Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot
aventari-

That bike's looks grow on me everytime I look at it. The exhaust and rear shock just do something right, to my eyes at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swiper
Mar 30, 2004
oh noes!11
I'm looking into getting my motorcycle endorsement here in Michigan, can anyone give me a ballpark figure on how much this is going to run me? My past experience with motorcycles is two years riding my 50cc moped (around 4 months each year, daily driver) and some hours on different dirtbikes.

Thanks in advance.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

Swiper posted:

I'm looking into getting my motorcycle endorsement here in Michigan, can anyone give me a ballpark figure on how much this is going to run me? My past experience with motorcycles is two years riding my 50cc moped (around 4 months each year, daily driver) and some hours on different dirtbikes.

Thanks in advance.

This question probably should have been asked in the megathread, but as a fellow Michigan resident, I'll bite.

You have two options.

1. Find an MSF class. (Recommended) Depending on who is hosting the course, you could pay as little as $25 or as much as $300. Pass the course, take your certificate to the secretary of state office and voila, you've got a motorcycle endorsement.

http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?pagename=RiderCourse%20Info

2. Go to your local secretary of state office, pay 8 bucks and take a very basic written test (15 or 20 questions, I forget) to get your learners permit. Then pay 35 or so bucks for an independant road test, which consists of riding around a few cones in a parking lot. However, this will require having access to a bike.

I did it this way only because all the MSF courses in my area were full. I bought some books and read up on theory, and supplemented it with a lot of parking lot practice before I ventured out on the streets. I'd like to think of myself as a competant rider, but I have no doubt the MSF would have been beneficial. In fact, I'd like to take the advanced course at some point.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Spanish Criminal Taken Down

Should have worn gear.

[working title]
Dec 7, 2004
Aaargh!
http://www.break.com/index/bike-towing-dog-on-highway.html

No gear, flips flops and a dog on a trailer :wtc:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
that dog is having the time of his life.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Turtle Parlor posted:

aventari-

That bike's looks grow on me everytime I look at it. The exhaust and rear shock just do something right, to my eyes at least.

Flame me if you want, but Kawasaki needs to come out with a 1000cc version. I'd go green again for that.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game

Saukkis posted:

Should have worn gear.

Christ, I've got little sympathy for junkies, but actually hitting him with a car seems kind of excessive.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

Kagari Mafia Ringleader and ray tracing EXPERT

aventari posted:

Installed rear spools, tank guard and Akrapovic exhaust yesterday and washed and waxed the bike today. So picture time!

Do you know if they have hardbag options for that bike yet?

And include me in the group who would like to see a 1000cc version (or Versys in the U.S.).

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Konrad posted:

Christ, I've got little sympathy for junkies, but actually hitting him with a car seems kind of excessive.

I agree. That was just a sickening display of police brutality. What reason is there to cost the state thousands in medical bills just so you can catch someone five minutes earlier?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Saukkis posted:

Should have worn gear.

In a similar vein:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eFRAkjOoEXQ
Though less done on purpose this time. Motorcycle vs car accidents really result in Havok physics levels of rag doll effects.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

How the Triumph Rocket III is built.

AKA Look Around You, Episode 41: Motorbikes

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

Konrad posted:

It doesn't look like a police car - the police car at the end is white, the car he's hit with is black.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

ranathari posted:

It doesn't look like a police car - the police car at the end is white, the car he's hit with is black.
They said it was an unmarked police car. I doubt they would have let civilian cars on the area.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
As I left work today on my SV, I noticed the bike was handling a little squishy, so I rode to a gas station to get some air. To get there I had to go on a pretty fast road and I reached at least 65 MPH. As I bent over to get to the valve, I saw this:

I have no clue how that fucker managed to stay on a wheel spinning at 65 MPH. He was big too, about 2.5" across the legs. I just left him where he was, filled my tires and continued on my way. When I arrived at my next destination, 30 miles later, he was gone.

Now I'm all paranoid that I have a colony of these living in my fairing just waiting to swarm out at me when the time is right.

Lawn
Jan 15, 2004

Positive Paul!
You filled your tires with air with that thing only inches away from the valve? Christ almighty.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Konrad posted:

As I left work today on my SV, I noticed the bike was handling a little squishy, so I rode to a gas station to get some air. To get there I had to go on a pretty fast road and I reached at least 65 MPH. As I bent over to get to the valve, I saw this:

I have no clue how that fucker managed to stay on a wheel spinning at 65 MPH. He was big too, about 2.5" across the legs. I just left him where he was, filled my tires and continued on my way. When I arrived at my next destination, 30 miles later, he was gone.

Now I'm all paranoid that I have a colony of these living in my fairing just waiting to swarm out at me when the time is right.

After going through all that I would've put the poor guy in bug-filled field. (with my gloves on!) That is one bad rear end spider.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

rope kid posted:

How the Triumph Rocket III is built.

AKA Look Around You, Episode 41: Motorbikes

I always wondered how they were made. So it's British Comedy instead of Japanese Black Magic that they use.. Interesting..

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

open24hours posted:

I agree. That was just a sickening display of police brutality. What reason is there to cost the state thousands in medical bills just so you can catch someone five minutes earlier?
He said he had a hand grenade.

Tap
Apr 12, 2003

Note to self: Do not shove foreign objects in mouth.
Pics of my new bike:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

MY XS400 cleans up nice an' purdy.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I see your XS400 and raise you my Copasaki:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

HOVER BIKE!

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST
Sweetest bike EVER

bung
Dec 14, 2004

:awesome: Sweetest Ducati ever! :awesome:

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

orinth posted:

Sweetest bike EVER

If you want just a straight line drag bike, why would you get a 600 :confused:

shoafer0
Jan 26, 2004

meh

iroc_dis posted:

For an extra $300 you can get a bolt on 30-shot of nitrous. I'm sure that'd be pretty fun.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

iroc_dis posted:

or put a stunt cage on it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

bung posted:

:awesome: Sweetest Ducati ever! :awesome:

FATAZZ L@@K

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Police motorcycle competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ByZ4Z4_fY

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

rope kid posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ByZ4Z4_fY
Do US cops use other bikes than Harleys?

And I have to say, I don't approve the gear they are wearing. :colbert:

RC212V
Nov 17, 2006

by Eris Is Goddess
The cops around here use BMWs sport tourers, which I think is pretty neat. I saw one on an FJR1300 once I think.

Lawn
Jan 15, 2004

Positive Paul!
In San Diego they have BMW's too. Don't forget the Hayabusa's in Oklahoma that were posted somewhere here before:

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2006/05/25/suzuki-hayabusa-police-interceptor/

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

Saukkis posted:

And I have to say, I don't approve the gear they are wearing. :colbert:

I know a few departments use to use Kawasaki's, but I think most have moved to BMW's. I know one local department has some Hondas.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

rope kid posted:

This is really amazing. I feel like an rear end for bitching about the figure eight box at MSF now. Bonus points for the Crue too.

Edit: Here in California some of the older CHP guys still ride Harleys, but most of them ride BMWs now. Not sure if its personal choice or what.

poopzilla fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 18, 2007

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Saukkis posted:

In South Carolina its mainly Harleys, but theres starting to be more metric bikes like the FJR1300/ST1300 and a few different BMWs

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This Wakan is my new favorite bike.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Bob Morales posted:

That looks terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Whats going on with the 2-1-2 exhaust :psyduck: