Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacepirate
Feb 7, 2005
Yarr mateys!

Fantastipotamus posted:

Thoughts on 'Draggin' Jeans' (https://www.dragginjeans.com), apart from the fact the name is frickin retarded?

I'm really looking for a pair of riding pants that satisfy the following two requirements (if this product actually exists)

1) moderately cool or at least with venting
2) doesn't look like I just got done sledding

I own a pair and they are slightly warmer than just wearing jeans. They are also pretty comfortable except for a tight crotch/rear end to keep that kevlar in place. They look normal, people couldnt believe that they were kevlar lined.

I offered to take them off for people but they insist that they believe me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

spacepirate posted:

I own a pair and they are slightly warmer than just wearing jeans. They are also pretty comfortable except for a tight crotch/rear end to keep that kevlar in place. They look normal, people couldnt believe that they were kevlar lined.

I offered to take them off for people but they insist that they believe me.
Tight crotch, eh? Well, my cock is huge, so I suppose I should stick to something else.

Why don't they make riding pants with vents? I would think a vent on the inside of the knee which has an exit by the rear end would be great leg ventilation without sacrificing the safety integrity too much.

I dunno, maybe I'll give those a whirl. At least they don't look ridiculous like some of the pants out there. I just don't want to look like I just got off the MotoGP circuit.

spacepirate
Feb 7, 2005
Yarr mateys!

Fantastipotamus posted:

Tight crotch, eh? Well, my cock is huge, so I suppose I should stick to something else.

Why don't they make riding pants with vents? I would think a vent on the inside of the knee which has an exit by the rear end would be great leg ventilation without sacrificing the safety integrity too much.

I dunno, maybe I'll give those a whirl. At least they don't look ridiculous like some of the pants out there. I just don't want to look like I just got off the MotoGP circuit.

What a coincidence, my cock is huge too! Go for it, they really arent bad at all and they really cut down on how much gear you have to lug around.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Sedge posted:

Also, does anyone know what full faced helmets would be most accommodating to a pair of glasses? There are days when I don't feel like putting in contacts.

I wear my glasses everyday, and my lid fits fine. I take my glasses off, put the helmet on, flip up the visor, and affix glasses to face. It works everytime, and only rarely do I have to fix either after I get on the road.

Sedge
Dec 24, 2003
Swordsman, or small hedge?

teknicolor posted:

I wear my glasses everyday, and my lid fits fine. I take my glasses off, put the helmet on, flip up the visor, and affix glasses to face. It works everytime, and only rarely do I have to fix either after I get on the road.

What helmet are you rocking? I tried on a friends Scorpion ex-400, and it was pretty tight, but maybe it was just a small helmet for my head. Another larger helmet I tried (don't remember what model) seemed even worse. Sunglasses would fit fine in either one, because they're curved, but we're talking right angles with my prescribed glasses. Maybe I'll get prescription sunglasses.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Sedge posted:

Also, does anyone know what full faced helmets would be most accommodating to a pair of glasses? There are days when I don't feel like putting in contacts.

Arai's helmets have grooves in the padding to allow for large sunglasses, I can wear a pair of Oakley XXs under it. With thin wire eye glasses most helmets should work.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

My Z1R full-face helmet fits glasses quite well. The only time it doesn't fit them as well is when my little velcro headphones are affixed to the inside of the helmet.

Beyond that, I've got several pairs of glasses, two with earpieces that fit tight to my head, and two that bow out a bit, and they all fit a-okay.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Sedge posted:

What helmet are you rocking? I tried on a friends Scorpion ex-400, and it was pretty tight, but maybe it was just a small helmet for my head. Another larger helmet I tried (don't remember what model) seemed even worse. Sunglasses would fit fine in either one, because they're curved, but we're talking right angles with my prescribed glasses. Maybe I'll get prescription sunglasses.

I use an HJC CL-14 (because I have an HJC-shaped head :)). It's noisy, but very comfortable.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Fantastipotamus posted:

Thoughts on 'Draggin' Jeans' (https://www.dragginjeans.com), apart from the fact the name is frickin retarded?

