Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Earwicker posted:

It is overblown to some degree, but a lot of the "its unaffordable!" talk comes from people who are bent on becoming a homeowner and are approaching things from that angle. If you plan on renting an apartment its really not that bad, if you plan on owning property within SF that's another story.

Yeah, it's too expensive to become a homeowner here. I doubt I will ever, ever be able to even approach owning a home in the bay area which is depressing because it's something that's important to me; I hate the idea of renting for life! So in that way the "unaffordable" stuff does make sense.

But yes, things are just at tiny bit more expensive here. Not so much that it seems like it's immediately bad but it does add up. I also do not know why anyone would/could bother with a car here; with gas prices and parking it seems like it would be such a pain in the rear end. I would hate driving here anyway, and I used to love driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma
I don't know, owning a home IN san francisco is bank, but east bay or south city is mad cheap sometimes. My feeling is, by the time I want to put down on a house, I'll already have a car and have my poo poo together, so commuting won't be so bad.

Either way, I'm not trying to buy a house for a drat long time anyway. And I don't want a car. So whatever.

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002
So I am borrowing a car from my buddy for the week and will not need to use it for a couple days this week. I live in the inner Richmond district, actually on the corner of California and 3rd Ave. I just parked the car but noticed that I only have 2 hours to park the car till 6pm, then it is unlimited till 9am.... Um what am I going to do? Am I going to have to find a parking spot every 2 hours this week?!

Does anyone know where there might be parking with no time limit that is close to me?

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

PrettyhateM posted:

So I am borrowing a car from my buddy for the week and will not need to use it for a couple days this week. I live in the inner Richmond district, actually on the corner of California and 3rd Ave. I just parked the car but noticed that I only have 2 hours to park the car till 6pm, then it is unlimited till 9am.... Um what am I going to do? Am I going to have to find a parking spot every 2 hours this week?!

Does anyone know where there might be parking with no time limit that is close to me?

My friend lives on 3rd and Geary and I think a lot of the street was unlimited. Could be totally wrong, but for some reason I remember right around Geary having no time limit. Try looking further up on 3rd

Eckelberry
Jul 8, 2006

Welcome to K-Ville. Population: You

PrettyhateM posted:

Park in the outer Richmond - go on the other side of Park Presidio (west of you), and you'll find more parking unlimited spots I think.

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002

JohnnyRed posted:

My friend lives on 3rd and Geary and I think a lot of the street was unlimited. Could be totally wrong, but for some reason I remember right around Geary having no time limit. Try looking further up on 3rd

Eckelberry posted:

Park in the outer Richmond - go on the other side of Park Presidio (west of you), and you'll find more parking unlimited spots I think.

Cool thanks guys, tomorrow I will go parking spot shopping!

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
Is there anyway to get a bicycle between the East Bay and the city besides bus/BART? Do the buses run all night, and how reliable are they?

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

Grigori Rasputin posted:

Is there anyway to get a bicycle between the East Bay and the city besides bus/BART? Do the buses run all night, and how reliable are they?

Nope. The new Oakland bridge was going to have bike paths; then they decided to only make a one-way bike path; then I heard they nixed it altogether.

There are 24 hour buses between the locations, but I've not ridden them and so have no comment.

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

Grigori Rasputin posted:

I'll be in this same boat starting next month. There's a bunch of transbay busses that run all night, but it totally depends on where you need to go. Look up the schedules on AC transit or 511.org Or I might just do it myself in a minute!

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Sabacc posted:

There are 24 hour buses between the locations, but I've not ridden them and so have no comment.
Really? I thought there were shuttles across the bay bridge during rush hour only.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

PrettyhateM posted:

Cool thanks guys, tomorrow I will go parking spot shopping!

You don't need to go all the way to the Outer Richmond, there's unlimited parking in the lower avenues everywhere between Geary and Fulton. The only thing you have to worry about is street sweeping.

nyquil
May 1, 2003

I'll be commuting to the Civic Center next year for school and I really don't want to drive. I'll definitely be taking BART, but I was wondering if there was a cheaper way of going about it. Is there a student discount? Can I just get my senior citizen dad to buy one of those senior citizen passes? That's kind of dick, but $3.15 every day sucks :(

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

nyquil posted:

I'll be commuting to the Civic Center next year for school and I really don't want to drive. I'll definitely be taking BART, but I was wondering if there was a cheaper way of going about it. Is there a student discount? Can I just get my senior citizen dad to buy one of those senior citizen passes? That's kind of dick, but $3.15 every day sucks :(

