Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, I'm sure Stanley's ability to make dragons swarm around and threaten to toast Parson was due to the Arkenhammer. In fact, for all we know, Gobwin Knob may not even produce dragons; he may only have them because of the Arkhenhammer.

(Or, if the "game" is anything like many other games of its type, like Heroes of Might and Magic, his town would only be producing one colour of dragon if it produced them at all. I'll bet him having several colours of dragon is due to the Arkenhammer.)

That seems likely.
I don't think I've seen any dragons at all on Ansom's side, and it's been noted that he hasn't been able to use his Arkenpliers for anything more complex than swinging around, so it would make sense for the Arkenhammer to be tied to the dragon control, since Stanley CAN use his hammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sumosally
Dec 28, 2006

by Fistgrrl
All the erfworld discussion is really turning me off to this thread. Is there any chance you guys can make another megathread to discuss it there?

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

they told me how to make this implant
they said it would make a better me of me

sumosally posted:

All the erfworld discussion is really turning me off to this thread. Is there any chance you guys can make another megathread to discuss it there?

We could rename this thread to "Giant in the Playground Comic Discussion" if you'd like :shobon:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, I'm sure Stanley's ability to make dragons swarm around and threaten to toast Parson was due to the Arkenhammer. In fact, for all we know, Gobwin Knob may not even produce dragons; he may only have them because of the Arkhenhammer.

(Or, if the "game" is anything like many other games of its type, like Heroes of Might and Magic, his town would only be producing one colour of dragon if it produced them at all. I'll bet him having several colours of dragon is due to the Arkenhammer.)

I could be way off-base, but don't base your observations solely on one game. Various tactics games, especially old console-based ones, use color variations to indicate either the power level of the monster variant (dragon, bigdragon, grtdragon, kngdragon), or more simply, the elemental affiliation, using the same sprite.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Hey guys, :siren: NEW STRIP IS UP :siren:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I don't think that Haley has a _dozen_. Probably no more than three or four.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Why wasn't Belkar hurt from that fireball?!

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

The Midniter posted:

Why wasn't Belkar hurt from that fireball?!

Rangers get evasion at 9th level:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/ranger.htm

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

And if Haley hadn't said that he'd have to get rid of the Skull, none of this would have happened. D'oh.

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.
Haley should have taken the eyes from the skull. They're rubies, aren't they?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fuego Fish posted:

Hey guys, :siren: NEW STRIP IS UP :siren:
Page won't load :argh:

Can someone mirror it?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

DaveWoo posted:

Can someone mirror it?

Sure. It worked for me after hitting F5 once, though.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
The first hobgoblin is dumb. It was six seasons, not eight.

Man, I love this strip.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

This is why Belkar can't have nice things :colbert:

Poor Skullsy, I miss him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Because he shits on them?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Halloween Jack posted:

Because he shits on them?

:eng101: In them!

Or at least he intends to do so.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Haley must be experiencing some serious character growth, she left the skull's eye gems behind.

Augustus
Oct 10, 2004

God damn it.

Sock posted:

Haley should have taken the eyes from the skull. They're rubies, aren't they?

IIRC most gems are useless after being used as components.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

Augustus posted:

IIRC most gems are useless after being used as components.

Beaten, but it's to prevent those wiley little PCs from using them again and again, thus buying high-powered spells for only the initial cost. Casting a spell annihilates the material components, so you don't get unlimited true res's from that one diamond.

However, in this case, it's loot ahoy. From the Book of Vile Darkness: "An eye of fear and flame is a skeletal figure with a gem set into each eye socket - one red and one black. Each gem is worth 2000 gp but has no magical qualities once the eye of fear and flame is destroyed."

So they just got a cool 4k if they remember to pick up the gems - which is a lot more common a problem than you'd think. The PC's supplication: "Of COURSE I would have done that! Except I didn't say I did, so I, you know, didn't! But I totally WOULD have, so my intention of doing something is clearly equivalent to actually doing it!"

Some DMs relent on poo poo like that, but I ain't one of 'em. Which leads to hilarious situations like desperate runs from the police whereby nobody managed to remember the car keys.

TheFuzzyLumpkin fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 27, 2007

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

So they just got a cool 4k if they remember to pick up the gems - which is a lot more common a problem than you'd think. The PC's supplication: "Of COURSE I would have done that! Except I didn't say I did, so I, you know, didn't! But I totally WOULD have, so my intention of doing something is clearly equivalent to actually doing it!"

"I totally did! You asked me if I wanted any equipment before this adventure and I said 'No, but I need material components for all my spells.' So I cast Mordenkainen’s Faithful Watchdog."

"But you've never actually cast it."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Some DMs relent on poo poo like that, but I ain't one of 'em. Which leads to hilarious situations like desperate runs from the police whereby nobody managed to remember the car keys.
You actually make the players say "I turn off the ignition, turn off the headlights, roll up the windows, get out, lock the doors, and put the key in my pocket?"

