Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Disharmony posted:

I'm not sure if these are all movies but meh. I remember seeing a commercial back in 93' when I was 8 that scared the poo poo out of me (and I blacklisted that channel temporarily out of fear) and it was basically a montage of extremely violent scenes under the pretext that making your children watch it would make them grow evil. Some of the scenes off the top of my head were:

- A close-up of a guy's face with a grenade in his mouth, it explodes and we see a momentary silhouette of his skull through the yellow flash.

This is probably "Wanted Dead or Alive" with Rutger Hauer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Alan Smithee posted:

Now for my ID: so I caught the last leg of this movie, basically there's a flashback sequence where a woman is at a soiree with a masked don juan type who she sorta falls for. Later in present day masked don juan turns out to be a badly scarred (facial burns and so forth) psycopath. He kidnaps her and takes her on a boat ride down a river, sending our good guy down another boat which explodes (though good guy gets off in time). She doesn't know this and freaks out, psycho asks her to marry him and she feins interest but then gives him like a gently caress-off slap. Now he's into "I will have you by force!" mode but good guy shows up in time to shoot him with a flare gun. It was a tv version so i think they cut out him actually getting shot

To me this sounds a lot like "Deadly Game".

The bad guy had facial scarring which he covered up with a phantom of the opera type mask. The people on the island all crossed this guy at one time and they are being chased by killers while trying to escape the island. There is a lot of story telling via flashback in this movie.

From the description you have given, I am pretty sure it is the movie you are on about.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

This has been bugging me for years.

Sometime in, oh, say, the late 80's, I saw a sci-fi movie on tv that I can't seem to identify. Based on what I remember of the aesthetics and cinematography, the movie was most likely made in the 80's, late 70's at the earliest. I don't have a plot, just impressions of various scenes and the overall mood:

-a large bulk of the movie takes place aboard a spaceship, where the crew wear fairly realistic dark-coloured uniforms, and the ship itself is fairly gritty/realistic looking as well. More like 2001 or Alien than Flash Gordon. For a long time I thought I was thinking of The Black Hole, but when I actually watched it, I realized it was all wrong because in the film I'm thinking about, the colour palette is quite muted, mostly blacks and greys.

-the tone of the whole thing is fairly dark, there's a sense that the crew will fail on the mission and there are lots of lingering moody shots of the ship gliding past the camera

-a central part of the movie seems to be some kind of communication between the crew of the ship and people elsewhere, possibly earth, about an impending disaster. the ship is on some kind of mission vital to stopping the sun eploding/a black hole/some kind of cosmic disaster

-another significant portion of the movie takes place on a planet, with people from the ship interacting with people on the planet. The ship people are either fighting with or trying to convince the people on the planet to help them in some way. The people on the planet are sort of wild and uncivilized, and the sets on the planet look vaguely like industrial/construction sites.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

nemesis_hub posted:

-a central part of the movie seems to be some kind of communication between the crew of the ship and people elsewhere, possibly earth, about an impending disaster. the ship is on some kind of mission vital to stopping the sun eploding/a black hole/some kind of cosmic disaster

-another significant portion of the movie takes place on a planet, with people from the ship interacting with people on the planet. The ship people are either fighting with or trying to convince the people on the planet to help them in some way. The people on the planet are sort of wild and uncivilized, and the sets on the planet look vaguely like industrial/construction sites.

This makes me think Earthstar Voyager, although I don't remember it being that muted or gray. I can't find any screen shots, unfortunately.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Speaking of scifi from way back, I caught a clip of a movie on Starz years ago, I would say it's about 70s/early 80s. Anyway so this guy's on a spaceship, he's got the crazy oldschool hair and looking out a window, I think he was in a kitchen, and you see a big ol American flag draped on the side which kinda suprised me because I can't recall any scifi space shows that suggest the USA still exists as a nation rather than becoming some consolidated Federation or United Earth Something or Other

2nd ID: So I saw this on a bus I would say late 90s, a tour bus in europe (but it's an American movie). So it goes like this. The main character is this young boy, he lives in a typical nuclear family but his dad dies (believe it's cuz of cancer) so it's his single mom trying to raise him and his older brother. I think they move to Baltimore (or she suggests they should). She meets a guy who plays weird music in an orchestra of sorts. At one point they are making out and her nose bleeds and she goes home and the older brother is like "what did he do?!? I'll beat him up!!!"

Later the little brother is being a jackass and when the older brother gets on the elevator he presses all the buttons, and this girl comes along the elevator so the older brother feels like an rear end and apologizes to her and she's like "why do you care what I think" and they basically hook up (I think she takes weird pictures of him, like an x-ray almost and she's like "well if still like each other we can make love")

The little brother has this "best" friend whom they both buy lottery tickets together. The best friend wins the lottery and our boy is like "but you said we'd split it!" and the "friend" is all like "no dude we said we'd split tickets" (yeah that makes a lot of loving sense, I'll get 1 of hundred-millionth chance of winning and you get the other!) so basically he's stuck being middle class boo hoo. The movie ends with the whole lot at a public pool and the mom is trying to put on her life vest and the older brother's gf gestures that she put it on backwards.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Alan Smithee posted:

Speaking of scifi from way back, I caught a clip of a movie on Starz years ago, I would say it's about 70s/early 80s. Anyway so this guy's on a spaceship, he's got the crazy oldschool hair and looking out a window, I think he was in a kitchen, and you see a big ol American flag draped on the side which kinda suprised me because I can't recall any scifi space shows that suggest the USA still exists as a nation rather than becoming some consolidated Federation or United Earth Something or Other

For some inexplicable reason I'm getting a Silent Running vibe about this. http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0067756/

Rodney Munch
May 4, 2006

IT'S NOT MY FAULT THAT MY GENES HATE HOMOSEXUALS
Horror movie from the 80's or possibly real early 90s.

Well maybe not a "horror" movie since we watch this in gradeschool for Halloween. So it must have been pretty drat tame. A scary movie but also suitable for kids. Possibly even made by Disney.

Anyways what I remember is some scary old guy who must have been the main villian. I think a lot of the movie takes place at a fair or a carnival or something. I remember this haunted carousal or fariswheel or something. Maybe it was a haunted circus. I dont really remember.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Rodney Munch posted:

Horror movie from the 80's or possibly real early 90s.

Well maybe not a "horror" movie since we watch this in gradeschool for Halloween. So it must have been pretty drat tame. A scary movie but also suitable for kids. Possibly even made by Disney.

Anyways what I remember is some scary old guy who must have been the main villian. I think a lot of the movie takes place at a fair or a carnival or something. I remember this haunted carousal or fariswheel or something. Maybe it was a haunted circus. I dont really remember.

This is likely "Something Wicked This Way Comes". This and "Watcher in the Woods" were two Disney movies that scared me silly as a child.

invalid user
Nov 15, 2006

Shit's expensive, bro. Plus, fuck Lurdiak.

Fab Boner posted:

There's no writer struggling for inspiration or antique ship, but there is a human brain in a jar in an old diner. Maybe you're confusing two films, and one of them is Blood Diner.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092669/

No, that's not it. I remember this movie, that one had the dancing hitler band... the one I'm talking about had a brain with an eye ball in between the ridge in the frontal lobe...

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

JoeNotCharles posted:

This makes me think Earthstar Voyager, although I don't remember it being that muted or gray. I can't find any screen shots, unfortunately.

Oh wow, after looking it up, I think this might actually be the one. Thanks! Now I just have to track down a copy...

GodTrappedInABox
Jan 15, 2006
The portion I can remember of this movie is that there is a subplot involving a court case similar to the OJ Simpson case, but a man was accused of killing his brother, maybe?

Either way, what I can definitely remember is that the accused was saying that the killers were asian, they sounded asian, and that the power or something went out during the court verdict while everyone was watching it.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

nemesis_hub posted:

Oh wow, after looking it up, I think this might actually be the one. Thanks! Now I just have to track down a copy...