Get a fastpass for $45/month it works on both BART and Muni. I get commuter checks from my work so its free, I don't know if there's an equivilent for students but its possible your school might have some kind of deal, I'd ask your school's administrators about it.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

PrettyhateM posted:

I think there's some parking available around balboa/anza/geary & park presidio. Definitely check on the other side of geary. I'm also trying to remember if there's a limit on the parking that's available on Geary and Arguello- you know, right by the Wells Fargo and Office Max. My boyfriend's old neighbors right by there have a loving limo that they leave sitting around there for days at a time so I bet you'll find a spot. Then you can kick the limo for me. I'll be out there later on this afternoon when I stop by my boyfriend's old place so I'll check around. But yeah, parking around clement or california is a bitch. Go to the other side of Geary up by Anza and so on and you're in a better spot.

Do you still work at the genius bar downtown? I was there last week just in time for a goddamn fire alarm. The firemen were happy; I think I overheard one say it was the 3rd call out there that week. Oops! Usually when I'm there they have me make an appointment though no one's around, last week it seemed you actually needed one. I waited a long time. :(

nyquil, some schools do offer muni passes. But yeah, the $45 pass works for muni and for BART within SF----- so that means if you're just going from one station to another in SF you're safe but you can't use it if you want to go from the civic center to oakland.

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002

Ozma posted:

Do you still work at the genius bar downtown? I was there last week just in time for a goddamn fire alarm. The firemen were happy; I think I overheard one say it was the 3rd call out there that week. Oops! Usually when I'm there they have me make an appointment though no one's around, last week it seemed you actually needed one. I waited a long time. :(

Yeah I was there for 3 of the 4 times the alarm went off. Apparently our air conditioner is getting some nesting from pigeons and is setting off the alarm or something.

Did you get in just before or after the alarm went off? I probably helped you out myself if it was a mac issue.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

PrettyhateM posted:

Did you get in just before or after the alarm went off? I probably helped you out myself if it was a mac issue.
I was after the alarm went off. In fact, if I remember the way you look I think it may well have been you only you have shaggier hair now.
If it was you I appreciate you not acting as though you had no idea what was going on; I've gotten that before but whoever helped me last week was decent.

edit again: though the whole deal probably won't work out well for me; there's obviously a big problem with my battery since it died out of nowhere (went from full charge to crisis) but since it's a consumable my applecare won't cover it.

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

nyquil posted:

http://www.bart.gov/tickets/sales/onlineOrdering.asp

I buy three green senior citizen cards...it sucks because you have to be extra careful but I agree that it is too drat expensive otherwise. The one time I got caught I played the dumb tourist route ("a man outside sold it to me for cheap! :(", and they just took my card away (no ticket).

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Grigori Rasputin posted:

You can ride across the Dumbarton - that's convenient, right?

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Sabacc posted:

I buy three green senior citizen cards...it sucks because you have to be extra careful but I agree that it is too drat expensive otherwise. The one time I got caught I played the dumb tourist route ("a man outside sold it to me for cheap! :(", and they just took my card away (no ticket).
How did you get caught, exactly? Was it just a security guy looking at the faregates?

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO

Twinxor posted:

Bummer.

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002

Ozma posted:

I was after the alarm went off. In fact, if I remember the way you look I think it may well have been you only you have shaggier hair now.
If it was you I appreciate you not acting as though you had no idea what was going on; I've gotten that before but whoever helped me last week was decent.

edit again: though the whole deal probably won't work out well for me; there's obviously a big problem with my battery since it died out of nowhere (went from full charge to crisis) but since it's a consumable my applecare won't cover it.

Yeah that was me, I dont remember what issues your were having. Yeah and I have to cut my hair this week. I have the next two weeks of training in cupertino and I am sure I will get some looks.

I am sorry for derailing a bit here.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

PrettyhateM posted:

I am sorry for derailing a bit here.

It's half actual info and half me shooting the breeze with SF people and completely derailing decent conversation. Abuse of admin authority, oops. I'm too chitchatty.

You were really busy that night so you probably wouldn't remember me anyway, not unless you're good at remembering fat girls in unicorn shirts. ;)

Sabacc, I'm curious about how you finally got caught too. Was someone actually in one of the nearby booths that day or what? Otherwise I don't see you getting caught.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Grigori Rasputin posted:

Bummer.

