Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.

glint posted:

Many Thanks again to Lexical Unit and Bodhi Tea, now I can delete the 3gb of crap i installed/half compiled trying to make this work.

/edit, getting an error, this is running on windows 2000 server. I cd to the dir I want to run it from, I've copied the boost exe and dlls there, run: D:\Users\Students\Work\2002>exdir -r --path-length 255 >d:\long.txt
the it errors out with:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::filesystem::basic_filesys
tem_error<boost::filesystem::basic_path<std::string, boost::filesystem::path_tra
its> >'
what(): boost::filesystem::exists

abnormal program termination

Hmmm...I'm not sure if it's something that I did while compiling that's throwing that error message, or its something with the software itself... I'll admit, it's the first time I've ever compiled a Boost program, so it could be something on my end. I'll try to take a look.

edit:

Alright, I've recompiled it with Visual Studio without any problems, and no dll's this time. If this doesn't work for you, then it's probably something to do with the code:

http://senduit.com/8319c6

Bodhi Tea fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 27, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glint
Nov 15, 2004

Dear god, The patient's best intentions have sadly faltered.
it appears to work great on my xp pro sp2 with small test but failing on the server

D:\Users\Students\Work\2002>exdir -r --path-length 254 >Listy.txt

gives error, almost instantly:

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

this directory I'm doing is about 1.5gb of data but probably 60,000 files with some hideously deep paths.

/edit
running "exdir -r --path-length 20 >Listy.txt" works for a while before the error whereas "exdir -r --path-length 205 >Listy.txt" fails almost instantly.

/edit2
tried from a 2003 server to run the same against a mapped drive of the oflder on the 2000 box I want to do and the share itself, still same failure.

glint fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 27, 2007

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

Well I did notice and fix a small error that happens if you use the -d option with --path-length, but that doesn't appear to be your problem. Is there no other output at all; like does it begin to work and then dies after printing out a few lines, or does it just die right away before doing anything at all?

It seems like it's complaining that a file doesn't exist and I'm trying to do something with a file that doesn't exist. That's no good. Hard to diagnose without access to your specific environment because as far as I can tell that kind of problem shouldn't occur.

In any case, Exdir's source is annoying and long and complicated and so I wrote a specific to your needs version that only does the path length check. It has less dependancy issues and should be lots easier to use as well as debug if any issues like the one you have with Exdir should arise. http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/PathLenCheck

Bodhi Tea will you be my compiler? :swoon:

glint
Nov 15, 2004

If I specifiy a small depth like 20 it does start dumping output which looks correct but none deeper than 200 I noticed, I wonder if it just craps out when it hits the deep paths.

If another kind soul can compile in the second method without the dll for your new source that would be great, cheers for your efforts so far.

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

Hrm, according to this crazy person, Windows goes a little loopy when path lengths get very long. Maybe I need to specifically account for this rather than relying on Boost to do the work for me behind the scenes.

Wait a moment while I update PathLenCheck to try and work around this limitation... edit: changes made

Lexical Unit fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 27, 2007

glint
Nov 15, 2004

I know explorer has limitation of 255 chrs but ntfs is near as damnit to ifinite. This situation is made because already deep path on server is mapped to user as mydocs then they save default filename in word and having no punctuation some of these docs are stupid length.

I'm actually trying to move a few hundred users to another server but the tools I have to do it fail on long paths so I was going to batch rename them if I could get a list of the problem files in first place.

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

Lexical Unit posted:

Bodhi Tea will you be my compiler? :swoon:

I'll try :)

Here's pathlencheck with VS built exe:

http://senduit.com/65ab3d

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

glint posted:

I know explorer has limitation of 255 chrs but ntfs is near as damnit to ifinite. This situation is made because already deep path on server is mapped to user as mydocs then they save default filename in word and having no punctuation some of these docs are stupid length.

For compatibility reasons, any Win32 API that takes a file/path name is limited to MAX_PATH characters in length (255). Most APIs though support a way of extending the limit to 32,767 characters, by prefixing the filename with "\\?\" (without the quotes, natch).

