Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

Danton posted:

My windows have bars over them, would that interfere with the wire antenna?
Can I use the grate over my window to increase the signal, maybe by putting together a new wire and just attaching it to the grate?
That's the first thing that popped in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Danton posted:

Got the radio last thursday, works great. The manual was in english and so are the buttons, so go Degen if you're looking at the 1103 and save yourself $30. The wire antenna that came with it isn't much better than the whip in my apartment, although up on the roof I was pulling in a bunch of carribean stations (Cuba, RTI from Okeechobee, presumably Radio Netherlands was coming from the Antilles). A few questions though:

My windows have bars over them, would that interfere with the wire antenna?
Can I use the grate over my window to increase the signal, maybe by putting together a new wire and just attaching it to the grate?
I'm thinking about picking up the Degen DE31 amplified loop antenna (Radio Intelligencer says it's at least comparable to the Sony ANLP and it's currently $21 shipped on ebay right now), would that help more than, say, stringing a long wire up to the roof?

The bars might affect the signal. You know the stereotypical TV antenna with all of the little rods sticking out? Most of those don't actually receive anything, they reflect the signal to the part of the antenna that does pick up the signal.
Maybe just try touching the whip antenna to the grate and see what effect is has. I know I've read about hams using all sorts of weird junk as antennas; bedsprings, aluminum ladders, fences, etc.
As far as a wire antenna, when you used the included wire, did you run it outside or inside? Definitely try it outside if you haven't. The Degen antenna might be a better choice, it all really just depends on the circumstances. I think it has a built in antenna tuner, which can help reduce some noise and interference. A big longwire antenna can give you better reception of signals, but it will also give you better reception of noise, too.

overflow
Dec 20, 2001

meatpotato posted:

Well I guess it would be pirate, although I plan on getting a ham license soon. I work on the days our local club meets, though :(. I made a very very weak transmitter today using a crystal oscillator timing chip I snagged from work. The audio quality was very good but range was about 6 inches from the antenna, heh. It obviously needs some amplification, although now I have an excellent way to merge the audio and the carrier.

I should have some RF amplifier samples coming soon in the mail, maybe I can figure out how to use them with this.

In that case (I've been doing a lot of investigating into building my own) you should check out the Yahoo homebrew pirate group. It's the only place I've seen so far that has decent PCBs, component layouts, etc. Most of the good stuff is in the files section. They have plans and info for all kinds of transmitters, FM/AM/SW. You need a Yahoo account to signup, but hey. I do believe I'll start work on a "Corsair" this week.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/homebrewpirateradio/

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
For the magnetic loop antenna can you just clip it on to the whip for us poor folk with SW radio's without an external antenna jack? I want to build one and screw around but if it wont work with my current radio I do not want to bother until I get something better. I think I might get a military buddy to get me a E5...

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
What *IS* a good external antenna to get?

Can I just wire a load of speaker wire and toss it out the window, wiring it to a jack?

Danton
Nov 10, 2005

by Ozma

Dog Case posted:

As far as a wire antenna, when you used the included wire, did you run it outside or inside? Definitely try it outside if you haven't. The Degen antenna might be a better choice, it all really just depends on the circumstances. I think it has a built in antenna tuner, which can help reduce some noise and interference. A big longwire antenna can give you better reception of signals, but it will also give you better reception of noise, too.

I've run it inside, I don't have any access to the backyard that my windows face out on to so I haven't done anything outside yet. I figure being on the ground floor of a city apartment building, it would be better to pick up the amplified antenna anyway. I've got a roll of speaker wire that I can attach to the grate once I pick up a plug.

I think I'll pick up the amplified antenna next week. The Degen got good marks for it's internal fine tuner, and I'm pretty impressed with their radio so far. I still might run the wire up to the roof, but I don't want to get the cops called on me for climbing on the fire escape when I'm setting it up :shobon:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Alright, that's it. A person can only read about these things so long before succumbing to giving it a try themselves.

I'm off to Radio Shack to snag a Grundig E5, despite my better judgement.

You bastards.

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title

nitrogen posted:

Can I just wire a load of speaker wire and toss it out the window, wiring it to a jack?

