Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.
Erfworld updated, and Ansom is in for a whole new world of hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Aren't bags of holding restricted by the size of the opening? I mean, you can fit a lot of stuff into them, but I always took that to mean a lot of small things, or maybe some long thin things. You can't just stuff a body in there because the opening to the bag is too small for, say, a torso to fit through.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Sock posted:

Erfworld updated, and Ansom is in for a whole new world of hurt.

Someday we'll run out of "Huh? There's a rule I didn't know?!" "jokes".

maybe...

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ashcans posted:

Aren't bags of holding restricted by the size of the opening? I mean, you can fit a lot of stuff into them, but I always took that to mean a lot of small things, or maybe some long thin things. You can't just stuff a body in there because the opening to the bag is too small for, say, a torso to fit through.

Bags of Holding are, technically, 2 by 4 feet. It doesn't specify which direction those dimensions are, so it could be four feet wide. I typically think of them as large burlap sacks, so anything you could fit in one of those.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
new strip's up:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0475.html

I really want to see Belkars stats, his wisdom score must be hilariously low.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
That last pannel is just perfect.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I think Rich watched Ratatouille too many times.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Gunjin posted:

new strip's up:

Did anyone remember that he multi-classed to Barbarian? Or was that just a passing phase? [That was way back when, back when we all thought Xykon was dead...or, re-dead, or whatever you call it when an undead dies.]

Then again, he can read, and I haven't seen him use Rage yet [through the Hobgoblin Hill was pretty close.], so maybe he decided not to at the last minute.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

J.A.B.C. posted:

Then again, he can read, and I haven't seen him use Rage yet [through the Hobgoblin Hill was pretty close.], so maybe he decided not to at the last minute.

Multiclass barbarians can read. It's not like someone forgets how to read just because they become a barbarian after they've learned.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Sefer posted:

Multiclass barbarians can read. It's not like someone forgets how to read just because they become a barbarian after they've learned.

Sorry about that. The few barbarians i've seen in campaigns usually spent their time entering the tavern through the window, so i'm skeptical.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0132.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0133.html

For anyone who wanted to see the Barbarian strips.

Go, Creature of Darkness! I can only hope that at one point we'll be able to see what's under it. My guess is it is either an Infant Terrasque or some sort of Fay.

Or a hopped-up Demon Roach, though I haven't seen any fire.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

J.A.B.C. posted:

Go, Creature of Darkness! I can only hope that at one point we'll be able to see what's under it. My guess is it is either an Infant Terrasque or some sort of Fay.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if we never find out what sort of monster it actually is. I think the character's spent too much time under the umbrella for any reasonable monster to properly satisfy the expectations of the reader. The character has most likely simply evolved beyond the point that it needs to be revealed what sort of beast it is, and I'd say that given the 7th panel of this strip, along with how easily it defeated Miko earlier on in the story, the author is alluding to the fact that the Creature of Darkness has immense powers without needing to reveal what sort of beast it actually is. Either that, or it's just a running gag that will never be resolved.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Gunjin posted:

new strip's up:

Probably a 6 or 7. That's a -2 Wisdom bonus.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

J.A.B.C. posted:

It's a Flumph.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Vicissitude posted:

Probably a 6 or 7. That's a -2 Wisdom bonus.

It has to be at least 9, since he only needed a single Owl's Wisdom to use scrolls of Cure Serious Wounds, which as a third level spell requires a 13 wisdom.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Really Pants posted:

It's a Flumph.

Flumphs are Lawful Good though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Piell posted:

It has to be at least 9, since he only needed a single Owl's Wisdom to use scrolls of Cure Serious Wounds, which as a third level spell requires a 13 wisdom.
See, this is a line we shouldn't be crossing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Endrite posted:

You can't tell over the darkness, but it's wearing a helm of opposite alignment.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Endrite posted:

It has such low Intelligence and Wisdom scores that it thinks Xykon is Lawful Good and thus obeys him. As for its great power, that can be easily justified if that flumph has the Paragon template.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Schwarzwald posted:

You can't tell over the darkness, but it's wearing a helm of opposite alignment.

Or it's just too stupid to tell it's on the wrong side. Would that even be allowable, out of interest?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

tsob posted:

Or it's just too stupid to tell it's on the wrong side. Would that even be allowable, out of interest?
I don't see why not. If someone thinks he's doing good then I don't see why his actions would conflict with his alignment. Unless it's a cleric or a paladin of course, since in these cases the deity granting the character his power will probably be judging his actions as well and might deny him of his powers if his actions have evil results.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
OH JESUS IT'S THE ALIGNMENT DISCUSSION AGAIN NYAAAAAAARRGGGHH

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Piell posted:

okay now lets all argue about how you're supposed to pronounce thaco for 5 pages
i say it's with a short "a" sound like in "farmer"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Sam Hall posted:

okay now lets all argue about how you're supposed to pronounce thaco for 5 pages
i say it's with a short "a" sound like in "farmer"

So like taco with a th- sound? It should clearly be Thay-co.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Piell posted:

So like taco with a th- sound? It should clearly be Thay-co.
No, more like "tack". "Thack-o", sort of thing.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Robot Bastard posted:

No, more like "tack". "Thack-o", sort of thing.

I agree with the robot. And we all know that robots will crush us puny fleshies, so I'd agree with him if I were you.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It is To Hit A C Zero

A pronounced "Ae". Therefore, Thaco is pronounced Thay-Coe

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

greatn posted:

It is To Hit A C Zero

A pronounced "Ae". Therefore, Thaco is pronounced Thay-Coe

It is To Hit Armor Class Zero. You can't have an acronym stand for another acronym, that's just retarded. The A should be pronounced the same way as it is in "armor".

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Midniter posted:

I agree with the robot. And we all know that robots will crush us puny fleshies, so I'd agree with him if I were you.

I agree completely.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
We always pronounced the "TH" as fitz the "AC" as bun and the "O" as wallah

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Gassire posted:

We always pronounced the "TH" as fitz the "AC" as bun and the "O" as wallah

So it's pronounced Dinglebert Slaptyback?

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

404GoonNotFound posted:

So it's pronounced Dinglebert Slaptyback?

It's spelled Dinglebert Slaptyback, but it's pronounced Raymond Luxury Yacht.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

bgaesop posted:

That was actually what I was going to say before going the Eddie Izzard route.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

bgaesop posted:

I thought it sounded a bit more like Frimptypoo Frumptypants, personally.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
It's like those stupid arguments about how "GHOXI" actually is pronounced "fish"...

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Robot Bastard posted:

It's like those stupid arguments about how "GHOXI" actually is pronounced "fish"...

"gh" as in "tough" "o" as in "women" and "xi" as in... I dunno. I normally hear "ti" as in "nation."

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Piell posted:

But he claims to have a negative ability modifier to his cooking check which is wis based, so it can't be 9.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
Having a wis of 9 would give you a -1 ability mod.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilityModifier

So he has a wis of 9 and you can move onto another topic! (I hate lurking the thread when it gets onto stat/alignment discussions!)

Noonsaliwah fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 15, 2007

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Noonsaliwah posted:

Having a wis of 9 would give you a -1 ability mod.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilityModifier

So he has a wis of 9 and you can move onto another topic! (I hate lurking the thread when it gets onto stat/alignment discussions!)

Ha don't I feel dumb, I thought negatives started below 8, but I haven't touched anything D&D related other than this comic since I was a little kid.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Dude, there's been a whole new edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Dude, there's been a whole new edition.
A new edition? All the cool nerds are playing D&D Sixth Edition now :colbert: