Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

rotor posted:

Can someone with SATA functioning properly under linux name the motherboard/card/chipset they're using? edit: and kernel version, I guess?

I have had zero luck with cheap Silicon Image cards, and the nicer ones are super expensive. It might be easier to get a cheapo nforce board if the nforce4 sata drivers are stable in linux.

My nforce4 works great, as did the jmicron and uli chipsets on my previous motherboard. Up to date kernel in all cases.

Does the latest ubuntu livecd recognize your disks at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

sund posted:

My nforce4 works great, as did the jmicron and uli chipsets on my previous motherboard. Up to date kernel in all cases.

Does the latest ubuntu livecd recognize your disks at all?

I use debian unstable, which is kernel 2.6.18.something, IIRC. The controller (cheapo si3112 pci card) recognizes the disks ok, until at some random time some hours later I get a big raft of errors and the disk disconnects. To get the disk back, I have to manually switch channels around for a bit, and sometimes I just have to turn the machine off, wait a minute or two, then turn it back on.

Glad to hear about the nforce4. Looks like that's what I'll be getting.

RoundsToZero
Dec 3, 2004

An open door is an invitation

ExileStrife posted:

I tried f and y, but as far as I can tell, displays a "Sleeping in Function" field which doesn't seem to be relevant. '[' does not seem to be a valid button anywhere, whether at the default view, or on the f screen for field selection.

Hmm, maybe I have a different version. "f" should still get you into the field selection page, but if not just press "h" to see all you can do.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I am having a MySQL problem in CentOS.

When I try to access MySQL via command line, I get this error:

Cant connect to local mysql server through socket /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

Google tells me the answer is to make sure the location of mysql.sock is correct in /etc/my.cnf - problem is there is nothing on my machine that is .sock.

Any suggestions? I really would like to get this up and running soon :(

RoundsToZero
Dec 3, 2004

I don't know what you mean by "there is nothing on my machine that is .sock" but if you say 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost that should force it to use TCP instead of local sockets for the connection. You shouldn't see this problem in any other cases (i.e., from remote machines) because they will always be using TCP to connect to mysqld.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

No good. Same error.

What I did mean is that mysql.sock or any variation of that, does not exist anywhere on the machine.

RoundsToZero
Dec 3, 2004

mysqld is running though, right? (ps -e | grep mysqld)

On the RHEL3 system I'm looking at, the socket is in fact in /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock so it should be for you too. You should also see if there's a pid file in /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid, and that if it exists it corresponds to a running process.

Edit: Also, have you done all the database initialization and root user setup?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

RoundsToZero posted:

mysqld is running though, right? (ps -e | grep mysqld)

On the RHEL3 system I'm looking at, the socket is in fact in /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock so it should be for you too. You should also see if there's a pid file in /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid, and that if it exists it corresponds to a running process.

Edit: Also, have you done all the database initialization and root user setup?

This is a new install, nothing previously touched. mysqld is running.

I'm going to just go ahead and do a reinstall - the VM could probably use a larger disk anyways V:unsmith:V

edit: Reinstall did the trick. Odd.

Walked fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 3, 2007

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

AlexHat posted:

Well, has anyone had any luck install EVE Online then?

Sorry if this has been answered already, but the new Cedega version supports Revelations 2.

The hack in the meantime was

quote:

To get you going in the meantime, you can work around the startup issues by creating the "Local Settings/Application Data" folder under ~/.cedega/EVE Online/c_drive.

Also you may find Eve's linux thread here to be a useful resource.

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns
does anyone know of a WinXP theme that mimics Gnome? I may be asking the wrong thread, but I need a good gnome look-a-like theme so my wine apps look like they fit it with the rest of my desktop.

Onken
Feb 12, 2003

ouch my knee
OK, I have 2 drives in a RAID1 array, sdb and sdc

files:~ # dmraid -ay
files:~ # dmraid -r
/dev/sdb: ddf1, ".ddf1_disks", GROUP, ok, 976495668 sectors, data@ 0
/dev/sdc: ddf1, ".ddf1_disks", GROUP, ok, 976495668 sectors, data@ 0

How the hell do I mount it?

