Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"

Uncle Caveman posted:

The bracing should provide enough support, but the top is put under a lot of tension when the strings are tuned up. I wouldn't want to chance it, and I sure as hell wouldn't tell a customer to "see what happens."
I wonder about this, because willie nelson has been playing an old acoustic with cracks and a big hole in the top for several decades and it seems to work ok for him. Maybe it's been somewhat repaired, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
True, but Willie's beat-to-hell acoustic is a nylon-string, which is under a lot less tension. I wouldn't doubt it's had some under-the-hood reinforcement, either.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Also it's Willie Nelson's guitar and probably is enchanted with some kind of hippie magic to keep it in playing condition

Mountain Dew
Feb 22, 2001
The Hole Is The Law
This puppy should be arriving on friday. Its a custom 2x12 from earcandycabs.com. It's loaded with Eminence Swamp Thang speakers. I'm pretty loving excited.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zilong
Jun 14, 2007
;o;

Atomic Monkey posted:

I've never heard of Suhr pickups although im only educated in the big 3 (Dimarzio/Duncan/EMG) are they really nice pickups?

Suhr isn't a pickup winder, they're a really high end guitar company that makes what I refer to as uber-strats. The price they charge is quite high >_> http://suhrguitars.com/

However, I do know that their pickups are widely considered to be pretty drat good. I was considering some other companies like Bare Knuckle, Anderson, or small handwinders, but I found a used Suhr pickup which I'll buy on Friday. =D

There's nothing wrong with the big 3, I just want to try some new pickups. I've already tried a lot of pickups by the big 3, and while I like Dimarzio, I want to see if handwound pickups are really all that.

zilong fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 26, 2007

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

I got this a couple of weeks ago, and it's pretty awesome.

I'm probably going to buy this since I need more amp power.

Has anyone tried it?

Aeon_
Jan 6, 2002

See you, space cowboy.
I ordered this body from USA Custom Guitars. It's an alder Jazzmaster style body with rear routing, and also it's been routed to fit a telecaster bridge pickup and bridge instead of the norm. As you can see from the pictures, I've already started applying the finish (which will be a clear coat), although it has quite a few more coats to go on. I won't be completely done with it until around Christmas.

Crusty_mabiba
Mar 25, 2001

cool as lava.
New snare day! New snare Day!

Got this new for a cool $250. It's a Pearl sensitone brass. Sounds like a dream. Great pop with a wonderful deep crisp overtone. I've never played a snare that sounded so kick rear end for less than 300. I love this thing.

(also yes I'm one of those drummers who collects snares like they're stamps. I have 5 now. Just sold one. I can't help it)

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha

Aeon posted:

I ordered this body from USA Custom Guitars. It's an alder Jazzmaster style body with rear routing, and also it's been routed to fit a telecaster bridge pickup and bridge instead of the norm. As you can see from the pictures, I've already started applying the finish (which will be a clear coat), although it has quite a few more coats to go on. I won't be completely done with it until around Christmas.

That's hot.

Once again, my distortion pedal doesn't look like it's coming. I guess GoingToday doesn't like Canadians.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

Sounds amazing. Found it for $45 and I think it might have saved me at least $200 on other pedals I no longer need.

Hog Cabal
Jul 10, 2006

omg!!!!!!!111

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

Sounds amazing. Found it for $45 and I think it might have saved me at least $200 on other pedals I no longer need.

The Ol' Dirty Bastard is the hotness for bass overdrive. I use that and a Big Muff, and it covers pretty much whatever distortion/overdrive tone I need.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Crusty_mabiba posted:

New snare day! New snare Day!

Got this new for a cool $250. It's a Pearl sensitone brass. Sounds like a dream. Great pop with a wonderful deep crisp overtone. I've never played a snare that sounded so kick rear end for less than 300. I love this thing.

(also yes I'm one of those drummers who collects snares like they're stamps. I have 5 now. Just sold one. I can't help it)
As someone who got to do a few sessions with one of those rented from S.I.R. I can say i'm an absolute fan of that there snare. I actually need to track down one of those for myself! Good find, sir! (the bronze one is pretty swank as well)

prsguitaruser
Mar 22, 2003

Sweet deal. A lot of people over on Talkbass don't seem to like it, but I get a lot of use out of mine. If the guitarist's distortion is on, my ODB3 is on

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

supersteve posted:

Nice setup. Looks like only room for improvement would be the clacker (used to have one of those really old keyboards, too).

Are you crazy? Thats an IBM Model M. Only the best keyboard in the world. The sound and feel is second to none and he probably bought that on ebay on purpose.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Concatenation posted:

Cool, I've always wanted to learn the Oud, is it much of a shift from guitar?

Yes and no. No frets like a violin, generally 11 strings set up like a 12 string guitar is set up. It's not dissimilar to a guitar and the tunings go all over the place so it could be put in a form of standard tuning.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Just got it off Ebay this afternoon. I've been after one of these for quite a while, but they were never quite what I wanted. They used a couple different bridges, and I preferred the stop tailpiece/tune-o-matic style bridge to the Stratocaster-style some of them have.

Then I found this one last night online.

19" scale, I may restring it like an octave mandolin, or keep it tuned to guitar standard. Either way, now all I need is a huge amp in an eccentric inventor's laboratory and I'm set.

Crusty_mabiba
Mar 25, 2001

cool as lava.

Duke Chin posted:

As someone who got to do a few sessions with one of those rented from S.I.R. I can say i'm an absolute fan of that there snare. I actually need to track down one of those for myself! Good find, sir! (the bronze one is pretty swank as well)

Yeah it was definitely a pain to get hold of. Only a few places around me had it. But very much worth the effort to find one for a decent price.

