Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MB500SEL
May 20, 2004

Baron Von Jagmaur
Traveling north on the 404 out of Toronto yesterday I saw what looked like a tall Smart. After passing it I saw the Mitsubishi logo affixed to the front; with the help of google and wikipedia I found it's a Mitsubishi i (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i).

Now, it had Ontario plates, and it doesn't seem to be available in North America; my question is, how exactly would this have made it into the country? My first thought was a Show/Display permit, but don't those allow virtually zero mileage, and not on public roads? I'm just looking to satisfy my own curiosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
My 98 M3 is for sale but the tires on it are done for. I need to put on some new tires that won't cost me an arm and a leg, since it isn't going to influence sale price much, and something that won't give a bad impression of the car owner.

I expect the car won't sell right away, and since it's my daily driver I -really- need to get new tires. It's just that bad. Otherwise, I'd just leave the worn-out tires and sell it as is.

Basically, cheap performance tires in 225-45R17 and 245-40R17. For an M3.

Fake edit: I've tried to look for used tires, but in those dimensions I can't seem to find anything.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.

internet inc posted:

Basically, cheap performance tires in 225-45R17 and 245-40R17. For an M3.

Fake edit: I've tried to look for used tires, but in those dimensions I can't seem to find anything.

Try Avon Tech M550 A/S's

They're high performance all seasons, but they're good tires, and cheap. Tirerack.com has them.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I have a question about running the A/C and the effect it has on fuel efficiency.

I am going off the assumption that running the A/C on my '96 Mercury Cougar will decrease my gas mileage. My question is, will I lose even more mpg if I run the A/C on the highest/max fan setting compared to if I just run it on low fan speed? If there is a loss, is it noticeable enough to pay attention to? Thanks.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

grzydj posted:

Try Avon Tech M550 A/S's

They're high performance all seasons, but they're good tires, and cheap. Tirerack.com has them.

Should I really get all seasons, though? I doubt the new owner will want to use it as a daily driver through winter. Do they come in summer tires?

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.

internet inc posted:

Should I really get all seasons, though? I doubt the new owner will want to use it as a daily driver through winter. Do they come in summer tires?

Avon also has a summer performance tire as well, they are also on tire rack.

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God

Hughmoris posted:

I have a question about running the A/C and the effect it has on fuel efficiency.

I am going off the assumption that running the A/C on my '96 Mercury Cougar will decrease my gas mileage. My question is, will I lose even more mpg if I run the A/C on the highest/max fan setting compared to if I just run it on low fan speed? If there is a loss, is it noticeable enough to pay attention to? Thanks.

Well, the A/C is working harder when you are pushing more warm air through the evaporator. However, changing the blower speed from low to high probably isn't going to affect the MPG that much.

Food for thought: The air comming out of the vent is at it's coldest when the fan is on low and warmest (relativly speaking) when the fan is on high.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?

Uthor posted:

There might be a fuse you could check. Look in your manual for location of the fuse box/which fuse to pull. Another thing to check would be the bulbs, but I doubt that's it.

If it's not both those things, there's probably something wrong with the electrical system. My car had bad sockets in the rear that would burn out turn signals in months. I'm assuming you are still under warranty. I would take it into the dealer after trying the first two options. It should be covered and you shouldn't have to pay anything.

I checked every fuse under the hood and any interior fuse that the manual said had anything to do with headlights, and none of them were blown. I replaced the ones that specifically said "head lamps (low)" just to be sure, and still no go.

Unfortunately the dealership from which I bought my car has since gone out of business, so I guess I'm just boned. :smith:

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Smackbilly posted:

Unfortunately the dealership from which I bought my car has since gone out of business, so I guess I'm just boned. :smith:

Warranties are usually provided by the manufacturer.

Did you have any electrical work done recently, by chance?

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?

mr.belowaverage posted:

Did you have any electrical work done recently, by chance?

Nope. The only thing I had done recently (and recently as in a month ago) was an oil change.

The only thing I can suspect it might be even vaguely related to is: 3 years ago, the car was broken into and my CD player stolen. Immediately afterwards my turn signals wouldn't work, but somehow came back to life in the process of installing another radio in the dashboard. It's possible that there's a loose wire somewhere back there having something to do with the lights, but it's a bit strange if something like that would suddenly re-appear after working perfectly for 3 years.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

mr.belowaverage posted:

Exactly. Take it somewhere else. I've never had work done at the dealership I bought my car at. I've been there exactly twice: once to buy the car and once to pick up my plates. I moved down state immediately afterwards and the dealer down here has never given me a problem with warranty work.