Yep. If you scroll up, I talked about how I did this a few days ago with excellent results. There's also a couple links here about some more complicated homemade antennas which sound intriguing. If you want reviews of commercial antennas, take a look at Passport.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Nostratic posted:

Alright, that's it. A person can only read about these things so long before succumbing to giving it a try themselves.

I'm off to Radio Shack to snag a Grundig E5, despite my better judgement.

You bastards.

Tell how much it wound up costing, so I can add it to the OP, which I just updated by the way.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
I'll be adding a bit to the cash totals in a month or so.

I'm moving soon, and my new landlord said it's cool with him if I put an antenna up on the roof. He said that there's an old TV antenna up there, complete with coax. Do any of you think just hooking up to the TV antenna will be any good, or should I replace it with something else?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Holy poo poo, Amsterdam? I think that's what I'm hearing. 11968 KHz. First non-Spanish/English thing I've heard.

My Grundig E5 was $150 at Radio Shack.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Nostratic posted:

Holy poo poo, Amsterdam? I think that's what I'm hearing. 11968 KHz. First non-Spanish/English thing I've heard.

My Grundig E5 was $150 at Radio Shack.

Added to the list. The amount in terms of already sold equipment is rapidly nearing 5,000 dollars, and 16 E5s have been sold. Yikes.

I'm really, really sorry!

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title

AstroZamboni posted:

Added to the list. The amount in terms of already sold equipment is rapidly nearing 5,000 dollars, and 16 E5s have been sold. Yikes.

The American economy thanks you.

Icy Black Hand
Nov 20, 2002

State of the badass art.

AstroZamboni posted:

Better add $100 for a Grundig G4000A for me. I have been wanting one for a while, and you bastards pushed me over the edge.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Icy Black Hand posted:

Better add $100 for a Grundig G4000A for me. I have been wanting one for a while, and you bastards pushed me over the edge.

Cool. That means Eton/Grundig has made 2,535 cold hard bucks thanks to this thread.

Sennheiser
Jan 27, 2007

by Lowtax
Anyone that knows anything about radio scanners want to answer a couple of questions? :)

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Sennheiser posted:

Anyone that knows anything about radio scanners want to answer a couple of questions? :)
Certainly, we've already answered several scanner questions.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

nmfree posted:

Certainly, we've already answered several scanner questions.

If someone who's an expert in scanners could post a bunch about it, making sort of a comprehensive "Scanner tutorial," I would certainly appreciate it. It would help make this a "general weird radio poo poo" thread which would be awesome.

My next big purchase will be a scanner.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

AstroZamboni posted:

If someone who's an expert in scanners could post a bunch about it, making sort of a comprehensive "Scanner tutorial," I would certainly appreciate it. It would help make this a "general weird radio poo poo" thread which would be awesome.

I don't know much about scanners except that at certain times of the year, my father's (which was, to be fair, connected to a big huge areal antenna outside) could pick up some pretty wacky poo poo. For example, we live in south central North Carolina, and managed to pick up the Coast Guard in Charleston, SC (until about 15 years ago we had almost a clear line of sight down there, so it's not that big a deal I don't guess) one morning, and the California Highway Patrol the next.

This usually happened around mid-May to late June, which was also a great time to gently caress around on the FM dial at night (managed to pick up stations as far away as Hampton Roads, VA and Savannah, GA a couple of summers ago)

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

AstroZamboni posted:

Well, what would you like to know about? I've been into scanners almost as long as I've been into SW.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Oh God, it sounds like a congregation of young, brainwashed girls saying the Rosary, over and over, FOR 20 MINUTES STRAIGHT so far.

I'm deeply disturbed, and yet I can't... change... the frequency... :cry:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Yet another E-5 being purchased soon. :)

Apparently Amazon doesn't ship radios to Europe (for some reason?), but I found a local supplier. It'll be about $200 including shipping, but I suspect that's almost what I would have paid with overseas shipping from the US and customs fees anyway.

overflow
Dec 20, 2001

nitrogen posted:

Basically, and that's what's known as a random wire antenna. If you want to tune it a little better though - you can make a dipole antenna tuned to the frequencies you want to listen to. An easy formula for this is to divide 300 by the frequency you want to listen to in Mhz to get the wavelength in meters. This is also how bands are determined; 40m 10m bands, etc. So, say you want to listen to 6295kHz (frequency used by most pirates these days.) Take 300 divided by 6.295 which equals approximately 47meters. Divide this by four to get a quarter wavelength. A dipole is just two quarter wavelength pieces of wire with the lead going to the radio dead in the middle. In this case we'd have two lengths of wire 38.5 feet. If you want to get fancy, you can connect coax in the middle as the guy in the site below has. If you're lazy like me you can just connect them with a wire nut in the middle and run a third to your radio. These antennas of require a fair bit of room. Nice if you've got a yard. If you're indoors, check out either the magnetic loop I posted, or you can check on ebay for shortwave "slinky antennas" which seem to run about $60. For more info on building your own dipole, check:

http://www.mattstuff.nq.nu/antennas/dipole.html

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

nmfree posted:

Well, what would you like to know about? I've been into scanners almost as long as I've been into SW.

I know this is appallingly vague, but a comprehensive description of what a scanner can and can't do, what frequencies they cover, what sort of things you are able to listen to, what features to look for in a good scanner, etc.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I've found the Spanish numbers lady during the 7 UTC hour (midnight Pacific) on 5883 for three nights running. So, anyone looking for a numbers station, that's a pretty solid bet, at least for now.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Cadillac Sometimes I posted:

I've found the Spanish numbers lady during the 7 UTC hour (midnight Pacific) on 5883 for three nights running. So, anyone looking for a numbers station, that's a pretty solid bet, at least for now.

I have all of the known frequencies of the Spanish Lady (Enigma designation: V2) stored in my E5's memory banks. Usually, if I want to find an easy pickins number station to freak out a friend I can just flip through the memory and find our sultry Cuban mistress pretty easily.

By the way, I've heard good things about Eavesdropper Dipoles. Fairly full featured tunable dipole for 80 bucks for those who aren't quite so DIY-minded.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0680.html
http://www.antennasupermarket.com/

Niklas Kronwall
Sep 23, 2005

by angerbotSD

AstroZamboni posted:

I have all of the known frequencies of the Spanish Lady (Enigma designation: V2) stored in my E5's memory banks. Usually, if I want to find an easy pickins number station to freak out a friend I can just flip through the memory and find our sultry Cuban mistress pretty easily.

By the way, I've heard good things about Eavesdropper Dipoles. Fairly full featured tunable dipole for 80 bucks for those who aren't quite so DIY-minded.

What would I need to hook this up to my Satellit? I haven't had an antenna yet, and have heard complaints that the input is weird, but it appears to be just a normal DIN 45325 coaxial input.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

AstroZamboni posted:

Yeah, they look pretty awesome, and it says they can be done as an attic installation, too. I'm probably going to buy one and try to put it up next month. I'm happy with the AN-LP1's reception, but it never hurts to try something new!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

AstroZamboni posted:

I know this is appallingly vague, but a comprehensive description of what a scanner can and can't do,

First, despite what anyone else might tell you, you don't need a trunking scanner to listen to a trunked system. The only way that you wouldn't be able to listen to a trunked system is if they use one of the digital voice modes/ digital encryption. The only thing that will be different is that you'll have to lock out the data control frequency (daily, if it rotates) and it's a little more difficult to follow individual conversations.

Other than that, there isn't much that a scanner won't be able to do. Any new radio you buy today will be set up for NFM at 12.5 kHz spacing on VHF (as opposed to the old 25 kHz channels).

AstroZamboni posted:

what frequencies they cover,
As many as you want to pay for, basically. The traditional Bearcat/Radio Shack scanner will cover 30-54, 138-170, 400-512, and 800-950 MHz (roughly), but there are also wideband radios that will cover a much greater swath of spectrum.

AstroZamboni posted:

what sort of things you are able to listen to,
Police, firefighters, ambulances, street sweepers, utility companies, hams, studio link feeds for commercial broadcasters, cordless phones, paging services, marine radios, NOAA weather radio, etc.

AstroZamboni posted:

what features to look for in a good scanner, etc.
Here are the things I'd look for, from most important to least:

Sensitivity
Intermod rejection
Frequency coverage
Trunking coverage
# of Memories

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I just got off work and now I'm about to go see a movie, but I'll add some info on what bands are what for scanners later!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

nmfree posted:

Police, firefighters, ambulances, street sweepers, utility companies, hams, studio link feeds for commercial broadcasters, cordless phones, paging services, marine radios, NOAA weather radio, etc.