Explorer doesn't support this. Nor does any of the .NET System.IO file classes.

hypnagogue
Sep 11, 2001

Metaphysical Function
I'm in need of a tool, similar to what Adobe uses for their software downloads. I need to create a download manager that users can use to get my content. It needs to be a small file that downloads the file for them and resumes it if they get disconnected. I know this software exists but I can't find anything like it except https://www.getrighttogo.com . Sadly, this is a bit more than I can afford and am hoping there exists a free alternative.

Our target audience is old people with dialup and having them download our content with this simple download manager will increase purchases and decrease customer support. Having them go to an FTP directory or load an FTP client is impossible, these users are computer illiterate.

The application would just point to our local file and download it. If they get disconnected they could resume it when they reconnect. If you need more information from me, I can get it.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1185617354

Im looking for a windows application that will record the sound from open applications that I specify and output each app as a seperate .wav file. Also the ability to specify one track as the track that I have specified as my recording input. So for example I have open the following:

-Winamp playing a song
-A soundboard program
I would want to output those as winamp.wav, soundboard.wav and Skype.wav respectively. As well as my system input line as mic.wav

If this is not easy I understand, I have yet to find a program that does this. It would really be usefull to me.

Rat Supremacy
Jul 15, 2007

The custom title is an image and/or line of text that appears below your name in the forums

Felony posted:

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1185617354

Im looking for a windows application that will record the sound from open applications that I specify and output each app as a seperate .wav file. Also the ability to specify one track as the track that I have specified as my recording input. So for example I have open the following:

-Winamp playing a song
-A soundboard program
I would want to output those as winamp.wav, soundboard.wav and Skype.wav respectively. As well as my system input line as mic.wav

If this is not easy I understand, I have yet to find a program that does this. It would really be usefull to me.

Do you use vista? I wouldnt thought this possible on XP without somehow hooking into your sound device or something.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Sorry XP Professional

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
EDIT: Never mind, found a solution.

Not sure how to remove the request. http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1185621441

modeski fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 28, 2007

glint
Nov 15, 2004

Bodhi Tea posted:

I'll try :)
Here's pathlencheck with VS built exe:
http://senduit.com/65ab3d
still fail but now with a dialogue box

quote:

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program: C:\WINDOWS\system32\PathlenCheck.exe
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
OK

biznatchio posted:

For compatibility reasons, any Win32 API that takes a file/path name is limited to MAX_PATH characters in length (255). Most APIs though support a way of extending the limit to 32,767 characters, by prefixing the filename with "\\?\" (without the quotes, natch).

Explorer doesn't support this. Nor does any of the .NET System.IO file classes.
this sounds just like the problem, the app is only crashing when it comes across deep paths, I found this library which says it handles deep paths, just need to work out how to make an app with it now :doh:

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002
Don't worry, I had ten bucks.
I actually had a question in the XP beautification thread about something I saw a coworker use:

Fastbreak posted:

I remember someone had some sort of setup that all the desktop icons would be hidden until he hit alt 3 times. His icons would come up and if he didn't move the mouse or interact with the icons, they would automatically hide again in like 5 seconds. I have searched, can't find it, but I am dying to try it out. Unfortunately the guy is a douch so I cannot give him the satisfaction of asking him what it is.

Since I got annoyed not being able to find the application, I just wrote my own. .Net 2.0 required.

NoPeeking 0.1

Have the option to hide/show your desktop icons, task bar, minimize active windows, or any combination of those listed with a key stroke that you can set. Hope someone else likes it as much as me. :)

Edit: To answer alot of questions, yes it is like a "boss key."

Fastbreak fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 30, 2007

Cagado Anarquista
Feb 17, 2007
escravo do lastcaress

AUNT FROM HELL posted:

I have no idea if this would be hard or not, but it would be awesome if someone did it :)

What I would like is a checkbox-list program, working much like those to-do applications. Basically it's a list with a checkbox next to each item.
The software would be able to make multiple lists. When you open the program it presents you with links/buttons leading to the various lists (a list of the lists).
However, why I'm really requesting this here is that I want to be able to add lists/items the following ways:
- Turns every line in a .txt (or a text that you just paste into the program) into an item.
- Scans every file in a folder (and subfolders) and adds all files as items.

It would be cool if the text of the checked items was greyed out or overlined or in any other way clearly marked as done :)

Something that would be cool too would be if you could categorize the items into various colors, much like the bookmark system on SA, however I'd rather you prioritize the other features as this isn't as important.

Thanks!

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1185202226

(By the way, great thread! Some of these apps are amazing. Thanks for all the hard work being done!)

I guess I'll be doing this. Already got a paper sketched with the skeleton of the implementation :)

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

glint posted:

still fail but now with a dialogue box
Wow that sucks. Actually I'm a bit surprised the application is terminating rather than throwing an exception (which should be then caught and handled.) Oh well. I made one more change just now that attempts to use the "\\?\" prefix, maybe that will work. If not, I guess I'm out of my league trying to work with NTFS. :smith:

InsanityPrawnBoy
Jan 19, 2006

theres a dog trapped inside your guitar
This may be too complex for a tiny app but here goes:

A small, borderless widget that shows some/all of the following (preferably configurable):
- Hard drives connected and %/GB free space,
- Network usage (I don't know, maybe kb/s or something),
- RAM usage,
- Processor load.

It would be nice to have some transparency too, but whatever.
All this inspired by a yahoo widget that I forget the name of.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can code some/all of this.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1185822964

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS

InsanityPrawnBoy posted:

This may be too complex for a tiny app but here goes:

A small, borderless widget that shows some/all of the following (preferably configurable):
- Hard drives connected and %/GB free space,
- Network usage (I don't know, maybe kb/s or something),
- RAM usage,
- Processor load.

It would be nice to have some transparency too, but whatever.
All this inspired by a yahoo widget that I forget the name of.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can code some/all of this.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1185822964

Why don't you just use samurize?

InsanityPrawnBoy
Jan 19, 2006

theres a dog trapped inside your guitar

heeen posted:

Why don't you just use samurize?

Wow, that's really excellent, the range of options is a bit overwhelming.

Thanks a lot.

If anyone still wants to test their skills and make this, please feel free.

jimmsta
Oct 24, 2004

Shedding bell-end tears in the pocket of her resistance.
Grimey Drawer
I've nixed my previous request. I'm really in need of a small tool that is automated, to some degree, which would be able to take a zip file, decompress it to a temporary folder, then create a 7zip sfx config file I.E.:
code:
;!@Install@!UTF-8!
Title="Software 5.00"
BeginPrompt="Do you want to install the Software 5.00?"
RunProgram="7zr.exe"
;!@InstallEnd@!
with the name of the unzipped EXE file in place of the RunProgram variable. (Title and Description aren't important, but if those properties can be pulled from the decompressed executable, then that'd be great). Then re-packs the temporary uncompressed files into a 7zip SFX file (available here: http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/sevenzip/7z451_extra.tar.bz2), and does a Block-copy operation of the 7za.sfx + config.cfg + archivename.7z files into a new exe file (see the documentation in the file linked above, in the "Installer" sub-directory).

I realize that the majority of this can probably be scripted, but I haven't the faintest idea of where to start. I suppose that it's probably more complex than I initially figured... I do need some sort of solution like this, which does not need human interaction, as I'm busy bashing my head into my keyboard.

Super Delegate
Jan 20, 2005

ƃɐlɟ ǝɥʇ
I figured it out myself!

Super Delegate fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 1, 2007

glint
Nov 15, 2004

Lexical Unit posted:

Wow that sucks. Actually I'm a bit surprised the application is terminating rather than throwing an exception (which should be then caught and handled.) Oh well. I made one more change just now that attempts to use the "\\?\" prefix, maybe that will work. If not, I guess I'm out of my league trying to work with NTFS. :smith:
thanks for the effort, with the first pathlen.exe I did get a few lines into my text file before it crapped out with that error, hopefully Bodhi Tea can compile it again to try.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

jimmsta posted:

I've nixed my previous request. I'm really in need of a small tool that is automated, to some degree, which would be able to take a zip file, decompress it to a temporary folder, then create a 7zip sfx config file I.E.:
code:
;!@Install@!UTF-8!
Title="Software 5.00"
BeginPrompt="Do you want to install the Software 5.00?"
RunProgram="7zr.exe"
;!@InstallEnd@!
with the name of the unzipped EXE file in place of the RunProgram variable. (Title and Description aren't important, but if those properties can be pulled from the decompressed executable, then that'd be great). Then re-packs the temporary uncompressed files into a 7zip SFX file (available here: http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/sevenzip/7z451_extra.tar.bz2), and does a Block-copy operation of the 7za.sfx + config.cfg + archivename.7z files into a new exe file (see the documentation in the file linked above, in the "Installer" sub-directory).

I realize that the majority of this can probably be scripted, but I haven't the faintest idea of where to start. I suppose that it's probably more complex than I initially figured... I do need some sort of solution like this, which does not need human interaction, as I'm busy bashing my head into my keyboard.

Do you have a request page on the wiki? I started working on this in java last night but I've never written a GUI before so it's a tad slow going. Hopefully, I'll figure it out tonight because automating the task of unzipping, writing the file you want, and repacking it all is really easy I just need to figure out how to use layouts in swing so I can make the GUI :P.

The way I understood your requirements it seems like you want to be able to choose a bunch of zip files and set them up for batch processing with this program. Is that correct?

dough_boy
Jan 15, 2007
I need an app that I can specify a folder and it will create a .txt with the folder structure and list all the files inside of it and so the same for folders within that folder.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

dough_boy posted:

I need an app that I can specify a folder and it will create a .txt with the folder structure and list all the files inside of it and so the same for folders within that folder.

Well if no one has filled this request out, I'll get it as soon as I have some free time. I actually have just been working on a personal project to create a small, low-memory version of Launchy, so a bit of copying and pasting from that project should be easy.

dough_boy, you would like the program to create the output .txt file in the root folder being searched?

dough_boy
Jan 15, 2007
ya that would be great thanks

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
Can't you just use tree for that?

At a command prompt:
code:
tree /f /a c:\whatever > c:\whatever\output.txt
The formatting isn't customisable, but it might be what you're after.

jimmsta
Oct 24, 2004

Shedding bell-end tears in the pocket of her resistance.
Grimey Drawer

Dren posted:

Do you have a request page on the wiki? I started working on this in java last night but I've never written a GUI before so it's a tad slow going. Hopefully, I'll figure it out tonight because automating the task of unzipping, writing the file you want, and repacking it all is really easy I just need to figure out how to use layouts in swing so I can make the GUI :P.

The way I understood your requirements it seems like you want to be able to choose a bunch of zip files and set them up for batch processing with this program. Is that correct?

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1184215150

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a console app, not necessarily a GUI-based app.

Cagado Anarquista
Feb 17, 2007
escravo do lastcaress

AUNT FROM HELL posted:

I have no idea if this would be hard or not, but it would be awesome if someone did it :)

What I would like is a checkbox-list program, working much like those to-do applications. Basically it's a list with a checkbox next to each item.
The software would be able to make multiple lists. When you open the program it presents you with links/buttons leading to the various lists (a list of the lists).
However, why I'm really requesting this here is that I want to be able to add lists/items the following ways:
- Turns every line in a .txt (or a text that you just paste into the program) into an item.
- Scans every file in a folder (and subfolders) and adds all files as items.

It would be cool if the text of the checked items was greyed out or overlined or in any other way clearly marked as done :)

Something that would be cool too would be if you could categorize the items into various colors, much like the bookmark system on SA, however I'd rather you prioritize the other features as this isn't as important.

Thanks!

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1185202226

(By the way, great thread! Some of these apps are amazing. Thanks for all the hard work being done!)

It's kind of done! http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/ToDo_From_Hell

Please test it and tell me about it. :)

Oh, and could someone please notify AUNT FROM HELL in case s/he's not checking this.

thanks

Cagado Anarquista fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 1, 2007

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Microphone input Guitar Tuner
Forum upgrade to anyone who fills these requirements:

This is an application that takes input from a soundcard's input or microphone jack and compares it to a set of known frequencies, telling you if a tone is flat or sharp compared to its nearest neighbor in the set list.

Tones it would be able to discriminate (in order of importance)

1)A-440hz
2)D,G,B,E on multiple octaves- standard guitar tuning
3)C,F,Eb,Bb on multiple octaves- used for alternate tunings
4)Other half steps

This program would be used to quickly tune a guitar while recording music, and as such would have to visually indicate which note was being tuned to, and if the note played is flat or sharp compared to the nearest neighbor note.

Hopefully someone here likes their Fourier transformations. These programs do exist elsewhere, but in a pay only format with a *lot* of extra bulk and nonsense that isn't needed for such a simple program.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1185928923

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 1, 2007

dough_boy
Jan 15, 2007

Wazzerphuk posted:

Can't you just use tree for that?

At a command prompt:
code:
tree /f /a c:\whatever > c:\whatever\output.txt
The formatting isn't customisable, but it might be what you're after.

that works but it doesn't give me the file names just the folders

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

glint posted:

thanks for the effort, with the first pathlen.exe I did get a few lines into my text file before it crapped out with that error, hopefully Bodhi Tea can compile it again to try.

Here it is:

http://senduit.com/8fb9d4

Main Twark
May 19, 2005

Cagado Anarquista posted:

It's kind of done! http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/ToDo_From_Hell

Please test it and tell me about it. :)

Oh, and could someone please notify AUNT FROM HELL in case s/he's not checking this.

thanks

Hey, awesome! It works great, however when loading kinda big lists, it would be great to get a scrolling wheel or some other kind of navigating (next page, anything) so that it would be possible to operate on lists longer than your screen :)

But other than that I think it's great, and I really appriciate it. Thanks!

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March

dough_boy posted:

that works but it doesn't give me the file names just the folders

Really? The /f switch should add files to the output - it certainly does for me.

Cagado Anarquista
Feb 17, 2007
escravo do lastcaress

AUNT FROM HELL posted:

Hey, awesome! It works great, however when loading kinda big lists, it would be great to get a scrolling wheel or some other kind of navigating (next page, anything) so that it would be possible to operate on lists longer than your screen :)

But other than that I think it's great, and I really appriciate it. Thanks!

Right, didn't even remember that.

edit:

Added the scrollbars, same download link.

Cagado Anarquista fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 1, 2007

glint
Nov 15, 2004

Lexical Unit posted:

Bhodi Tea compiled it again for me, now if i run

pathlencheck 254 >d:\list.txt

my list.txt contains (I've broken the line so it doens't mess up the forum):

list.txt posted:

258: D:\RMUsers\Students\Work\2002\GEORGE Christopher\My Settings\Applicat
ion Data\Macromedia\Flash Flayer\#SharedObjects\TP678Z4H\208.122.9.87\secure\
5179d23716f0a4737084afdd5c3ba6e9da345sg732281kss97jl398b346b13936efcb5d7f4a8
570a5b850a9.png\FlashGamesStudio.sol

and this is outputted into the cmd window

quote:

File warning: if ur mumwas ur dad u wud b upset cas he is werid lyk ur mum cas s
he eats al da pies lyk ur sis cas she is a dike cas ur mum sed she was so dats t
he end of that !!!!.LNK boost::filesystem::exists
Ignoring and continuing...
File warning: Celtic football club fired themselves into the last sixteen of the
champions league for the first time in the long history with a superb victory o
ver two time winners Manchester united because of this there have drawn one of t
he biggest teams in t.doc boost::filesystem::exists
File warning: Celtic football club fired themselves into the last sixteen of the
champions league for the first time in the long history with a superb victory o
ver two time winners Manchester united because of th.LNK boost::filesystem::exis
ts

<snip more of the same</snip
I've a feeling the filesystem already exists is because it's only looking at the first x chars in the path.

rather than reporting path depths could you try just file name lengths?

/edit
I've found a perl script to do exactly what I need :thumbsup:

glint fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 1, 2007

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I'd like a program that removes all the parts of a WAV file that are below a given volume and stitches it back together again.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1185975080

Maggot Man posted:

Microphone input Guitar Tuner
As a temporary solution you should try GTune http://www.gvst.co.uk/gtune.htm

Dicky B fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 1, 2007

Main Twark
May 19, 2005

Cagado Anarquista posted:

Right, didn't even remember that.

edit:

Added the scrollbars, same download link.

Excellent, this will save me from a lot of trouble. Thanks alot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

glint posted:

I've found a perl script to do exactly what I need :thumbsup:
Awesome. Don't know what was going on there on that last attempt though, pretty crazy. This is the last time I try and work with anything Windows, it's only ever caused me misery and confusion. :(

• Locked thread