I'm really looking for a pair of riding pants that satisfy the following two requirements (if this product actually exists)

1) moderately cool or at least with venting
2) doesn't look like I just got done sledding
When I commute to work I typically either wear Draggin' Jeans for the day or I use some armored Triumph Cordura pants that I change out of. The Draggin' Jeans are warm anywhere the Kevlar covers, which includes the knees and butt. That said, they aren't that warm. They are certainly much cooler than the Cordura pants and they don't cause me to sweat too much.

I don't like the cut of the jeans, but your tastes may differ. I picked them up for about $100, I think.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

rope kid posted:

When I commute to work I typically either wear Draggin' Jeans for the day or I use some armored Triumph Cordura pants that I change out of. The Draggin' Jeans are warm anywhere the Kevlar covers, which includes the knees and butt. That said, they aren't that warm. They are certainly much cooler than the Cordura pants and they don't cause me to sweat too much.

I don't like the cut of the jeans, but your tastes may differ. I picked them up for about $100, I think.
Cool, thanks.. Do you have the regular cut jeans? It looks like they have a looser cut as well as a 'carpenter' cut with the utility pockets and such.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(
Probably a noob question but I got myself some of these gloves for riding, as I wanted something "waterproof" to go with the waterproof textiles (I'll be commuting on the bike in traditional English weather :rolleyes: ). They work fine, the knuckle vents help keep the temps down in hot weather, but they are starting to garner some rather unpleasant odours. Should I be getting a pair of lighter "summer" gloves and just put up with the odd shower (saving these for the winter / major storms), or is there something I can do to keep them odour free?

Sedge
Dec 24, 2003
Swordsman, or small hedge?
Thanks for the info fellas. Now to find a shop in philly to try on a shitload of gear.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Fantastipotamus posted:

Cool, thanks.. Do you have the regular cut jeans? It looks like they have a looser cut as well as a 'carpenter' cut with the utility pockets and such.

I find that the carpenter cut sits pretty high compared to most of my other jeans, they also seem to fade more than my other jeans with more washings. They do feel really well constructed though.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

NumptyScrub posted:

Probably a noob question but I got myself some of these gloves for riding, as I wanted something "waterproof" to go with the waterproof textiles (I'll be commuting on the bike in traditional English weather :rolleyes: ). They work fine, the knuckle vents help keep the temps down in hot weather, but they are starting to garner some rather unpleasant odours. Should I be getting a pair of lighter "summer" gloves and just put up with the odd shower (saving these for the winter / major storms), or is there something I can do to keep them odour free?

Personally I've never found a pair of gloves that are truly waterproof, some are water resistant longer than others but unless you use a goretex or goretex like material as a seperate outer layer I find in long rainstorms my hands get wet or cold.

REI sells some overmitts that are pretty nice and do a good job keeping heat in and your hands dry but they're regular mitts so no finger seperation. Makes working the brake with 2 fingers wierd. http://www.rei.com/product/725077?vcat=REI_SEARCH

Aerostich makes these: http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Aerostich-Triple-Digit-Rain-Cover-p-16447.html
Which I expect are awesome as they would world the same as the tourmaster Winter Elite glove (it has a little pocket that stores it's goretex outer shell in), but these can be too hot for summer rain riding.

I'd say use your summer weight gloves with a liner, but you can buy small packets of ceder chips and put them in a nylon stocking and tuck that into the gloves when you're not riding and that should kill most of the oder. Works well for boots too.

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 31, 2007

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

PlasticSun posted:

I find that the carpenter cut sits pretty high compared to most of my other jeans, they also seem to fade more than my other jeans with more washings. They do feel really well constructed though.
Excellent, I think I'll order up a pair. :)

Theres another 'Draggin' Jeans' company from Australia that has more styles of pants too, khakis, cargo, zip-off pants, several cuts of jeans, and some shirts and stuff, but they tend to be more expensive. $140 to $195, plus then shipping from Australia.

I think I'll grab the 'Draggin' Jeans' ones from the US. :patriot:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Fantastipotamus posted:

I have the regular fit. I don't like how the ankles taper in slightly, nor the slight looseness in the lower thigh. But like I said, not that big a deal.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

rope kid posted:

I have the regular fit. I don't like how the ankles taper in slightly, nor the slight looseness in the lower thigh. But like I said, not that big a deal.

Sounds like they're designed to fit IN the boots. Thanks. That helps quite a bit. I want to get some myself.

