Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

The Huntsman posted:

I love the "really nice" button but can't help wonder what it does. Where did you get it and where can I find one? The compressor on my Eureka is good and all but I am looking for something a little tighter.

The "really nice" button activates an almost-transparent soft knee mode. I don't have much use for it but anyone with a need of delicate compression should appreciate.

I ordered mine from Thomann in Germany, but these babies should be on sale anywhere, including eBay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

Twiin posted:

Fresh with the new monitors, courtesy of RivensBitch:

(Click through for the gear-annotated Flickr version.)

Nice setup. Looks like only room for improvement would be the clacker (used to have one of those really old keyboards, too).

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
It's not out yet, but I might preorder one or whatever. I don't even know how much the drat thing costs, but I really don't care.

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0301010506

That's right, the Avril Lavigne signature! Slap a Seymour Duncan Invader on it and it's ANNOY THE poo poo OUT OF THE NEIGHBORS time!

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Essential tools for "That 90s sound."

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

HumanSpeedBump posted:

This little box is worth many times the two hundred it retails for. Coupled with an FMR RNLA (next on the shopping list) and an NCC-1701 rack tray, it makes up a 1U-sized compressor-expander combo. (picture has two RNCs mounted)
Hahaha, I can't believe that model number is real.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Susano-maku da! posted:

It's not out yet, but I might preorder one or whatever. I don't even know how much the drat thing costs, but I really don't care.

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0301010506

That's right, the Avril Lavigne signature! Slap a Seymour Duncan Invader on it and it's ANNOY THE poo poo OUT OF THE NEIGHBORS time!

this better not cost any more than $100 on the justification that it makes music that sounds like Avril Lavigne's.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

Revvik posted:

this better not cost any more than $100 on the justification that it makes music that sounds like Avril Lavigne's.

Hey hey! You you! You're gonna buy my guitar!

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

FlossMan posted:

Hey hey! You you! You're gonna buy my guitar!

Hey hey! You you! I don't like your guitar!

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
It's getting ever more tempting to buy.

Scarlatti Cajun Melodian in C, 4 stop black finish. Common, but i've always liked them.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!
This is my grandfather's guitar. He got it new in 1950 but was too busy to ever really learn anything more than a few chords. It's on loan to me and it's my responsibility to get it fixed up, then bring it back to him and jam on it for him :D

I'm pretty sure it's a 1950 Gibson J-45 but if anyone else has any other info on it I'd love to hear. I took off the strings that were on it as they had dry rotted and rusted, but I was able to tune the low E string to a C and the tone I got was amazing. I can't wait to get her fixed up and start playing. The only real damage are some splits on the top and back, some superficial dings, and some rust on the outside of the tuners (which still turn like new)

Note how someone put the "bell" on upside down. It fits the lines of the headstock better in my opinion :D

zilong
Jun 14, 2007
;o;
Suhr DSV neck pickup
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1728/dsvneckvq5.jpg

Getting it used for half price as well :buddy:

zilong fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 22, 2007

Atomic Monkey
Jul 27, 2006

HIS AVATAR IS BEN AFFLECK BUT HIS NAME IS ATOMIC MONK.. OH WAIT, I GET IT

zilong posted:

Suhr DSV neck pickup
http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img247/1728/dsvneckvq5.jpg

Getting it used for half price as well :buddy:

I've never heard of Suhr pickups although im only educated in the big 3 (Dimarzio/Duncan/EMG) are they really nice pickups?

wheezy360
Mar 8, 2006
Just purchased this sweet piece of work yesterday. I am most definitely in lub. :3:

http://takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=877&sid=524

wheezy360 fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 23, 2007

dephconn
Oct 10, 2003

hamaien posted:

This is the guitar I built about a year and a half ago. Until now, the neck was the wrong size, but I just ordered a new one from Stewart MacDonald. Finally, I'll get to play my handmade guitar.

There's a jack that will never poo poo out on you :)

What kind of wood is that, and how did you do the neck pocket?

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

SpeedyCow posted:

This is my grandfather's guitar... :words: :swoon:

That's awesome. There's an old beat up 50's Gibson acoustic in a local second hand store around here. I'd love to get it if I had the money lying around.

