Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Unless anyone has any major criticisms against DJ Dao's Platinum ASC or his controllers in general, I'm ordering the Platinum tomorrow. Anything I should be aware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

Lynx Winters posted:

Unless anyone has any major criticisms against DJ Dao's Platinum ASC or his controllers in general, I'm ordering the Platinum tomorrow. Anything I should be aware of?

Other than that everyone who has one is a happy customer? Not really.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

That's what I like to hear.

EDIT: Ordered.

Lynx Winters fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 18, 2007

that tetris guy
Mar 7, 2005

It's a sad thing that your adventures have ended here!!
So apparently IIDX Gold is getting released in America! I guess the campaign worked. Now all we have to do is wait till November.

Halo_BLEW
Jul 11, 2000

by Lowtax

SirSlarty posted:

Other than that everyone who has one is a happy customer? Not really.

Anyone have any experience with his Pop'n controllers? How do they stack up against Ransai, DA, etc.?

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003

an rear end posted:

So apparently IIDX Gold is getting released in America! I guess the campaign worked. Now all we have to do is wait till November.

Considering that "news" came from a 16-year old kid riddled with ADHD, I'd still consider it a rumor. I've talked with a couple guys who were in contact with the Konami reps at the SuperNOVA 2 test last week and they said it was just as up-in-the-air as it was months ago.

Akihabara posted:

Anyone have any experience with his Pop'n controllers? How do they stack up against Ransai, DA, etc.?

His Pop'n controllers are higher in quality than DA & Ransai, though probably not as durable because they're not made from a tree (but you won't be running your controller over with your car anytime soon, I don't think). The buttons are actual arcade buttons instead of the happ-brand ones, if that makes any sort of difference to you. It's the closest thing you can find to a real arcade deck, though.

Sam Handwich fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 18, 2007

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Akihabara posted:

I've heard nothing but praise about Dao's controllers, both Pop'n and IIDX. It seems they might not be as retardedly solid as a Ransai (Escalade test, hurrr) but the wiring is very nicely done and the components are quality. It's probably the most arcade accurate controller you can get and they can take a lot of abuse.

Halo_BLEW
Jul 11, 2000

by Lowtax
Wow, that controller does look really nice. I'm mainly concerned about sound and feel as far as playing goes. My DA is sort of a nice solid behemoth of a controller, but the buttons don't feel as nice as I'd like and it can be a bit too loud.

I'll definitely look into Dao, does he have a long waiting list like most sellers? I'd love to get one of those IIDX controllers. The difference between the home controller and an arcade style is really absurd.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
The thread icon was just changed from "Sex" to "Fruity" for some odd reason.

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003

Akihabara posted:

I'll definitely look into Dao, does he have a long waiting list like most sellers? I'd love to get one of those IIDX controllers. The difference between the home controller and an arcade style is really absurd.

The wait for Dao is a lot lower than DA or Ransai is/was, since Dao owns the factory that the controllers come out of. The only wait times he has are on Sanwa buttons, since he has to order those in bulk, and sometimes it takes up to a month for his orders to process. He usually has decks of every kind pre-built and ready to ship.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

SirSlarty posted:

The thread icon was just changed from "Sex" to "Fruity" for some odd reason.

People used the "sex" tag so much before that the Games mods even made up an explicit rule saying "no sex tags without actual sex", and even though it's gone from the rules thread I'd imagine that they still hate it.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Sam Handwich posted:

Considering that "news" came from a 16-year old kid riddled with ADHD, I'd still consider it a rumor. I've talked with a couple guys who were in contact with the Konami reps at the SuperNOVA 2 test last week and they said it was just as up-in-the-air as it was months ago.

Yeah, anything that comes spewing out from braintrust (joel stud?) and ŁOMEGAŁ I never listen to because they both aren't the brightest bulbs in the batch.

Sam Handwich posted:

His Pop'n controllers are higher in quality than DA & Ransai, though probably not as durable because they're not made from a tree (but you won't be running your controller over with your car anytime soon, I don't think). The buttons are actual arcade buttons instead of the happ-brand ones, if that makes any sort of difference to you. It's the closest thing you can find to a real arcade deck, though.

Mmm, I think I found what I'm going to waste my next paycheck on!

Also, I liked having the SEX tag because I could sort the forum by that tag and this would be the only thread to pop up. Bam, easy access. :v:

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 19, 2007

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

kimcicle posted:

Mmm, I think I found what I'm going to waste my next paycheck on!

DJ DAO pop'n controllers' graphics are really nice and all but it's more fun and satisfying making your own graphics. Not bashing the workmanship of the company at all but I just like something special. Removed the paint and sanded down the wood of my good ol' Ransai and spray painted it, coated it and applied cut vinyl.

I can certainly design and apply graphics for anyone's pop'n controller. If you want that acrylic cover like on DJ DAO's I can get one of those, too (for a price of course :v: )

kimcicle posted:

Also, I liked having the SEX tag because I could sort the forum by that tag and this would be the only thread to pop up. Bam, easy access. :v:

We could get it back by posting some IIDX result screens.

that tetris guy
Mar 7, 2005

kimcicle posted:

ŁOMEGAŁ
Wait, he was the guy who said it was being released? Isn't that the same guy on bemanistyle who wanted to purchase a IIDX machine using money he saved from his part-time job? Yeah, that guy is a retard.

"I'ma go to community college instead of a university so I can have more money for it! :downs:"

HatPerson
Apr 30, 2003

kimcicle posted:

Yeah, anything that comes spewing out from braintrust (joel stud?) and ŁOMEGAŁ I never listen to because they both aren't the brightest bulbs in the batch.

I'll believe what they say when I see it for myself. Then again they managed to pull through with one pic, now we just need someone who knows how to work a camera.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

HatPerson posted:

I'll believe what they say when I see it for myself. Then again they managed to pull through with one pic, now we just need someone who knows how to work a camera.

that's a picture of the supernova2 test location machine

enojy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 19, 2007

HatPerson
Apr 30, 2003

enojy posted:

that's a picture of the supernova2 test location machine

Yes, the e-amuse box, and it's not in moon speak.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, I was smiling with glee when I saw the bemanistyle info posted, then realized it could just be more heresay and rumor. But the picture of the e-Amuse box in English (AND NOT ENGRISH HUZZAH) setup on the SuperNOVA 2 machine lifts my spirits once more.

I'm still crossing my fingers for IIDX and GF/DM in the US, but hey, I'll take e-Amuse on SN2, that's still damned cool.

Speaking of IIDX, I'm thinking of my available options for eliminating lag so I can stop sucking at IIDX. I do really well on CRT monitors (A on crap like Little Little Princess [H]) but when I hook it up to my LCD television my scores go downhill. I don't think the best options are going to be the cheapest options, of course. I'd rather buy a conversion box or an upscaling box so I could solve the problem without having to stick to one television. I dunno. I need to do some research, I guess, but I'd appreciate any insights you guys might have.

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003

DizzyBum posted:

Speaking of IIDX, I'm thinking of my available options for eliminating lag so I can stop sucking at IIDX. I do really well on CRT monitors (A on crap like Little Little Princess [H]) but when I hook it up to my LCD television my scores go downhill. I don't think the best options are going to be the cheapest options, of course. I'd rather buy a conversion box or an upscaling box so I could solve the problem without having to stick to one television. I dunno. I need to do some research, I guess, but I'd appreciate any insights you guys might have.

The XRGB-3 conversion kit is the only way to go to guarantee that you'll be lag-free without taking a huge hit in video quality.

Play-Asia link

It's out of stock there, but that gives you an idea of what you're looking for. The pricetag is enormous at around 300 bucks, but it will do exactly what you want, and has component support. Any other box you find that isn't an XRGB brand (the earlier versions have been out of stock and out of production for a while now) is going to either make your picture look like poo poo, or it just won't upscale fast enough and you'll still probably see problems. Shoryuken.com did a huge product comparison on these things a year back and agreed that this thing is pretty much the only way to go with high-def TVs.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yeah and SuperNOVA 1 was supposed to have memory card slots and look how well THAT panned out.

eamuse may or may not happen, obviously the American internet is nothing like the Japanese internet or something. Still, if it does, it would be great to actually be able to loving UNLOCK THINGS for a change.

GuidoAnchovies
Oct 27, 2005

Im'a get ya!
I figured I'd give you guys a head's up: the owner of Pojo's in Boise, ID is talking about getting a beatmania IIDX machine this fall. Considering he just got into a financial situation where he can afford to spend a lot more on buying new games, and the massive amounts of money supernova pulls in, I would assume it's going to be gold.

HatPerson
Apr 30, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

Yeah and SuperNOVA 1 was supposed to have memory card slots and look how well THAT panned out.

eamuse may or may not happen, obviously the American internet is nothing like the Japanese internet or something. Still, if it does, it would be great to actually be able to loving UNLOCK THINGS for a change.

The way I see it, if an arcade is big enough they would already have broadband for business purposes. Might as well shell out the extra bucks for access to the e-amuse servers and offer up something extra for patrons. Also, it's not like any American arcades require a fiber line so they can have 40 Virtua Fighter 5 machines all hooked up to VFNET in their basement.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

an rear end posted:

Wait, he was the guy who said it was being released? Isn't that the same guy on bemanistyle who wanted to purchase a IIDX machine using money he saved from his part-time job? Yeah, that guy is a retard.

"I'ma go to community college instead of a university so I can have more money for it! :downs:"

I'm pretty sure it was the same guy. For all we know somebody could have raised a hypothetical situation with a gazillion catches and all that is racing through his head is "THE US IS GOING TO GET IIDX GOLD AND I'M TOTALLY GOING TO BUY MY OWN MACHINE WOO!"

HatPerson posted:

The way I see it, if an arcade is big enough they would already have broadband for business purposes. Might as well shell out the extra bucks for access to the e-amuse servers and offer up something extra for patrons. Also, it's not like any American arcades require a fiber line so they can have 40 Virtua Fighter 5 machines all hooked up to VFNET in their basement.

For something like e-amuse, wouldn't a cheap DSL line suffice? I doubt that the machine is going to be moving gigs of data all the time, and those can be had for, what, $15 a month? I'd gladly go out of my way to an arcade that had e-amuse.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

kimcicle posted:

I'm pretty sure it was the same guy. For all we know somebody could have raised a hypothetical situation with a gazillion catches and all that is racing through his head is "THE US IS GOING TO GET IIDX GOLD AND I'M TOTALLY GOING TO BUY MY OWN MACHINE WOO!"

Make it make money

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003

kimcicle posted:

The kid thinks he knows everything there is to know about arcade cabinet ownership because he's been to coinopexpress a few times. I don't even know if the kid has ever held a job in his life, so he'll be in for a treat when he realizes how much it actually costs to own or maintain anything, let alone a IIDX machine. having 5-10 regular customers for IIDX does not a profit make.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Sam Handwich posted:

The kid thinks he knows everything there is to know about arcade cabinet ownership because he's been to coinopexpress a few times. I don't even know if the kid has ever held a job in his life, so he'll be in for a treat when he realizes how much it actually costs to own or maintain anything, let alone a IIDX machine. having 5-10 regular customers for IIDX does not a profit make.

Not to mention his math for his $7.50 / hour job neglected the fact that you lose some of that to taxes. In the post your room thread he has a large (I'm thinking ~45 or so inches) flat screen in his bedroom. I'm pretty sure he hasn't had a job, nor does he even remotely have an idea as to how the real world works.

I got my bemanistyle raffle prize in, sans beatmania US controller. I don't know what I'm going to do with 2 IIDX RED OSTs now. Or my 2 copies of IIDX 3rd Style.

Getting an IIDX Bible was a pleasant suprise though.

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003

kimcicle posted:

I got my bemanistyle raffle prize in, sans beatmania US controller. I don't know what I'm going to do with 2 IIDX RED OSTs now. Or my 2 copies of IIDX 3rd Style.

Getting an IIDX Bible was a pleasant suprise though.

If the RED OST is complete, I'd love to take it off your hands if you're thinking of selling it. How much would you want for it?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Sam Handwich posted:

If the RED OST is complete, I'd love to take it off your hands if you're thinking of selling it. How much would you want for it?

Mmm, well, both of mine have case + obi, but one of them have the post cards. I guess you're talking about the one with the post cards, right?

that tetris guy
Mar 7, 2005

Willing to let one of those 3rd styles go?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
If anyone's interested, I got a little time in on a Beatmania 6th Mix machine today. It really amazed me how far the game has come since it's quasi-16-bit days.

The wider key spacing on the BM machine threw me for a little loop.

Also - I've noticed that the "SEX" tag used for this thread has been changed to "Fruity". Ce le vie.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

Three-Phase posted:

If anyone's interested, I got a little time in on a Beatmania 6th Mix machine today. It really amazed me how far the game has come since it's quasi-16-bit days.

Also - I've noticed that the "SEX" tag used for this thread has been changed to "Fruity". Ce le vie.

I pointed that out a few posts up.

It's still fun to play on old 5-key maachines. There's a 4th mix machine I play on once in a while. Really old school stuff. One of dj TAKA's first songs, Logical Dsh and LED's Genom Screams. Hell there even a Slake song on there. And an old RAM song called Chain which nothing like the RAM songs you know now.

And Keep On Movin'. And Drunk Monky.

WHich reminds me when I was playing there once. I was playing popcorn, it's a hip hop song and this black guy came up and said, "Nice beats. How you mixin' that?". I told him some guy in Japan wrote it and I'm replaying it with the keys but I can repeat the sound (and I did so while scratching the turntable all DJ-style). He left, suddenly disinterested.

See, Konami, that's your American clientčle right there.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Three-Phase posted:

If you didn't play Jack and Mark Get Busy! or Uziel, you obviously weren't playing it right.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Dewgy posted:

If you didn't play Jack and Mark Get Busy! or Uziel, you obviously weren't playing it right.

Of course I played Jack and Mark Get Busy!

I'm working on a letter to Konami to bring that and Pink Pong's "Fire" back for IIDX 15. I lost my Beatmania virginity to Fire.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

Three-Phase posted:

I lost my Beatmania virginity to Fire.

Were you burning up for... BEATMANIA!!!

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
What's the cheapest place online to get a U.S. Beatmania bundle? I really, really, want another controller and the Ebay auctions seem to shoot up a ton (Plus I don't want to risk getting a used beatmania controller). When my friend got his bundle at target it was sooo cheap, is there a place where I can get it for those kind of prices anymore?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

SirSlarty posted:

Were you burning up for... BEATMANIA!!!

No seriously it's a good song that really should be on a IIDX mix.

photo kiosk of life
Aug 31, 2004

Not the best role model.

Dewgy posted:

When we had Beatmania III Append 7th Mix, the people who weren't regulars or had been playing Beatmania for years would always play this song, so we'd hear it at least 10 times per visit.

I hate this song so much now. But I still love Free Kicker [A]!

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

Three-Phase posted:

No seriously it's a good song that really should be on a IIDX mix.

Sorry for the retarded BemaniStyle type humor there.

Heh, yeah, I agree. There's a craptruck ton of really good 5-key songs that Konami hasn't put into IIDX or ee'mall yet.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I'm hoping that the conversion stuff for HDTVs improves immensely within the next year or so, considering how poor they work for older video games. Once that's fixed I'll probably get a J-PS2 and RED, Happy Sky, and DistorteD.

I've been practicing on the computer and I'm getting better at 4/8 difficulty and can complete a few 5s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003
Okay seriously, this has completely consumed my day, and I need to share it with you guys.

http://bbr.eucaly.net/bbr2nd/bbr2nd/bbr2nd.swf

This is probably the best flash-based IIDX simulator out there. It's 100% original music, with some work done by some pretty popular J-core and rave artists out there like REDALiCE and Cranky. The first mix of this came out sometime last year, and was pretty awesome right out of the gate, but about a month or two ago, they released the 2nd mix of it. More than twice the music, with all of the songs from the 1st mix added in. 4 extra stages, and I think there's a One More Extra Stage too, but I can't figure out how to access it. Even after playing it nonstop for like 4 or 5 hours today, I think there are still songs left to unlock, because they keep popping up at completely random times, just when I think I've gotten everything.

There are unlockable skins, background images, song select tracks, note bursts and burst colors, plus a persistant online top-10 for every song on every difficulty. I've actually managed to make it onto a few of the lists on a few songs, and even got a 1st on a song on Hyper, so I'm pretty stoked. It keeps record of your dj name and all of your accomplishments in a cookie too (or maybe on their server?), so if you come back to it later, all of your information will still be on-hand.