Also, just my opinion, but if you do find some, and want to get one, go with either the bronze or brass ones. The steel ones, although 100 bucks cheaper, very much SOUND 100 dollars cheaper. They have a buzzy overtone that sounds like junk.

And yeah, the bronze one does sound awesome too if you want that. I'd definitely recommend them.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

prsguitaruser posted:

Sweet deal. A lot of people over on Talkbass don't seem to like it, but I get a lot of use out of mine. If the guitarist's distortion is on, my ODB3 is on

While I love talkbass, the folks in their effects forum are kinda elitest pricks. I would rather have "Sound Great and built like a tank" rather than "Sounds :gizz: and fragile like a egg"

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Crusty_mabiba posted:

Yeah it was definitely a pain to get hold of. Only a few places around me had it. But very much worth the effort to find one for a decent price.

Also, just my opinion, but if you do find some, and want to get one, go with either the bronze or brass ones. The steel ones, although 100 bucks cheaper, very much SOUND 100 dollars cheaper. They have a buzzy overtone that sounds like junk.

And yeah, the bronze one does sound awesome too if you want that. I'd definitely recommend them.
Oh it's bronze or brass or nothing. the steel ones are crap. And I was initially off - this was the one I got from S.I.R.. It's like a close cousin to yours:

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

While I love talkbass, the folks in their effects forum are kinda elitest pricks. I would rather have "Sound Great and built like a tank" rather than "Sounds :gizz: and fragile like a egg"

I use to moderate that forum thank you very much <:mad:>

I kid. It's true.

The Picnic Scene
Jul 28, 2007

by Ozma
[img]http://img.waffleimages.com/c43086528d5b16a3c0f1e52361e5942407780ba8/415616[1].jpg[/img]

Semi-hollow body telecaster.

They sound pretty, and I want one real bad.

I also really want a banjo.

:banjo:

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

The Picnic Scene posted:

I also really want a banjo.

:banjo:

As fate would have it, I'm looking to sell my current banjo. It's a beginner level instrument but it definitely plays well and I've kept it in great condition. PM me if you're serious.

PoorPeteBest fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 29, 2007

prsguitaruser
Mar 22, 2003

I agree completely. As much as I'd like to be able to buy six different boutique OD pedals costing $200+ a piece, I don't wanna ruin one of them in some seedy bar on a gig (ie, some fucker spills beer on it). I still enjoy reading TB's forums, though.

sizemon
Jun 16, 2003

Where would we be without vasoline?
Well it seems that now I'm going to be a bassist instead of a guitarist, so I picked up this little number yesterday. Now I have a Squire strat for sale :P

Ibanez SR885, used, but in awesome condition

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

sizemon posted:

Well it seems that now I'm going to be a bassist instead of a guitarist, so I picked up this little number yesterday. Now I have a Squire strat for sale :P

Ibanez SR885, used, but in awesome condition

Squier Standard series?

soiree of love
Jul 6, 2002

by R. Guyovich
just got the DSL and 900 cab
traded my old jmp, which was great but got some cash too :cool:
with the rack crap I can get any sound I need (photo missing a lexicon mpx1 :()
mixing the fender and dsl cleans is quite an aural experience :ironicat:

Hamer777
Jan 23, 2006

Picnic ov Love posted:

just got the DSL and 900 cab

Did you rip off the marshall logo or buy it like that? why do people do this anyway?

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden
getting bigger

soiree of love
Jul 6, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Hamer777 posted:

Did you rip off the marshall logo or buy it like that? why do people do this anyway?

I just think it looks cooler that way.
The Marshall logo is goddamn gigantic.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

HumanSpeedBump posted:

getting bigger

jesus christ dude, how do you even control this one it's finished?

dephconn
Oct 10, 2003

Picnic ov Love posted:

I think it looks wayyyy better sans the logo

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

Engine Fortegue posted:

jesus christ dude, how do you even control this one it's finished?

Enslaved machine elves. Their back-breaking labor keeps the waveforms flowing and the souls of their dead are forever locked into powering the Sample & Hold module.

Bartillier
Jul 26, 2007

by Lowtax

this will be my fifth guitar amp :) And i think also the final one :)

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

Bartillier posted:

You will not be disappointed.

Hamer777
Jan 23, 2006
Gibson Double Cut Plus see through black. more on this after the break.

Atomic Monkey
Jul 27, 2006

HIS AVATAR IS BEN AFFLECK BUT HIS NAME IS ATOMIC MONK.. OH WAIT, I GET IT

Picnic ov Love posted:

oh sup we both have gibson lp studios :hfive:

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Bartillier posted:

I bought one of these as a general purpose amp - electric guitar, electric mandolin, sometimes amplified acoustic mandolin - and it handles the wide range of tines well. Not to mention that it's got that chunky sound that I really needed to get a good sound for the electric mando.

I think mine is somewhere back in the first few pages of the thread.

You'll enjoy it.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
I've been really lazy with my harmonica learning so I've enrolled in the magnificent7 school of harmonica playing

Bartillier
Jul 26, 2007

by Lowtax

Walter posted:

You'll enjoy it.

yes im sure of that, i've been planing to get one for a couple of years now :D i think it will do me good, especialy because i play in a surf rock band

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o

dephconn posted:

I think it looks wayyyy better sans the logo

Marshall isn't so bad since the logo is so iconic but I agree that it does look nice without them. Fender's is nice and non-intrusive and there's nothing else to really say about them. Peavey has got to be the worst offender, though. I tore the logo off my Classic 30 immediately it clashed so much, not to mention it's ugly as hell.

pol, did you remove that pickup cover yourself or is it just a replacement pickup? If it was you would you mind giving me any tips? I've heard of using pliers but that doesn't seem like too great of an idea especially if I end up wanting to put the cover back on.