Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
The idea is just to get the tarrasque into the hole, no matter the size. When it's legs fall in, you toss a bag into them with it and it tears a hole into the astral plane. No matter how you slice it (pardon the pun) that's going to hurt. As long as you keep psuedo-porting bits and pieces of it into the astral plane before the regeneration kicks in, you're fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Vicissitude posted:

The idea is just to get the tarrasque into the hole, no matter the size. When it's legs fall in, you toss a bag into them with it and it tears a hole into the astral plane. No matter how you slice it (pardon the pun) that's going to hurt. As long as you keep psuedo-porting bits and pieces of it into the astral plane before the regeneration kicks in, you're fine.

What about just like a really big fireball

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

I'd prefer a maximized Hellball, but whatever. 60 points each of fire, cold, acid, electricity and sonic damage. A few of those, empowered, should do nicely. Too bad it's an epic spell.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Wolfsheim posted:

What about just like a really big fireball

30% Chance it gets nullified right out :(
You can't nullify a dimensional failure though.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.

Cuchulain posted:

From his use of a Command like ability and what seems to be the Stomp power Augmented, I've figured out what the monster in the dark is!
A Half-Giant Psywarrior.
Or maybe it's something else, but a Half-Giant Psywarrior could do that...

How about a half-giant half-hecatoncheires psywarrior? Nothing says frightening like a 100-armed, 50-headed aborted godling from the birth of the universe who got his mitts on the Expanded Psionics Handbook.

As to the Tarrasque, assay resistance pretty much nullifies its spell resistance, a fly spell makes you impervious to anything it can do, and it's vulnerable to mind-affecting spells and has a crummy will save. Dominate monster seems like it would be fun.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Wanderer posted:

Finger of death is a ray, isn't it? No dice.

No, it isn't. It does get a saving throw and spell resistance, though.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

bgaesop posted:

No, it isn't. It does get a saving throw and spell resistance, though.

But still, the spell resistance is at 32, which you can easily bypass at level 20 with proper items, and the will save is only at +20, which you can bring down and buff your own save DCs.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Precisely, which is why I think it won't be that big of a deal.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

My idea is still the best. Once it's busy trying to woo the decoy with flowers and candy you could drop an anvil on it.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

My idea is still the best. Once it's busy trying to woo the decoy with flowers and candy you could drop an anvil on it.

It has to be an epic anvil (effective enhancement bonus of at least +6) or the Tarrasque won't even feel it.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

IMJack posted:

It has to be an epic anvil (effective enhancement bonus of at least +6) or the Tarrasque won't even feel it.

It's an anvil full of candy, giving you an effective +30 modifier on diplomacy checks.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

bgaesop posted:

Precisely, which is why I think it won't be that big of a deal.

Too bad Finger of Death actually requires a Fortitude Save which means the Tarrasque will never succumb to it ever!

I guess you can get like twenty casters together to all cast either Finger of Death or Destruction over and over until the Tarrasque rolls a 1.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ferrinus posted:

Too bad Finger of Death actually requires a Fortitude Save which means the Tarrasque will never succumb to it ever!

I guess you can get like twenty casters together to all cast either Finger of Death or Destruction over and over until the Tarrasque rolls a 1.

You know what I did? I managed to half-remember the psionic ability Energy Missile, which you can change the type of to change the saving throw needed. I half-remembered it as a metamagic feat that would let you change the saving throw type, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't actually exist.

I like Cowcaster's idea.

edit: you could Desert Martyr it and force it to roll a 1! (let's see how many of you get this)

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Ferrinus posted:

There's a feat, circle casting or something like that, which lets casters band together to raise save DCs and damage dice on spells cast by them as a group. One 20th level wizard with leadership and that feat might be able to get the DC high enough (assuming his entire private army have it too)- although it may be that you have to be able to cast the spell to contribute to the DC, which would cut the number of contributors significantly. It would certainly be epic though.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Cowcaster posted:

I'd go with the Colossal Piano, myself. Then the Tarrasque pops out of the wreckage with piano keys for teeth and plinks out 'Chopsticks' before passing out. Gives all allies a +50 morale bonus.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

Talkie Toaster posted:

There's a feat, circle casting or something like that, which lets casters band together to raise save DCs and damage dice on spells cast by them as a group. One 20th level wizard with leadership and that feat might be able to get the DC high enough (assuming his entire private army have it too)- although it may be that you have to be able to cast the spell to contribute to the DC, which would cut the number of contributors significantly. It would certainly be epic though.

I don't know it sounds like that method would result in some elaborate cut scene where you summon a meteor into the sun causing it to go super nova engulfing the entire system into a supernova consuming all the planets. And then you roll 5d10 for damage.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

With Epic spells, you can make them do as much damage as you want. There's a spell that does 305D6 damage to the target, destroying them outright if the damage is more than their HP. But it also does 200D6 to the caster. :(

My personal favorite is Nailed to the Sky. You teleport the target into geosynchronous orbit. They take fire, cold and untyped damage (from vaccuum) every round and immediately begin to suffocate. They can't get down unless they can fly or teleport, neither of which the tarrasque can do. If you can get up there with him, just protect yourself with whatever magic you need and give him a little Telekinesis shove towards the nearest sun.

Skeet Urchin
Jun 6, 2006

by Peatpot

Vicissitude posted:

My personal favorite is Nailed to the Sky. You teleport the target into geosynchronous orbit. They take fire, cold and untyped damage (from vaccuum) every round and immediately begin to suffocate. They can't get down unless they can fly or teleport, neither of which the tarrasque can do. If you can get up there with him, just protect yourself with whatever magic you need and give him a little Telekinesis shove towards the nearest sun.

pushing something out of geosynchronous orbit won't make it fall towards the sun don't be silly

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Just giving it a helpful nudge out of orbit would at least start it in an ever-increasing orbit until it collides with something big or hot enough to kill it.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Okay so what about drowning it then? You somehow get it far out at sea and while you yourself can drink a potion of fly or somesuch the Terrasque has to swim and he'll get exhausted sooner or later and drown. Then he'll regain conciousness at the bottom of the sea and drown again and again and again.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vicissitude posted:

Just giving it a helpful nudge out of orbit would at least start it in an ever-increasing orbit until it collides with something big or hot enough to kill it.

Noo, it'd just put it into a higher orbit. You'd still need to push it out at escape velocity for a proper escape.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Why not just leave it up there? Or would the spell eventually wear off and it'd fall back down, or be teleported to earth, or what?

Affi posted:

Okay so what about drowning it then? You somehow get it far out at sea and while you yourself can drink a potion of fly or somesuch the Terrasque has to swim and he'll get exhausted sooner or later and drown. Then he'll regain conciousness at the bottom of the sea and drown again and again and again.

He could swim/walk along the ocean floor a little more before redrowning each time, and eventually would reach land. And, assuming your still alive, will probably hold a serious grudge.

That is, assuming your potion/spell/etc. doesn't run out before he gets tired, which doesn't seem implausible.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Why not just leave it up there? Or would the spell eventually wear off and it'd fall back down, or be teleported to earth, or what?

It's a teleport spell. Instantaneous duration. It drops you in orbit and leaves you there to die.

Boggus
Mar 26, 2007

A yellow jumpsuit makes all the difference.
Why not nudge it towards the planet itself and watch it burn up in the atmosphere like a shooting star?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Vicissitude posted:

It's a teleport spell. Instantaneous duration. It drops you in orbit and leaves you there to die.

If you have enough knowledge of orbital mechanics, and your world conforms sufficiently to ours that Geostationary orbit is a valid destination, and have enough mass allowance to pull a 130-ton creature, you might as well just drop him close enough to the sun that his solar orbit intersects the surface, and he falls in. THis is relatively easy, just pick a spot quite close to the Sun's surface. (A Telekinetic shove from from an orbit around the planet won't work. Unless you can change the object's velocity by a couple dozen km/sec, you're not going to drop it in the sun this way.)

All you have to worry is if there's a terribly-powerful bastard living in the Sun who might take exception to what you've done and visit some retribution on you. But Sun Gods are generally Good, aren't they?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

maltesh posted:

If you have enough knowledge of orbital mechanics, and your world conforms sufficiently to ours that Geostationary orbit is a valid destination, and have enough mass allowance to pull a 130-ton creature, you might as well just drop him close enough to the sun that his solar orbit intersects the surface, and he falls in. THis is relatively easy, just pick a spot quite close to the Sun's surface. (A Telekinetic shove from from an orbit around the planet won't work. Unless you can change the object's velocity by a couple dozen km/sec, you're not going to drop it in the sun this way.)

It's not that the wizard knows orbital mechanics, it's just that the spell happens to work out that way. I like to think whatever wizard made the spell just went "I'll make a spell that puts people in the sky forever", and let magic figure out the details.

I guess he could have done the same for a spell to send people into the sun, but that's something for a future wizard to take care of.

Idran fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 25, 2007

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I'm calling O'chul converting to a blackguard if he survives the next encounter with Xylon/Redcloak. Belkar dumping him was just the last straw.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

maltesh posted:

All you have to worry is if there's a terribly-powerful bastard living in the Sun who might take exception to what you've done and visit some retribution on you. But Sun Gods are generally Good, aren't they?

As per the teleport spell description, interplanar travel is not possible. It's 100 miles per caster level, so putting it into earth orbit is possible - you'd just need one quick scry spell to scope out the void of space so you satisfy the "viewed once" requirement.

Orbit works until it gets clipped by a meteor shower and knocked back down to earth, but the likelihood of that happening means that the PCs have certainly solved the problem for their own lifetimes.

And my point about killing a tarrasque being the best nerd icebreaker conversation has also been made. :v:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Tag Plastic posted:

The best anti-Tarrasque plan I ever saw was:

1. Catch it asleep (as it generally is)
2. Apply Headband of Intellect +6 and Ring of Sustenance
3. Wake it up and make friends with a suddenly reasonably smart and not-hungry True Neutral critter :glomp:

That sounds like the beginning to a Disney Movie!

TERRY! The Tarrasque and the boy who loved him! I might need to work up the script now, see if I can draw in both the kid and the gamer crowd...

So, the Creature in the Darkness isn't a tarrasque, unless it's a severe midget case. And I just read Start Of Darkness, where we learn about it's stew preference, and it's history before Xykon controls it.

And, yes, he's still hidden in shadow. Darned it, we demand Resolution!

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

tuluk posted:

I'm calling O'chul converting to a blackguard if he survives the next encounter with Xylon/Redcloak. Belkar dumping him was just the last straw.

Why would Belkar dumping him mean squat to him? To O'chul, Belkar is a homicidal maniac. Its not like hes being abandoned by his fellow paladins.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

As per the teleport spell description, interplanar travel is not possible. It's 100 miles per caster level, so putting it into earth orbit is possible.

Well, for geostationary you'd need to be about level 223, assuming a planet around the same size and mass of Earth. And for any lower orbit you'd have to also be able to give it an impossibly huge amount of velocity to make stable orbit and not fall down.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 25, 2007

Anomalous
Jun 27, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Vicissitude posted:

With Epic spells, you can make them do as much damage as you want. There's a spell that does 305D6 damage to the target, destroying them outright if the damage is more than their HP. But it also does 200D6 to the caster. :(

Wasn't there one called, and correct me if I'm way off, Get Away From Me? It did something like 20d6 of every damage type in a circular radius from the caster? They smoke some good pot down at WotC.

And those examples, ladies and gentlemen, are why I don't have the head for math nor the attention span to level a character (or troupe, since I'm normally DM) to epic range. It's all math climaxing on scrap paper after 15. Give me role-playing substance or give me... another character sheet so I can draft a bard (lol Elan lol)

I liked someone's idea that the monster under the umbrella is some sort of negative energy or Plane of Shadow creature, something that is pretty much exactly what it is now, sans frilly pink umbrella. But the question is, what creature is that small and can give the OotS serious danger vibes still? Unless he peels back that umbrella and unfurls into a Shadow Dragon or something, of course. Juvenile dragon, maybe?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Anomalous posted:

Wasn't there one called, and correct me if I'm way off, Get Away From Me? It did something like 20d6 of every damage type in a circular radius from the caster? They smoke some good pot down at WotC.

WotC posted:

The character deals 20d6 points of damage to any creature grappling him or her. The damage dealt is of no particular type or energy—it is a purely destructive impulse. If grappled by a magical force the force is automatically destroyed.

It's not the most epic of the epic spells, but it's a nice "gently caress you" to any barbarian that tries to jump you.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

MikeJF posted:

Well, for geostationary you'd need to be about level 223, assuming a planet around the same size and mass of Earth. And for any lower orbit you'd have to also be able to give it an impossibly huge amount of velocity to make stable orbit and not fall down.

Okay, so I'm not really up on astrophysics. Greater teleport solves the problem - there's no range.

Edit: quick rules review indicates that normally, teleport can only be used on willing creatures, which you have to be in physical contact with. So teleporting a tarrasque means it's time to invest in Circle of Teleportation, 'cause otherwise you will be riding said tarrasque into orbit. Not to mention the enormous amount of argumentation it will take to convince your DM that a creature with an int of 3 can be said to be "willing" to go anywhere.

TheFuzzyLumpkin fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 25, 2007

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Edit: quick rules review indicates that normally, teleport can only be used on willing creatures, which you have to be in physical contact with. So teleporting a tarrasque means it's time to invest in Circle of Teleportation, 'cause otherwise you will be riding said tarrasque into orbit. Not to mention the enormous amount of argumentation it will take to convince your DM that a creature with an int of 3 can be said to be "willing" to go anywhere.

That's the entire point behind the spell "Nailed to the Sky." The target gets a will save, and if it fails it goes to meet Yuri Gagarin.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

But when does it get hit by a blunt object and then maybe pop up and down like an accordion?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

After finally getting my books I'm having trouble reconciling what happens in Start of Darkness and what happens in the strip itself. Even taking into account the comic started off as a gag-a-day thing that evolved into a story, Xykon is just such a raging bastard in the book to Redcloak while in the strip they seem almost quasi-friends and, well I dunno I'm having trouble articulating why it seems so weird.

Regardless the book is excellent.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

RentACop posted:

After finally getting my books I'm having trouble reconciling what happens in Start of Darkness and what happens in the strip itself. Even taking into account the comic started off as a gag-a-day thing that evolved into a story, Xykon is just such a raging bastard in the book to Redcloak while in the strip they seem almost quasi-friends and, well I dunno I'm having trouble articulating why it seems so weird.

Regardless the book is excellent.

I have to agree. Without giving spoilers away, I realize why Redcloak still follows him, it's more out of frustration and denial than anything; but they have WAY too many chummy moments, considering what Xykon has done to him.

On the other hand, we don't have access to Redcloak's inner monologue... who knows what he's actually thinking at any given moment? Hopefully, something along the lines of brutal revenge.

The only explanation I can offer is that Redcloak believes so hard in his cause that he puts on a happy face to appease the boss, but you'd think that in nearly 500 strips, we'd get some indication that there is some dissent between them.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

NutShellBill posted:

I have to agree. Without giving spoilers away, I realize why Redcloak still follows him, it's more out of frustration and denial than anything; but they have WAY too many chummy moments, considering what Xykon has done to him.

On the other hand, we don't have access to Redcloak's inner monologue... who knows what he's actually thinking at any given moment? Hopefully, something along the lines of brutal revenge.

The only explanation I can offer is that Redcloak believes so hard in his cause that he puts on a happy face to appease the boss, but you'd think that in nearly 500 strips, we'd get some indication that there is some dissent between them.

Did you just miss this whole past storyline where Redcloak realizes he's become exactly like Xykon and deliberately goes to save all these hobgoblins he was writing off as acceptable casualties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

NutShellBill posted:

Xykon's whole speech to Redcloak at the end was about how Redcloak has no choice but to follow Xykon, or he has killed his brother and hundreds of other goblins for nothing. Sure, Redcloak could follow Xykon unwillingly, but that would mean he would have to admit he had hosed up to himself, and that would leave him a guilt ridden mess. Xykon was telling Redcloak that unless he wants to spend the rest of life in the fetal position crying, he has to not only continue to follow Xykon, he also has to like it. Redcloak's post-Start-of-Darkness life can be summed up with 'denial ain't just a river in egypt'.