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Halloween Jack posted:

You actually make the players say "I turn off the ignition, turn off the headlights, roll up the windows, get out, lock the doors, and put the key in my pocket?"
"haha, you forgot to check the tire pressure! Turns out that all four of your tires were flat."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Halloween Jack posted:

Way to forget to set the parking brake man, the car rolled away while you were gone. :colbert:

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Beaten, but it's to prevent those wiley little PCs from using them again and again, thus buying high-powered spells for only the initial cost. Casting a spell annihilates the material components, so you don't get unlimited true res's from that one diamond.

However, in this case, it's loot ahoy. From the Book of Vile Darkness: "An eye of fear and flame is a skeletal figure with a gem set into each eye socket - one red and one black. Each gem is worth 2000 gp but has no magical qualities once the eye of fear and flame is destroyed."

So they have to say the breath too?

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Ashcans posted:

Way to forget to set the parking brake man, the car rolled away while you were gone. :colbert:

No, it got stolen because he didn't turn on the alarm and he didn't say he wasn't parking outside Thieving Joe's House of Car Theft.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

KaLogain posted:

So they have to say the breath too?

Nah, that's an automated response. It's the being informed that you've just pissed and shat yourself, while talking to an NPC, that you have to worry about.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

No, the situation was that one PC had driven them to a certain location. The group then split up, and one group without the driver got caught and dashed back to the car.

Well, color me stupid, but the driver keeps the keys, the driver wasn't with 'em, and that makes starting a car kind of awkward. What was funny was how badly they freaked out before one of the other PCs remembered she knew how to carjack. My players are notorious for forgetting enormously important things, so I put stuff like that in to help them pay attention to what they're doing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

No, the situation was that one PC had driven them to a certain location. The group then split up, and one group without the driver got caught and dashed back to the car.

Well, color me stupid, but the driver keeps the keys, the driver wasn't with 'em, and that makes starting a car kind of awkward. What was funny was how badly they freaked out before one of the other PCs remembered she knew how to carjack. My players are notorious for forgetting enormously important things, so I put stuff like that in to help them pay attention to what they're doing.

My GM is a horrible idiot and he thinks us forgetting one of the NPCs exists because we haven't played in like 2 months is part of roleplaying, so he won't actually remind us of this fact. Never mind that our characters wouldn't really forget someone they saw 5 minutes ago.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

My GM is a horrible idiot and he thinks us forgetting one of the NPCs exists because we haven't played in like 2 months is part of roleplaying, so he won't actually remind us of this fact. Never mind that our characters wouldn't really forget someone they saw 5 minutes ago.

I do a last-session runup at the start of every session, and if we have to take a week off here or there I do a longer one with pertinent details. I also actively reward players with good memories for detail by dropping in useful but not plot-necessary clues, which helps to keep them from getting all hosed up and nets them RP exp when they remember them.

However, this situation was in-game, in the space of about 10 minutes of real-time right at the beginning of a session (they hosed a roll to start). I don't want to derail the thread into GMing critiques, but seriously - the driving PC owned the car in question and was easily locatable, given that they were still in the same small area, and the caught PCs just ran back to the car, expecting there to be magical car keys waiting for them. Given the nature of this thread and RP nerds in general, I'm sure a neckbeard is chomping at the bit to call me a lovely GM because OBVIOUSLY the players do everything right without having to actually say it, which at its end means they might as well sit there while I tell a story about their characters being perfect and getting everything they want forever and ever, the end.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
I received my copy of Start of Darkness. It was excellent and contains the best written scene in all of The OOTS comics.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

...the driving PC owned the car in question and was easily locatable, given that they were still in the same small area, and the caught PCs just ran back to the car, expecting there to be magical car keys waiting for them.
Okay, that makes more sense, but you didn't tell us that--you just laid it out there like "oh, you didn't specifically state that you were keeping track of the keys, I GUESS YOU DON'T HAVE THEM NOW!"

I mean, yes, I agree with you, but I'm sure you can understand how we might have seen it differently based on what you said.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Zoolooman posted:

I received my copy of Start of Darkness. It was excellent and contains the best written scene in all of The OOTS comics.

So what's the monster in the darkness, man! Spill it!!

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Wolfsheim posted:

So what's the monster in the darkness, man! Spill it!!

Unsurprisingly, he remained in darkness the entire time. I think this eliminates him as a part of the Snarl, however. He is something very scary that used to be happy living in a jungle.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Zoolooman posted:

Rrraaaaagh I did not receive my copy of Start of Darkness I hope you die :argh:

Also where is the comic :argh:

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
New comic is up!

edit: moo hoo ha haaa

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 29, 2007

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Robot Bastard posted:

New comic is up!
Please warn people that you're linking to Erfworld. :argh:

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

NorgLyle posted:

Please warn people that you're linking to Erfworld. :argh:

I don't see it posted so here's a link to the new OoTS comic.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

High Altitude Hair Stylist posted:

I don't see it posted so here's a link to the new OoTS comic.

Wait a minute. Belkar clearly states that there are 22 hobgoblins, but Haley manages to kill 24. :colbert:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Schwarzwald posted:

Wait a minute. Belkar clearly states that there are 22 hobgoblins, but Haley manages to kill 24. :colbert:

Belkar has a crappy Spot check, remember? I'm sure he missed a couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Hey he's tiny and you don't know just how big that pile of human corpses was.