Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Hey, at around 0603Z on 4725 I picked up in the ssb what sounded like a male voice reading numbers, extremely clearly. I mean no interference at all. Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to switch my radio to ssb before the transmission ended. I can't find any broadcast or numbers listings for what I got, I'm wondering if any of you guys might know what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Judging by how quickly it went away and that you didn't get to listen to it long enough to determine whether or not it was five figure groups, considering it was USB and in an aeronautical band, I'm guessing you heard some sort of aeronautical transmissions. They use all sorts of numerical code shorthand for heading, weather conditions, etc.

Gambit32
Feb 16, 2003

M'sweet, I never gamble... I win. At everything.
Crossposting... I figure someone here may have an idea for a question I have about a linear amplifier for a cb radio. Anyone?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

thehustler posted:

Meltie! Are you a closet shortwave fan too?

Hello!

I would be, but I don't have a set - everything I find is too costly for me :sigh:

I spend weekends going "what's that?" and wandering up to old antenna masts though. Shab Hill (birdlip), Churchdown, Cleeve - I don't set out to see them, but they're all on nice hills so end up being a waypoint on walks around here. As you can guess, around Cheltenham there's quite a bit to see!

I just said "yes!" to a little Landy, so there'll be more trips to further-flung bits of quiet cotswolds and moorland soon :)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
After a bit of a dry spell I finally stumbled upon a numberstation at 12165khz. Its a spanish lady reading in spanish. 2:20UTC. Still active as I post this.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

blugu64 posted:

After a bit of a dry spell I finally stumbled upon a numberstation at 12165khz. Its a spanish lady reading in spanish. 2:20UTC. Still active as I post this.

Excellent! Unfortunately, I've been having a serious dry spell because interference has been worse than ever from Radio Disney. I'm tempted to nuke their transmitter sometimes, as it seems they increase the power on that thing every other day.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines
Welp, been out of the loop for a good week now because I went and got married. Sad to hear things are dry at best. And I've never had any luck hearing the buzzer for some reason. Funny that should come up because I tried to catch that a couple weeks ago.

But now I'm back and listening!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Halah posted:

Welp, been out of the loop for a good week now because I went and got married. Sad to hear things are dry at best. And I've never had any luck hearing the buzzer for some reason. Funny that should come up because I tried to catch that a couple weeks ago.

But now I'm back and listening!

Congrats on getting married! I'm engaged myself, though we haven't set a date yet.

overflow
Dec 20, 2001

Add another $101.00 to the financial drain tally; I just picked up a Sony AN-LP1 off of ebay. Goddamn you guys.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

overflow posted:

Add another $101.00 to the financial drain tally; I just picked up a Sony AN-LP1 off of ebay. Goddamn you guys.

You won't be sorry, it's a good antenna. Probably the best you can do if you don't have the space to mount a big antenna outside somewhere.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

OP Updated to add new financial drains and correct a couple of spelling errors.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
Hello all again! I have returned the Eton e10 because I want something with all the features recommended in the OP. So last night I was using the trusty DX-375 I got from this very thread.

Here is what I was able to get:
I was listening around 3:41 Pacific time.

5985 khz - some Christian BS nothing really special
6055 khz - Was in Japanese, I wonder if this is broadcast from Japan?
6095 khz - I didn't take any notes for this one but googleing the freq seems to say stuff about Poland. I doubt I was able to listen to a station from there in California.

9715 khz - Was playing very clear music, but I moved on.
9890 khz- Chinese sounding music, was boring so I moved on.
9930 khz- This station came in very faint. I think it was playing some sort of music.
It seems from 10,000khz on all I was getting was buzzing tones and sounds. I guess this is interference? Kinda sucked.

I have been playing with using speaker wire and clipping it onto the whip. I am still getting mixed results. I am going to run some of that line outside tonight to see what happens.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Capnbigboobies posted:

I was listening around 3:41 Pacific time.
A.M. or P.M.?

Capnbigboobies posted:

6055 khz - Was in Japanese, I wonder if this is broadcast from Japan?
Passport says this is indeed coming from a suburb of Tokyo, assuming that it is in Japanese.

Capnbigboobies posted:

6095 khz - I didn't take any notes for this one but googling the freq seems to say stuff about Poland. I doubt I was able to listen to a station from there in California.
It could have been Radio Polonia, which broadcasts to Eastern Europe from 1900-2000 UTC in the summer. More likely, though, it was Radio Free Asia, which blasts 500KW at East Asia (China) from the Marianas.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

nmfree posted:

A.M. or P.M.?

Judging by the Maximum usable frequency and the stations he was listening to, I'd hazard a guess at AM.