Tiny Space Birds
Jun 18, 2004

Rolling with the
cosmic flow
Not the worlds biggest issue but I've just started using Ubuntu and all I've actually done so far is make my profile look nice (themes, menu's, icons etc) - now, is there any way I can copy my setup to another new user account so the other users profile is already set up like my own?

I tried copying the profile from the home directory over to another user but it just gave me access rights errors when I tried to log in as the other user. Is there an actual procedure to this or am I just wasting time?

RoundsToZero
Dec 3, 2004

Onken posted:

OK, I have 2 drives in a RAID1 array, sdb and sdc

files:~ # dmraid -ay
files:~ # dmraid -r
/dev/sdb: ddf1, ".ddf1_disks", GROUP, ok, 976495668 sectors, data@ 0
/dev/sdc: ddf1, ".ddf1_disks", GROUP, ok, 976495668 sectors, data@ 0

How the hell do I mount it?

What kind of RAID are you using, software or hardware? If it's software you should have a /dev/md0 device that you can mount. Otherwise, it depends on your RAID card.

Tinitus posted:

Not the worlds biggest issue but I've just started using Ubuntu and all I've actually done so far is make my profile look nice (themes, menu's, icons etc) - now, is there any way I can copy my setup to another new user account so the other users profile is already set up like my own?

I tried copying the profile from the home directory over to another user but it just gave me access rights errors when I tried to log in as the other user. Is there an actual procedure to this or am I just wasting time?

At the very least you need to change the ownership of the files: chown -R newuser:newgroup /home/newuser

However I doubt that just copying the files is a particularly safe way to do this. Saved passwords, user-specific data, etc. See if your window manager has some "export theme" option to save your custom settings as a theme so you can import it for the new user.

Onken
Feb 12, 2003

ouch my knee

RoundsToZero posted:

What kind of RAID are you using, software or hardware? If it's software you should have a /dev/md0 device that you can mount. Otherwise, it depends on your RAID card.

Ah well, here's the thing. They were initially hooked up to a hardware controller, but it had horrible Linux drivers so I just ditched it, since I discovered it was essentially a software RAID anyway. So the array was built on the fake-hardware controller, but are now plugged straight into the motherboard. But they seem to activate/show up OK in mdraid so can I just leave the array or should I just rebuild it using mdadm?

Regarding /dev/md0, there's already a /dev/md0, md1 etc. right the way up to md30 I think? I can't be certain but I think they were there BEFORE I installed the array, bear in mind this is using Opensuse which I'm not too familiar with so it may something completely unrelated.

RoundsToZero
Dec 3, 2004

If you're not using a dynamic device node manager like udev, you will have /dev entries for everything under the sun. You could just try mounting /dev/md0 and seeing if it works. However it might actually just be part of an LVM group or some other kind of volume manager (hopefully not custom to that hardware controller you had), in which case you wouldn't be able to see the filesystem directly. As for whether or not you should rebuild the array, you'd need to wait for responses from people who know more about software RAID. If I were you and I had backups, I'd consider it. Otherwise, it seems really risky to rebuild something without knowing what exactly it is.

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns
First I install pure-ftpd from the ubuntu repos

then I add a new user to ubuntu (via the system - administration - users and groups menu) by the name of "ftp"

the server works fine when I run it via this command:
code:
sudo pure-ftpd -S ,830 -p 19830:20000 -C 1 -K -w -B
I can log in with my username/pass, as well with the new FTP user/pass

Now I want to set up some virtual users. Specifically I want one account for getting the list, and nothing else. No uploading, no downloading

code:
pure-pw useradd look -u ftp -d /home/ftp/uploads -m
everything seems fine and dandy, now I'll just start the server via this command:

code:
sudo pure-ftpd -S ,830 -p 19830:20000 -C 1 -K -w -l puredb:/etc/pure-ftpd/pureftpd.pdb -lunix
logging in with my account works, logging in with the ftp account works, but the look account doesn't work. It gives me this error:

code:
nbv4@nbv4:~$ ftp localhost 830
Connected to localhost.
220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
220-You are user number 1 of 50 allowed.
220-Local time is now 21:35. Server port: 830.
220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
Name (localhost:nbv4): look
331 User look OK. Password required
Password:
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
Login failed.
No control connection for command: Permission denied
ftp> quit
If I enter the wrong password, it gives me a 530 error. (proving my problem isn't caused by an incorrect password)

