Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

kind of sort of off-topic, but super mario bros. theme is officially not in pop'n fever CS, unless it's really really really hidden in there deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo_BLEW
Jul 11, 2000

by Lowtax

enojy posted:

kind of sort of off-topic, but super mario bros. theme is officially not in pop'n fever CS, unless it's really really really hidden in there deep.

eh, the notechart didn't look THAT cool from the vids I saw of it. Certainly would be a fun novelty though. Is there a link to the full list of what's going to be in CS14 yet?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Akihabara posted:

eh, the notechart didn't look THAT cool from the vids I saw of it. Certainly would be a fun novelty though. Is there a link to the full list of what's going to be in CS14 yet?

yup, it is "out" in japan as of today.

http://pmdream.net/popn/cs14/music.html

Halo_BLEW
Jul 11, 2000

by Lowtax

enojy posted:

yup, it is "out" in japan as of today.

http://pmdream.net/popn/cs14/music.html

Nice list. It's surprising to see so many 40+ charts, there used to only be a handful in each release, but I guess they've been ramping up steadily. Are the ee mall songs all unlockables? Anyword on how frustrating the unlocking method(GAMBLER Z :argh: ) is yet?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Akihabara posted:

Nice list. It's surprising to see so many 40+ charts, there used to only be a handful in each release, but I guess they've been ramping up steadily. Are the ee mall songs all unlockables? Anyword on how frustrating the unlocking method(GAMBLER Z :argh: ) is yet?

the unlocking is super easy. when you play arcade mode for the first time, you're asked if you want easy or hard (can be changed later.) from then on, each game of arcade mode has a single objective you must meet in order to "face off" against a character at the end of your game (if you meet the objective, you automatically beat this person and unlock the song to which they belong i.e. wilhelm = ubertreffen.) the objectives start out easy but get harder as you go along (i.e. "play a song with random!" up to "get no bads at all in all three songs").

the eemall songs are all bought with points you earn for playing arcade mode and mini games. its really easy to earn shitloads of points really quickly so you won't have any trouble here. songs are bought on the fly via the eemall songwheel... lots of good stuff!!!!!

and a lot of the new 40+s i've played so far are really great. fever robo ex really stands out. progressive baroque ex was just as stupid as i knew it would be... going to take some time to pass it. noria's new CS song (love2clutch i think) is a 41 for no reason whatsoever; it's going to be a lot of peoples' first 41. and i've already 100k'ed a lot of songs :P

enojy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 10, 2007

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
Compared to IIDX, how much more or less difficult is Pop'n Music?

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003

Up Yours Pal! posted:

Compared to IIDX, how much more or less difficult is Pop'n Music?

The learning curve in Popn is a lot easier, but the higher difficulty stuff is definitely comparable to IIDX. The hand movements involved with each are completely different, but they are both pretty ridiculous.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

i want

Finally got around to cropping it from my Fanime 2007 pictures. I totally want one.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I really wish we got more of the Pop'n Music style music in IIDX. IIDX seems like it has pretty much stuck itself into the whole pop / various techno genres. Needs more getting back to it's roots and doing more hip hop or something.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Now that I actually have money, I need to get around to building a Pop'n ASC. I used to have a Konami ASC, but I had to sell it when I was broke to pay the rent. At least I still have Pop'n 8, but that's pretty useless without the right controller to play it with.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Sam Handwich posted:

The learning curve in Popn is a lot easier, but the higher difficulty stuff is definitely comparable to IIDX. The hand movements involved with each are completely different, but they are both pretty ridiculous.

Just seconding the comment about the learning curve. Pop n was really 'friendly', IIDX hates all newbies. Although for me it could have a lot to do with the fact that, at lowish levels at least, hitting the big PnM buttons quickly and accurately needs less dexterity than the relatively fiddly IIDX buttons and turntable.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

kimcicle posted:

I really wish we got more of the Pop'n Music style music in IIDX. IIDX seems like it has pretty much stuck itself into the whole pop / various techno genres. Needs more getting back to it's roots and doing more hip hop or something.

I agree with you there. Every now and then I pop in IIDX to get a taste for some good ol' techno but pop'n has much more variance in its music styles. I was listening to the GOLD OST and I got to like track 28 or something and thinking 'Man this is awesome. Not a single hip hop song yet.'

Also, check the TGGS thread for my post :v:

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Desktop Arcade has a new product.
http://www.bemanistyle.com/forum/f5/introducing-desktop-arcades-long-deck-iidx-popn-16266/

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

Good god why :gonk:

That's huge and uneccessary but... kinda cool at the same time.

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003

SirSlarty posted:

Good god why :gonk:

That's huge and uneccessary but... kinda cool at the same time.

The only thing that would make that more hilarious would be if there was a right-side IIDX deck on the other side of the pop'n controller.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Long deck is looonnnggg.

Doesn't help that I don't like DA controllers at all either.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

if he were to put a 3HP blender on the right side of the popn domes i would buy one at that price

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Good, maybe it will be heavy enough that it doesn't loving move all over the god drat place when I play, screwing up my FCs. I'm close to opening up my ransai and filling it with rocks or something to make it stationary. No slip mat for me, this is how I roll.

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003

BabyRyoga posted:

Good, maybe it will be heavy enough that it doesn't loving move all over the god drat place when I play, screwing up my FCs. I'm close to opening up my ransai and filling it with rocks or something to make it stationary. No slip mat for me, this is how I roll.

why not get a keyboard stand and a ratchet strap? when I played pop'n, that was the way to go. It wouldn't move if you WANTED it to.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

the non-slip rubber sheet (stuff you put in kitchen drawers) works good too. keyboard stand, plank of plywood wrapped in rubber stuff, controller on top. the only problems i have is tipping the keyboard stand on faster/harder songs. if only there were a way to remedy that.

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003

enojy posted:

the non-slip rubber sheet (stuff you put in kitchen drawers) works good too. keyboard stand, plank of plywood wrapped in rubber stuff, controller on top. the only problems i have is tipping the keyboard stand on faster/harder songs. if only there were a way to remedy that.

The only natural course of action is bolting it to the floor of your room

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
I use a double-braced Hercules keyboard stand and a ratchet strap. Doesn't move for me. Meant to take a heavy beating.

Good to heavily beat people with, too.

If you're not hitting the buttons straight down and more of an angel towards the controller away from your body, the more likely it will shift around on most home setups on a light duty keyboard stand.

Besides, if you're hitting the controller that hard, the more likely double-registered hits will happen (especially on old skool DA's).

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
SirSlarty can attest to the fact that my Ransai, with a keyboard stand and ratchet strap, can only be moved if you kick it very solidly. :tbear:

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

enojy posted:

the non-slip rubber sheet (stuff you put in kitchen drawers) works good too.

Just posting to reiterate this. This is a solution I finally found to this problem and it works perfectly. Costs like three dollars or something, controller won't move a millimeter.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Zo posted:

We're allowed to talk about sims you know. How else are you going to play all those original songs? People like SHIKI make better songs/songcharts than half of the real IIDX artists anyways. There are even commercial "sims" like DJMax, which I use a IIDX controller to play.

Well, in that case, I've been using SSR. My only gripes are that SSR doesn't record high scores or have a scoring chart. There is some good information and resources on the Bemanistyle forum. Lunatic Rave has all of that, but it's difficult to get to work on American PCs (you need to do some weird poo poo with Japanese fonts and stuff in XP.)

Link to SHIKI's stuff?

Beatmania and HD-TVs
I'd like to eventually get a HD-TV, a JPS2, and Happy Sky. I know HS has lag adjustment for HD-TVs, but I've still heard some complaints. I'm looking at a few Samsungs that specifically feature video game modes.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 15, 2007

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

Dewgy posted:

SirSlarty can attest to the fact that my Ransai, with a keyboard stand and ratchet strap, can only be moved if you kick it very solidly. :tbear:

And the controller STILL works!

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Three-Phase posted:

Well, in that case, I've been using SSR. My only gripes are that SSR doesn't record high scores or have a scoring chart. There is some good information and resources on the Bemanistyle forum. Lunatic Rave has all of that, but it's difficult to get to work on American PCs (you need to do some weird poo poo with Japanese fonts and stuff in XP.)
I did two things to get it working: download a bunch of fonts from microsoft into my fonts folder, then set regional settings to japanese. It really is leaps and bounds better than SSR.

Original songs can get pretty crazy, like.. 99 star difficulty. Of course, it shows up as a flashing 12, and reminds me of the good ol' flashing 7 days.

It's just that 90% of the good original releases are by japanese people, and it's hard to find them without speaking the moon language. Stuff like this just looks fun to play.

You can find most of SHIKI's songs here: http://kobe.cool.ne.jp/linker/bms.shtml

They range from super-awesome to "hahaha engrish".

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Three-Phase posted:

Beatmania and HD-TVs
I'd like to eventually get a HD-TV, a JPS2, and Happy Sky. I know HS has lag adjustment for HD-TVs, but I've still heard some complaints. I'm looking at a few Samsungs that specifically feature video game modes.

Don't do it. Bemani is designed to be played on a normal definition CRT, and a lot of projection screen, LCD, or plasma TVs have latency between the audio and video that has nothing to do with the game. For example, there's a few plasma TVs at the LAN center we go to play Pop'n Music at every Friday (the bigscreen projector for some reason has no lag) and they have the video and audio perfectly in sync, but they're a second behind the PS2. So you hit the button, and it takes a second for it to register.

The only real option you have is to find a CRT HDTV or buy one of the other kinds and a HD upscaler box, which can be pretty expensive.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
I'm confused.

Is this thread about IIDX or pop'n music?

Spoiled
Jul 1, 2005

I don't know anything about this, but I like rhythm games and I have no equipment or even a PS2 at home. I'm in Asia at the moment though, flying back soon and would like to know if there's anything I would need to import to enjoy this kind of game. I just tapped fingers with Stepmania up until now, but I remember seeing this at an arcade and wonder how much it would cost.

Spoiled fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 16, 2007

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Spoiled posted:

I don't know anything about this, but I like rhythm games and I have no equipment or even a PS2 at home. I'm in Asia at the moment though, flying back soon and would like to know if there's anything I would need to import to enjoy this kind of game. I just tapped fingers with Stepmania up until now, but I remember seeing this at an arcade and wonder how much it would cost.

Well, assuming that Asia isn't your home country, you'd need a PS2. I'm going to assume you're in the US for the purposes of this post. A PS2 runs you about $100, and you'd need a swap magic disk to play imports (about $30.) After that, the cheapest way to go is to buy the US version of Beatmania for about $25 these days, and import a copy of a IIDX game from someplace like play-asia ($70). All that will run you about $225. Worth every penny, especially since the PS2 has about a skajillion games that you should play anyway.

Spoiled
Jul 1, 2005

So there's discs like the GC Freeloader that can lift the region coding without modding the PS2?(I don't know how much that would be) Is it worth buying whatever's coming from Asia before I leave? And do you happen to know if Beatmania came out in Europe? Does it come with a controller? Would I have to build one out of a table? Someone mentioned PC freeware, something akin to Stepmania for this genre of games I guess.

I'm kind of lost and the OP isn't very informative.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
You buy beatmania US release just for the controller. The game is utter poo poo. Only play the japanese releases. This, of course, means that a european release will be completely negligible as well.

The PC sims are iffy (especially the good one, Lunatic Rave) and I don't recommend going that route unless you are comfortable with messing around with a lot of settings in a lot of places to make it work, including finding a good usb adaptor that will accept tons of buttons at the same time.

The PS2 games are more satisfying to play anyways since they have background animations, it just gets annoying having to change the disk when you want to play another style.

SirSlarty posted:

I'm confused.

Is this thread about IIDX or pop'n music?

I don't think anyone gives a poo poo if you start talking about other bemani games since this thread's so slow moving anyways.

Halo_BLEW
Jul 11, 2000

by Lowtax

Dewgy posted:

Don't do it. Bemani is designed to be played on a normal definition CRT, and a lot of projection screen, LCD, or plasma TVs have latency between the audio and video that has nothing to do with the game. For example, there's a few plasma TVs at the LAN center we go to play Pop'n Music at every Friday (the bigscreen projector for some reason has no lag) and they have the video and audio perfectly in sync, but they're a second behind the PS2. So you hit the button, and it takes a second for it to register.

The only real option you have is to find a CRT HDTV or buy one of the other kinds and a HD upscaler box, which can be pretty expensive.

I don't necessarily agree with this, it's quite easy to get the modern Pop'n or IIDX games working on a non-CRT HDTV. The timing adjustment screen is really all you need to get your delays as close to non-noticeable as will make a difference.

Does anyone have any experience playing import bemani games on the PS3? I know it's supposedly region free but I wasn't sure if this applied to the backwards compatible games or not. I'm only wondering because my Swap Magic PS2 is dying slowly and Pop'n runs really terribly off of the HD...

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Akihabara posted:

I don't necessarily agree with this, it's quite easy to get the modern Pop'n or IIDX games working on a non-CRT HDTV. The timing adjustment screen is really all you need to get your delays as close to non-noticeable as will make a difference.

Does anyone have any experience playing import bemani games on the PS3? I know it's supposedly region free but I wasn't sure if this applied to the backwards compatible games or not. I'm only wondering because my Swap Magic PS2 is dying slowly and Pop'n runs really terribly off of the HD...

Although the timing adjust does work in many cases, it's best to avoid the problem entirely, since you'll end up limiting what you can and can't play on your new TV. There's a lot you'll miss out on if you don't play the older stuff, which for IIDX is eight games and Pop'n about a dozen that don't have timing adustment options.

Also, import PS2 games don't work on the PS3, and last I heard even if you have an import system Bemani games have trouble loading/running, plus you can't get your controllers to work.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I've tried Happy Sky on our plasma screen and even with timing adjust it's not really the same. I'd just recommend playing Bemani on a CRT for the sake of consistency - I've never really found a PS2 game that looked that much better on our HDTV than on my standard CRT anyway (in fact a lot of 3D games look much worse IMO because of the resolution) and Bemani games don't even support progressive scan, so you're not going to get much benefit out of it. That, and Pop'n is 4:3 only if I'm not mistaken.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Dewgy posted:

I've heard that having a HD CRT does not help.

Screw it, I might just save my money and eventually just buy a Happy Sky machine. :P

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Happy Sky machines get kinda boring after a while. I haven't played the local arcade's one in months.

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
holy crap it's dewgy they're all in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Are You Ready?

The sound pressure makes you feel refreshment of mind and body. Feel the shower of light & colors.

It's Party Time!

Oh konami :shobon: