Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Ozma posted:

They try really hard to ticket people. I find it curious, though, that when I DO need them they're not around.

Oh god, they try so hard and then absolve themselves of any mistakes they make at the same time.

There was a red car (one that belongs to a fire-related person, but it's a town car, not an emergency vehicle) that was blocking 3 motorcycle spots by being parked really really illegally for absolutely no reason. I couldn't find anywhere to park around where I work, and this guy was blocking 3 spots. It really pissed me off, I took detailed pictures of how badly this guy parked and sent them to every email address I could get for the police, traffic and parking departments and told them that I was pretty displeased that I could get a ticket for parking when I didn't do anything wrong, (I parked between two cars, and neither of them paid the meter so I got a ticket too) but it's A-OK for a city official to screw 3 people out of parking spots. It halfway worked out, in that they added 10 more motorcycle spots on the street... but changed everything on the street to meters. (and all the motorcycle spots on the street were free before, booo.)

At least they haven't figured out that the signs say 25c/hr, but actually work at 10c/hr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twid
May 31, 2006
Bay Area Bald Guy
FYI, for those of you in the south bay that know the bliss that is Kirk's Steakburgers, they just opened a new location in Santa Clara at 2605 Homestead Road, 95050.

http://kirks-steakburgers.com/ (Their website is funny, it must have just been re-done and still has standard "Lorem ipsum" placeholder text all over it.)

It's hard to pick between Kirk's and In-N-Out, but I'd have to give Kirk's a slight edge because of their big fat burgers versus the thinner patties at In-N-Out.

nyquil
May 1, 2003

I may as well pimp one of my favorite places to eat as well - Taqueria El Grullense. I really recommend trying it if you live in or ever find yourself in Palo Alto.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pEiOwHVyeHilsZhqNfrUag

You can even get tongue or brain tacos/tortas/etc :) The tortas are my favorite though, it's like a taco burger.

nyquil fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 24, 2007

Dr Wankenstein
Aug 17, 2003

So I just landed a job in the city, and will be moving from San Diego soon. The job starts in a week, though, and I'm starting to get sort of panicky as I wonder where I will be living. I don't really know anyone in SF yet, so I'm guessing that finding a sublet in craigslist is my best bet? Any advice? I'd like to spend no more than 1200/month and the mission sounds like a cool enough district to me.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

nyquil posted:

I may as well pimp one of my favorite places to eat as well - Taqueria El Grullense. I really recommend trying it if you live in or ever find yourself in Palo Alto.

You can even get tongue or brain tacos/tortas/etc :) The tortas are my favorite though, it's like a taco burger.

Agreed! Their super burritoes and super tacos are awesome and a great price. The $3 half-gallon jug of horichata is the best I've ever had.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
Anyone care to pimp out their favorite Hair Salon? I've never had a haircut my whole time here and have been looking with little success.

ad infinitum
Oct 11, 2001
All things shining.
I'm moving to the Mill Valley/Strawberry/Tiburon area in a week. I've visited the area a number of times and really love the feel of the place. Anyone have any recommendations for cool places to check out and/or some good restaurants in the area?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ad infinitum posted:

I'm moving to the Mill Valley/Strawberry/Tiburon area in a week. I've visited the area a number of times and really love the feel of the place. Anyone have any recommendations for cool places to check out and/or some good restaurants in the area?

There is an amazing restaurant in Sausolito called Fish. It's in the marina, right on the water. I don't remember the exact street but it's easy to find. Easily one of the best seafood places in the Bay Area, they serve a bunch of really unqiue fish and seafood sandwhiches and other dishes as well, great prices, nice and casual. I strongly recommend the Vietnamese salmon sandwhich.

Also a coworker of mine and her husband own a store sort of on the border of Mill Valley and Sausolito, its called the Spanish Table. The sell wines, various groceries, cheese, books, and music all from Spain, Portugal, and a few things from S. America. They have incredibly good prices on Spanish and Portuguese wine, I mean you can get some really great stuff for like $10 a bottle. The place is in a sort of mall with a Safeway right off 101, just a couple exits after the GG bridge

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 25, 2007

mediawhore
Apr 18, 2003

i think i'm gonna put you down for a while

[ELP posted:

Anyone care to pimp out their favorite Hair Salon? I've never had a haircut my whole time here and have been looking with little success.

I get my hair cut at Edo in the lower Haight. I go to Roxie and she does a really great job and I hear Rosette is good as well. Unfortunately, they are kind of expensive but I think it's worth it.

https://www.edosalon.com

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

[ELP posted:

]

The Lower Haight is a haven for hair salons, but if you're a guy I would recommend Male Image on Sanchez and Castro. Sure it's not all fancy foo-foo but for 16$ you get a nice cut by homosexuals.

Barring that I adore Zip Zap Hair because the stylists there have interesting and engaging conversations.

RandomSporkings
Mar 6, 2007

by Eris Is Goddess

Earwicker posted:

There is an amazing restaurant in Sausolito called Fish. It's in the marina, right on the water. I don't remember the exact street but it's easy to find. Easily one of the best seafood places in the Bay Area, they serve a bunch of really unqiue fish and seafood sandwhiches and other dishes as well, great prices, nice and casual. I strongly recommend the Vietnamese salmon sandwhich.

Is that the one with the dead fish logo?

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
I'm only on day 1 of my weeklong housing hunt over here in Berkeley, but it's already more stressful than it should be. I liked the first place that I saw, but when I called the lady back 10 minutes after the showing the place had already been taken. Is there a general etiquette to follow for an open apartment showing? I guess I should just start writing the check as soon as I walk in the door to the next one. :aaaaa:

Edit: I guess that's more of a rhetorical question, like "Just how nutso is this market?"

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

marmot25 posted:

I'm only on day 1 of my weeklong housing hunt over here in Berkeley, but it's already more stressful than it should be. I liked the first place that I saw, but when I called the lady back 10 minutes after the showing the place had already been taken. Is there a general etiquette to follow for an open apartment showing? I guess I should just start writing the check as soon as I walk in the door to the next one. :aaaaa:

Edit: I guess that's more of a rhetorical question, like "Just how nutso is this market?"

As mentioned earlier, show up to places with your checkbook and information, and if you like a place, just write a check and take it!

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

ad infinitum posted:

tourists club, its open to the public on weekends from about 12-6ish, with workdays every second sunday of the month. its on the way to stinson, ask around town for directions

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Holy crap I do not know how to take MUNI I work at 55 Francisco street, I start monday. I live in the east bay so I am taking bart until the montgomery stop then I am taking muni because according to google maps, there is a muni stop across the street from my office.

Can someone please tell me which where to get ON muni after i get off at Montgomery bart?

I have tried 511.org but those numbers make no sense to me, trying to read the muni map is worse than a blue print for a nuke.

=( help, Aim= madkapitolist I just got my wisdom teeth out so there is a 99.99% I am online.

Zoccoli
Feb 12, 2004

Everything that stands will be at odds with its neighbor, and everything that falls will perish without grace
Well, you didn't mention which line the stop near your office is on, but it would seem that you have three options:

-Get off BART at Montgomery and walk East down Market St. (towards the Ferry Building), and get on the F line train at the New Montgomery St. stop (the platform in the middle of the street on Market). Get off at Embarcadero & Bay St., walk the other two blocks to work.

-Get off BART at Montgomery and walk West up Market St. to Kearny St. Walk two blocks up (North) Kearny to Sutter St. Get on the 9BX bus and get off at the intersection of Kearny & North Point (hard to miss, it's near the Embarcadero/end of the line). Walk the remaining to blocks to work.

-Seriously, just walk to work. I used to commute to the same area, and unless it's scalding hot or pouring rain, it's a pleasant 15-20 minute walk from Montgomery/Embarcadero BART.

p.s. Don't panic! :)

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

marmot25 posted:

This bodes ill. I'm heading out for my house-hunting week on the 11th, so post your thoughts on the experience during/after your week out there. I'm specifically looking for a place near Berkeley since I'm going to grad school there next year, but I imagine the market is at least mostly the same around the area in qualitative terms.

Kiko
Nov 12, 2003

Ask me about dropping out and getting molested by Arnold Schwarzenegger!

nyquil posted:

SF is way cooler than New York anyways :colbert:

Have fun going to school in the Tenderloin:laugh:.

I work in that area and it's kinda...eh, it's not as interesting as you'd think.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

berzerker posted:

This bodes ill. I'm heading out for my house-hunting week on the 11th, so post your thoughts on the experience during/after your week out there. I'm specifically looking for a place near Berkeley since I'm going to grad school there next year, but I imagine the market is at least mostly the same around the area in qualitative terms.

Howdy, fellow incoming grad student. What department? I'm in materials science. The next place that I went to happened to be exactly where I wanted to live (Oxford and Vine), and the place was decent enough. I was the first to throw my hat in the ring, and they called me the next morning to say that it's mine. I'll sign the lease tomorrow morning. I'll send you a PM with a bit about what I did to prepare, but basically everything people recommended (come prepared with application/checkbook/credit report) goes a long way to showing the landlords that you're serious and organized.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

Kiko posted:

Have fun going to school in the Tenderloin:laugh:.

I work in that area and it's kinda...eh, it's not as interesting as you'd think.

6th Street is pretty interesting. Go eat at Tu Lan and it becomes more so as you play russian roulette with your stomach. Nyquil, if get hungry after class head off to Bang San Thai or Siam Noodles. Those places will almost make it worth being in the Tenderloin.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

marmot25 posted:

Howdy, fellow incoming grad student. What department? I'm in materials science. The next place that I went to happened to be exactly where I wanted to live (Oxford and Vine), and the place was decent enough. I was the first to throw my hat in the ring, and they called me the next morning to say that it's mine. I'll sign the lease tomorrow morning. I'll send you a PM with a bit about what I did to prepare, but basically everything people recommended (come prepared with application/checkbook/credit report) goes a long way to showing the landlords that you're serious and organized.

Congrats on finding a place, very encouraging. I'll discuss it with you more over PM.

berzerker fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 22, 2010

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

marmot25 posted:

What's a good application online for me to use?

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Well there are FOUR! shows this week in the city that I plan on going to and I was wondering if anyone else is going to any. They are:

Monday 7/2 - Battles
Tuesday 7/3 - Vetiver
Wednesday 7/4 - Sunn O)))
Friday 7/6 - Melt Banana :woop:

Well? Anyone?

Atrus
Dec 5, 2003

"The ending has not yet been written."

Ask me about CONTRIBUTING TO THE DEATH OF VIDEOGAMES

kirkjames posted:

Well there are FOUR! shows this week in the city that I plan on going to and I was wondering if anyone else is going to any. They are:

Monday 7/2 - Battles
Tuesday 7/3 - Vetiver

Well? Anyone?
You forgot one:

Thursday 7/5 - Squirrel Nut Zippers

At The Independent. I'll be there!!! I've been waiting for years!!!

nyquil
May 1, 2003

I'm going to Battles and Melt-Banana.
edit- and maybe Sun O)))

There's a tribute concert to Lou Harrison today (30th) at the 21 Grand in Oakland, if anybody likes contemporary classical music. They're performing on instruments built by Lou Harrison and his boyfriend, Bill Colvig. Might be cool.

Ms Marvel posted:

Nyquil, if get hungry after class head off to Bang San Thai or Siam Noodles. Those places will almost make it worth being in the Tenderloin.

Those are on 6th Street?

nyquil fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 30, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

marmot25 posted:

Welcome. I'm just a couple blocks away. This is a pretty nice area - quieter than Northside or Euclid, with nice houses and good restaurants.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Lazy_Liberal posted:

What's a good application online for me to use?

Nevermind. I magically got the first apartment I applied for. I'll be seeing you guys around town.

Jibba Jabba
Aug 27, 2003

FUTURE
DEAD
PERSON

kirkjames posted:

Monday 7/2 - Battles
Tuesday 7/3 - Vetiver

Well? Anyone?

I'll be at Melt-Banana.

Anyone going to the Daft Punk show later this month?

Goon in the Mist
Jan 6, 2006

Are there any areas within decent distance of the Mission Bay campus of UCSF that are somewhat affordable, apartment wise?