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
For anyone looking for a good SATA card that works great in linux I would suggest the promise range of cards:
http://www.promise.com/product/product_detail_eng.asp?segment=Non-RAID%20HBAs&product_id=139

I tried a few before I found this and it works great, no drivers needed.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

deathmerc posted:

For anyone looking for a good SATA card that works great in linux I would suggest the promise range of cards:
http://www.promise.com/product/product_detail_eng.asp?segment=Non-RAID%20HBAs&product_id=139

I tried a few before I found this and it works great, no drivers needed.

Goddammit, where were you two days ago? You are so fired. :mad:

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

Spartan22x posted:

Okay, I'm running KDE on Debian(unstable). In Kate, every time I try to select the Encoding option under the Tools menu (or even just mouse over it), KDE dies. Not just kate, but the whole loving desktop environment freezes, and the only thing I can do is exit out into the shell (or whatever the term is) with ctrl-shift-F1. Is this a common problem/is there any way to fix it?

Also, is there a way to get working graphics drivers for Nvidia cards? The ones in the repository are broken :s

If you are using a Geforce4-era card, you can use the nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx (yes, with 'x's) packages. For even older, double legacy ones, you probably need -legacy-71xx (formerly just -legacy, but then nvidia dropped more support and the second set was added).

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

nbv4 posted:

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
I think that by default users in Pure-FTPd can't log in if their login shell is /sbin/nologin, /bin/false, or similar. What's its shell?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

thenameseli posted:

If you are using a Geforce4-era card, you can use the nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx (yes, with 'x's) packages. For even older, double legacy ones, you probably need -legacy-71xx (formerly just -legacy, but then nvidia dropped more support and the second set was added).

worth noting is that with these cards you likely can't use the 'RenderAccel' flag, so check your XF86Config file for that.

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

Mr. Heavy posted:

I think that by default users in Pure-FTPd can't log in if their login shell is /sbin/nologin, /bin/false, or similar. What's its shell?

/bin/bash :(

RoundsToZero
Dec 3, 2004

thenameseli posted:

Full compatibility info: http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/100.14.11/README/appendix-a.html

injate
Jan 29, 2006

I'm really bad at trying to act high and mighty, let alone be high and mighty.
Here's a really odd problem that seemingly started out of the blue. No one has made significant changes to this box right before this problem started 2 days ago (they would have reversed by now it if they did do something). All types of processes are running fine, but every process not ran directly through SSH is hanging on the 'ps -ax' list after running (examples being "sh -c" ran through scripts/crontabs, and httpd). Right now I can see process IDs from 10k to 20k - not every number in between but, a high percentage.

Pretty much they're like ghost/orphaned processes that can be killed -9 without screwing stuff up but that's not how it should go. They should clean them selves up when they're done. :wtc:, what could cause this? There are <defunct> in the list for a lot of the shell script commands too which means they're orphaned (right?) but I'm not sure why.

Not 100% sure on that but my intuition says it's not hardware. A couple people pointed the finger at nfs issues already but that doesn't seem to be the problem since a lot of the ghost processes aren't related to NFS. It's a pretty old machine, here's the uname -a : 2.4.9-13SGI_XFS_1.0.2smp #1 SMP Thu Nov 15 11:15:43 CST 2001 i686 unknown

I made a shell/crontab to cleanup processes so we can actually enjoy the weekend but this is not a solution, just a work around, to the problem.

Thanks in advance.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Hey I'm just wondering is there a small program that will count my keyboard clicks in the same manner as what pulse. I doesn't need to be connected to any website I just want to be able to see how many times i have clicked my keyboard.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

injate posted:

Here's a really odd problem that seemingly started out of the blue. No one has made significant changes to this box right before this problem started 2 days ago (they would have reversed by now it if they did do something). All types of processes are running fine, but every process not ran directly through SSH is hanging on the 'ps -ax' list after running (examples being "sh -c" ran through scripts/crontabs, and httpd). Right now I can see process IDs from 10k to 20k - not every number in between but, a high percentage.