Street sweepers? loving AWESOME!!! :fap:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

nmfree posted:

Can I just say that cordless phones via scanner are the greatest source of comedy ever? My father and another CB/Scanner/Radio nut friend of his used to trade audiotapes of white trash drama and discuss it like it was fuckin' General Hospital. "Oh man, you need to hear what Fid and Floyd did this week"

Back in 1995, one of my best friends was on the phone with his girlfriend, who lived in scanner range of us. Their conversation was mediocre...until she had to set the phone down for 5 minutes or so, at which point I got to hear the poo poo my friend did when put on hold. Things like muttering "oh poo poo, wapner!" and beatboxing the People's Court theme.

Yeah he wasn't real happy when I whipped that tape out.

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Refill my prescription to whatever that thing is that makes the carpet stop turning into snakes in lieu of my coming conniption

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Can I just say that cordless phones via scanner are the greatest source of comedy ever?

This is so true. I love my scanner even though its a few years old now. I hope to get a new one and a SW soon. About 5 years ago I was on my scanner and picked up a phone call. I realized it was the voice of an older guy in my neighborhood. He was screaming about going out to get the fuckers who shorted him on his latest herion sale. The next day I heard him talking to his daughter about seeing his grandkids and how he was enjoying his retirement.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

My only good intercepted cordless phone conversation was when a girl in my neighborhood described her "first time" to one of her friends. :quagmire:

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Yeah he wasn't real happy when I whipped that tape out.
I hope you still have that tape somewhere.

Sennheiser
Jan 27, 2007

by Lowtax
I just bought a Bearcat 210XLT from a goon. Aside from being horribly obsolete, what sort of things can it do BESIDES just listen to police/fire/EMS/etc. radio?

Are there any shortfalls to having an old scanner?

Also, all of the frequencies in Chicago tune to five decimal places, usually being something like 100.41350, but the BC210XLT only tunes to the third decimal place.

How will I be able to pick up my Chicago frequencies? Will the audio quality/volume be worse?

EDIT: oh hey sup dog case buddy

Sennheiser fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 27, 2007

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Sennheiser posted:

I just bought a Bearcat 210XLT from a goon. Aside from being horribly obsolete, what sort of things can it do BESIDES just listen to police/fire/EMS/etc. radio?
Nothing, that's all it was made for. You could modify it to do things like recieve 138 MHz weather fax signals, but that can get pretty complicated pretty fast.

Sennheiser posted:

Are there any shortfalls to having an old scanner?
Good luck finding only 10 frequencies to monitor; even in a smallish city like where I live I need at least 150 memories to listen to everything. Otherwise, you've already found the main weakness of older units: they don't tune in small enough steps.

Sennheiser posted:

Also, all of the frequencies in Chicago tune to five decimal places, usually being something like 100.41350, but the BC210XLT only tunes to the third decimal place.

How will I be able to pick up my Chicago frequencies? Will the audio quality/volume be worse?
You'll just have to get lucky, I guess. You'll be able to hear things that aren't exactly on frequency, but it will be scratchy at best.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

I can answer scanner questions as well. They are actually easier to use vs. shortwave.

nmfree posted:

First, despite what anyone else might tell you, you don't need a trunking scanner to listen to a trunked system. The only way that you wouldn't be able to listen to a trunked system is if they use one of the digital voice modes/ digital encryption. The only thing that will be different is that you'll have to lock out the data control frequency (daily, if it rotates) and it's a little more difficult to follow individual conversations.
This is true, but the channels rotate somewhat randomly when the mike is un-keyed so it is possible to hear the beginning of a conversation, but miss the end. Edit: My scanner isn't able to do trunked systems, I have to rely on a fast scan. Newer ones don't have my problem.

quote:

Other than that, there isn't much that a scanner won't be able to do. Any new radio you buy today will be set up for NFM at 12.5 kHz spacing on VHF (as opposed to the old 25 kHz channels).
In addition, most newer radios have the ability to change between 5/12.5/25 khz, should you wish to do so.

quote:

As many as you want to pay for, basically. The traditional Bearcat/Radio Shack scanner will cover 30-54, 138-170, 400-512, and 800-950 MHz (roughly), but there are also wideband radios that will cover a much greater swath of spectrum.
As an example, mine covers 25-520 mhz and 760-1300 mhz (the missing part is US government frequencies.)

quote:

Fast food drive throughs, mall security, NASCAR cars (hey, I'm in the south), CB radios, aircraft/airports, family radio services...

quote:

Here are the things I'd look for, from most important to least:

Sensitivity
Intermod rejection
Frequency coverage
Trunking coverage
# of Memories
As with shortwave, anything other than the stock antenna is better. One thing you want to keep in mind, though. As the frequency increases, the length of antenna needed decreases. This is why truckers run huge antennas (27 mhz is the CB band) while cell/cordless phones have tiny antennas (800-2000 mhz.)

This eliminates the need for huge, slinky inducing, window-wrapping setups. It does however, introduce the "line of sight" problem (for a different reason, just work with me here). "Line of sight" is exactly as simple as it sounds. Given a clear day, with no obstructions, could you see the tower? If yes, you can get the signal. If no, probably not. This explains the 50 bazillion cell phone towers out there.

Higher frequencies (I'm talking about roughly 800 mhz and higher here) are adversely affected by metal. The signals literally bounce off the metal. Ever have trouble getting cell phone signals in a mall? There you go.

Along the lines of antennas/scanners/police, you can hazard a guess as to where your local authorities are transmitting by looking at the antennas on their cars. Do they have a huge, 10 foot monster? They're monitoring CB or the 40-50 mhz area. Do their antennas look like a toothpick? Check the 800 mhz area. Something the length of an average car radio antenna? Look in the 150's.

http://www.cityfreq.com/ has annoying ads, but some good scanner info as far as frequencies. Here's my county as an example;
code:
Anderson, south carolina Scanner Frequencies

35.9000 	  	HUGHES WELL DRILLING CO INC
45.6400 	  	PERFORMANCE COMMUNICATIONS LLC.
47.6800 	  	WHAM BROS CONSTRUCTION CO INC; WHAM BROS CONST CO INC
72.3400 	  	Primex Wireless, Inc
150.8150 	  	HUITT, SHIRLEY
151.0550 	  	ANDERSON, COUNTY OF
151.6250 	  	new SPRING COMMUNITY CHURCH
151.6550 	  	PHILLIPS, LEON H
151.7150 	  	ANDERSON AREA MEDICAL CENTER; AnMed Health
151.8650 	  	FEDERAL LICENSING INC
152.0075 	  	AnMed Health
152.9000 	  	CHAMBLEE, L C
153.1850 	  	MORRIS COMMUNICATIONS INC.
153.9500 	  	ANDERSON, COUNTY OF; Anderson County Fire Department; PYRAMID COMMUNICATIONS
154.0850 	  	PERFORMANCE COMMUNICATIONS LLC
154.1000 	  	PERFORMANCE COMMUNICATIONS LLC
154.1600 	  	ANDERSON, city OF
154.2950 	  	PYRAMID COMMUNICATIONS
154.4150 	  	Anderson County
154.5150 	  	AnMed Health; H M ELECTRONICS INC
154.5400 	  	wood INC; T REE MCCOY & SONS; PEARSON CONSTRUCTION & REALTY CO INC
154.6000 	  	BUD TABOR ENTERPRISES; PERFORMANCE COMMUNICATIONS LLC.
154.8150 	  	PERFORMANCE COMMUNICATIONS LLC
154.8900 	  	APCO LICENSING
155.0850 	  	ANDERSON, COUNTY OF
155.2200 	  	Anderson County; MORRIS COMMUNICATIONS INC; PERFORMANCE COMM.LLC
155.3100 	  	ANDERSON COUNTY
155.3400 	  	AnMed Health
155.3850 	  	PERFORMANCE COMMUNICATIONS LLC
155.8800 	  	ANDERSON, COUNTY OF; Anderson County Sheriff's Office
156.0000 	  	ANDERSON, COUNTY OF
156.0750 	  	Anderson County; ANDERSON, COUNTY OF
157.5300 	  	Diversified Electronics Inc
157.6800 	  	AnMed Health
157.6950 	  	AnMed Health
157.7100 	  	AnMed Health; PERFORMANCE COMMUNICATIONS LLC
158.2950 	  	PERFORMANCE COMMUNICATIONS LLC
158.3100 	  	MORRIS COMMUNICATIONS INC; business RADIO LICENSING
158.3400 	  	AnMed Health
158.3550 	  	MORRIS COMMUNICATIONS INC; BUSINESS RADIO LICENSING
158.4150 	  	PERFORMANCE COMMUNICATIONS LLC
159.0300 	  	Anderson County
159.4950 	  	AnMed Health
159.7800 	  	LAO 20705408
160.1700 	  	Broadway Technologies LLC
171.1050 	  	CHARLES I TABOR ENTERPRISE; BUD TABOR ENTERPRISES