Yeah, I wouldn't mind watching it again either...

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

oscartheduck posted:

The portion I can remember of this movie is that there is a subplot involving a court case similar to the OJ Simpson case, but a man was accused of killing his brother, maybe?

Either way, what I can definitely remember is that the accused was saying that the killers were asian, they sounded asian, and that the power or something went out during the court verdict while everyone was watching it.

The Cable Guy, with Ben Stiller playing the part of the accused. It's really a much better film than I think it gets credit for, with more substance and somewhat good writing behind the silly voices and faces.
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0115798/

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Ape Agitator posted:

The Cable Guy, with Ben Stiller playing the part of the accused. It's really a much better film than I think it gets credit for, with more substance and somewhat good writing behind the silly voices and faces.
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0115798/

(Eric Roberts was the victim and the accused - twin brothers)

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Pweller posted:

(Eric Roberts was the victim and the accused - twin brothers)

Eric Roberts played them in a made for TV movie, Ben Stiller played them both in the actual court scenes.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

The Duke posted:

Eric Roberts played them in a made for TV movie, Ben Stiller played them both in the actual court scenes.

yes you're right

The_Skull_Electric
Jun 7, 2006

The Summer of Flesh
I saw a movie about 14 years ago that followed a homeless guy around. He was getting harassed by some homeless bully guy. The bully eventually killed the homeless man's best friend. One of them sewed their money into a scarf, so they wouldn't lose it. The homeless guy was buried in a plain box in the ground.

I don't know the year it was made or the actors or anything, though.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

There's a movie that's been driving me crazy for the longest time.
I saw part of it on cable tv in the late 80's.
What I remember of the film was that it was about families with kids that lived in the sewers in the future. They had like, apartments furnished in the sewers.

One of the scenes that I remember most vividly is that the kids had like a hound dog of sorts, and there were giant ticks all over it, so the kids pulled the ticks off one by one, and threw them at a darts target, leaving blood splotches on the target.

Thoreau Like A Girl
Nov 20, 2006

tokyoakazukin posted:

What I remember of the film was that it was about families with kids that lived in the sewers in the future. They had like, apartments furnished in the sewers.

One of the scenes that I remember most vividly is that the kids had like a hound dog of sorts, and there were giant ticks all over it, so the kids pulled the ticks off one by one, and threw them at a darts target, leaving blood splotches on the target.

LOLOOL this is the same exact movie i came here to ask about. I saw it on late night cable when i was like 10 years old and it disturbed the HELL out of me. like tha worm thingie that they keep stashed in the kitchen and cut off pieces of like bologna to eat. and the grandfather that they're caring for in the room that they feed liquid green stuff to through a large syringe.
i always thought Paul Reubens made an appearance in it, and Christina Applegate was in it, but i fail to find it on their imdb filmology.

Thoreau Like A Girl
Nov 20, 2006

The_Skull_Electric posted:

I saw a movie about 14 years ago that followed a homeless guy around. He was getting harassed by some homeless bully guy. The bully eventually killed the homeless man's best friend. One of them sewed their money into a scarf, so they wouldn't lose it. The homeless guy was buried in a plain box in the ground.

I don't know the year it was made or the actors or anything, though.

The Saint of Forth Washington.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0108026/

at least i'm almost positive this is what you're referring to. does it involve him being buried out on an island near NYC and the guy gets on the barge with the coffins?

The_Skull_Electric
Jun 7, 2006

The Summer of Flesh

Venialblur posted:

The Saint of Forth Washington.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0108026/

at least i'm almost positive this is what you're referring to. does it involve him being buried out on an island near NYC and the guy gets on the barge with the coffins?

Sounds like it. I have to order it from half.com to make sure. I'm so glad this thread exists. Thank you for knowing about this movie.

PonchtheJedi
Feb 20, 2004

Still got some work to do...
This is an 80's movie. I think it was a bunch of short stories, one of which is this kid sneaks into an arcade at night. He's playing this game and gets to the highest level in the game (I think it was the 35th) and then gets sucked into the game. I seem to remember him rocking out to headphones while he plays. Anybody?

Lucifa
Feb 9, 2005

Late 70's/80's slasher type movie.

Setting was I think based around a holiday camp out in the woods somewhere.

The only scene I can remember is a guy or girl backed up against a tree and zoomed in on his face, then suddenly his/her throat gets cut - not by anything, it just rips open. The thing killing everyone seemed to be a small black floating object - maybe alien related?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Lucifa posted:

The only scene I can remember is a guy or girl backed up against a tree and zoomed in on his face, then suddenly his/her throat gets cut - not by anything, it just rips open. The thing killing everyone seemed to be a small black floating object - maybe alien related?
You might be talking about Without Warning.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081764/

Basically there's these hunters in the woods and this alien is throwing around this little spinning disk thing that slices them up.

I actually had this film identified for me in one of these threads a few years ago!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Venialblur posted:

LOLOOL this is the same exact movie i came here to ask about. I saw it on late night cable when i was like 10 years old and it disturbed the HELL out of me. like tha worm thingie that they keep stashed in the kitchen and cut off pieces of like bologna to eat. and the grandfather that they're caring for in the room that they feed liquid green stuff to through a large syringe.
i always thought Paul Reubens made an appearance in it, and Christina Applegate was in it, but i fail to find it on their imdb filmology.

That's hilarious, but also reassuring, because after extensive searching for it which has as of yet turned up nothing, I was starting to believe that I had dreamt it up, especially because I was 6 or 7 when I saw it. This gives me hope that someone in the thread will know what the movie is =)

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

PonchtheJedi posted:

This is an 80's movie. I think it was a bunch of short stories, one of which is this kid sneaks into an arcade at night. He's playing this game and gets to the highest level in the game (I think it was the 35th) and then gets sucked into the game. I seem to remember him rocking out to headphones while he plays. Anybody?

You're thinking of Nightmares where the kid is Emilio Estevez.
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0086014/

Thoreau Like A Girl
Nov 20, 2006

tokyoakazukin posted:

That's hilarious, but also reassuring, because after extensive searching for it which has as of yet turned up nothing, I was starting to believe that I had dreamt it up, especially because I was 6 or 7 when I saw it. This gives me hope that someone in the thread will know what the movie is =)

i called my older brother to see if he remembered. he has vague memories of it, too. Like the scene where the kid comes home with a black eye and the mother uses some suction device that this big sucker worm comes out of and basically sucks on his eye to "heal"? it.
probably one of the most hosed up movies i've seen - and i've seen Visitor Q.

Thoreau Like A Girl
Nov 20, 2006

tokyoakazukin posted:

I FOUND IT! (thanks to 3 hours in work of searching through imdb keywords)
Meet the Hollowheads http://imdb.com/title/tt0095608/
Juliette Lewis... Christina Applegate. same thing =P

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I've been racking my brain on this one all day, its a longshot but here goes:

Premise is that a bunch of people traveling on a train all suddenly become suspended via carbon freezing or some other such nonsense. When they "thaw" about 100 years later, the earth has been through some sort of apocalypse, everyone else is dead, etc. It had a lot of British actors and I remember something about them being chased by killer dogs and so on. It wasn't really a horror/Sci-Fi type thing, more like a survival thing. It was kinda cheesy but somehow it grew on me and now I want to revisit it. I saw it on The Movie Network in Canada like 8 years ago.

I keep wanting to say "Savage Earth" or "Savage Planet" but Google turns up non-related nonsense for those, same with imdb.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Was a TV mini series rather than a movie but that sounds like The Last Train

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
You are a god, thank you :) Also known as "Cruel Earth" in Canada, I cant believe I didn't get that earlier asghidashgahsdgidhgd.