Pretty much they're like ghost/orphaned processes that can be killed -9 without screwing stuff up but that's not how it should go. They should clean them selves up when they're done. :wtc:, what could cause this? There are <defunct> in the list for a lot of the shell script commands too which means they're orphaned (right?) but I'm not sure why.

Not 100% sure on that but my intuition says it's not hardware. A couple people pointed the finger at nfs issues already but that doesn't seem to be the problem since a lot of the ghost processes aren't related to NFS. It's a pretty old machine, here's the uname -a : 2.4.9-13SGI_XFS_1.0.2smp #1 SMP Thu Nov 15 11:15:43 CST 2001 i686 unknown

I made a shell/crontab to cleanup processes so we can actually enjoy the weekend but this is not a solution, just a work around, to the problem.

Thanks in advance.

?TEAPOT-F-Parse error. Try to describe the problem again. Include:

1. Versions of OS and distribution you are running. Kernel 2.4.9 compiled in 2001 does not sound like anything supported, or even remembered by most of people here.
2. Symptoms of unexpected behavior, if possible including the output (in your case output of "ps axuw").
3. How does it differ from expected behavior.
4. What did you, or anyone ese, do in the attempt to fix the problem.

Seriously, this is the least informative problem report in the history of this thread, I am trying to be helpful, but there is absolutely nothing that would even suggest what "All types of processes are running fine" or "hanging on the 'ps -ax' list" can possibly mean.

quote:

Pretty much they're like ghost/orphaned processes that can be killed -9 without screwing stuff up but that's not how it should go. They should clean them selves up when they're done. , what could cause this? There are <defunct> in the list for a lot of the shell script commands too which means they're orphaned (right?) but I'm not sure why.
This is the only readable question -- the answer is, zombie processes, or processes in non-interruptable i/o can not be killed. For zombie process the parent process should either accept the exiting process, or exit, or be killed -- then zombie process ends, too. Processes in non-interruptable i/o can only be killed when i/o is complete, what may or may not be related to NFS.

quote:

This only works if you have some extremely buggy application that creates processes and does not properly handle their exit, what is not the case with your system. Don't do it.

teapot fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 7, 2007

Versus Boredom
Sep 20, 2006
About a month ago my roommate convinced me to install ubuntu over XP. I've liked it so far but he has been MIA for weeks. I have no idea where he is or when he is getting back and his cell phone has been off. He's the computer science major who knows all the codes and how to work Ubuntu and without him I'm completely clueless about how to do anything aside from run the programs under the Applications drop down list.

Now I have a windows XP cd and I would really like to go back to windows, at least until he gets back then I will most likely partition XP. I can't for the life of me seem to figure out how to do this. I've googled the question, installed Wine but when I try to run the XP setup.exe it says an error has occurred. I can't seem to fix it and I'm completely lost when it comes to any type of coding. The only reason I got wine installed was because of the detailed instructions on their website.

Maybe someone can point me in a direction of a easy mode step-by-step guide for this.

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

theEZkill posted:

About a month ago my roommate convinced me to install ubuntu over XP. I've liked it so far but he has been MIA for weeks. I have no idea where he is or when he is getting back and his cell phone has been off. He's the computer science major who knows all the codes and how to work Ubuntu and without him I'm completely clueless about how to do anything aside from run the programs under the Applications drop down list.

Now I have a windows XP cd and I would really like to go back to windows, at least until he gets back then I will most likely partition XP. I can't for the life of me seem to figure out how to do this. I've googled the question, installed Wine but when I try to run the XP setup.exe it says an error has occurred. I can't seem to fix it and I'm completely lost when it comes to any type of coding. The only reason I got wine installed was because of the detailed instructions on their website.

Maybe someone can point me in a direction of a easy mode step-by-step guide for this.

If you're wanting to wipe ubuntu away, then just pop the CD in, reboot, then VIOLA.

if that doesn't work, then you are going to have to change the boot order on your computer bios menu, but that shouldn't happen.

Versus Boredom
Sep 20, 2006

nbv4 posted:

If you're wanting to wipe ubuntu away, then just pop the CD in, reboot, then VIOLA.

if that doesn't work, then you are going to have to change the boot order on your computer bios menu, but that shouldn't happen.

gently caress. It couldn't have been that easy. For some reason my boot order was all screwed up. Can't believe I didn't think about it... Thanks!