Edit: Anyone have any suggestions for boots? I'd like some that are passable off the bike, so no power ranger looking monstrosities, please. Over the ankle, black boots that I could wear in to work is what I'm after. Joe Rocket Orbit or Big Bang boots are the idea. How's Joe Rocket gear supposed to be?

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 31, 2007

tokin
Jul 8, 2005

Keeping it gangster for reals

Doing my first track day on the 13th of August. This is what I plan on wearing.. (minus the chatterbox)

Scorpion EXO-400 Helmet
AlpineStars something or other jacket (with zipper)
AlpineStars track leathers (zipped up to jacket)
Dianese Gloves
Sidi boots.

I cannot wait.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

Sounds like they're designed to fit IN the boots. Thanks. That helps quite a bit. I want to get some myself.

Edit: Anyone have any suggestions for boots? I'd like some that are passable off the bike, so no power ranger looking monstrosities, please. Over the ankle, black boots that I could wear in to work is what I'm after. Joe Rocket Orbit or Big Bang boots are the idea. How's Joe Rocket gear supposed to be?
This is a completely serious post.

Try Harley Davidson footwear. I bought these: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/15320252.html

They're quite comfy, albeit a little hot, but they're solid leather, and look more-or-less like regular work-type shoes if you're wearing pants that go over the tops. They're zip-up on the other side, so they feel a little loose (I wouldn't wear them hiking), but other than that, I like them.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

I really like my AlpineStars Recon boots.
http://newenough.com/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/alpinestars/black_label_recon_motorcycle_boots.html
Haven't worn them in the rain but they're supposed to be waterproof. They're pretty comfortable and I've even worn them to walk to the store (needed something with ankle support to walk to the pharmacy to get an ankle brace for my sprained ankle). They look fine under jeans.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have some Red Wing Shoes
http://www.redwingshoes.com/ProductResults.aspx?shoefinder=1&ProductType=Motorcycle&Gender=&Style=

I have the 979s. Very comfortable. They're not water proof, but you can probably step in puddles up to the top of the foot and be fine. I'm not a huge fan of the zippers (I wish they had bigger teeth), but otherwise like them very much.

They don't have ankle protection, however. You can most likely get something more protective for about the same price. If you are willing risk your ankles, take a look at them. Depending on where you live, you can most likely find a store to try them on at.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

Hein Gericke boots at newenough.com for $45, I've got a pair they're pretty comfortable on me for steeltoe boots, they don't look like clown shoes and the price is right.
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/boots/hein_gericke/engineer_motorcycle_boots.html

RC212V
Nov 17, 2006

by Eris Is Goddess

Doctor Zero posted:

I have a pair of Sidi boots that I've been wearing to work forever. They're extremely waterproof and also pretty comfortable for a motorcycle boot. The only time I've had discomfort in them is when I got stranded and had to walk about 7 miles to get to a phone (the one time I left my cell phone at home). I've stood in puddles about 6 inches deep for a few minutes in them and stayed bone dry.

http://newenough.com/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/sport_tepor_motorcycle_boots.html
Those are a newer version of the ones I have. They're normal looking enough that they could pass as casual dress shoes.

http://newenough.com/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/escape_motorcycle_boots.html
These are a little more casual but not waterproof.

My biggest advise is to stay away from Icon. I ordered a pair and they're absolute torture. A nice waste of $100.

RC212V
Nov 17, 2006

by Eris Is Goddess
Also, I got a Nelson Rigg tailbag recently, and I absolutely love it.

It was a lot bigger than I thought it'd be, even these pictures make it look a little small. It can fit a medium size pizza or a full face helmet. The side pockets expand to about twice their size shown here, and the bottom of the main section also unzips to make it about 6 inches taller (which is needed to fit a helmet). It sits on the bike pretty well and doesn't move around too much. It's only being held down by 4 bungee cords, two of which are wrapped together under the seat. This thing is infinitely useful and I'm very glad to not haul a backpack around all the time. The only real problem I have with it is that there's no easy way to lock the side pockets.