Victor Nightingale
May 11, 2005

nyquil posted:

Oh crap I'll have to check this place out since I work right in downtown PA. Thanks!

timmerish
Aug 8, 2003

What's the best place for me to live in SF? Somewhere fun and social with people around my age (24), and good weather (it seems like the weather varies a lot depending on the exact area). A few really specific answers would be extremely useful, since I might take a trip out there to check out possible locations. I've lived in Boston my whole life.

I do dot-com stuff but that's really secondary, as long as I can get to the important locations semi-easily.

pbnjeff
Jun 29, 2007

Haydez posted:

Where can you get good hot wings in Silicon Valley? I'm from North East Pennsylvania and we had an abundance of great wings, but here all I can find is the normal chain crap (Chilji's etc) and Cluck University by SCU. I don't understand the fascination with Cluck U, the wings suck there in my opinion. :(

I noticed that in Pennsylvania, there were no Wingstops, so hopefully this will be helpful to you. I know that there is a Wingstop in San Jose, actually right by Cluck U at SCU. There is also one in Fremont, but I have no clue where that is exactly.

Edit: The only highlight that Cluck U has is the potential to kill (maybe embarrass) yourself with the 911 challenge, which is eating about 10-12 wings with the hottest sauce available. It's mainly the SCU and Bellarmine College Preparatory kids that do that, but you are right - it's dumb.

pbnjeff fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 2, 2007

Cry For More Fish
Mar 21, 2003

Then I lost to a guy and it changed my life. I swore I would never lose to a guy in a wheelchair again

kirkjames posted:

Well? Anyone?

Hell loving yeah I will be there. Melt Banana shows are the best ever.

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

kirkjames posted:

Monday 7/2 - Battles
Tuesday 7/3 - Vetiver

Well? Anyone?

gently caress ME! Battles is playing tonight?!?! Thank you, thread!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I'd love to see Battles but I'm too loving tired.

I am however going to see Tartufi on Saturday night at the Hemlock, they are a loving excellent local band I highly recommend em!

atomjack
May 17, 2003

timmerish posted:

What's the best place for me to live in SF? Somewhere fun and social with people around my age (24), and good weather (it seems like the weather varies a lot depending on the exact area). A few really specific answers would be extremely useful, since I might take a trip out there to check out possible locations. I've lived in Boston my whole life.

I do dot-com stuff but that's really secondary, as long as I can get to the important locations semi-easily.
Easy. Mission District. Great night life, lotsa cool bars. Bonus points if you love mexican food (some AMAZING taquerias). There's two bart stops in the neighborhood that can take you down to the airport or into the east bay. Plenty of bus lines run through it, and it's in the City's sun belt, so it's got the best weather in the whole city. Prices are decent, as long as you don't mind having roommates. Just check craigslist.

When I first moved into the City from the east bay I lived in the mission and loved it. Only reason I moved out was because I was able to get a buncha money to move out (yay gentrification) and move in with some friends to an apartment in Noe Valley (which is right next to the Mission) with an amazing view. If I ever move out of this place it'll be back to the Mission.

New Frontiersman
Jan 13, 2007
still a whiny pussy

Are there any good Arab/coffee stores where I could buy an ibrik/cezve?

vorhese
Feb 16, 2002

brains for breakfast brains for brunch
I'm so exasperated and wore out by the Bay's ticketing gestapo. Someone stole the registration sticker off my car and I keep getting tickets for expired registration. I send in a copy of my current registration, and I get letters back saying that there was no error even tho I have current reg. As a "courtesy" they are only fining me $10 a pop. 4 pops. Plus the endless parking tickets. I seriously got one when I parked, walked across the street to move my bike, and turned around and had a ticket. It's amazing. I think I'm going to snap. The Bay is in the business of wearing you down to a shallow husk of your former self.

Atrus
Dec 5, 2003

"The ending has not yet been written."

Ask me about CONTRIBUTING TO THE DEATH OF VIDEOGAMES

vorhese posted:

The Bay is in the business of wearing you down to a shallow husk of your former self.
Apparently you never lived in Boston.

Separately, I take it no one else is going to the Squirrel Nut Zippers concert Thursday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nixar55
Jul 25, 2003

She packed my bags last night. Pre-flight. Zero hour nine a.m. And I'm gonna be high as a kite by then.
drat, I wish Sunn O))) was playing later in the month while I was out there. That would've been fun.

• Locked thread