Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

Earwicker posted:

Minya are you back in the Bay yet or what?
yeah and I need a job and a place in the city so anyone reading this who wants to hire / live with me HOLLER AT ME !!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

minya posted:

yeah and I need a job and a place in the city so anyone reading this who wants to hire / live with me HOLLER AT ME !!!!

What can you do?

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Ozma posted:

What can you do?

Post on forums.. and.. i have a university degree

and i'm smart

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

minya posted:

dude my old apartment will still be open next month. let me know if you want to check it out, I'll get you in touch with the girl living there.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

JohnnyRed posted:

dude my old apartment will still be open next month. let me know if you want to check it out, I'll get you in touch with the girl living there.

oh poo poo!

OK awesome

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

minya posted:

oh poo poo!

OK awesome

I PMed you my number, give me a call in like an hour. Or whenever

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

minya posted:

and i'm smart

Up for debate!

No I mean whatcha got qualifications for aside from a DEGREE

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Ozma posted:

Up for debate!

No I mean whatcha got qualifications for aside from a DEGREE

i've worked in a couple offices and I know about fashion and a little bit about computers and I communicate well and I'm easy to work with and stuff :sweatdrop:

Kyckling
Aug 3, 2006
Is there an option other than Craigslist for finding an apartment? I'd like to see as many as possible before settling for something I might not be happy with in 6 months.

Victor Nightingale
May 11, 2005

Kyckling posted:

Is there an option other than Craigslist for finding an apartment? I'd like to see as many as possible before settling for something I might not be happy with in 6 months.

craigslist is the best option in the sfbay area. Everybody uses it for everything.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

mrpuffypants posted:

craigslist is the best option in the sfbay area. Everybody uses it for everything.

That's pretty depressing. I've tried to contact about 5-6 different listings and nobody gives the slightest response. What the hell am I supposed to do to actually get anywhere with this?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

That's pretty depressing. I've tried to contact about 5-6 different listings and nobody gives the slightest response. What the hell am I supposed to do to actually get anywhere with this?

Craigslist has honestly worked best over anything I've tried. The bigger complexes don't seem to put ads up there often (places like The Fillmore Center, for example) so you should try actually calling them if you can. But since competition can be tough it's best to really keep an eye on craigslist and call as soon as you see something. If there's only an e-mail, do that, but make sure you're calling if they give an actual number instead of just e-mailing. I've found that lots of listings that give both an e-mail and a phone number respond only to the latter.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kyckling posted:

Well this doesn't really work in SF, but in Oakland in many neigherhoods you can just walk around and look at "for rent" signs on buildings that are renting and call those numbers, that's how I got a place when I was living over there. It's a good way to get a feel for the neighborhood while your at it. Also there are often open houses in a lot of places on weekends, though these tend to be for more expensive places.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Earwicker posted:

Well this doesn't really work in SF, but in Oakland in many neigherhoods you can just walk around and look at "for rent" signs on buildings that are renting and call those numbers, that's how I got a place when I was living over there. It's a good way to get a feel for the neighborhood while your at it. Also there are often open houses in a lot of places on weekends, though these tend to be for more expensive places.

You can get away with that here if you're looking at specific neighborhoods. I also suggest checking out places like laundromats in a neighborhood you like to see if there's something on a board.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.

Write a good letter and make yourself sound like the most interesting person in the world. And send that letter to as many places as you can. If it's a pretty decent place, these people are getting hundreds of letters.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

Chaucer posted:

Write a good letter and make yourself sound like the most interesting person in the world. And send that letter to as many places as you can. If it's a pretty decent place, these people are getting hundreds of letters.

Is it wise to give out personal information to each listing that comes along? So far I've just been sending a basic description and a phone number if it looks really good.

Sorry to threadjack, but finding a new place out here has preoccupied my life for the moment.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.

Is it wise to give out personal information to each listing that comes along? So far I've just been sending a basic description and a phone number if it looks really good.

Sorry to threadjack, but finding a new place out here has preoccupied my life for the moment.
I told them my age, my sex, and where I'm from. Why I like living in the city and why I decided to move to SF. Then what I do for a living, what hours I work. That I go out on the weekends, see music shows in the week. I am clean and don't have much stuff. Have lived with people plenty of times and what type of people I am looking for (I said "people that are relaxed and fun and easy to talk to, but respect private space"). Then I list some of the music I listen to, that I like to read, like to cook. Looking for a home, not just a place to crash. If you think I'd be a good fit, let me know when would be a good time to see the apartment and meet you.

Then wait for them to e-mail you back.

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

The goon meet I posted way back in January led to a successful group of friends regularly going on adventures, but I see all of you posting and not operating in real life and I think, "Is it time for another goon meet?"

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Sabacc posted:

The goon meet I posted way back in January led to a successful group of friends regularly going on adventures, but I see all of you posting and not operating in real life and I think, "Is it time for another goon meet?"

It's kind of sad that we're chitchatty in here yet I've never met any of you.

Only thing I have on my slate anytime soon is the squaw valley poet fundraiser thingy on the 20th with sharon olds and others- none of y'all will be interested in that so I doubt I can get anyone to go with me. My problem is that I don't like to leave my little cubby in the richmond to go to the scary mission district!

Atrus
Dec 5, 2003

"The ending has not yet been written."

Ask me about CONTRIBUTING TO THE DEATH OF VIDEOGAMES

Sabacc posted:

I would like to direct your attention to this thread. We've been meeting at Zeitgeist on Friday nights pretty regularly and going to do so again tomorrow. Though it starts around 7, some of us with jobs and not living in San Francisco proper (AKA me) show up around 8pm. We're there till around 1am or later.

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

Atrus posted:

I would like to direct your attention to this thread. We've been meeting at Zeitgeist on Friday nights pretty regularly and going to do so again tomorrow. Though it starts around 7, some of us with jobs and not living in San Francisco proper (AKA me) show up around 8pm. We're there till around 1am or later.

Hey aren't you that Boston Emerson goon?

Atrus
Dec 5, 2003

JohnnyRed posted:

Hey aren't you that Boston Emerson goon?
Was that Boston Emerson goon. Got a job in Marin now and enjoying every moment of it!

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma
whatever happened with your game?

Atrus
Dec 5, 2003

JohnnyRed posted:

whatever happened with your game?
Antidote: The Game :emo:

However, it was one of the big reasons why I got my current awesome job. :unsmith:

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma
Yeah I just wanted to play a game with Ernest in it! Any chance I could get a copy on CD?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Atrus posted:

I think I may have sat at a table with you guys by accident last weekend. My friends and I were talking about nerdy semiconductor poo poo, and I think you guys were talking about Linux and HDTVs or something.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Papercut posted:

I think I may have sat at a table with you guys by accident last weekend. My friends and I were talking about nerdy semiconductor poo poo, and I think you guys were talking about Linux and HDTVs or something.

this is why I'm afraid to go to a goon meet

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

Ozma posted:

It's kind of sad that we're chitchatty in here yet I've never met any of you.

Only thing I have on my slate anytime soon is the squaw valley poet fundraiser thingy on the 20th with sharon olds and others- none of y'all will be interested in that so I doubt I can get anyone to go with me. My problem is that I don't like to leave my little cubby in the richmond to go to the scary mission district!

Hey whoa hold on, we had a conversation about MoMa, remember? I am all about that artsy crap.

Man I am [i]furious[/] a regular goon drinking meet has been going on!

Atrus
Dec 5, 2003

Papercut posted:

If the same group had a guy yelling "IT'S A TRAP" at a Canadian every so often, then yes, that was us. But most of my conversations were about the games industry. Because after a long day at work, I like to talk about work. :rolleyes:

Cashball
Aug 26, 2003
I must have read a thousand faces.
Any goons live in North Beach? I'm moving to a flat on Green St. between Grant and Columbus and from what I've seen, parking is a total nightmare around where I'm going to be living.

I'd just like to know what I'm getting myself into and if anyone living near there has any suggestions :(

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Sabacc posted:

Hey whoa hold on, we had a conversation about MoMa, remember? I am all about that artsy crap.

I didn't forget! I just figured general artsy might not extend to standing around in the universalist church on franklin/geary to listen to sharon olds.

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

Cashball posted:

Any goons live in North Beach? I'm moving to a flat on Green St. between Grant and Columbus and from what I've seen, parking is a total nightmare around where I'm going to be living.

I'd just like to know what I'm getting myself into and if anyone living near there has any suggestions :(

I lived in North Beach from january until last week, and I loved it. I lived on Telegraph Hill, on Montgomery at Vallejo (by that sweet garden). I don't drive, but my roomate was always parking on Sansome and walking up the hill, there's almost always parking there. Other than that, good luck parking by Grant and Green!!

I loved living there though, the view was amazing, and it's a really mixed crowd in the area. Skeezers from the strip clubs have coffee in the morning with the drunken beat poets left over from the 60s. Cafe Trieste is awesome, City Lights obviously, Vesuvio is my favorite end of the night bar, and SF Brewing Company on Columbus has great beer. Just over the hill on Union at Columbus you have Rogue, my favorite beer bar in the whole city. For food, Tomasso's is awesome for mid-range priced high-end pizza, and they just opened Enrico's last night, which was loving amazing. It's a little swanky, so I felt weird in there with dunks and my mohawk, but they were really cool and the food was great, and reasonably priced.

It sucks that Cable Car pizza is shut down, but Golden Boy has great Sicilian slices and you can drink beer inside. Oh and there's the sweetest record store on Green up the hill. Forget what it's called, but there's 2 shops: a regular store and a 'basement' with tons of nutty poo poo. Old records for 5 bucks a pop, guitars, tape machines, hi-fi poo poo. It's awesome. In the regular store, the owner is usually smoking a joint and drinking beer, he's great!

I'm honestly going to miss North Beach. I want to move back when I can afford it. It's such a bizarre neighborhood with tons of sweet poo poo going on.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

:siren: Os Mutantes are performing at Stern Grove this Sunday. For free! :siren:

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

JohnnyRed posted:

It sucks that Cable Car pizza is shut down.

You liked 'em? There's one out on Geary that I go past routinely but have not yet eaten at. I always thought it strange that, even when walking past, I smelled NOTHING- even at that little Nizario's place I go to constantly on Geary/2nd you smell something coming past. The Yelp reviews for it aren't forgiving.

I'm picky in a weird way about pizza; I have to have my crust just-so. I was a big North Beach Pizza person but I swear to god they've changed their crust recipe so it's too heavy and doesn't bake right. I'm all about Cybelle's now.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The best pizza in the city is Serrano's. Period.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Earwicker posted:

The best pizza in the city is Serrano's. Period.

Never had 'em. They deliver to richmond?

No pizza tonight though, I think we're going to Han Il Kwan
http://www.yelp.com/biz/fLVhlwm_XQ41YiSCrN8Vlw

I've never had Korean before.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

No I don't think they do. They're in the mission on 21st between Mission and Valencia.

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

Ozma posted:

You liked 'em? There's one out on Geary that I go past routinely but have not yet eaten at. I always thought it strange that, even when walking past, I smelled NOTHING- even at that little Nizario's place I go to constantly on Geary/2nd you smell something coming past. The Yelp reviews for it aren't forgiving.

I'm picky in a weird way about pizza; I have to have my crust just-so. I was a big North Beach Pizza person but I swear to god they've changed their crust recipe so it's too heavy and doesn't bake right. I'm all about Cybelle's now.

Nizario's is my favorite in the city right now. It's on the same block as my girlfriend, so most times after a late show, I'd rather just go to her place, mainly for the slices. poo poo, Nizario's is so good.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

JohnnyRed posted:

Nizario's is my favorite in the city right now. It's on the same block as my girlfriend, so most times after a late show, I'd rather just go to her place, mainly for the slices. poo poo, Nizario's is so good.

They're good for cheap pizza, about as good for me as Blondie's downtown. The guys in the actual shop are alway sweet to me too so that's a bonus. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gymp
Dec 9, 2003

I live in Santa Cruz and my girlfriend and I were gonna go spend the weekend in SF. Her father has an apartment in the Civic center area right by china town and little italy. Besides Os Mutantes' free show on Sunday, are there any other events or fun outdoor activities to do?

• Locked thread