451.9500 	  	Pickens Construction, Inc.
452.8250 	  	Broadway Technologies LLC
453.9750 	  	Anderson County
456.3500 	  	PERFORMANCE COMMUNICATIONS LLC
456.4750 	  	PERFORMANCE COMMUNICATIONS LLC
457.4000 	  	Performance Communications LLC.
458.2250 	  	ANDERSON SPORTS & entertainment CENTER
458.5500 	  	ANDERSON COUNTY 911
458.9750 	  	ANDERSON, COUNTY OF
460.7375 	  	ANDERSON AREA MEDICAL CENTER
461.0625 	  	CARA Enterprises Inc
461.2500 	  	FEDERAL LICENSING, INC.
461.2750 	  	PERFORMANCE COMMUNICATIONS LLC
461.6250 	  	HEATING & COOLING SERVICES INC
462.4500 	  	ROBERT BOSCH CORPORATION
462.5000 	  	PERFORMANCE COMMUNICATIONS LLC
463.7000 	  	PERFORMANCE COMMUNICATIONS LLC
464.1875 	  	ERC PARTS, INC.
464.3750 	  	BASF CORPORATION
464.5500 	  	RENOIRE, ELAINE
464.7750 	  	Broadway Technologies LLC
465.9375 	  	blue Ridge Security Systems, Inc.
466.6250 	  	GLEN RAVEN MILLS INC
466.7375 	  	PERFORMANCE COMMUNICATIONS LLC
467.2750 	  	Morris Wireless
467.3250 	  	PERFORMANCE COMMUNICATIONS LLC
467.4500 	  	FRIGIDAIRE HOME PRODUCTS
467.8250 	  	ANDERSON SPORTS & RECREATION COMPLEX
467.8875 	  	FRIGIDAIRE HOME PRODUCTS
468.3625 	  	AnMed Health
468.5250 	  	PERFORMANCE COMMUNICATIONS LLC
468.6500 	  	CLARK-SCHWEBEL FIBERGLASS
469.2250 	  	MORRIS COMMUNICATIONS INC
469.5250 	  	PERFORMANCE COMMUNICATIONS LLC.
469.5500 	  	ISOM, WILLIAM E
469.8750 	  	ANDERSON COLLEGE INC
469.9625 	  	AnMed Health
854.7375 	  	ANDERSON, CITY OF
866.2125 	  	Anderson County
2462.0000 	  	ANDERSON COUNTY PUBLIC SAFETY
http://www.radioreference.com/ is a bit more comprehensive as far as general info and frequencies are concerned. This is their database for my county.
Click here for some streaming police scanning!

As always, I'm watching this thread to answer any more questions. If I (or anyone else) missed a topic, ask away!

Halah fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 28, 2007

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Nostratic posted:

Oh God, it sounds like a congregation of young, brainwashed girls saying the Rosary, over and over, FOR 20 MINUTES STRAIGHT so far.

I'm deeply disturbed, and yet I can't... change... the frequency... :cry:
Welcome to the brotherhood :) Reference this exact thought whenever some calls you a radio nerd.

Shastao
Jan 10, 2006
What would be the "Eton E5" of scanners, in terms of capability for affordability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sennheiser
Jan 27, 2007

by Lowtax

nmfree posted:

Nothing, that's all it was made for. You could modify it to do things like recieve 138 MHz weather fax signals, but that can get pretty complicated pretty fast.

Good luck finding only 10 frequencies to monitor; even in a smallish city like where I live I need at least 150 memories to listen to everything. Otherwise, you've already found the main weakness of older units: they don't tune in small enough steps.

You'll just have to get lucky, I guess. You'll be able to hear things that aren't exactly on frequency, but it will be scratchy at best.

Wow, so what you're saying is I basically just wasted $40? gently caress.

• Locked thread