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title
Just got my E5 tonight. Picking up Radio Australia faintly on 15515. Think I'll send a QSL just for kicks.

Now listening to to Cuban propaganda on 11760. This is so fun!

Elijah fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 11, 2007

Shastao
Jan 10, 2006
Some kind of high speed code on 4005.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Elijah posted:

Just got my E5 tonight. Picking up Radio Australia faintly on 15515. Think I'll send a QSL just for kicks.

Now listening to to Cuban propaganda on 11760. This is so fun!

Just wait till you pick up Voice of Korea. Boy, are you in for a treat. VOK was how I busted my commie propaganda cherry (not with Radio Havana, like most people) and it blew my mind. The first time I picked up VOK, I was on the community college campus between classes in the evening while waiting for my late-night astronomy lab. I had brought the E5 and a reel-up long wire with me and strung it up in a tree. I listened to a 30 minute "opera" in poorly-translated Engrish singing the praises of the fearless leader Kim Jong Il.

Did I mention this was in public? Other students wandered by and listened for a little while. Some made rather choice comments about what I was listening to, including:

"That's ducked up dude."
"You have too much free time."
"Why do you hate freedom?"

I was talking to my chemistry professor (another SW enthusiast) the next day, and he just said "Yeah, it really is hard not to laugh at tyrannical dictators."

Edit:

Shastao posted:

Some kind of high speed code on 4005.

I've heard that lots of times, and I don't think its a code. I think its a Radiofax/RTTY frequency. I'll do some checking and try to find out the origin.

2nd Edit:

Yeah, that's some kind of Radio Teletype frequency, just don't know what its for.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 11, 2007

Shastao
Jan 10, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

Yeah, that's some kind of Radio Teletype frequency, just don't know what its for.

Ah, okay. It sounds really awesome, though.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Reading through this thread brought back lots of good memories. My first shortwave set was a heathkit set I built when I was 8. It was an ancient kit that I think my dad bought when he was much younger, but I found it in the attic, and that was that.

With that old homebuilt crotchity thing, I got pretty good reception. I discovered a few numbers stations, but was way too young to understand what they were. Strangely enough, being a weird kid, I was more interested in finding out what caused some of the neat "interference" sounds, than the actual broadcasts I picked up.

I'm currently unemployed, so I will probably not be buying a radio, but when I do, I'll have to see if I can start cataloguing different types of interference sounds, unless someone else has done it.

EDIT: gently caress it, I just got an Eton from a friend of mine for $50.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 11, 2007

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

blugu64 posted:

It gets even creepier when you listen to it:
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/brogers/buzzer.mp3

Oh wow. I used to hear this when I listened as a kid! I NEVER understood what it was; I assumed it was some kind of intereference.

Wow.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

nitrogen posted:

I'm currently unemployed, so I will probably not be buying a radio, but when I do, I'll have to see if I can start cataloguing different types of interference sounds, unless someone else has done it.

There's a catalog of interference sounds/causes with audio clips in the OP provided by Halah.

My mom used to pick up the buzzer when she was a kid too. She says it gave her nightmares.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

AstroZamboni posted:

There's a catalog of interference sounds/causes with audio clips in the OP provided by Halah.

My mom used to pick up the buzzer when she was a kid too. She says it gave her nightmares.

I didn't even realize those were links to sounds. The RV Refrigeration one sounds quite familiar.

I used to hear even weirder noises than this, like noises that sounded like they came from some bad sci-fi movie, like a synthesized whirring noise being the most memorable.

EDIT SO I DON'T poo poo UP THIS THREAD:
I found a picture of my old heathkit on the internets. I wish my dad hadn't have tossed it:

*sigh* MEMORIES...
And the drat eaton I was about to buy doesn't do SSB so I'm on the lookout for something else. Even this 70's piece of poo poo did ssb.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 11, 2007

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

nitrogen posted:

I didn't even realize those were links to sounds. The RV Refrigeration one sounds quite familiar.

I used to hear even weirder noises than this, like noises that sounded like they came from some bad sci-fi movie, like a synthesized whirring noise being the most memorable.

Those might have been intentional jamming signals, "bubble jammers" and the like.

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title
Anyone know what I'm hearing right now on 4810? It sounds a lot like WWV, but there are no time stations listed in Passport for that frequency. Signals really weak, lots of interference and fading.

Woah, total nut case on 3215, Adventist World Radio, babbling about some secret machine or something he saw loving with a town's electricity and blowing poo poo up, or at least I think that's what he's talking about. I know this is common stuff for you guys, but to someone who's just had his shortwave cherry popped, this is a holy poo poo moment!

