Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Elijah posted:

Really? Cool! Too bad they signed off right before I posted the edit. Where did you find this listed?
:google: World Harvest Radio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeMan
Jun 24, 2007

Lose your time, lose your mind, drink that wine.
I hadn't been shortwaving in a while, I had been waiting for a particularly warm night, and saving my last good cigar for it. I usually listen downstairs, and the reception is likely worse through a lair of housing that is the upper floor of the house. So, I wanted to go out onto the balcony on the top floor and listen to see what I could get.

Finally it came today. I live RIGHT off the Puget Sound (can see the water from my balcony). Pulled up a chair and tuned in. I swear I must have gotten hundreds of stations, lots weren't easy to hear, but quite a few were easy to hear. I was astounded at all the creepy preachers and conspiracy nuts around the 5000-6000 frequency. I managed to get the Spanish counting numbers lady on two very different frequencies, and a couple REALLY weird Morse code/emergency broadcast sounding stations (one notable one was 6320). I also managed to pick up what sounded like radio Netherlands really well.

Incredible stuff though.

Danton
Nov 10, 2005

by Ozma

blugu64 posted:

Hey doppleganger I'm doing pretty good here how about yourself? Joking aside I live in a three story apartment on the ground floor with some decent sized buildings around. While good for carrying in groceries and saving energy, the first floor sucks for reception. I've got a long wire on the patio stealthy hidden so as not to get complaints and its still mediocre at best. However if you just walk outside and get in a fairly open area a portable will work decently. This is what I usually do. (My neighbors must love me)

Well, it happens that they've knocked down the building right behind my room so hopefully that would help. I'd like to string a long wire up to the roof of the building (I think I could get away with it), but while there is a courtyard that my room faces out on, it actually belongs to the building next-door so I have no access to it. I'm really more interested in recording some of these odd stations, so walking around the neighborhood with a portable and a set of headphones is possible but I'd prefer to be able to stay at home with my other sound equipment.

Maybe I could just go up on the roof? Either way I think I'm going to get the DE1103. Anyone have any experience with the china-based sellers on ebay?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

blugu64 posted:

Where do you go when you want to get out of the city? The side of some county road or what?

I have family who live about 40 miles out of town in a fairly rural area. I sometimes go there, or I also take the SW with me when I take my telescope out to the middle of nowhere to get out of light pollution in the city.

Edited to add:

Danton posted:

Maybe I could just go up on the roof? Either way I think I'm going to get the DE1103. Anyone have any experience with the china-based sellers on ebay?

If you're getting the (Degen-branded) DE1103, be aware that if you're in the US you'll have to get a different power adapter than the one that comes with it. And all of the buttons are in chinese characters.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 12, 2007

Danton
Nov 10, 2005

by Ozma

AstroZamboni posted:

If you're getting the (Degen-branded) DE1103, be aware that if you're in the US you'll have to get a different power adapter than the one that comes with it. And all of the buttons are in chinese characters.

I'll probably be running it on rechargable AAs mostly. Any idea of what the voltage and polarity requirements are? I'm sure I'll be able to figure out what the buttons are for with a little trial and error.

How does the E10 stack up? I see a number of them on ebay with US sellers for about the same price as the 1103s, but is it as good as the E5? Radio Intelligencer doesn't have a review, and I'd like to get my radio before I go on a trip to rural maine.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
UK update!

I have replaced my SMA to BNC adapter thanks to a trip to my local Maplins, so I will be taking my radios to England's delightful Lake District area this weekend where I am camping, walking up mountains, and kayaking. I will try and get some decent signals from the top of the mountain, and also from the campsite late at night. The hills around wont matter, obviously, as it'll be skywave etc.

I'll try and record some things.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Danton posted:

How does the E10 stack up? I see a number of them on ebay with US sellers for about the same price as the 1103s, but is it as good as the E5? Radio Intelligencer doesn't have a review, and I'd like to get my radio before I go on a trip to rural maine.

Actually, they do. Mostly. The radio in the linked review has a different casing, same radio. Tecsun manufactures the bulk of Eton's product line with the notable exception being the E5.

In all honesty, while a good radio, the E10 is NOT as good as the E5. There is no longwave capability, no SSB circuitry, far fewer station presets, and the "antenna trim feature is nigh useless. For the extra 20 bucks you get way better features, and a more complete "shortwave experience."