SheriffHippo
Jul 18, 2002
Hey Fellas, is there a GUI of some kind for Linux that is like OpenGEM/TOS ?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

SheriffHippo posted:

Hey Fellas, is there a GUI of some kind for Linux that is like OpenGEM/TOS ?
You must be kidding... However yes, if you really want it, you can run OpenGEM in DOSBox under some more modern GUI.

SheriffHippo
Jul 18, 2002

teapot posted:

You must be kidding... However yes, if you really want it, you can run OpenGEM in DOSBox under some more modern GUI.

I'm not kidding :( I like doing pointless hobby things with my computer, you know, nerding out and so forth. I have FreeDOS and OpenGEM installed under VMware. I was just hoping that there was some kind of equivalent for Linux. (Not run under emulation)

Some kind of tiny and ultra simplistic GUI.

DOS->OpenGEM
Linux->?OpenGEM/GNU?

SheriffHippo fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 7, 2007

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

SheriffHippo posted:

I'm not kidding :( I like doing pointless hobby things with my computer, you know, nerding out and so forth. I have FreeDOS and OpenGEM installed under VMware. I was just hoping that there was some kind of equivalent for Linux. (Not run under emulation)

Some kind of tiny and ultra simplistic GUI.

DOS->OpenGEM
Linux->?OpenGEM/GNU?

You can use DOSBox to run DOS applications in a bit more "integrated" way, however there is no direct equivalent of OpenGEM natively running in Linux.

There are some minimalistic file managers such as Xfe, text-based, Norton-Commander-like Midnight Commander, more advanced ones such as Thunar and Krusader, up to heavyweight Nautilus and Konqueror.

For GUI in general the most lightweight one based on modern software would be a combination of any modern X and a minimalistic window manager such as twm. Add Xfe, and it probably will be the smallest fully-functional GUI with a file manager. More advanced window managers such as fvwm (there are many of them in this range) will be a slightly heavier and better looking replacement. Window Maker, combined with FSViewer gives a reasonable approximation of NeXTStep GUI. Above that by "modern look" and resources usage is Xfce (with Thunar as a file manager), and "big two" KDE and GNOME on top.

There are also Xview/Openlook and CDE/Motif that are archaic but not really lightweight.

Personally, not being a fan of bloated Nautilus, I run GNOME with Thunar in place of Nautilus and Sawfish as a window manager (both required some tweaking to replace Nautilus and Metacity in GNOME).

teapot fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 7, 2007

Tiny Space Birds
Jun 18, 2004

Rolling with the
cosmic flow
Hi,

I have XP and Ubuntu running by dual boot on my machine. They are both on different disks.

If I 'upgrade' my XP OS to Vista, will dual booting still work?

SheriffHippo
Jul 18, 2002

teapot posted:

For GUI in general the most lightweight one based on modern software would be a combination of any modern X and a minimalistic window manager such as twm.

Thanks Teapot. This is an extremely helpful set of information. I shall try the various combinations you listed.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
I asked this once before but I didn't make note of it.

I want to setup a quick ftp webserver in linux for one user only (ie: user: bob password: saget, this user isnt created on the local system already)

It's for my music directory, so I can access it from work.

This is temporary and I'll remove it within 8 hours.

I need the quick explanation on how to set it up, and remove it. CLI commands please.

Thanks

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

lol internet. posted:

:words:
Just use WinSCP (http://winscp.net) to access your home system. It's way more secure than an FTP connection, and impossible for your ISP to see what files are being transferred through it.

As long as you have the SSH daemon running you can connect via SCP using your regular login.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
teapot, can we have a screenshot of your current desktop and some more information on Sawfish? Every screenshot I have seen of Sawfish looks, well, ugly.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Protip: If you have a Nvidia card, avoid Xinerama like the plague and go with TwinView. Dropped my full screen video CPU usage of Xorg from 15% to 4%.

I set it to Xinerama some time ago to try to get something else working correctly, but only noticed today by chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

SheriffHippo posted:

I'm not kidding :( I like doing pointless hobby things with my computer, you know, nerding out and so forth.

You really need to try something like ion.