Elijah fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 11, 2007

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
Sorry it was AM. I am so amazed I picked up something from Japan! (ya the station was 100 japanese.) Now I wanna hear voice of korea. Last night my speaker wire antenna was really helping out. I need to get my lazy rear end into getting some of the antenna outside so I can hear more stuff. Does antenna lenght affect what stations I can get? I understand very little about antennas. Anybody wanna give me some insight? Maybe I should get the slinky antenna a try LOL.

EDIT: anybody know where these stations are broadcasting out of?

9930 khz- This station came in very faint. I think it was playing some sort of music.

Capnbigboobies fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 11, 2007

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title

Capnbigboobies posted:

Sorry it was AM. I am so amazed I picked up something from Japan! (ya the station was 100 japanese.) Now I wanna hear voice of korea. Last night my speaker wire antenna was really helping out. I need to get my lazy rear end into getting some of the antenna outside so I can hear more stuff. Does antenna lenght affect what stations I can get? I understand very little about antennas. Anybody wanna give me some insight? Maybe I should get the slinky antenna a try LOL.

EDIT: anybody know where these stations are broadcasting out of?

I picked up Radio Japan on 6110, but unfortunately, I guess it was broadcast out of Canada, so it's not quite as exciting. It was an English show called "Pop-Up Japan," and featured two corny guys playing some awful Japanese pop music. Quite entertaining.

It helps if you list the times you picked the stations up, but here's what they most likely were:

9715 - Family Radio out of Florida
9890 - Uh, maybe the Netherlands? China does transmit a couple stations on that frequency, but I doubt you would ahve picked it up.
9930 - Really not sure.

Here's what I picked up last night and wrote down notes on:

15515 - Radio Australia. Played Latin music, had some call-in quiz contest about tennis. Hard to understand.
11760 - Radio Havana Cuba. Talked about how the "U.S. wars of aggression against Iraq and Afghanistan" cost our taxpayers 12 billion dollars a month, a figure they repeated many times. And they pointed out that the Irish Republican Army has been resisting occupation for almost a century. :D
9370 - Fundamental Broadcasting Network. Played some hymns, which were actually pleasant to listen to for a few minutes.
6855 - Family Radio. Listened to a sermon.
6110 - Radio Japan (see above).
5850 - WEWN. Catholic radio. Some priest was talking about qualities to look for in a spouse. Ironic, no?
3215 - Adventist World Radio. Crazy whackjob claiming he saw some big secret machine the size of a semi that knocked out a town's electricity, blowing up appliances and poo poo. Kind of like a HERF device, from what I understood.
5580 - Radio Marti, the U.S. government-funded station out of California that broadcasts to Cuba. Caught my ear because they were playing the song "Guantanamera." Pretty cool.

Elijah fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 11, 2007

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Elijah posted:

Anyone know what I'm hearing right now on 4810? It sounds a lot like WWV, but there are no time stations listed in Passport for that frequency. Signals really weak, lots of interference and fading.

I've heard WWV on other random frequencies before, and always assumed hey were RF reflections of some sort. However, it is possible that they do tests of their transmitters on other frequencies at times. Who knows?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

AstroZamboni posted:

I've heard WWV on other random frequencies before, and always assumed hey were RF reflections of some sort. However, it is possible that they do tests of their transmitters on other frequencies at times. Who knows?
It's far more likely that WWV and some other strong station are mixing inside the radio and coming out on this resultant frequency.

For instance, WWV on 2500 and a strong local MW station on 1310 would mix to produce the mysterious 4810 frequency. Or WWV on 10000 and something on 5190 would subtract to make 4810.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
I have sensitive ears, and I bet a lot of new listeners are experiencing the same problems I had with noise.

A few for reducing listening fatigue:

-set your radio's tone control to "news"
-use a CHEAP set of headphones that roll off the highs, alternatively get heaphones designed for communications
-put a 1k ohm resistor between the radio's output and your headphones

Think about it-- the only thing you really want to hear is in the normal human vocal range.

Danton
Nov 10, 2005

by Ozma
I'm interested in picking up a low-cost portable to get some of the weirder overseas stations (thinking the DE1103), but I'm worried about reception. I live in the city in a ground-floor apartment with multi-story buildings in every direction. I don't actually have upstairs neighbors due to the building layout, but I'm worried that either interference or obstructions will make the it a waste of time. Anyone have any experience with SW listening in cities? Would I need some $500 set to pick anything up?

Also, what kind of stations could I expect living in the northeast? Will I get anything besides Europe and possibly Cuba?

