Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

Ozma posted:

I didn't forget! I just figured general artsy might not extend to standing around in the universalist church on franklin/geary to listen to sharon olds.

Have you seen the new Matisse showing at MoMa? Has everyone? It's incredible, the kind of thing biographers decades from now will comment that after so-and-so photographer viewed it it had a profound impact on his work. I'm not kidding.

Also, their playing Jean Renoir films!

Also also, it's Silent Film Festival week! Sssh! Man I love this city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Sabacc posted:

Have you seen the new Matisse showing at MoMa? Has everyone? It's incredible, the kind of thing biographers decades from now will comment that after so-and-so photographer viewed it it had a profound impact on his work. I'm not kidding.

I need to go but haven't yet; I think for some reason I was postponing my visit to wait for another thing to come in at MoMa.

I need to get to the asian art museum soon, too.

Zoccoli
Feb 12, 2004

Everything that stands will be at odds with its neighbor, and everything that falls will perish without grace

Ozma posted:

Never had 'em. They deliver to richmond?

No pizza tonight though, I think we're going to Han Il Kwan
http://www.yelp.com/biz/fLVhlwm_XQ41YiSCrN8Vlw

I've never had Korean before.
Korean food in general is pretty great, though I do hate kimchi (and most other pickled things), which is essential to Korean cuisine. Please let me know what you think of Han Il Kwan! I pass it every day on the bus, but I've never been despite its' great reputation. I often see huge tour buses parked in front, dumping tons of Korean tourists into that place.

Quick poll: best sushi in the city? Follow-up: best sushi in the Richmond/Sunset?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Zoccoli posted:

Korean food in general is pretty great, though I do hate kimchi (and most other pickled things), which is essential to Korean cuisine. Please let me know what you think of Han Il Kwan! I pass it every day on the bus, but I've never been despite its' great reputation. I often see huge tour buses parked in front, dumping tons of Korean tourists into that place.

Quick poll: best sushi in the city? Follow-up: best sushi in the Richmond/Sunset?

the best sushi I've had in the city is Ozuma but its really expensive

There's also an awesome place on Cortland up in Bernal Heights but I can't remember the name of it. but I think its the only sushi place there.

In the Sunset theres a really good place across from the Canvas Gallery that starts with an "E"

I normally just go to WeBe Sushi on Valencia near 16th which isn't exactly amazing but its great for a casual meal. There's also a really good organic place on Mission between 17th and 18th

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Zoccoli posted:

I'll tell you what I think of it after; I pass it every day too and it always smells good. I notice the tour buses too! I'm actually a kimchee fan (or I was when I tried it as a teenager) so I may be OK with that.

Best sushi? No idea- I'm just beginning my foray into sushi so I wouldn't know. But I did really enjoy Tanuki in Richmond.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/rd0dA9Z61FGmalk6qZm7JQ

It's a small place that crowds quickly but I enjoyed it.

It's not sushi but I do have to pimp the japanese place I love in richmond, too:

Sanmi
http://www.yelp.com/biz/0dkDfIsdp1VaxRBalZwirQ

I have actually had sushi there (I've tried their california roll and -don't laugh- their philadelphia roll) and it was fine but it's obviously not their forte. But every time I've been there I've had great food, and I'm normally really timid about trying new things.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Zoccoli posted:

Chin Sushi is my favorite in the Richmond. California at 6th. Try the shrimp churn fun, it's amazing.

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma
Best Sushi in the bay is Kirala in Berkeley, hands down. It's pricey, but totally worth it! Also, you can't make reservations, so expect to wait a while on the weekends. Again, totally worth the wait. This is like celebration, date-night type of poo poo though. Get a 2-person sashimi plate and some decent sake, and it's a great time.

http://www.themenupage.com/kirala.html

As for SF, I'm not totally sure. There's a spot across from Rogue on Union/Columbus that has all-you-can-eat for 22 bucks, but it's more quantity over quality. Sushi Boom is okay for the price in the Inner Richmond.

One more note on North Beach though, check out Yous Dim Sum on Broadway. That place has fresh Dim Sum for SO CHEAP! You can get orders of Sui Mai and Hai Gau (sp?) for like a buck and change!

JohnnyRed fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 13, 2007

hermanos
Dec 30, 2005

Magoo said that the "bird's the word"
But the Fur Byrd Gang flip birds on curbs

Ozma posted:

I'm picky in a weird way about pizza; I have to have my crust just-so. I was a big North Beach Pizza person but I swear to god they've changed their crust recipe so it's too heavy and doesn't bake right. I'm all about Cybelle's now.

I had Mythic Pizza on Haight (I think) with a friend the other day. It was loving good. A little greasy, but the taste was great. The garlic bread was kinda soso, though-- it's the kind that's just toasted bread with mozzarella and bits of garlic.

conner
Apr 11, 2003

an infinite gray path that fills n-dimensional space.
hopefully posting this isn't too inappropriate -

i was supposed to get a place with some kids i already knew in the bay area, but they bailed at the last minute. i am moving there in august to start a job, but currently i am in new orleans. i am seeking a one bedroom place to live. if anyone knows if any places going up right now, or leads on where to look - please let me know and help a goon out! :)

ideally, it would be somewhat close/accessible to the caltrain station since i'll be taking it to work in cupertinio.

CurlyFries
Jul 7, 2004

JohnnyRed posted:

Stuff about Kirala.

I have to completely agree. Kirala is the best in the Bay. I grew up right around the corner (on fulton st.) and my family would always go for Birthdays and other celebrations. I'm at home for the summer right now and I definitely have to get down there soon.

Zoccoli
Feb 12, 2004

Everything that stands will be at odds with its neighbor, and everything that falls will perish without grace
Kirala is pretty good, but it's kind of over-priced, and it's definitely no Sushi House (in Alameda). :colbert:

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I needed recommendations because I took my girlfriend to Sushi Bang on 19th & Geary the last time she visited, and it was so bad that she got mad at me. :(

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Zoccoli posted:

Kirala is pretty good, but it's kind of over-priced, and it's definitely no Sushi House (in Alameda). :colbert:

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I needed recommendations because I took my girlfriend to Sushi Bang on 19th & Geary the last time she visited, and it was so bad that she got mad at me. :(
Take her to the Sushi Rock on Geary next time you want her to get mad. I think things have gone to poo poo since they expanded out here (if they were good to begin with). I liked watching them go from overly optimistic with lots of fish in a big tank to getting film for the windows so no one can tell that the restaurant is pretty much loving empty night after night.

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

Zoccoli posted:

Sushi house is alright, but it's way Americanized in there. Plus, it's where the old Lyon's was, and it creeps me out to go in there now. But you can't do a traditional Sashimi in there.

Again, Kirala is like the special place. You go there to get a real Japanese meal, with the freshest cuts I've ever had.

Cashball
Aug 26, 2003
I must have read a thousand faces.

JohnnyRed posted:

I lived in North Beach from january until last week, and I loved it. I lived on Telegraph Hill, on Montgomery at Vallejo (by that sweet garden). I don't drive, but my roomate was always parking on Sansome and walking up the hill, there's almost always parking there. Other than that, good luck parking by Grant and Green!!

It sucks that Cable Car pizza is shut down, but Golden Boy has great Sicilian slices and you can drink beer inside. Oh and there's the sweetest record store on Green up the hill. Forget what it's called, but there's 2 shops: a regular store and a 'basement' with tons of nutty poo poo. Old records for 5 bucks a pop, guitars, tape machines, hi-fi poo poo. It's awesome. In the regular store, the owner is usually smoking a joint and drinking beer, he's great!

ugh...maybe I'll just sell my car and get a bike. I'm actually living directly across the street from Golden Boy so I've been anxious to try it out ever since my future roomate went to go grab a slice and the guy at the counter offered him some pot. Can't wait!!

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

conner posted:

ideally, it would be somewhat close/accessible to the caltrain station since i'll be taking it to work in cupertinio.
You know the Caltrain doesn't get within three miles of Cupertino, right?

My impression is that Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Mountain View, and Palo Alto are more expensive than the rest of the area. I haven't looked too closely though. Follow Craigslist.

I may be looking for this myself next year. What are some decent, cheap areas between SF and south bay? Maybe San Jose as well.

nyquil
May 1, 2003

Earwicker posted:

:siren: Os Mutantes are performing at Stern Grove this Sunday. For free! :siren:

I'm there, Os Mutantes is rad

I'll also definitely be checking out that Matisse exhibit sometime soon.

conner
Apr 11, 2003

an infinite gray path that fills n-dimensional space.

Captain Cool posted:

You know the Caltrain doesn't get within three miles of Cupertino, right?

My impression is that Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Mountain View, and Palo Alto are more expensive than the rest of the area. I haven't looked too closely though. Follow Craigslist.

I may be looking for this myself next year. What are some decent, cheap areas between SF and south bay? Maybe San Jose as well.

My job provides a shuttle which goes from the Mountain View caltrain to work and back on a decent schedule. I lived in Cupertino during an internship last summer so I sorta know that area OK ... too concrete for my taste, i want some place with a little more character and life.

I am trying to find areas in the san francisco city proper .. maybe mission? soma? i'm not too sure...

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

conner posted:

My job provides a shuttle which goes from the Mountain View caltrain to work and back on a decent schedule. I lived in Cupertino during an internship last summer so I sorta know that area OK ... too concrete for my taste, i want some place with a little more character and life.

I am trying to find areas in the san francisco city proper .. maybe mission? soma? i'm not too sure...

If you want to be close to the Caltrain in the city, you have the choice of SOMA or Potrero Hill/Dogpatch. I live in Po Hill, which is a little less expensive and a little less busy than SOMA, and it's closer to the parts of town that I care about (IE Mission). The station is at 22nd and Pennsylvania. If you have $1500/mo you can get a pretty nice 1 bedroom. You'll need a car though, since there's not much within walking distance aside from the train and the T-line on 3rd.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
Okay, I've got a new place in Berkeley and am more of less set for the coming year. One question remains: What good bars are there around UCB? I've looked back through this thread and found lots of good advice regarding food, but not much about bars. I'm in the area between Shattuck and Telegraph, so places on or near either of those would be preferable, but I'm open to some travel if necessary. Are certain places known for different crowds? For instance, at my old school one bar was known as the place law school students went, though obviously it was far from exclusively them, while others were more grad-centered or so forth.

hermanos
Dec 30, 2005

Magoo said that the "bird's the word"
But the Fur Byrd Gang flip birds on curbs
If you're into comics--

Mike Carey, writer of Lucifer, Hellblazer, X-Men, Ultimate Fantastic Four, and other very good comics is going to be signing at Isotope Comics this Saturday from 8pm to midnight. Info can be found here.

326 Fell St, cross street Gough.

Just so that this is a telling and asking post, how do you say Gough? Is it Goff or Go (as in Van Gogh)?

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

hermanos posted:

If you're into comics--

Mike Carey, writer of Lucifer, Hellblazer, X-Men, Ultimate Fantastic Four, and other very good comics is going to be signing at Isotope Comics this Saturday from 8pm to midnight. Info can be found here.

326 Fell St, cross street Gough.

Just so that this is a telling and asking post, how do you say Gough? Is it Goff or Go (as in Van Gogh)?

never been on a talking bus? It's Goff.

That sounds cool, thanks for the heads-up. In addition:

The Otherside tonight at Bottom of the Hill.

Let's Go Sailing and Oh No Oh My at Independent on Wednesday.

Crown City Rockers this weekend? Not sure when/where, but should be good.

MF Doom tix for next month now on sale through ticketweb

Saw Manicato and Bayonics at Elbo Room this weekend. Good poo poo! We left in the middle of Bayonics set, but it was all pretty tight.

nosml
Jan 14, 2003
Changing the topic back to pizza... I suggest everyone try Little Star Pizza on Valencia. Normally, I dislike deep dish pizza, but I've really become addicted to that place.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.
So, who here is going to the Gilroy Garlic Festival on the weekend of July 28-29? :D

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma
Free show at Mezzanine on Monday. Chromeo, Flosstradamus, Richie Panic. RSVP below:

http://sanfrancisco.going.com/chromeo

Also, bought my MF Doom tickets last night. Yes!

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

minya posted:

this is why I'm afraid to go to a goon meet

There've got to be some decent Watch & Weight type goons out there, no? I might be moving out to SF soon, so there'd be one more I guess.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Noctone posted:

Watch & Weight type goons

oh I get it, so those of us who don't want to post daily outfit pictures are chopped liver eh?

I kid I kid!

nyquil
May 1, 2003

Sonic Youth is playing in Berkeley on Thursday! I might try to go but it's probably sold out :(

I have a question too though. Are there any free places to park around the Civic Center. I only see those $10ish per-day lots. I'm considering driving from Berkeley to SF for school next year, because if I take BART I'll have to lug my big ol' instrument with me.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

nyquil posted:

I have a question too though. Are there any free places to park around the Civic Center.

Only if you're very lucky and get street parking that's sorta kinda within walking distance. I think it would be tough, though.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Ozma posted:

oh I get it, so those of us who don't want to post daily outfit pictures are chopped liver eh?

I kid I kid!

Pretty much. (;

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Fine dude I'm going to post my outfit in there right now, I'm wearing jeans and a black hoodie. WILL I FIT IN?!

:mad:

Captain Hero
Nov 25, 2005

by Eris Is Goddess

Zoccoli posted:

I haven't been to Kirala but I can't imagine it topping Sushi House. Sushi House has, admittedly, lost a bit of its charm and quality but is still very very good.
I feel very fortunate to have eaten there many times before they expanded for the first time, and then many times again before the current incarnation. The new place...busier than ever, prices just as good, quality...a step down due to all the hands in the pot, or on the bar, or slicing the fish, or whatever.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
sushi house is good but it feels "touristy."

oddly enough Kabuki up here in petaluma is freaking amazing. probably the best sushi I've ever had (although I haven't had sushi in SF in a long time)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

minya posted:

That's why I haven't gone thus far but my interest is piqued if you guys seriously say it's good.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

Ozma posted:

That's why I haven't gone thus far but my interest is piqued if you guys seriously say it's good.

the food is good but they have tons of $15 fancy gringo rolls with mayonnaise and crab and poo poo in them

they didn't have very much exotic or unique or interesting fish available when I went. although I didn't sit at the bar because I was with a bunch of noobs who put so much wasabi in the soy sauce it turns into a sickening green sludge

Sinnach
Dec 10, 2003

Mathematical.

nyquil posted:

Sonic Youth is playing in Berkeley on Thursday! I might try to go but it's probably sold out :(

Me and two of my friends are going to this show! Then I'll be back up on Sunday at Bimbo's to see Slint play all of their Spiderland album. That one I'm really looking foward to.

Edit: I just checked ticketmaster (ugh) and it looks like there might be 50 tickets left at 35+9.50 service charge (serious, these guys have the most obscene service charges, I was going to go see Porcupine Tree a while back but tickets were like 45 or 55 plus the same service charge. I love those guys, but I would rather find a place that offers tickets cheaper if possible)

Sinnach fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 17, 2007

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

minya posted:

Yeah exactly. It's not bad, it's actually really good sushi. But the atmosphere really puts me off, and it's definitely not a 'nice' place. When I go for sushi, most times I'm in 'date-mode' or celebration-mode. I'm already prepared to be spending some money, so I'd rather go to a nice sushi spot.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Ozma posted:

Fine dude I'm going to post my outfit in there right now, I'm wearing jeans and a black hoodie. WILL I FIT IN?!

:mad:

You probably would, actually. :) Dunno really, though, haven't looked at the thread in a while. I love fashion but I got pretty tired of actually discussing it on the internet. That and it makes me sad to look at other people's new clothes because I haven't been able to afford them for a while. :(

Getting back on topic. I know this has probably been addressed, but 40 pages is a lot to wade through. ): Assuming I do get the job I'm interviewing for (second phone interview tomorrow!), are there any fairly clean neighborhoods that are relatively close to SoMa but not quite as expensive? The company I'm interviewing with is located in SoMa. I'd prefer not to have a long commute to work, especially since it'll probably be 70-80 hour work weeks, and I don't know if I would be able to afford something directly in SoMa.

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

Speaking of free shows, anyone going to the Flavorpill anniversary / Ratatat show tomorrow?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sabacc posted:

Speaking of free shows, anyone going to the Flavorpill anniversary / Ratatat show tomorrow?

No, but since we are all talkin about upcoming shows now I am going to these:

Sunday 7/22 - Anoushka Shankar at Stern Grove

Friday 7/27 - Sila and the Afrofunk Experience, Baba Ken and Afro-groove Connexion at the Independant

Saturday 7/28 - MIA at Richshaw Stop

Sunday 7/29 Hugh Masekela at Stern Grove

By the way if you go to a show at Stern Grove make sure to get there early - like several hours early - as its hard to get a spot otherwise. And bring your own drinks because they don't sell alchohol there. These shows are always awesome though and having a nice picnic and getting a bit drunk on a Sunday morning is a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nixar55
Jul 25, 2003

She packed my bags last night. Pre-flight. Zero hour nine a.m. And I'm gonna be high as a kite by then.
I'm so excited. This time tomorrow, I'll be in SF. I'm really looking forward to seeing all the usual sights, but I'm also looking forward to checking out a lot of the restaurants (Mi Lindo Yucatan) and bars (Zeitgeist and Gestalt!).

Maybe I missed it, but what's a good Indian restaurant? Not too expensive, preferably. How about Moroccan?

What's the free paper I should pick up to check out local events? SF Weekly? And does the $45 Muni pass work on cable cars, streetcars, buses and BART? I'm still a little confused about that. I'll be in SF all of next week and my friends have a car, but I don't want them to drive me around everywhere and besides, they have day jobs, so I'll be sightseeing solo. Any help would be appreciated.

• Locked thread