Juneau
Dec 18, 2006
Please do me in the butt, big daddy!
My friend has a blank motorcycle frame and a bill of sale with a VIN on it. The motorcycle frame is supposedly from the dealership to replace a cracked frame that had the VIN from the bill of sale. According to the seller, we can take this to California Highway Patrol (or somewhere) and get the VIN etched onto my frame making it a street legal frame. Does anyone know how this process works?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I have a 1986 Celica GT-S, it has the flip up headlights.

When I first bought it the driver's side low-beam would come on, and then click off after several seconds. The high-beams worked fine, but the low beam would never stay on for more then a minute. Eventually the low-beam on the driver's side stopped working entirely

So with my minimal auto repair skills I went to work. I first bought a new lamp hoping it was the easy way out but no such luck, so I used my circuit tester on the socket for the head light, and all three prongs were getting power, or at least enough power to light up my cheap-o circuit tester so I haven't ruled out it being a short. I am two seconds away from chopping off the old socket and replacing it with a new one I purchased at NAPA. Any last suggestions? Perhaps I have a lovely ground (I was grounding my circuit tester off of the - batter terminal after all), or something else?

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
I'm fixing up a bike engine, and am about to blast the dirty cylinder block. Before I do this I'd like to have some primer ready to go so it stays nice and clean. I just came back from Piston Ring where they had a whole bunch of different kinds of heat resistant enamel, but no engine primer- they didn't even have any in their catalog. Is this not... strange? Do you not need primer?

Should I just spray on heat resistant paint directly? My plan was to spray on some black, heat resistant etching primer (if it exists) and leave it at that, but I'm concerned that straight paint won't stay on nicely without primer.

e: after asking around, apparently the normal thing to do is just paint it up sans primer. Kind of wish the shop guys had known that in the first place though...

Pweller fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 25, 2007

Messiah Ward
Jul 25, 2007

by Eris Is Goddess
Can I get anything for a car thats not running? (in this case a 97 Dodge Stratus with 0% on one cyliner)

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Messiah Ward posted:

Can I get anything for a car thats not running? (in this case a 97 Dodge Stratus with 0% on one cyliner)
It's always worth something. If nothing else, it has a lot of scrap metal in it. Your best bet, if you have no intention of fixing it, is to put it up on Craigslist or something as a parts car. There has to be someone, somewhere, who likes their Dodge Stratus enough to need parts.

Messiah Ward
Jul 25, 2007

by Eris Is Goddess

Pitch posted:

It's always worth something. If nothing else, it has a lot of scrap metal in it. Your best bet, if you have no intention of fixing it, is to put it up on Craigslist or something as a parts car. There has to be someone, somewhere, who likes their Dodge Stratus enough to need parts.

Not worth anything as a trade in on a new car I suppose.

Also, any idea how much I should as for it if I put it on craigslist? Have no clue how much would be appropriate. Its in pretty good condition, runs fairly well except the water pump failed on the freeway and let the timing belt mess up one of the valves.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Messiah Ward posted:

Also, any idea how much I should as for it if I put it on craigslist? Have no clue how much would be appropriate. Its in pretty good condition, runs fairly well except the water pump failed on the freeway and let the timing belt mess up one of the valves.
That's a pretty big problem. Trust me, it doesn't "run fairly well" with a bent valve.

I'd say $2k is a safe budget for replacing the engine. Take whatever the car would be if it ran ok, subtract $2k, and that's probably fair.

Messiah Ward
Jul 25, 2007

by Eris Is Goddess

Krakkles posted:

That's a pretty big problem. Trust me, it doesn't "run fairly well" with a bent valve.

I'd say $2k is a safe budget for replacing the engine. Take whatever the car would be if it ran ok, subtract $2k, and that's probably fair.

Duh, I meant "It ran fairly well until the water pump blah blah". Heh. I got quoted at least a $1000 for a valve job to fix it, the cars worth about $2000/2500 if I remember correctly.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Messiah Ward posted:

Duh, I meant "It ran fairly well until the water pump blah blah". Heh. I got quoted at least a $1000 for a valve job to fix it, the cars worth about $2000/2500 if I remember correctly.
A valve job *may* be enough, but bear in mind that other things may also have been damaged. A new engine is most likely the more appropriate fix.

Curlydave
Mar 19, 2006
My chosen presidential candidate supports the genocide in Darfur, and I stand by him 100%
How do I remove a sticker from the inside of my rear-view window? I need to update my parking permits. Soap+water+paper towels?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Curlydave posted:

How do I remove a sticker from the inside of my rear-view window? I need to update my parking permits. Soap+water+paper towels?
+credit card.

Most windows I'd use a razor, but the defroster circuit on the rear window makes it a bad idea there. If your car doesn't have that, then feel free to do that as well.

TAG BODY SPRAY
Jan 25, 2006

Alright! I fixed a bunch of problems on my 328is and I'm really happy so far.

Fixed:

Window Convenience Feature Microswith (alarm works now!)
Check Engine Light (Was some stupid Secondary Air pump for emissions)
OBC Light Bulbs (Were burned out)

Now what needs to be fixed (last few things)

1. When I rev the engine and let it wind back down, it make some growling noise at the exhaust almost as if I had an anti-lag system. I also smell funny stuff, at first I thought I was ALWAYS burning my clutch but I don't think that's the case. I've gotten MUCH better at driving stickshift. So I'm guessing the Catalytic Converter is going out. I plan on replacing the entire exhaust eventually so it's no problem.

2. The radio is dim. I can't see it unless I shine my flashlight into it or look at it from an angle in sunshine. I'm guessing some LEDs went out. If I install a new radio, do I need the unlock code? I was planning on getting one with Ipod support.

3. AC Doesn't work. The unit, the system itself works intermittently. Sometimes it works after driving for a while and sometimes it doesn't. I am planning on sending it to the guy that charges 49.99 to fix it. Should I?

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Messiah Ward posted:

Not worth anything as a trade in on a new car I suppose.
Sometimes dealerships have advertisements in which they guarantee a certain price for a trade in, no matter what.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Curlydave posted:

Googone can help get that drat residue off too. People have suggested WD40 as well, i've never done that personally.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I'm having a serious issue with something that shouldn't be a big deal at all.

My apartment complex has gone back on their promise of it being ok to wash my car in the complex. Of course it was yes when I was signing papers but it's OH GOD NO THINK OF THE CHILDREN when I ask which spigot to use.

The management companies usually specialize in being retarded, seemingly favoring the woman with the largest breasts to be put in charge. In any case, what are my alternatives? I'm in southern California if that changes anything. I don't want to pay $20/week for someone to wash it, gas station car washes are completely out of the question, and I don't know anybody with a house well enough to waltz over and use their water for 30-45 minutes.

I just bought a brand new car and I just can't stand it being dirty.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Waterless car cleaning is pretty common, it will look a million dollars compared to a sponge and a bucket of dirty water too.

emanonii
Jun 22, 2005

AXE EFFECT posted:

Now what needs to be fixed (last few things)

1. When I rev the engine and let it wind back down, it make some growling noise at the exhaust almost as if I had an anti-lag system. I also smell funny stuff, at first I thought I was ALWAYS burning my clutch but I don't think that's the case. I've gotten MUCH better at driving stickshift. So I'm guessing the Catalytic Converter is going out. I plan on replacing the entire exhaust eventually so it's no problem.

2. The radio is dim. I can't see it unless I shine my flashlight into it or look at it from an angle in sunshine. I'm guessing some LEDs went out. If I install a new radio, do I need the unlock code? I was planning on getting one with Ipod support.

3. AC Doesn't work. The unit, the system itself works intermittently. Sometimes it works after driving for a while and sometimes it doesn't. I am planning on sending it to the guy that charges 49.99 to fix it. Should I?

1. Not sure.

2. You only need the unlock code if you install the original radio again.

3. Is this your problem: http://macadamizer.com/bmwfix.html If so, the fix is easy. I did it on my '98 323.

tayLOVE
Jan 23, 2007
I'd really like to seafoam my car this weekend, but I'm not sure where the brake booster line is (it's a 95 volvo 850 turbo). Would anyone here be able to point me in the right direction?

struan87
Sep 8, 2004

What's your sign?

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

My apartment complex has gone back on their promise of it being ok to wash my car in the complex. Of course it was yes when I was signing papers but it's OH GOD NO THINK OF THE CHILDREN when I ask which spigot to use.
My old complex did the exact same thing.
Solution: do it anyway. There was a spigot right next to my garage, so I just washed my car there every weekend. I use a biodegradable soap since the parking lot had storm drains.

Zeshon
Dec 1, 2004
Do all automotive spark plugs use a common thread? My dad has a compression gauge, and I want to do a compression check before I install my supercharger, but has has had it for like 25 years, and I don't want to get town to bid'ness, only to not have it fit.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
They aren't. I'm not claiming be an exepert, but I do own a compression tester and It has three different fittings. I'd imagine there is a difference between american motors (using english system) and foreign cars (metric)

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
My sister recently a 1993 Jetta VR6. She took it today to get an OBD-II test for emissions inspection. Afterward, its "overheating" light came on, but the temperature gauge was in the normal zone. She did some shopping figuring it would cool down, but the light was still on. She saw steam coming from the car, but we're not sure if it was coming from the engine or from splashes onto the header, since it's been raining pretty heavily all day.

I think I read online that some VWs have seperate sensors for the gauges and lights. Is it possible the light's sensor has just gone crazy?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ok sort of related dumb question:

Did the IRC channel for AI change? #ai on zirc doesn't seem to exist anymore? :confused:

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Regarding leather care products:

I have some Lexol cleaner and conditioner and some Zymol cleaner and conditioner. I've read mixed things about Lexol on these forums but not much about Zymol at all. Which of these products should I use?

Also, how should I apply it? I've been using a sponge but I don't know it that's a good way to go about it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Guinness posted:

Ok sort of related dumb question:

Did the IRC channel for AI change? #ai on zirc doesn't seem to exist anymore? :confused:
There was some IRC drama and the channels have been moved to Synirc, AFAIK.

baptism of fiber
Oct 17, 2004
compound
Why is the exhaust note of the G35/350Z/FX35 so nice? Is there something special about the VQ35DE, or is there some acoustical tuning going in in the exhaust system?

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

baptism of fiber posted:

Why is the exhaust note of the G35/350Z/FX35 so nice? Is there something special about the VQ35DE, or is there some acoustical tuning going in in the exhaust system?
Is it? Top Gear wanted to rename the 350z to the Nissan Noisy.

Valve angle, timing, cam aggression, exhaust design and a whole host of other things impact on exhaust note.

sterito
Jul 8, 2002
cheese flavored
I just bought a used 2004 G35 sedan and I have a few questions:

1) I'm planning to replace the tires, should I get an alignment at the same time?
Also, any experience with Big O Tires?

2) Whenever I start up the car, a sweaty smell goes through the A/C for about 10 seconds. Do I need to replace a filter for that, and which one?

3) My car manual says regular unleaded is okay to run on but it recommends premium. Right now I'm running on regular and I'm noticing the gas mileage seems below average. Will running on premium possibly boost the gas mileage?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

sterito posted:

I just bought a used 2004 G35 sedan and I have a few questions:

1) I'm planning to replace the tires, should I get an alignment at the same time?
Also, any experience with Big O Tires?

Depends on when it was last aligned. Although since you just bought it used, I would go ahead and spring for the alignment. They aren't that expensive, and then you know it's properly done up. Also, I and my dad have always had good experiences with Big O Tires. The last time he bought new tires for his TL-S, he ordered from Tire Rack, and they delivered to Big O, and they mounted and balanced them. Pretty slick process.

quote:

2) Whenever I start up the car, a sweaty smell goes through the A/C for about 10 seconds. Do I need to replace a filter for that, and which one?

I know in my old Ford if I ran the AC all the way up til turning the car off, it would be a bit stinky the next time I turned it on. I could avoid this by turning the AC off and just having the fans blowing for about 30-60 seconds before turning the car off if I had been using the AC.

Don't know if that's what you're experiencing, but it may be worth trying.

quote:

3) My car manual says regular unleaded is okay to run on but it recommends premium. Right now I'm running on regular and I'm noticing the gas mileage seems below average. Will running on premium possibly boost the gas mileage?

If it says run premium, you should really run premium. You're losing performance, and the engine's timing is having to be retarded in order to cope with the lower octane rating. It is definitely possible that you are losing efficiency and thus gas mileage by running regular instead of premium. Premium really isn't very much more, so buy premium in the future.

• Locked thread