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Elijah posted:

I picked up Radio Japan on 6110, but unfortunately, I guess it was broadcast out of Canada, so it's not quite as exciting. It was an English show called "Pop-Up Japan," and featured two corny guys playing some awful Japanese pop music. Quite entertaining.

It helps if you list the times you picked the stations up, but here's what they most likely were:

9715 - Family Radio out of Florida
9890 - Uh, maybe the Netherlands? China does transmit a couple stations on that frequency, but I doubt you would ahve picked it up.
9930 - Really not sure.

Here's what I picked up last night and wrote down notes on:

15515 - Radio Australia. Played Latin music, had some call-in quiz contest about tennis. Hard to understand.
11760 - Radio Havana Cuba. Talked about how the "U.S. wars of aggression against Iraq and Afghanistan" cost our taxpayers 12 billion dollars a month, a figure they repeated many times. And they pointed out that the Irish Republican Army has been resisting occupation for almost a century. :D
9370 - Fundamental Broadcasting Network. Played some hymns, which were actually pleasant to listen to for a few minutes.
6855 - Family Radio. Listened to a sermon.
6110 - Radio Japan (see above).
5850 - WEWN. Catholic radio. Some priest was talking about qualities to look for in a spouse. Ironic, no?
3215 - Adventist World Radio. Crazy whackjob claiming he saw some big secret machine the size of a semi that knocked out a town's electricity, blowing up appliances and poo poo. Kind of like a HERF device, from what I understood.
5580 - Radio Marti, the U.S. government-funded station out of California that broadcasts to Cuba. Caught my ear because they were playing the song "Guantanamera." Pretty cool.

Oh sorry my other post had the times. It was 3:41 am pacific time

Capnbigboobies fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 12, 2007

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Danton posted:

I'm interested in picking up a low-cost portable to get some of the weirder overseas stations (thinking the DE1103), but I'm worried about reception. I live in the city in a ground-floor apartment with multi-story buildings in every direction. I don't actually have upstairs neighbors due to the building layout, but I'm worried that either interference or obstructions will make the it a waste of time. Anyone have any experience with SW listening in cities? Would I need some $500 set to pick anything up?

Also, what kind of stations could I expect living in the northeast? Will I get anything besides Europe and possibly Cuba?

Hey doppleganger I'm doing pretty good here how about yourself? Joking aside I live in a three story apartment on the ground floor with some decent sized buildings around. While good for carrying in groceries and saving energy, the first floor sucks for reception. I've got a long wire on the patio stealthy hidden so as not to get complaints and its still mediocre at best. However if you just walk outside and get in a fairly open area a portable will work decently. This is what I usually do. (My neighbors must love me)

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

blugu64 posted:

However if you just walk outside and get in a fairly open area a portable will work decently. This is what I usually do. (My neighbors must love me)

Really. If you don't have anywhere to put an antenna outside, this is the best thing you can do.
Just holding my radio a couple feet out the back door, I can get a nice strong signal where as soon as I pull it just a foot back inside you can't even tell there is a station there.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

^^^^

This is really the kind of situation where a portable receiver will serve you best. It also means you can get the hell out of the city with it when you want a good signal.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I've got San Francisco ARINC at 6673kHz on SSB for anybody that wants to try and listen. Lots of dead air in between transmissions. Makes me wish my radio had squelch like a scanner.

http://www.faa.gov/ats/aat/ifim/ifim0109.htm

EDIT: And now it's gone.

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 12, 2007

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

^^^^

This is really the kind of situation where a portable receiver will serve you best. It also means you can get the hell out of the city with it when you want a good signal.

Where do you go when you want to get out of the city? The side of some county road or what?

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title
I'm getting a faint gospel station right now on 6145, but I can't figure out what it is from Passport. Anyone know?

Edit: World Harvest. Wasn't listed in Passport for that frequency. :ms:

Elijah fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 12, 2007

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
When I want good reception, I go out to the top of the highest hill I can find, which usually is in a very remote area anyway. I can rely almost entirely on auto scan because there is so little interference.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Elijah posted:

I'm getting a faint gospel station right now on 6145, but I can't figure out what it is from Passport. Anyone know?
No obvious images +/- 910 khz, so I dunno? It's doubtful that it's Gospel for Asia, although who knows? :google: doesn't have any answers either.

edit: oh.

edit 2: wow, that was an African feed coming from Maine, nice catch.

nmfree fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 12, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title

nmfree posted:

edit 2: wow, that was an African feed coming from Maine, nice catch.

Really? Cool! Too bad they signed off right before I posted the edit. Where did you find this listed?

• Locked thread