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire
I'm thinking of getting a proper tube amp but over here in New Zealand this means getting reamed on the price and selection.

But the Peavey Valve King 212 seems good, $1500 NZ (about $1100 US under this crazy exchange rate) which is just about my theoretical budget. 100w of tube power is something that I feel I can really grow into.

Other than that, is I guess the Epiphone Valve Standard, but compared to the Peavey it just seems like a massive step down.

The Marshall and Mesa tube amps all start at around $2000 NZ here, so they are definitely out of the question.

So is the Peavey worthwhile or is it rubbish and I shouldn't bother?

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

SpeedyCow posted:

The only real damage are some splits on the top and back...
Please get those fixed before you put any strings on it. :(

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

dephconn posted:

What kind of wood is that, and how did you do the neck pocket?

It's alder, and all the important stuff (neck pocket, bridge mounting holes, pickup cavities) was pre-routed.... except for the loving input jack.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Uncle Caveman posted:

Please get those fixed before you put any strings on it. :(

Really? I took it to the shop today and the fellow said they shouldn't be a problem. He said to string it up and play it and see if I notice any problems with the tone. If I do I'll take it back to get it professionally done. Now you have me worried :(

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

There are two kinds of cracks you see in old guitars: finish cracks, where temperature & humidity have caused the wood to expand & contract beneath the thin lacquer (perfectly normal and non-damaging); and splits in the wood itself from impact or extreme climate change (ouch).

The bracing should provide enough support, but the top is put under a lot of tension when the strings are tuned up. I wouldn't want to chance it, and I sure as hell wouldn't tell a customer to "see what happens."

Unless I wanted to ensure they'd have to bring it in for repairs... :tinfoil:

Syrus
Nov 9, 2005
Peter Pan

quote:

But the Peavey Valve King 212 seems good, $1500 NZ (about $1100 US under this crazy exchange rate) which is just about my theoretical budget. 100w of tube power is something that I feel I can really grow into.

I don't know if you're a bedroom player or playing shows- but if alls you do is play at home this is far to many watts. Perhaps you can find a lower wattage amp at the same price that's got a better sound overall. I think the Valveking 100w and Vox AC-15 are simalarly priced but the Vox sounds much better to my ears. 100w of tube = really really really loud.

If you're playing shows though, then it sounds pretty good.

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

I've spent so much time clopping to fillies that my joints have locked up!
Valvekings are terrible. Hope you enjoy the 1 second delay between clicking the footswitch and the channel actually changing.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

w00trow wilson posted:

Valvekings are terrible. Hope you enjoy the 1 second delay between clicking the footswitch and the channel actually changing.

Yeah that sounds pretty terrible tbqh.

And I'll second that 100w is a lot of loving tube power, I play a Fender Champ25 and it's "only" 25 watts but those watts are so loving loud I can't turn it up past two inside the house

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Engine Fortegue posted:

Hey hey! You you! I don't like your guitar!

especially not for the $250 price tag it has:
http://tinyurl.com/355dez

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Has anyone had any experience with Fenders Pro-tube Supersonic? (http://www.fender.com/products/supersonic/) I need a goddamn amp after playing through my pod with headphones for the last five years, and so far its between this and the Hot Rod Deville.

I'm brining my guitar down to the shop tomorrow so I can see what it sounds like with my gear.

edit :

&

Rocky Top Hennessy
Mar 29, 2007

And the football descended like a dove upon him, and a voice came from the Great Romo which said, "You are my beloved Tight End; in you I am well pleased."
Deering Goodtime 2 banjo I got today from Janet Davis Music:

Made in USA!

It's even more fun than it looks :banjo:

CandyCain&Abel
Oct 21, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Dimarzio Super II. Hell yeah.
Sorry about the stock image, but what else are you gonna do? All black/cremes look the same...

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha

pennywisdom posted:

Has anyone had any experience with Fenders Pro-tube Supersonic? (http://www.fender.com/products/supersonic/) I need a goddamn amp after playing through my pod with headphones for the last five years, and so far its between this and the Hot Rod Deville.