Edit to add:

For the record, here is the review of the Tecsun equivalent of the E100, if anyone's interested.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 12, 2007

Danton
Nov 10, 2005

by Ozma

AstroZamboni posted:

Actually, they do. Mostly. The radio in the linked review has a different casing, same radio. Tecsun manufactures the bulk of Eton's product line with the notable exception being the E5.

In all honesty, while a good radio, the E10 is NOT as good as the E5. There is no longwave capability, no SSB circuitry, far fewer station presets, and the "antenna trim feature is nigh useless. For the extra 20 bucks you get way better features, and a more complete "shortwave experience."

I might consider the E5, I'll have to wait on the paycheck for this week and see how things go. The shipping on the DE1103 may be high enough to make it worth spending the extra few dollars on a better peice of kit.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Danton posted:

I might consider the E5, I'll have to wait on the paycheck for this week and see how things go. The shipping on the DE1103 may be high enough to make it worth spending the extra few dollars on a better peice of kit.

I looked at the Degen 1103, but ended up getting the Kaito 1103, which is the same exact thing (and has a US power adaptor) and ended up being significantly cheaper.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I looked at the Degen 1103, but ended up getting the Kaito 1103, which is the same exact thing (and has a US power adaptor) and ended up being significantly cheaper.

This is true. All except for less presets and a different interface, the KA1103 has all of the features of the E5 at a lower price. If you're on a budget, this is one to consider.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

AstroZamboni posted:

Edit to add:

For the record, here is the review of the Tecsun equivalent of the E100, if anyone's interested.

This is the exact reason I returned the E10. I think its a good value for 50 bucks, (frys is selling refurbs for that much!) but not 129.99 or whatever the MSRP is on it. I am just going to keep using the goon-given radio until I can afford one what can do everything that is recommended in this thread. Ha, the antenna trim feature was useless. One thing that pushed me over the edge was that the E10 could not get any other new stations. The DX-375 could get every station the E10 could get.

Oh man last night I got radio Australia on 9580khz at 4am pacific time! That is so far away from the SF bay area. Can anyone conform if thats where it was broadcast from? I really need get one of those books that have all the stations.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Capnbigboobies posted:

This is the exact reason I returned the E10. I think its a good value for 50 bucks, (frys is selling refurbs for that much!) but not 129.99 or whatever the MSRP is on it. I am just going to keep using the goon-given radio until I can afford one what can do everything that is recommended in this thread. Ha, the antenna trim feature was useless. One thing that pushed me over the edge was that the E10 could not get any other new stations. The DX-375 could get every station the E10 could get.

Oh man last night I got radio Australia on 9580khz at 4am pacific time! That is so far away from the SF bay area. Can anyone conform if thats where it was broadcast from? I really need get one of those books that have all the stations.

Check this site: http://www.primetimeshortwave.com/

Most broadcasters also have websites with frequencies listed if you want to make sure it's not a repeater you're hearing. You can also just google search the frequency.

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title

Capnbigboobies posted:

Congrats! I got them from Iowa on 15515 the other night. Yes, it is broadcast out of Shepparton.

What do you guys do for reception reports if you can't understand the language?

Woah, I think I'm getting Radio Rebelde on 5025 right now. It's a 1/5, but I can hear it just a little bit. I heard them say "Habana" when they gave station ID.

Elijah fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 13, 2007

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Wow, weird! I got continuous groups of 5 letters in morse on 9060 around 0835 zulu. It was going by fairly fast, definitely machine generated. The format makes me think it might be a numbers station.

mawrucre
Feb 8, 2004

AstroZamboni posted:

The two companies selling on ebay right now include a power adapter for the country it is shipped to (American adapter if shipped to US, British if shipped to Britain, etc), the buttons are in English, and the manual is in Chinese but they include a CD with the manual in English. The DE1103 is about $80 shipped to your door, no taxes, the cheapest KA1103 I could find was more than $80 and didn't include taxes and shipping and handling. It gets very good reviews with 4.7/5 on eham with over 37 votes.

http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende1103.htm
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4288

Basically, if someone is looking at a KA1103 they should get the DE1103 since they are the exact same radio, one is just cheaper. I'm still waiting for mine to make it to me from China :(.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

meatpotato posted:

Wow, weird! I got continuous groups of 5 letters in morse on 9060 around 0835 zulu. It was going by fairly fast, definitely machine generated. The format makes me think it might be a numbers station.

More than likely. There is a lot of CW numbers traffic out there, more than there is voice!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

:siren:-START- GENERAL THREAD NOTICE:siren:

There will be no OP updates for the next 9 days, as I will not have access to the internet (and by extension, the forums) during that time. A ssuch, if anyone has anything they think should be added to the OP (Links, tips, financial drain, etc.), e-mail it to me at schwartznumbers (at) yahoo (dot) com. I'll check it and update the OP as soon as I get back.

In the meantime, keep on listenin' and have fun!

:siren:-END START- GENERAL THREAD NOTICE:siren:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

AstroZamboni posted:

:siren:-START- GENERAL THREAD NOTICE:siren:

There will be no OP updates for the next 9 days, as I will not have access to the internet (and by extension, the forums) during that time. A ssuch, if anyone has anything they think should be added to the OP (Links, tips, financial drain, etc.), e-mail it to me at schwartznumbers (at) yahoo (dot) com. I'll check it and update the OP as soon as I get back.

In the meantime, keep on listenin' and have fun!

:siren:-END START- GENERAL THREAD NOTICE:siren:

I'll set my alarm for Sunday the 22nd; have fun on vacation!

(I assume) ;)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Just for the heck of it, I sent out several reception reports via email to the major stations I was hearing, to see if I could get any QSLs that way. I know most of the smaller stations want a self-addressed envelope and all, but I thought the bigger ones might just take an email. I can confirm that you can at least get a QSL from Radio China just by emailing them a reception report:

quote:

Thanks for your reception report.

It's our great pleasure to hear from you. QSL card is being sent to you. Hope you get it soon.

It seemed it's the first time you wrote to us. Would you please tell us how long have you listened to our programs? Which program do you like best?

If there is any suggestions or comments, don't hesitate to tell us.

Best wishes,

Yours sincerely,
YingLian
English Service
China Radio International
http://english.cri.cn/

I'll let you all know if any others worked that way.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Ol' Tortoiseblossom posted:

Just for the heck of it, I sent out several reception reports via email to the major stations I was hearing, to see if I could get any QSLs that way. I know most of the smaller stations want a self-addressed envelope and all, but I thought the bigger ones might just take an email. I can confirm that you can at least get a QSL from Radio China just by emailing them a reception report:

Very cool! I haven't heard back from any of the places I've sent QSL's to. Though I'm getting ready to send one to Radio Havana so hopefully I'll get awesome communist posters for my living room!

Danton
Nov 10, 2005

by Ozma

I've got a QSL card from Radio Guam tacked to the wall of my room, I never knew that's what it was for and figured it was just a strange old postcard. I'll have to start sending out envelopes, but how do you find the addresses? In the Passport book?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Danton posted:

I've got a QSL card from Radio Guam tacked to the wall of my room, I never knew that's what it was for and figured it was just a strange old postcard. I'll have to start sending out envelopes, but how do you find the addresses? In the Passport book?

Yeah, that's where I found the addresses, although you can probably also look up the station's website for the larger ones and get the information there.

Danton
Nov 10, 2005

by Ozma

Yeah, that's where I found the addresses, although you can probably also look up the station's website for the larger ones and get the information there.

Do they just send back cards, or is it more personalized? Reminds me of the Zine/Mail-art/Cassette trading culture of the indie music scene in the 80's.

Add another $88 to the total when you get the chance, AstroZamboni. :sweatdrop:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Danton posted:

Do they just send back cards, or is it more personalized? Reminds me of the Zine/Mail-art/Cassette trading culture of the indie music scene in the 80's.

Add another $88 to the total when you get the chance, AstroZamboni. :sweatdrop:

Depends on the station. Usually the card will have some personalization, at least the date of your reception report and frequency. Also, some stations will send you little souvenirs, calendars, stickers, and of course, communist propaganda.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo
I'd just like to report buying a Eton E5, all in all it ended at 228$.

I've had a small interest in radio communication for several years but never had any idea how to get into it. So thanks for this thread :)

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title
If Passport doesn't list that a major station wants an IRC or SASE, should I send one anyone?

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.
20 meters is going nuts with CW at the moment... nearly all of it seems like computer generated stuff, and most of it seems to be repeating something along the lines of "cq test <callsign>" over and over. Anybody know what's up?

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title

potato of destiny posted:

20 meters is going nuts with CW at the moment... nearly all of it seems like computer generated stuff, and most of it seems to be repeating something along the lines of "cq test <callsign>" over and over. Anybody know what's up?

Woah, no poo poo.

20 meters is an amateur band, right?

Elijah fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 14, 2007

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.
Looks like there's a big honking ham contest this weekend: http://www.arrl.org/contests/rules/2007/iaru.html

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

Elijah posted:

Woah, no poo poo.

20 meters is an amateur band, right?
Correct. The 20 meter band for US amateurs runs from 14000 to 14350.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Falling asleep with the Conet Project on loop made for a very interesting, and fragmented night... I can only hope that some of it carried downstairs to my conspiracy-theorist pot dealer of a neighbor, who swears that the CIA has it out for him.

I'll be keeping an eye out in the local thrift shops now. I'm extremely jealous of that fellow with the army-issue radio, though... that thing looks awesome.

overflow
Dec 20, 2001

Tonight I was able to catch the pirate radio station TCS (The Crystal Ship) on 6875kHz USB. Lots of interference, could hear "Runaway Train" by Soul Asylum before audio was fully taken over with static. Right around 0200 UTC.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
You guys have to check out 7100. It's 0613Z and I'm getting the dictionary in CW. It's on "Apartment" now and heading towards "appear."

This is so weird.

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title

meatpotato posted:

You guys have to check out 7100. It's 0613Z and I'm getting the dictionary in CW. It's on "Apartment" now and heading towards "appear."

This is so weird.

:( Not getting it. Don't suppose you're equipped to record?

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
It stopped with the dictionary about 5 mins after I posted. Now it's doing something else. The signal has gone down so I can't really understand it. I'll try a recording.

I put it through audacity and passed a few filters over it. Still dictionary, now in the "S"s I think.

here we go:
http://www.meatpotato.xmshosting.net/files/cw.mp3

Hunter2 Thompson fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 16, 2007

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

meatpotato posted:

Nothing. drat this apartment living and EM-noisy neighbors! Though I've also previously picked up a French-Canadian time station around there ('70s radio with analog dial -- not the best for picking out exact freqs), and the two could be stepping on each other; I couldn't hear the metronome either when I tried just now.

Edit: I tried it at about 1:20 CDT/6:20 Zulu. Only static, but it was that odd sort of static that means there's something there and it's just not quite making it through.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 16, 2007

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
Oh, gently caress me. This thread has managed to force me to order the World Passport 2007 book, and an Eton E5. Add $140 total to your overall list, OP, and I hope to join the rest of you in listening to downright weird poo poo within the next few days. I just hope I can get decent reception from within my house without having to turn the gutters into an antenna.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Oh, sorry guys, I forgot to mention it is in the LSB.

Edit: Well it looks like that free goon-only hosting is no good, it appears I don't have any bandwidth even though this is the first thing I've uploaded.

Hunter2 Thompson fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 16, 2007

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

meatpotato posted:

Edit: Well it looks like that free goon-only hosting is no good, it appears I don't have any bandwidth even though this is the first thing I've uploaded.
If it's less than 10MB, send it to me at nmfree@writeme.com . I'll put it on my hosting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!
Do any of you guys have experience with the Grundig GS350DL? I did notice in the first post that a few people bought it.

I like the look of it better than the G5 (knobs and dials instead of buttons!), and it IS cheaper.

Then again, WHY is it cheaper, really. I can't see much of a difference, except that the G5 says specifically that it receives "shortwave (1711-29999 Khz) with SSB", and all the GS350DL says is "AM (520-1710), FM (88-108), and Shortwave coverage from 3 to 28 Mhz". That SOUNDS like the same thing, but is it really? It sounds like the GS350 doesn't do SSB. Is SSB worth the 50 bucks USD?

I so confused. :(

Stuntman Mike fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 16, 2007

• Locked thread