I also got a pitbull stand recently, which is very nice. However, I'm stupid and got plastic spools, not realizing that the right spool is located about 4 inches from the tip of my exhaust. It melted away pretty quick leaving me with a black glob.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Here's a second site with 'Draggin' Jeans', they have a few more styles than the US site. http://www.dragginjeans.com.au/

Jeans: Regular fit (look pretty tight) are $110 US
Jeans: Silverback (looser fit, distressed grey) are $195
Cargo pants: Regular fit (look like they've got a wider leg): $110
Zip-off cargos: $125
Khaki's: Navy/"Dark Stone"/Black: $110
Camo Cargo pants: $110

Shipping looks like $25 to my zipcode, might be more for the west coast.

Juneau
Dec 18, 2006
Please do me in the butt, big daddy!
I'm trying to decide between the following 3 jackets. I am currently just learning to ride, but I guess I am torn between future value or cheapness now. Here are my options:

Alpinestar's Stella Ice: I found one on ebay and made an offer. They counteroffered for $220 ($250 shipped). It's alpinestars so it will have resale value and should be quality. It's also light colored (it's the pink one) and it has venting/perforated leather (I'm in LA). However, it doesn't have a zipper attachment, and it's the most expensive jacket I'm debating.

Alpinestar's Stella TX-1: I found this one on ebay for $210 ($220 shipped). It's dark colored (it's the black one) and has less venting than the Ice. It does seem safer on a couple accounts--it is a racing jacket with a zipper attachment and it advertises its quality stitching.

Joe Rocket Roxie: This is pretty much the Joe Rocket cheap version of the TX-1. I guess I only mention it because it's cheaper.

I guess some of these may become moot points as two of them are awesome deals on ebay (both retail at $350). However, I'm sure similar deals will come along again, and I'm curious what most people would prefer for their first jacket. I should note that $250 is pretty much the upper limit on what I'm willing to spend on a jacket right now. Personally, I'm about equally torn between the Ice and TX-1, so those are the main contenders right now. I guess if I wake up tomorrow and one of them is gone, my decision will be made unless I hear a bunch of calls for the Joe Rocket.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Juneau posted:

Alpinestar's Stella Ice: I found one on ebay and made an offer. They counteroffered for $220 ($250 shipped).

I really don't have an opinion on the jackets you are looking at (other than the Joe Rocket styling looks better), since I just wear generic biker jackets right now. However, I would like to say "THIRTY loving DOLLARS FOR SHIPPING?" :wtc:

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

I really don't have an opinion on the jackets you are looking at (other than the Joe Rocket styling looks better), since I just wear generic biker jackets right now. However, I would like to say "THIRTY loving DOLLARS FOR SHIPPING?" :wtc:
It's the next big thing in Ebay pickpocketing. Yeah, congrats, you got a good deal on the 'item', but I'm going to charge you 4x the shipping cost. I think I sent two jackets back to NewEnough via regular mail (in a big ol' box) for $8 with delivery guarantee.

Juneau posted:

I'm trying to decide between the following 3 jackets. I am currently just learning to ride, but I guess I am torn between future value or cheapness now. Here are my options:

Alpinestar's Stella Ice: I found one on ebay and made an offer. They counteroffered for $220 ($250 shipped). It's alpinestars so it will have resale value and should be quality. It's also light colored (it's the pink one) and it has venting/perforated leather (I'm in LA). However, it doesn't have a zipper attachment, and it's the most expensive jacket I'm debating.

Alpinestar's Stella TX-1: I found this one on ebay for $210 ($220 shipped). It's dark colored (it's the black one) and has less venting than the Ice. It does seem safer on a couple accounts--it is a racing jacket with a zipper attachment and it advertises its quality stitching.

Joe Rocket Roxie: This is pretty much the Joe Rocket cheap version of the TX-1. I guess I only mention it because it's cheaper.

I guess some of these may become moot points as two of them are awesome deals on ebay (both retail at $350). However, I'm sure similar deals will come along again, and I'm curious what most people would prefer for their first jacket. I should note that $250 is pretty much the upper limit on what I'm willing to spend on a jacket right now. Personally, I'm about equally torn between the Ice and TX-1, so those are the main contenders right now. I guess if I wake up tomorrow and one of them is gone, my decision will be made unless I hear a bunch of calls for the Joe Rocket.
Have you tried any of these on? If not, I would highly, highly recommend it before buying. My girlfriend, who also has a slight frame, tried on several jackets before ending up with her Joe Rocket (this one, I think) because she didn't like the placement or the flexibility of the armor.