I'm brining my guitar down to the shop tomorrow so I can see what it sounds like with my gear.

edit :

&

I prefer the Hot Rod Deville, it's an awesome amplifier.

My harmonicas aren't coming, but I ordered this:

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

Capitan Dad posted:

I prefer the Hot Rod Deville, it's an awesome amplifier.

I agree with this, I have no experience with the super sonic however every time I've played through a DeVille my brain has exploded so I'd go with that

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire

Syrus posted:

I think the Valveking 100w and Vox AC-15 are simalarly priced but the Vox sounds much better to my ears. 100w of tube = really really really loud.

Yeah 100w does seem a bit overkill.

I went down to more of a boutique store today, had a chat with the guy that runs it about some pedals etc, seemed like a decent guy. Then I noticed that they had a VOX AC15 there for $1300 NZ, I got the impression that I couldn't really go wrong with it.

Ok, now the hard part - getting $1300.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Engine Fortegue posted:

I agree with this, I have no experience with the super sonic however every time I've played through a DeVille my brain has exploded so I'd go with that

Well I brought down my gear to the shop and compared the two. I took the Hot Rod hands down. I cranked that bitch up to 12, and it sounded so crisp and clear I had to take it home. When I cranked the Supersonic, the clarity was lost, and the sound became somewhat distorted.

Since I saved almost $400 in buying the Hot Rod, I also purchased a shortboard for my pod.

Sorry about the lovely photo.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

pennywisdom posted:

Well I brought down my gear to the shop and compared the two. I took the Hot Rod hands down. I cranked that bitch up to 12, and it sounded so crisp and clear I had to take it home. When I cranked the Supersonic, the clarity was lost, and the sound became somewhat distorted.

Since I saved almost $400 in buying the Hot Rod, I also purchased a shortboard for my pod.

Sorry about the lovely photo.

:hellyeah: Is that the 4x10 or the 2x12? Either way I'm glad you're happy with it :)

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

This is a next, I really want one of these Ouds and I am planning on distorting the hell out of the sound through my amp.

I also want a decent condenser mic at some point but I'm dirt poor and probably won't get either of these until after college is finished for a couple years.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Engine Fortegue posted:

:hellyeah: Is that the 4x10 or the 2x12? Either way I'm glad you're happy with it :)

2x12.

I seem to be having some issues already :(

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2569949

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Phase One of the Dean Stylist project is complete:

So far: New Gretsch Bass pickups, Hofner tailpiece, Hipshot Ultralight tuners, bone nut, headstock refinish, knobs, switch tip, etc.

sailorjosh
Apr 23, 2006

Peanut butter, mother fucker.
New stuff!

fender deville 212 -

BOSS dd-6 delay

Crybaby Classic

I've also ordered new pickups for this guitar - I ordered the GFS premium alnico overwound set. I'll post a review when they get here, but I've heard good things, and at 60 bucks for the set, it's a crazy deal. I want my strat to sound like a strat - the invader just isn't doing much for me anymore.

I also just noticed how dirty the fingerboard is. Gross.

timmo
May 29, 2004

Uncle Caveman posted:

Phase One of the Dean Stylist project is complete:

God I want a hollow body bass so bad, and that looks so drat sweet.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

^^^I found it on ebay for $200. It's the most ridiculously good deal I've ever lucked into.

Also: Finished the girlfriend's birthday present... a few days late. :blush:

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Soon, my precious, soon. I've ordered these and I thought they might arrive today, but zilch :mad:. Hopefully they should slay me with layers of distortion (Seymour Duncan Metal Livewires)

Weird BIAS posted:

This is a next, I really want one of these Ouds and I am planning on distorting the hell out of the sound through my amp.

I also want a decent condenser mic at some point but I'm dirt poor and probably won't get either of these until after college is finished for a couple years.

Cool, I've always wanted to learn the Oud, is it much of a shift from guitar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HR
May 14, 2007
Recreational Paranoia is the Sport of Now
Just bought this puppy last week.

It was an impulse buy and a good one. It has V2 and S2 pickups and a unameable solid pickup nearest the tremolo. Any information on the year it was made would be helpful. Also it was made in Japan.