Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Judgement posted:

Second character? Cleric. But he was dumb as a rock, so it never even occured to him to do any of that divine metamagic persistent bullshit. He just liked using his Enlarge Person domain spell and hitting things with a giant mace.
I played a Cleric like that once, too; it was kind of fun. Bull's Strength! Enlarge Person! Strength Feat! (St. Cuthbert.)

Or, as I liked to say, "Hulk SMASH!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0476.html

New comic is up!

Bad things are afoot.

Also, they said they can't toss O-Chul in the bag, but I don't see them throwing Roy in.

EDIT: Waffled for if/when it goes down.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Choke Babies Now posted:

Also, they said they can't toss O-Chul in the bag, but I don't see them throwing Roy in.

Belkar stated earlier that he was worried putting Roy inside a bag of holding would qualify as Roy being more than a mile away, thereby setting off the mark of justice.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Choke Babies Now posted:

Belkar doesn't want Haley to do that, because it'll seperate him from Roy's body, and the Mark might activate. Mentioned here.

Edit: Curse my time spent getting links!

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Whoah, so is there a chance we'll see the monster in the shadows? That would be pretty spectacular.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I doubt we're going to. There's no real reason to burn that particular gimmick at the moment unless it's supposed to be a setup for V saying "well actually I do seem to have some spells left today."

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

bgaesop posted:

Whoah, so is there a chance we'll see the monster in the shadows? That would be pretty spectacular.

man is this sarcasm i can't even tell

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Wolfsheim posted:

man is this sarcasm i can't even tell

Neither can I.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
My theory is that the monster in the shadows is going to turn out to be some kind of shadow elemental. He'll throw away the umbrella and, hey, he'll look exactly the same!

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Bobulus posted:

At the risk of further sidetracking the conversation, the DMs I've played with are really frustrating me. I keep making non-munchkin characters (An engineer in a Firefly campaign, a combat-inexperienced grad student in a zombie game, an unoptimized wizard in a D&D campaign...) and all that ever happens is that I end up standing there while the other players hack-and-slash their way through everything, because the DM never does anything but combat and the occasional indimidation. Makes me want to just give up and join them.

You need to find a new group. They are hack-and-slash and you want roleplay.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They should put both Roy and old dude in, but tie the sack off with their arms over it so just their upper torso is hanging out. That way they only have to carry the weight of their arms and heads for the most part, while the rest of them is in magix other dimension.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
Weird - so Bags Of Holding nullify mass, as well as bending space...? A BoH full of gold weighs nothing much?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Sergeant Rock posted:

Weird - so Bags Of Holding nullify mass, as well as bending space...? A BoH full of gold weighs nothing much?

the mouth of the bag is a portal to another dimension. It's a small dimesnion though, and most have a mass limit of somewhere between 500 - 2500 pounds, depending on bag quality. You can get truly massive holding bags though.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Sergeant Rock posted:

They also always have a set weight, small ones are always 20lbs, medium's are 40, and large ones always weigh 60.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Sergeant Rock posted:

And if you put a portable hole in a bag of holding...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

greatn posted:

I've been thinking of making a spiked chain fighter just because honestly I think it could be fun and fit in on Darksun(where I'm playing currently) as a guy who started doing it as a gimmicky arena fighter, and had considerably more trouble in the actual world. I remember the OotS comic about such a build. Know of any good sites with write ups on this type of thing? Like, how to build X-character? Because I suck at builds.

How are you going to AFFORD a spiked chain in Dark Sun? Iron is almost impossible to find, and it's more expensive than diamonds. Are you going to make a chain out of pieces of bone and plants? It'd break the first time you hit someone with it.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

How are you going to AFFORD a spiked chain in Dark Sun? Iron is almost impossible to find, and it's more expensive than diamonds. Are you going to make a chain out of pieces of bone and plants? It'd break the first time you hit someone with it.

Wow, clerics and paladins must really get the shaft in that setting.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ConfusedUs posted:

Haha, you know I didn't even think of that. What the gently caress WOULD I make a spiked chain out of? You're absolutely right.

Dr. Ron Paul posted:

Wow, clerics and paladins must really get the shaft in that setting.

There are no paladins. And yeah, Clerics get the shaft. No deities, you instead worship air, earth, water, fire, sun, silt, magma, or rain. You can turn elementals of your type.

There is actually no official 3.5 Darksun, we're using a fanmade one. That actually allowed turning of undead for clerics and templars, but my GM said it is stupid for clerics with no gods to have the ability to turn undead, so he didn't give it to us. As a concession he gave us the ability to turn or command elementals of a given type. That's come up exactly zero times.

On the other hand if there are any rust monsters we can tell them to gently caress right off, since the only metal we'll have might be a few silver coins if we're lucky.

greatn fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 18, 2007

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

ConfusedUs posted:

Err, doesn't Dark Sun have the "enameled bone" nonsense that's basically lighter-weight steel that makes a fragility check if it runs into iron?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

greatn posted:

There is actually no official 3.5 Darksun, we're using a fanmade one. That actually allowed turning of undead for clerics and templars, but my GM said it is stupid for clerics with no gods to have the ability to turn undead, so he didn't give it to us. As a concession he gave us the ability to turn or command elementals of a given type. That's come up exactly zero times.

Both Dungeon and Dragon have released translations, drat near enough to play with actually.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

rantmo posted:

Both Dungeon and Dragon have released translations, drat near enough to play with actually.

We've been using http://www.athas.org/ , simply because it's the first search that comes up for DarkSun 3.5, and it seems to be pretty decent. Does it have any relation to those?

(sorry for the D&D dicussion in here guys, but honestly you go to traditional games and it is like no one loving cares, all they do is play threads, with zero loving discussion, and this is kind of related to OOtS, but if you want me to stop I will)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Well there's always this and it seems pretty popular for asking D&D related questions :) On a whole other note i'm thinking of buying Start of darkness and origin of PC's, are they worth the 50$ or so i'd have to shell out?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Dr. Ron Paul posted:

And if you put a portable hole in a bag of holding...

It rends a tear into the astral plane. Or the ethereal plane. One or the other. Putting a bag of holding into a portable hole opens a rift to the other one.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

greatn posted:

(sorry for the D&D dicussion in here guys, but honestly you go to traditional games and it is like no one loving cares, all they do is play threads, with zero loving discussion, and this is kind of related to OOtS, but if you want me to stop I will)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2303802

I loving care :(

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Affi posted:

Well there's always this and it seems pretty popular for asking D&D related questions :) On a whole other note i'm thinking of buying Start of darkness and origin of PC's, are they worth the 50$ or so i'd have to shell out?

Origin of the PCs is good, I'm going to buy Start of Darkness as soon as he goes on his break.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I ordered all the books last wednesday, and it is now one week later and I do not have all the books nor do I have half of the books or in fact any of the books at all anywhere :argh:

Is Haley aware that breaking the pendant will bring the fairy girl? :10bux: says that's how they get out of this.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

I don't mind this sort of idle, happy and almost totally off topic RPG discussion because I too am a total nerd. Also, I too think that Trad Games is nothing but play by post, which is something I personally disdain, so I'm lovin' this thread as a little place on SA to talk about the point modifiers elves get.

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite

Choke Babies Now posted:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0476.html

New comic is up!
Just to be on-topic (I KNOW, JEEZ!), I totally don't get the thimble joke.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
It's a reference to the previous comic when the Monster said they were about to play Monopoly.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

SuperKlaus posted:

I don't mind this sort of idle, happy and almost totally off topic RPG discussion because I too am a total nerd. Also, I too think that Trad Games is nothing but play by post, which is something I personally disdain, so I'm lovin' this thread as a little place on SA to talk about the point modifiers elves get.

No, we have mafia threads now too.

(Seriously, go post a discussion thread there, people will post.)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Soonmot posted:

No, we have mafia threads now too.

(Seriously, go post a discussion thread there, people will post.)

They won't, seriously. I've tried, I know others who have tried. Any discussion thread will get maybe a couple of replies and drop off the face of the earth.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

greatn posted:

They won't, seriously. I've tried, I know others who have tried. Any discussion thread will get maybe a couple of replies and drop off the face of the earth.

Yes, because 20 pages is only a couple replies.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Piell posted:

Yes, because 20 pages is only a couple replies.
20 pages over six months for something as broad and popular as D&D isn't that impressive. What we really need is for the admins to act on the "Split TG" thread from QCS a while ago, so we can actually have smaller, more focused threads which won't "drop off the board after a few replies".

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Talkie Toaster posted:

20 pages over six months for something as broad and popular as D&D isn't that impressive. What we really need is for the admins to act on the "Split TG" thread from QCS a while ago, so we can actually have smaller, more focused threads which won't "drop off the board after a few replies".

We're on a rather stupefying 71 pages here, come to think of it. If one pared out all the posts that don't really have anything to do with OoTS but do with D&D, I wonder how many pages we'd have? Enough to shame that Trad Games thread?

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

SuperKlaus posted:

We're on a rather stupefying 71 pages here, come to think of it. If one pared out all the posts that don't really have anything to do with OoTS but do with D&D, I wonder how many pages we'd have? Enough to shame that Trad Games thread?

Trad Games can shame itself just fine.

spoonboy
Oct 30, 2004

I wanna be a pilot!
Oohh, I've always wanted to do this!

:siren: NEW COMIC UP :siren:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0477.html

:siren: NEW COMIC UP :siren:

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
Haley got to make her dramatic long shot after all :)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Right in the sack. Ouchu.

Although I'm starting to agree that by this point the monster's power-level is getting so obscene that I can't see it being anything that reasonably exists in the actual game (of course, I'm not exactly the expert, so maybe someone can prove me wrong).

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Wolfsheim posted:

Right in the sack. Ouchu.

Although I'm starting to agree that by this point the monster's power-level is getting so obscene that I can't see it being anything that reasonably exists in the actual game (of course, I'm not exactly the expert, so maybe someone can prove me wrong).

Yes because using like Command/Shout and earthquake sure is pretty overpowering :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
From his use of a Command like ability and what seems to be the Stomp power Augmented, I've figured out what the monster in the dark is!
A Half-Giant Psywarrior.
Or maybe it's something else, but a Half-Giant Psywarrior could do that...