I would find a local shop and try them on, as you may hate the way the Alpinestars feel. I did a similar thing through NewEnough.com, ordered 3 jackets of different styles/sizes/colors, picked the one I liked, and returned the rest. Their return policy is stellar too, they even sent me an email to let me know they were crediting me back, no questions asked. :)

Fantastipotamus fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 2, 2007

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Fantastipotamus posted:

I think I sent two jackets back to NewEnough via regular mail (in a big ol' box) for $8 with delivery guarantee.

I spent $17 sending my jacket to Joe Rocket for repair (still not back, BTW...2.5 weeks after I sent it). That was with me buying a box from FedEx 'cause I didn't have anything laying around.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Uthor posted:

I spent $17 sending my jacket to Joe Rocket for repair (still not back, BTW...2.5 weeks after I sent it). That was with me buying a box from FedEx 'cause I didn't have anything laying around.
Sheesh.. Yeah, mine was the box it came in, and via regular mail, no sort of expedited delivery or anything.

As a testament to NewEnough.com too, I definitely kept the jackets for like 3 weeks, and they still gave credited me back. They were in perfect shape though, only tried on briefly.

Juneau
Dec 18, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

In their defense, they're in Hawaii (and 30 includes 4.50 for insuring the package--i've lost too many packages in usps). I checked and this is a legit price by priority mail (ground for usps is within a couple dollars of this too).

You do raise a good point on the trying stuff on. I guess I was going off of the assumption that I'd either buy it from a place with an awesome return policy (newenough) or get an awesome enough deal on it that I could resell it on ebay for only a minor loss. It sounds sad, but I don't know of anywhere with a decent selection near a busline here.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Juneau posted:

You do raise a good point on the trying stuff on. I guess I was going off of the assumption that I'd either buy it from a place with an awesome return policy (newenough) or get an awesome enough deal on it that I could resell it on ebay for only a minor loss. It sounds sad, but I don't know of anywhere with a decent selection near a busline here.
If you've got time (and the temporary money), you could order all three from NewEnough (they're out west, so shipping wouldn't take too long, and you might get free Fedex delivery anyways), try them on, and return all three, then find the better deal on ebay or what-have-you.

I'd just hate to spend $270 on an Alpinestars jacket that fits horribly enough that you wouldn't even wear it. :(

spacepirate
Feb 7, 2005
Yarr mateys!
Does anyone here use saddle bags with a sport bike? Im looking at these cortechs http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/saddlebags/cortech_by_tour_master/sport_motorcycle_saddlebags.html . Im curious how they mount to the bike, how much they actually hold and if they flap or make any other sort of disturbance while you ride.

Juneau
Dec 18, 2006

Fantastipotamus posted:

If you've got time (and the temporary money), you could order all three from NewEnough (they're out west, so shipping wouldn't take too long, and you might get free Fedex delivery anyways), try them on, and return all three, then find the better deal on ebay or what-have-you.

I'd just hate to spend $270 on an Alpinestars jacket that fits horribly enough that you wouldn't even wear it. :(

Hmm... this seems like a good idea. I do worry that if i fall in love with the Alpinestars jacket from newenough that I'll not want to send it back if I can't find a cheaper one on ebay that instant. This isn't a fault in your logic--it's a fault in my impatience :downs: I certainly have the cash to spend temporarily--I'm a grad student, and I'm currently at my summer internship making the money that will supplement me all year. This can be dangerous, of course, because I have a ton of money stashed in the bank which makes me feel rich and think I can spend a fortune on gear now... but I know I'll regret it when March rent is due.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Juneau posted:

In their defense, they're in Hawaii (and 30 includes 4.50 for insuring the package--i've lost too many packages in usps). I checked and this is a legit price by priority mail (ground for usps is within a couple dollars of this too).

