Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Duck Is Back!
Sep 19, 2005
HOW I MINE FOR FISH??

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Is there any cheap, reasonable way to get to Menlo Park and back, without a car? If not, I'm just waiting till Midnight Mass is over and they're back at the Bridge, come September.

Know if the Berkeley or Oakland casts are any good?

Check out the Allnighter bus at: http://transit.511.org/providers/night.asp
Menlo park caltrain is across the street, and I'm sure you can catch a ride from someone there to at least a bus stop, if not all the way back to SF...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

CougarsWrath posted:

Applewood pizza about half a block down el camino from the theater has awesome pizza, and good beer too.

Oh, God, truth. This is the first pizza you eat crust first cause the dough's so damned good.

loud-bob
Feb 11, 2004

AHHHHHHHH
I recently got a Cincinnati Reds baseball cap. A basic one, semi-flatbill, like in the picture below. I was wearing it at a bar in the tenderloin and someone said it was a gang symbol. Now I'm all freaked out. Does anyone in the bay area know about this stuff?

loud-bob fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 24, 2007

hermanos
Dec 30, 2005

Magoo said that the "bird's the word"
But the Fur Byrd Gang flip birds on curbs
The C could stand for Crip and/or cuz, but I don't really see how the red fits in, since Crips don't wear it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

It's very unlikely that any gang members are going to mistake you for a rival gang member just because you are wearing a Reds hat, regardless of it being a gang symbol.

All kinds of seemingly random things are used as gang symbols, but it's usually more than just a baseball hat and I think most gang members are pretty capable of distinguishing between one of their enemies and a normal baseball fan.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 24, 2007

The Duck Is Back!
Sep 19, 2005
HOW I MINE FOR FISH??
I would still avoid wearing a red cap in the lovely part of Oakland on a Saturday night, but in general, you should be okay.

Kiko
Nov 12, 2003

Ask me about dropping out and getting molested by Arnold Schwarzenegger!

The Duck Is Back! posted:

I would still avoid wearing a red cap in the lovely part of Oakland on a Saturday night, but in general, you should be okay.

I'd avoid doing pretty much anything in a lovely part of Oakland on a Saturday night, to be honest.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Earwicker posted:

It's very unlikely that any gang members are going to mistake you for a rival gang member just because you are wearing a Reds hat, regardless of it being a gang symbol.

All kinds of seemingly random things are used as gang symbols, but it's usually more than just a baseball hat and I think most gang members are pretty capable of distinguishing between one of their enemies and a normal baseball fan.

I know nothing about gangs but was told once that there's some gang that uses a star of david as one of its symbols.

I used to have teachers in middle school tell me I couldn't wear my star of david since I might make people think I was in a gang!!!

Kifar
Mar 4, 2006

Two Headed Calf posted:

and do people real call it frisco and say hella all the time

No one who has lived in SF for more than a few years calls it frisco; if they do they are promptly reprimanded by the nearest SF resident. ;)

van o van o van o
Jun 3, 2007

where is my peach
I'll be visiting San Francisco in a couple of days, and I hear there are a lot of great record stores. Any particular ones you guys would recommend?

Sorry if this has been asked in this thread before but 40+ pages is a lot to read through

digital-entropy
Apr 21, 2002

van o van o van o posted:

I'll be visiting San Francisco in a couple of days, and I hear there are a lot of great record stores. Any particular ones you guys would recommend?

Sorry if this has been asked in this thread before but 40+ pages is a lot to read through

Not sure if you mean record as in vinyl, or music in general, but I hear Amoeba is really good:

http://www.amoeba.com/

That said, I still have yet to make it over there myself..

Earwicker posted:

Yeah its the same for a lot of Spanish words really. Everyone says "pre-SI-dio" but its actually supposed to be "presid-I-o", etc.

I really wish they'd stop saying pre-SI-dio. It's really annoying!

edit: it says they sell LPs too, so there you go :)

digital-entropy fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 24, 2007

van o van o van o
Jun 3, 2007

where is my peach
I'll be focusing more on vinyl but I'll probably pick up a couple of CDs at some point too. Thanks for the link, I'll put this on my list of places to check out

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

the best record stores in the country are in San Francisco.

your first stop should be Amoeba Records at the very end of Haight St, at Stanyan. It is loving huge. It is the Ur-record store. it is loving huge and overwhelming and you can easily spend a day or two combing through the racks.

my other favorite record store--which I prefer to Amoeba-- is Aquarius Records on Valencia between 22nd and 23rd. It is a tiny store but every single thing in the store is hand-picked. the range of music is very eclectic: rock (of all kinds), pop (of all kinds), metal (of all kinds), hip-hop, experimental, electronica, weird kitsch, poo poo you won't find anywhere else, and outsider music in general, really.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Aside from Amoeba, there's also Rasputin Music, which is just as good.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ozma posted:

I used to have teachers in middle school tell me I couldn't wear my star of david since I might make people think I was in a gang!!!

in South Dakota?!

minya posted:

my other favorite record store--which I prefer to Amoeba-- is Aquarius Records on Valencia between 22nd and 23rd. It is a tiny store but every single thing in the store is hand-picked. the range of music is very eclectic: rock (of all kinds), pop (of all kinds), metal (of all kinds), hip-hop, experimental, electronica, weird kitsch, poo poo you won't find anywhere else, and outsider music in general, really.

Yeah, definitely seconding Aquarius. I love this place but I can only go there rarely as I always end up spending way too much money. The best thing about this place, besides the huge variety of music they have, is the fact that they write long, thorough descriptions of most of what they carry and affix these descriptions to the CD's. So even if you have never heard of most of the stuff in the store its very easy to find things that will appeal to you.

Also they sell my album there :xd:

edit: also it's between 21st and 22nd

If you are shopping primarily for vinyl then definitely check out Saturn Records in Oakland and Groove Merchant in the Haight.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 24, 2007

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Earwicker posted:

in South Dakota?!

People would always say there were a lot more crips than you'd think in SD, I have no idea if this is actually true or not though. There really isn't that much gang violence that I know of but they're very afraid of it!

I also remember being told not to wear red bandannas lest I offend some cool-rear end crips

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma
Kind of hate you guys. Amoeba was great like 15 years ago. It's still a sight to behold, so definitely go, but it's basically like going to Virgin.

The sweet, true indie stores that I would recommend are:

Grooves (Vinyl ONLY!)
Rooky Ricardo's (tons of 60s 45s, nice funk/soul collection)
Recycled (great rock, quality control is top notch)
Groove Merchant
Aquarius

For dance/DJ stuff there's Tweekin and In House. Name drop me at In House to Lalo and he might hook it up.

So in summary, definitely check out Ameoba, but don't make that your only stop!

JohnnyRed fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 24, 2007

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Anyone else in SoMa losing electricity every 15 loving minutes? :argh:

hermanos
Dec 30, 2005

Same here.

Glad i'm on a loving laptop.

digital-entropy
Apr 21, 2002

Earwicker posted:

Anyone else in SoMa losing electricity every 15 loving minutes? :argh:

AlertSF.org posted:

Power outage in southern areas of the City. PG&E expects to restore power by 3:07 pm. DO NOT CALL 911 FOR INFO.

Sent by Duty Officer to 94110-Mission/Bernal Heights, 94112-Outer Mission/Ocean View/Crocker Amazon, 94116-Parkside, 94124-Bayview, 94127-West of Twin Peaks, 94132-Lakeshore, 94134-Visitacion Valley/Excelsior West (E-mail accounts, Pagers, Cell phones) through AlertSF

......powered by Roam Secure Alert Network

You can go to alertSF.org and sign up to receive alerts. It also sent that to me via text message.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

digital-entropy posted:

You can go to alertSF.org and sign up to receive alerts. It also sent that to me via text message.

Well poo poo, that's a pretty cool service. Thanks! :)

digital-entropy
Apr 21, 2002

Earwicker posted:

Well poo poo, that's a pretty cool service. Thanks! :)

No problem :) but it seems a tad inconsistent. When I lived in the Outer Sunset (where we had outages every month) it would never alert me. I think there's a population threshold that has to be met before they send it out.. but still I suppose it's good for the eventual earthquake/tsunami.

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!
Where's a good place to shop for indie hipster-ish clothes? Preferably without spending an arm and a leg.

loud-bob
Feb 11, 2004

AHHHHHHHH
Does anyone know about gardening in the bay area? Specifically, what things to grow and when? I'm investigating the possibility of growing some fruits, vegetables and possibly nuts(?) on a roof outside my kitchen window. It's about 10 by 6 feet. I have no idea about growing things, but the idea of learning to grow my own food is extremely interesting right now. Anyone want to tutor me or point me in a direction?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Im going to be here until Saturday and my hotel is in between the Castro and the Tenderloin. How's the nightlife in the Castro? Would it be safe to go to a dance club or something solo?

minya
Sep 7, 2004

gonger posted:

Where's a good place to shop for indie hipster-ish clothes? Preferably without spending an arm and a leg.

urban outfitters

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

minya posted:

urban outfitters
Maybe I'm super cheap, but when I went there the other day I saw a lot of things I thought were surprisingly near the arm/leg region for what you get.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Sivart13 posted:

Maybe I'm super cheap, but when I went there the other day I saw a lot of things I thought were surprisingly near the arm/leg region for what you get.

if you think UO is expensive then the boutiques & stores that have nicer-made and better-designed clothes will make you gasp :wth:

there's always H&M which has a bunch of stuff nearly identical to what UO carries at 30-60% less

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING
Any recommendations for American-style breakfast diners in SF? I've already tried the two big-shots, Mama's on Washington Square and Dottie's True Blue Cafe. I'd like some place with a slightly shorter wait than either of those places.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Guerrand posted:

Any recommendations for American-style breakfast diners in SF? I've already tried the two big-shots, Mama's on Washington Square and Dottie's True Blue Cafe. I'd like some place with a slightly shorter wait than either of those places.

mels????? the original? on Geary, on Van Ness, and on Mission

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees
H&M is pretty drat cheap. The quality of some of the clothing isn't too bad either, but I've found some really lovely stuff there.

digital-entropy
Apr 21, 2002

minya posted:

mels????? the original? on Geary, on Van Ness, and on Mission

seconded

loud-bob
Feb 11, 2004

AHHHHHHHH

Guerrand posted:

Eddie's on Divis. It's a greasy spoon without a line and friendly service. Also, Modern Tea on hayes has some awesome waffles but it's not really a diner.

loud-bob fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 25, 2007

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

loud-bob posted:

Eddie's on Divis. It's a greasy spoon without a line and friendly service. Also, Modern Tea on hayes has some awesome waffles but it's not really a diner.

Any of these places people have mentioned make a decent plate of biscuits and gravy? Do I have to start making my own?

Zoccoli
Feb 12, 2004

Everything that stands will be at odds with its neighbor, and everything that falls will perish without grace
There's also the Lucky Penny at Geary & Masonic, which is pretty good considering how cheap it is. I've never tried the biscuits and gravy there, sorry. It's open 24/7, though!

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

Guerrand posted:

Best breakfast I've had in SF is at Hamburger Haven, in the Richmond. It's like Clement and 8th or thereabouts. They do loving bisquits and gravy!!!

berzerker posted:

Any of these places people have mentioned make a decent plate of biscuits and gravy? Do I have to start making my own?

HAMBURGER HAVEN!!!

Mr. Sleep
Aug 2, 2003

Guerrand posted:

I love the Pork Store on Haight. The Daily Grill on Mason and Geary is also excellent for breakfast, with a classic NY-style bistro feel to it.

Zoccoli posted:

There's also the Lucky Penny at Geary & Masonic, which is pretty good considering how cheap it is. I've never tried the biscuits and gravy there, sorry. It's open 24/7, though!

Lucky Penny's pretty terrible in my experience, even for the price. If you venture out into the Sunset towards Taravel you'd find the Taravel Cafe at 22nd and Taravel with the $5 breakfast that includes pancakes, bacon, eggs and breakfast potatoes. There's also a host of breakfast places on 9th and Irving that are excellent and affordable.

If you're in the neighborhood for 24/7 places, there's the Video Cafe on 21st and Geary, the Baghdad Cafe near Castro and Market and Sparky's Diner on Church and Market.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sparky's Diner isn't exactly great food but when you're drunk at 2am its wonderful. Baghdad Cafe is just gross.

I rather like Boogaloo's (22nd and Valencia) even though its far from a traditional diner and you have to wait a long time to get seated for breakfast on weekends. But its worth it.

I also like Cafe la Taza (21st and Mission) quite a bit which is just a nice general cafe/restaurant that serves great breakfast with very high quality ingredients and really good prices too. Also unlike many of the other places, theres not really much hype associated with it, its much more of a neighborhood place, so you'll rarely have to stand in a long line.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Also, a few of us scary forums nerds who work in SoMa are meeting for a beer or two this evening at 21st Amendment. Thats on 2nd st. between Bryant and Brannan, everyone is welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hermanos
Dec 30, 2005

I can't make it, because I've got a date!

A date with a deadline that is :smith:

• Locked thread