Yeah, I don't know what the gently caress. The San Rafael, Bay, and San Mateo bridges are all bikeless, and there's really no reason for it.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Okay, serious loving question for anyone who's ever been towed in the SF city limits...

how much did it cost you?

I just paid $225 for a tow today. It was a scooter. I can understand if a hummer gets towed, it'll be expensive or whatever. This is a 49cc scooter that two guys with a pickup can steal off any street corner and I'm pretty loving pissed off about it.

I've just been through a whole lot of bullshit in the last 2 days with license and registration (or lack of proof of to be specific) and my poo poo got impounded with no remorse and for $100 worth of violations (which are all going to be dismissed) I'm STILL stuck with 425 motherfucking dollars worth of associated bullshit in regards to the towing/impound process. I'm a little more than pissed and the first problem I have is that I've had cars towed 30+ miles in the middle of nowhere that had to be dragged on a flatbed truck, and that cost me $50. Somehow towing a SCOOTER cost me $180+impound fees. I don't understand it, and I can't imagine that it costs that much to tow any vehicle in the city, much less a tiny scooter.

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.

nyquil posted:

What school are you going to, if I might ask? My school is also in the Civic Center.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Telex posted:

Okay, serious loving question for anyone who's ever been towed in the SF city limits...

how much did it cost you?

I just paid $225 for a tow today. It was a scooter. I can understand if a hummer gets towed, it'll be expensive or whatever. This is a 49cc scooter that two guys with a pickup can steal off any street corner and I'm pretty loving pissed off about it.

I imagine that they make no distinction between scooter and car when towing; it sounds stupid but I imagine the justification is that it still requires people going out to mess with it.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/07/BAGM9O03QG1.DTL

quote:

Wednesday, February 7, 2007

The bad news for San Francisco drivers who get their cars towed is that the city charges $188.25 to retrieve a vehicle. The worse news is that it may soon cost $50.50 more.

Officials with the Municipal Transportation Agency, which oversees the Municipal Railway and the Department of Parking and Traffic, presented their latest proposal Tuesday to erase a projected $11 million deficit. Among other things, the plan would raise tow fees and the cost to park in city-owned garages.

So again, right or wrong, I guess you're paying above and beyond the actual cost to move and are in fact paying something that must be punitive as well.

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

How did you get caught, exactly? Was it just a security guy looking at the faregates?

Ozma posted:

Sabacc, I'm curious about how you finally got caught too. Was someone actually in one of the nearby booths that day or what? Otherwise I don't see you getting caught.

It was one of my first times trying the method. I had foolishly just pulled the card out and put it in the feeder, then pulled it out, all very easily. I guess the color caught the attendant's eye and he called me over.

I've had a theory that when you put the card into the machine, it registers on the computer as a "senior citizen," allowing the guard to look up and see who is walking through. I've never been able to prove it though, since they never look up.

What I do now is pull the card out at the last possible moment, then cup my hand so that nothing is visible. Put the card in, then immediately put my hand to the exit slot to pull it out quickly. Sometimes (and this is where I get really paranoid) I'll walk alongside a senior citizen in case the card does register. I've also got a spare blue card in my wallet, just in case they ask to look at my card one day and I can blame it on a broken machine.

...Wow, I sound like a crazy cheapskate.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Sabacc posted:

...Wow, I sound like a crazy cheapskate.

Haha, but BART can get pricey!

So what's the deal on this $5.00 BART ticket giveaway? I saw a scrawl about it on the news this morning but they were too busy pimping some concert to explain anything else in detail.

nyquil
May 1, 2003

DimpledChad posted:

What school are you going to, if I might ask? My school is also in the Civic Center.

SFCM. I was gonna go to New York, but I can't afford 45k a year in tuition. SF is way cooler than New York anyways :colbert: Plus I get to take from an ex-Kronos quartet member, which is pretty rad

You mentioned you go there in some other thread. How's the new building and stuff? Is it pretty easy to find a practice room whenever? I know with the last one it was kind of hard. Plus it looked like a hospital so it was kind of depressing.

I'll definitely be getting the senior card now though. Maybe I'll just buy the red card and carry a cane with me. On the days I forget my cane, I can just say I'm 12.

nyquil fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 21, 2007

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!

