Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I liked this strip too, I really want those two to end up together and in one piece*. :shobon:

*each

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeet
Jul 12, 2001

further awesome gags taking the piss out of the story predicters.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I found it amusing as well.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I really do want to know what is going on with Haley and Roy and everything else, but I can tolerate some meandering in the narrative. I thought that was pretty good overall, and I do kind of want those two to make it through everything. Not really as a fixture of the comic, more like those white things Roy kept falling on for the first however-many strips.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Ashcans posted:

I really do want to know what is going on with Haley and Roy and everything else, but I can tolerate some meandering in the narrative. I thought that was pretty good overall, and I do kind of want those two to make it through everything. Not really as a fixture of the comic, more like those white things Roy kept falling on for the first however-many strips.

Agreed. But knowing Burlew, the fact that those two are being built up as being two supposedly nameless NPC's and than are implied to actually defy that convention, we will probably see them get slaughtered out of nowhere right when you think everything's okay.

You guys are getting a little nuts! Just because OotS has been very plot-oriented since this Azure City war began doesn't mean its abandoning its simple, one-shot gags every now and again.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Oooo, Elan has high charisma, maybe he just picked up a pair of cohorts!

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
What's going on with Roy? He's dead. Next question?

As for these two--well, if they want to be non-generic, first thing they need to do is lose the hats. And second, Elan pretty much called that they're gonna die--"...a death sentence, even for main characters!" That they have names just means that they'll get a mini-arc all to themselves before they die. Although I'd be happy enough to see them pull through, 'coz I'm a sucker for Love That Blooms On The Battlefield.

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.

Robot Bastard posted:

What's going on with Roy? He's dead. Next question?

Where's Vaarsuvius, and what are the two soldiers going to get a cup of? :colbert:

Sock fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 5, 2007

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Sock posted:

Where's Vaarsuvius
Dead.

quote:

...and what are the two soldiers going to get a cup of?
They're going to get a cup of hot death with some death sprinkles and fatal cream on top.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Robot Bastard posted:

Dead.

Since when? Vaarsuvius was doing fine when we last saw him.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Schwarzwald posted:

Since when? Vaarsuvius was doing fine when we last saw him.

You trust the word of a bastard, a robot one at that?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Taerkar posted:

You trust the word of a bastard, a robot one at that?

He's got such a sincere face though. It'd be like expecting a 2 year old to lie :shobon:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I was just thinking, does the Mary Marvel arc in Countdown right now SEVERELY remind anyone else of the Miko arc? A little different, but mainly her talking about how she needed and deserved the power to help people.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

greatn posted:

I was just thinking, does the Mary Marvel arc in Countdown right now SEVERELY remind anyone else of the Miko arc? A little different, but mainly her talking about how she needed and deserved the power to help people.
I know, it's like Yakima's run on Starbanner (during the whole "INTERDIMENSIONALITY!" thing where they did a crossover with Two-Ton.)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Here's something to tide you over while he updates the strip

Jeet
Jul 12, 2001

Calaveron posted:

Its like he's taking the piss out of himself.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Calaveron posted:

Ha ha!

Okay, see, that is what Order Of The Stick is supposed to be like. I think that Eric Burns is a pretentious twat, but I'll steal his "First And Ten Syndrome" idea because I think it applies here. As in, Burlew was trying really hard to turn his joke-of-the-day strip into a Serious Story, and that's much harder to do than most joke-of-the-day writers can manage.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Robot Bastard posted:

Ha ha!

Okay, see, that is what Order Of The Stick is supposed to be like. I think that Eric Burns is a pretentious twat, but I'll steal his "First And Ten Syndrome" idea because I think it applies here. As in, Burlew was trying really hard to turn his joke-of-the-day strip into a Serious Story, and that's much harder to do than most joke-of-the-day writers can manage.
I largely agree with you, and that's the biggest reason that I have no interest in "Start of Darkness." I don't need or want to know Redcloaks motivations; I liked it better when he didn't have any real opinions and was just the ancilliary evil lieutenant character. I mean, of course he's going to be vaguely contemptuous of Xykon, all good evil lieutenant characters are. I liked it when he and Roy had joke names that someone might think up based on a quick look at their miniature instead of long detailed backstories explaining why Greenhilt isn't just a description of his sword.

If you read "Dungeon Crawling Fools" back to back with "Origin of the PCs" and "Ain't No Cure" the shift in tone is pretty apparent. I miss the days when it was enough to be funny.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Seriously. I remember the one strip which introduced the "evasion" joke that was recently referenced; all the PC's get hit with a dragon's breath weapon. Everyone falls down dead except for Haley, who just stands there unscathed--'coz she's got Evasion, right? Even though she didn't do anything at all to dodge--didn't jump, didn't duck, didn't even blink!--she still took no damage from the area-filling fire blast.

This was, originally, "Murphy's Rules" in comic-strip form.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The new strip is up.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
As the plot slowly churns...

Xykon as charming as ever.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Oh god Redcloak has already cast like twenty spells today! What if he dies :(

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Ferrinus posted:

Oh god Redcloak has already cast like twenty spells today! What if he dies :(
I think the answer is quite obvious: Zombie Redcloak.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Rehosted, just in case.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I liked the line: "Thor's Lightning can be a bit all over the place."

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Did I see a romance developing between Durkon and that paladin? Does this mean we'll have a mul in the cast fifteen years down the road?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

PeterWeller posted:

Did I see a romance developing between Durkon and that paladin? Does this mean we'll have a mul in the cast fifteen years down the road?

What is a mul?

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Johnny Aztec posted:

What is a mul?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mul

From the Dark Sun world, a cross between a human and dwarf.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

AgentHaiTo posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mul

From the Dark Sun world, a cross between a human and dwarf.

And, from human history, a cross between a white and a Negro. (or, at least, "mulatto")

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
New Erfworld up, too. I think this is the first one without any retarded internet references, and minimal cutesy-ness.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

http://www.giantitp.com/index.html#yOSODsgTNhjraLs4GSe

:(

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
I bet it's Crohn's Disease.

I went and ordered all of the books just now...he says he doesn't need financial assistance, but if you've been waiting around to buy the collected editions now might be a good time.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

PeterWeller posted:

I think you're reading too much into it.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

Robot Bastard posted:

I bet it's Crohn's Disease.

Based on the regularity of flareups and disabling nature of them I'd be inclined to agree. Crohns is such a bitch too, I know like half a dozen people who have it.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
on the plus side, he said new board game :dance:

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

The Werle posted:

Based on the regularity of flareups and disabling nature of them I'd be inclined to agree. Crohns is such a bitch too, I know like half a dozen people who have it.
Kaja Foglio, as well. I think that Crohn's Disease is something like a standard for webcomics people!

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long.
I would watch "World's Funniest Protagonist Deaths".

I would watch the gently caress out of it.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

BAWRLIN posted:

I would watch "World's Funniest Protagonist Deaths".

I would watch the gently caress out of it.

"We've replaced one of Höd's darts with mistletoe, let's see if Baldur notices."

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

farraday posted:

"We've replaced one of Höd's darts with mistletoe, let's see if Baldur notices."

Bwahaha, I cannot stop laughing at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

farraday posted:

I laughed hard at this.