back profile, and 6105 frets.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

LOO posted:

...and 6105 frets.
I know you don't mean it this way, but picturing it literally is fun.

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

I know you don't mean it this way, but picturing it literally is fun.

Yes that would be quite a crowded neck.

Actually, "6105" refers to the fret size.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

LOO posted:

Ordered this not 10 minutes ago...

...along with some other stuff...

I still need to order the pickups."DiMarzio Air Norton" for the neck position, and a "DiMarzio Tone Zone" for the bridge position.

The neck (when I order it) will be all AAA Birdseye Maple, 10"/16" Compound Radius fingerboard, Wolfgang Back profile, and 6105 frets.

This thing is going to be loving gorgeous when it's built, black hardware looks so sexy on orange/red based guitars.

Ocular
Sep 20, 2005

The Dark Wind posted:

Definitely get this. I own one and it is an absolutely beast, but a beauty to play. I've heard some rather iffy things about the construction builds on some LTD's, you gotta play the exact one you might by, for some aren't made too well. Schecter Hellraisers, on the other hand, seem to be always consistent in their quality.

Awesome, thanks plenty to you and others who gave me some advice. I'll most likely be picking up the Schecter without the floyd rose. Thanks again!

fake edit: one of the cheaper models I currently own is actually a lower end model of the MH-1000 and has a floyd rose. I definitely find it more of a hassle, and I don't think I'd miss it at all.

Ghostpilots
Sep 24, 2004

Vigilant Sidekick

Gorewar posted:

You're a loving bitch for having one of those :mad:

That and an SVT-CL are my dream rig

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!

Ocular posted:

Awesome, thanks plenty to you and others who gave me some advice. I'll most likely be picking up the Schecter without the floyd rose. Thanks again!

fake edit: one of the cheaper models I currently own is actually a lower end model of the MH-1000 and has a floyd rose. I definitely find it more of a hassle, and I don't think I'd miss it at all.

but the EC1K looks so much cooler and has a fixed bridge. are you sure? :)

(i've never played any of these guitars, just admiring the pictures)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Woohoo, finally picked up an Aguilar DB750 for *cheap!* :D

Of course that means that my DB680, DB728, and AG500 are on the way out, but I don't need that many amps anyways right? :smith:

Now I just need to decide if keeping my GS412 is the best thing or if I should get another GS212. I'm trying to pare down to one amp with a modular speaker setup and I think just having a pair of GS212's would make the most sense but god drat is the GS412 awesome.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Went from this:

to this

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
I purchased one of my dream guitars last night: a Danelectro U2 reissue from the 90s.

It was a pretty modest dream, admittedly. :unsmith:

Mind the bad lighting conditions, a major thunderstorm is gearing up.

It's in Malt Shop Cream. I'd rather have gotten one of the burst colors, like the aqua burst, but I like the cream. The tape that goes around the body of the guitar is missing, so it looks more like a Danelectro 56 Pro U2 than a normal reissue.

Best part was the price: $100, picked up locally.

Ocular
Sep 20, 2005

Evil the Cat posted:

but the EC1K looks so much cooler and has a fixed bridge. are you sure? :)

(i've never played any of these guitars, just admiring the pictures)

It was actually my first choice, and admittedly I'm still thinking about it.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

3toes posted:

Yeah that's about the norm for that cabinet. The only problem is that now you have to hire someone to carry it around for you :)
Ahh the good ol' 810. Man I'm glad I'm not in a band with a bass player that owns one of these anymore. :D Moving it up and down 2 flights of stairs for shows loving suuuuuuuuuucked.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Gorewar posted:

What do bassists or guitar players ever need such a huge cabinet for?
I just don't understand how such a thing could be feasonable. If you play on a big stage you will not need it because you are playing DI into PA and monitors and on a small stage it is too loud?

Clarify please.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
what does "too loud" mean?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Boner Slam posted:

If you play on a big stage you will not need it because you are playing DI into PA and monitors and on a small stage it is too loud?

Clarify please.
I've never played with a bass player who DI's on stage. We always mic those bad boys no matter how big it is.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Boner Slam posted:

What do bassists or guitar players ever need such a huge cabinet for?
I just don't understand how such a thing could be feasonable. If you play on a big stage you will not need it because you are playing DI into PA and monitors and on a small stage it is too loud?

Clarify please.
In the old days when "PA system" meant "guy with a megaphone telling people not to eat the brown acid," yeah, you needed a huge cab to play a big room or stadium. Nowadays, you can certainly get by just going direct, but playing through a real live actual amp just always feels better. And a bigass cab just always feels even more... better.

I'd take a 1x15 & 4x10 over an 8x10 monolith, though. :butt:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Uncle Caveman posted:

It all depends on the sound you want. I like the 1x15+4x10 as well, but a lot of my influences use the 8x10.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I like it too, but 2 halves are easier to manage than one whole. Plus I have a boner for 15" cooones.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Just ordered this:

Nady RSM-3 Ribbon mic. I've never used a ribbon, and it's the stupid deal of the day at less than half normal price, so I thought I'd try it out. Can't wait for it to get here.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Uncle Caveman posted:

In the old days when "PA system" meant "guy with a megaphone telling people not to eat the brown acid," yeah, you needed a huge cab to play a big room or stadium. Nowadays, you can certainly get by just going direct, but playing through a real live actual amp just always feels better. And a bigass cab just always feels even more... better.

Yeah, even on a big stage I need to have that rumble behind me, and the bigger the stage the bigger the cab.

Personally I like 4x12's more than 8x10's though. :)

Jobless Drunk
Aug 6, 2004

One summer evening drunk to hell I sat there nearly lifeless

My second analog synth. No MIDI, but the fat sounds should make up for it.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

warwick5s posted:

Yeah, even on a big stage I need to have that rumble behind me, and the bigger the stage the bigger the cab.

Personally I like 4x12's more than 8x10's though. :)

I never understood that.
Usually you will have your bass cab situated near you and also one or two monitors and sidefills even. A louder cab just means more of that "rumble" that sound good four yards from the cones will go to the audience 10 yards away, where it will combine with the PA and sound like poo poo. The cab needs to be exactly so loud that the bassist can hear enough from it (combined with other monitor sources).
If you wan't to mic a cab, there is not reason to have more than one cone - you close mic a cab in a live situation anyway.
But who mics the bass cab, jesus christ :colbert:
Amp sim in the rack is how it's done nowadays, I mean it doesn't mean there is no cab on stage.

I guess it's a feel thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha
Can anyone please tell me again the name of that website that sells a different thing every day for cheap? I always forget to bookmark it and now I can't find it.