Edit: Shame its not available on DVD or VHS or pretty much anything else, sigh.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 26, 2007

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Venialblur posted:

I FOUND IT! (thanks to 3 hours in work of searching through imdb keywords)
Meet the Hollowheads http://imdb.com/title/tt0095608/
Juliette Lewis... Christina Applegate. same thing =P

Amazing! Thank you so much! I can't believe you found it!

PonchtheJedi
Feb 20, 2004

Still got some work to do...

Ape Agitator posted:

You're thinking of Nightmares where the kid is Emilio Estevez.
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0086014/

Thank you!

Lucifa
Feb 9, 2005

InfiniteZero posted:

You might be talking about Without Warning.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081764/

Basically there's these hunters in the woods and this alien is throwing around this little spinning disk thing that slices them up.

I actually had this film identified for me in one of these threads a few years ago!

Doesn't ring a bell, and from googling the film it doesn't appear to have the scene I can quite vividly remember though it's similar.

Thanks anyway!

mariolatry
Jun 7, 2006

The time will come.
This has bothered me for YEARS!

I remember watching this when I was elementary school-age ('90s). The only thing I remember is that this English kid lived with his aunt and uncle. His father was a king in some other magical land. It's a fantasy movie, if you can't tell. In the beginning, the aunt sends the kid out to buy crackers for the uncle. The kid is narrating about how he's not supposed to buy the salty ones.

I wish I could remember more. I know I asked my mom to buy it for me because I thought the VHS cover looked cool.

Thoreau Like A Girl
Nov 20, 2006

mariolatry posted:

This has bothered me for YEARS!

I remember watching this when I was elementary school-age ('90s). The only thing I remember is that this English kid lived with his aunt and uncle. His father was a king in some other magical land. It's a fantasy movie, if you can't tell. In the beginning, the aunt sends the kid out to buy crackers for the uncle. The kid is narrating about how he's not supposed to buy the salty ones.

I wish I could remember more. I know I asked my mom to buy it for me because I thought the VHS cover looked cool.

Mio in the Land of Faraway
http://imdb.com/title/tt0093543/

the only reason i remember it is because Christian Bale was in it =P

mariolatry
Jun 7, 2006

The time will come.

Venialblur posted:

Mio in the Land of Faraway
http://imdb.com/title/tt0093543/

the only reason i remember it is because Christian Bale was in it =P

Well, that appears to be it. Thank you so much! :)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I remember some horror movie covers freaking me out as a kid though in reality they were probably cheesy. One had a broken window (I think it was broken) and a dude in a tuxedo with roses, only this dude was bleeding (I don't remember if it was cuz he was shot in the chest or bleeding from the face/eyes but he was bleeding).

The other was a cover that showed a monster hand ringing a doorbell, and the tagline was this "Dying dong, your dead"

And a third ID, I remember seeing a relatively recent movie in which a child (black) is shown playing Sim Themepark (the newest 3D one) on the computer and I remember thinking "Oh whoa Sim Themepark"

I think the kid (might've been a girl) had a dad played by either Samuel L Jackson (not positive) or Jamie Fox (in which case it was probably Bait but again not sure about this either)

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Alan Smithee posted:

I remember some horror movie covers freaking me out as a kid though in reality they were probably cheesy. One had a broken window (I think it was broken) and a dude in a tuxedo with roses, only this dude was bleeding (I don't remember if it was cuz he was shot in the chest or bleeding from the face/eyes but he was bleeding).

The other was a cover that showed a monster hand ringing a doorbell, and the tagline was this "Dying dong, your dead"

The first is most probably Night of the Creeps, which is awesome and funny.
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0091630/

The second is House, which I know definitely used the tagline "Ding Dong, you're dead" in some of the VHS covers. It too is also an awesome horror comedy.
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0091223/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoreau Like A Girl
Nov 20, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

House
http://imdb.com/title/tt0091223/

i've never seen this one, but i've seen the sequal - the one that is only a quasi-horror movie (more amusing than anything) about the bachelor that buys an old house and involves the crystal Aztec skull and an awfully bloody cute baby Pterodactyl...