Twinxor posted:

Hah, I actually biked over the Dumbarton last weekend. It was kind of fun - I was going from Mountain View to a friend's BBQ in Fremont. The bike path on the bridge goes through a wildlife preserve on the Fremont side. It wasn't a bad ride, about 17 miles or so, but yeah it's not really feasible for commuting. I guess you could cross the bridge and jump on Caltrain in Palo Alto, which wouldn't be so bad if you lived near the bridge.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Ozma posted:

So again, right or wrong, I guess you're paying above and beyond the actual cost to move and are in fact paying something that must be punitive as well.

Lovely.

In addition to the towing place's fees, it costs $194 just to get the release form from the city. So, a grand total of $400+ to get my scooter back after being a total moron and driving with an expired tag, not having proof of insurance, proof of registration or a license. (then there were the associated fees involved with getting all of THAT stuff fixed...).

don't gently caress up with a vehicle here, the city has no mercy. It's like I've been hosed 3 times for the same screwup. (none of which is an impoundable offense if I was smart enough to have put my info back in the stupid scooter rather than leaving it at home after it got wet once, awesome.)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Telex posted:

don't gently caress up with a vehicle here, the city has no mercy.

Very true. My boyfriend is having a heckuva time fighting the city on a parking ticket; he blocked the driveway of my old apartment for less than 10 minutes while we moved the cat out (no street parking available that day and no way in hell I could hold a cat for a walk a couple blocks away to where he COULD park). They were in such a rush to write the ticket before we came back out that they didn't even fill out all the info on it but they're still making him pay. ;)

Sucks.

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma
I parked on a street that had seemingly no slope, and when I came back 20 mins later literally every car on the block each had $35 tickets for not curbing the wheels. Apparently anything more than a 3% slope needs wheel curbing, but all 10 of us thought the street was even enough to not worry about it. Godammit

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

JohnnyRed posted:

I parked on a street that had seemingly no slope, and when I came back 20 mins later literally every car on the block each had $35 tickets for not curbing the wheels. Apparently anything more than a 3% slope needs wheel curbing, but all 10 of us thought the street was even enough to not worry about it. Godammit

Oh yeah, I think my boyfriend's been busted for that before!

They try really hard to ticket people. I find it curious, though, that when I DO need them they're not around.

My current landlord blocks our driveway every day of the week and has yet to receive a ticket. Go figure.

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

JohnnyRed posted:

Yeah, was this out on Hermman? I had friends from L.A. visiting and I was livid along with them. It's loving ridiculous.

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

Sabacc posted:

Yeah, was this out on Hermman? I had friends from L.A. visiting and I was livid along with them. It's loving ridiculous.

No it was off Sansome. They do this all over the place though. Cops need to make quota with tickets, and almost ANY street can be considered over 3% grade.

nyquil
May 1, 2003

Berkeley is pretty bad about tickets too. Mostly they just hide in residential areas and try to bust you on stop signs. None of that curb poo poo, though, that's ridiculous.

Dude I can't even remember what you're supposed to do. If you're faced downhill, you turn the wheels into the curb, uphill away from the curb? I don't even know if that's right.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

JohnnyRed posted:

No it was off Sansome. They do this all over the place though. Cops need to make quota with tickets, and almost ANY street can be considered over 3% grade.

You think its bad here, wait till you move to Oakland and get mystery tickets in the mail that "the wind must have blown off your car" but you have to pay anyway unless you want to go to the police admin. building downtown and I really do not recommend ever visiting that place.

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

nyquil posted:

Berkeley is pretty bad about tickets too. Mostly they just hide in residential areas and try to bust you on stop signs. None of that curb poo poo, though, that's ridiculous.

Dude I can't even remember what you're supposed to do. If you're faced downhill, you turn the wheels into the curb, uphill away from the curb? I don't even know if that's right.

Yes it is. The easy way to remember is if you're facing downhill and your wheels are turned to the curb, you'll roll right into the sidewalk if your modern car with anti-lock brakes loses its grip somehow.

As for uphill, the opposite -- away. I have yet to picture in my head how this helps the car if it rolls down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma
I don't even have a car. I just borrow my dad's every now and then when I need to move poo poo or get to a far-away show, something like that. I get tickets a LOT though, for not even owning a car.

BART parking tickets, street cleaning (AFTER the posted hours though!!), all the drat time. It's how the city makes money. That and the ridiculous parking meter rates! Quarter gets you 10 minutes??

Sabacc posted:

As for uphill, the opposite -- away. I have yet to picture in my head how this helps the car if it rolls down.

If the grade isn't too steep, your car will just bump into the curb and chill there. In theory.

• Locked thread