The Hawaii excuse is bullshit. When I lived in Honolulu I Fed-Exed an 80lb motorcycle frame to Georgia for $75. I've shipped a lot of crap from Hawaii and a jacket in no way warrants $35.50 of postage unless they're shipping it overnight. Hell, I bet a leather jacket that small could fit into one of those flat-rate boxes that ship for 6-8 bucks.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Juneau posted:

Hmm... this seems like a good idea. I do worry that if i fall in love with the Alpinestars jacket from newenough that I'll not want to send it back if I can't find a cheaper one on ebay that instant. This isn't a fault in your logic--it's a fault in my impatience :downs: I certainly have the cash to spend temporarily--I'm a grad student, and I'm currently at my summer internship making the money that will supplement me all year. This can be dangerous, of course, because I have a ton of money stashed in the bank which makes me feel rich and think I can spend a fortune on gear now... but I know I'll regret it when March rent is due.
Agreed. Unfortunately I will routinely suffer from the same impatience and self-restraint when it comes to stuff like that. I KNOW I can find something cheaper, but because it's in front of me, I'll pay more.

Curses. :(

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Looks good, but if LA is as hot as FL, you'll need full perf leather so you won't sweat to death at stops.

Ditto to the above, venting zippers really don't vent much if you're stopped.

I don't know how you can compare this jacket to the TX-1. It doesn't look similar, nor does it have all the same bells and whistles (the TX-1 doesn't have fat-rear end gusset zippers either).

There's nothing wrong with JR; I've got a JR perf leather Blaster (2.0? 4.0? I can't recall), and its fine. Many people wear JR, and are fine. If it were so horrible, people wouldn't wear it (I've heard of JR biceps snaps coming undone, but other than that, not many complaints). I've not had any issues with it at all, and it has served the exact purpose for which I bought it (for 120$, from newenough's ebay account). If you're just starting out, I wouldn't be worried about A* versus JR, as I think both will fulfill your needs. I'm saving up for A* gear, but for now I'm more than happy with JR.

edit: if money's no issue, find A* perf leather (if they even make it for women), then buy another one and send it to me ;)

edit2:

spacepirate posted:

Does anyone here use saddle bags with a sport bike? Im looking at these cortechs http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/saddlebags/cortech_by_tour_master/sport_motorcycle_saddlebags.html . Im curious how they mount to the bike, how much they actually hold and if they flap or make any other sort of disturbance while you ride.
Yes these are the bags I've been looking at too (on the suggestion of the matching tailbag by both Ravyn and Silver [at least I think it was Silver]), so I am equally interested in hearing people's experiences.

teknicolor fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 2, 2007

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Oh, forgot to mention that my JR jacket came back on Thursday. The snap ripped off one arm and was half off the other, so I sent it in for repair under warranty. From me shipping it, it took about 3 weeks to get back, which I think is a long time. Even allowing for long shipping, they had my jacket for 7-10 days while working on it. Oh well, better than not having a snap and better than buying a new jacket. I can now stop wearing my crappy mesh jacket (mostly because it is too big) and be back with the leather.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

swanage posted:

I'm looking to start commuting with a 17"(!) laptop to work on my bike. I'd like something with an interior closure, like this. That one looks like it just might fit the bill, and the price ain't too shabby either, but I'd like to know what my options are if anyone else knows of some other interior zippered bags.

Uthor posted:

For some reason, I really want that Mobile Edge backpack. I don't carry a laptop, nor do I carry a backpack in any crowded areas, but I still want one.

Anyway, if you can stand the camo, Amazon has it for $46. The black is out of stock.

aventari posted:

thanks, just ordered one. $60 total with tax and shipping

Wow, long string of quoted posts, but I was wondering, aventari, did you end up getting this bag? What are your thoughts. I still don't need one, but I want one. I'm on the lookout for the black to come back into stock, but I want to know if I'm wasting my time (not as good as advertised, too small, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I've recently secured some funding for a bike so its time to buy some stuff to keep my squishy bits on the inside of me where they belong. A stumbling block is that I have about $500 to work with.

Thankfully, I already have a helmet, a 3 year old Vemar that's only been worn a couple times for Go-Karting and once for a track day in a car, so that's not a problem.

Jacket: I'm leaning towards that Corkscrew MotoGP newenough has for peanuts. Does anyone know how it would handle 90+ heat?

Boots: Any opinions on these? http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/boots/teknic/defender_motorcycle_boots.html

The waterproofing isn't really necessary, but the price is right.

Gloves: Are these as rubbish as I think they are? http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/gloves/first_gear/mesh_tex_motorcycle_gloves.html

Also, are short gloves any good or should I just buy gauntlets?

Pants: Everything seems stupid expensive. Uhm...help?