Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
#shortwave created on irc.synirc.org.

Come on in.

I'm all alone right now, listening to radio cuba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

AstroZamboni posted:

Mind if I add this to the OP?
Not at all, feel free!

E:

Elijah posted:

Uh, can we put the scanner stuff in a different thread? I think a lot of us would prefer to stick to shortwave here.
I know Astro Zamboni had hinted about making it a general listening thread, but I'm down with whatever the consensus ends up being.

Halah fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 29, 2007

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title
Uh, can we put the scanner stuff in a different thread? I think a lot of us would prefer to stick to shortwave here.

Thanks for starting the IRC channel. Can it be added to the OP?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Here's a template QSL a friend of mine, who's a HAM uses, if you want to send out QSL's:

quote:

Reception report for [RADIO STATION]

Please find below a report of your radio station, which I heard from my location
on:
[DATE]

[TIME]

The FREQUENCY was [ ] kHz

The MODE of TRANSMISSION was:

Your SIGNALS were:
SIGNAL STRENGTH
5= VERY STRONG 4= STRONG 3= MODERATE 2= WEAK 1= UNUSABLE

INTERFERENCE (ATMOSPHERIC)
5=CLEAR 4= LIGHT INTERFERENCE 3= MODERATE 2= HEAVY 1= SEVERE

NOISE (MAN MADE)
5= NONE 4= LIGHT 3= MODERATE 2= STRONG 1= SEVERE

PROPAGATION
5= NO FADING 4= LIGHT FADING 3= MODERATE FADING 2= DEEP FADING 1= UNUSABLE

OVERALL
5= EXCELLENT 4= GOOD 3= MODERATE 2= POOR 1= UNUSABLE

While I monitored your station I heard the following Programming

The equipment I was using at the time was:

[RECEIVER]
[ANTENNA]
[AUXILIARY EQUIPMENT]

If you find the above information is correct I would very much appreciate a verification for this report. You will find enclosed a self addressed envelope and postage to cover the mailing costs.

Thank you for your time

Reply Postage:
You can use IRC's (International Reply Coupons) that should be good for return postage for most countries listed here and you should be able to get them from your post office.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Elijah posted:

Honestly, the two are so related that it makes sense to cover both here.

nitrogen posted:

Here's a template QSL a friend of mine, who's a HAM uses, if you want to send out QSL's:

Reply Postage:
You can use IRC's (International Reply Coupons) that should be good for return postage for most countries listed here and you should be able to get them from your post office.
Thanks for posting. Now that it's posted, DON'T USE IT VERBATIM.

At the vast majority of stations, the people who are reading your reception reports are doing so in addition to their normal programming/on air duties. There are extremely few stations who have a dedicated correspondence person any more.

So think about it. These people, who are often overworked anyway, are reading listener letters. Which letter do you think is going to get a better response: the form letter, or something that at least looks like the person writing it took 10 minutes to write it and actually gives a crap about what Radio Petoria is doing? I guarantee you if you are actually sincere in your letter you'll get a better reply (not to mention more goodies).

I apologize for being a dick about it, but 1) I don't want to see people sending for QSLs from more rare stations and never hearing back and 2) shortwave radio is on its last threads as it is and boring people at stations who have to read these things is the last thing we, as SW enthusiasts, want to do.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Elijah posted:

Thanks for starting the IRC channel. Can it be added to the OP?

Actually, in a lot of ways VHF/UHF scanning shares a lot in common with SW listening, primarily listening to HAMs and utility broadcasts. Both fall under the category of "amateur radio monitoring." I also bet the mods would see two threads about listening to weird poo poo on specialty radios and say "why the hell aren't these in one thread?"

I'm considering asking a mod to change the thread title to reflect this. Anybody think this is a horrible idea? Something like "Achtung! Its the Shortwave Radio and Scanner Megathread!" I have to keep "Achtung" in the title for no adequately explored reason.

OP has been updated with antenna notes and I'm adding the IRC channel now.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 29, 2007

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
There was a lot of activity on Friday night on 4372 kHz USB. Sounded like pilots with maybe a Navy central command doing training, flying tracks categorized as friendly, suspicious, or hostile. All pilots had letter callsigns (DELTA, ECHO, GOLF, etc.) with the central radio contact being BRAVO FOX. They'd load up tracks, call for data silence, and do radio checks every few minutes. Heard a WIDOW callsign once, which I think is an F-16.

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title
Yeah, but they're really quite different fundamentally. One is (primarily) for listening to broadcasts, the other is for listening to two-way communications. More importantly, though, some of us just plain aren't interested in scanning, and it would be nice to keep the discussions separate.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

4372 kHz USB.

What's the USB mean on my Eton E5?

My auto-scan mode seems worthless, and I still can't really figure out what the SSB button is for. Sometimes if I hear a faint beeping noise and I switch USB on I get morse code. That's about it.

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title
I broke the "kickstand" on my E5. Anyone know where to get replacement parts?

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

I'm just posting a reminder that I haven't forgotten to get the E1. I've just been having a bit of monetary issues as of late.

It's still going to happen. And I'm going to lose $500. :cry:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

AnimalChin posted:

What's the USB mean on my Eton E5?

My auto-scan mode seems worthless, and I still can't really figure out what the SSB button is for. Sometimes if I hear a faint beeping noise and I switch USB on I get morse code. That's about it.

USB stands for Upper Sideband. An explanation of everything you're asking here is in the OP.

Elijah posted:

I broke the "kickstand" on my E5. Anyone know where to get replacement parts?

Eton sells replacement parts on the support section of their website. The kickstand costs $6.95.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

I created a wiki for us:

http://shortwave.nurgle.net/

Let's start putting stuff there. I am migrating stuff from the OP there slowly.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

nitrogen posted:

I created a wiki for us:

http://shortwave.nurgle.net/

Let's start putting stuff there. I am migrating stuff from the OP there slowly.

Oh my loving holy god awesome......

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Allright, I made my first contribution to the Wiki, an entry on the Cuban number station "Atencion" (the article name is under the Enigma group designation V2).

Edit: Added the Wiki link to the OP as well. Mad props to nitrogen, this is an AWESOME addition!

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 31, 2007

java
May 7, 2005

While this thread hasn't caused me to drop any new money yet (though the last shortwave thread got me into it), it did cause me to break out the wire antenna that came with my Grundig G5. I had tried it a few times in my apartment before just stringing on the ground, or hanging it out the window, but I wound up looping it around the window sill and now I can actually pick things up slightly better than the telescoping antenna.

Listening to ham radio operators talk about how much they like to pay for a cut of steak is a pretty good time.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Well, my SWL activities have been royally FUBARed by the Arizona monsoon season. So I've been spending some time writing a comprehensive Number Station section for the Wiki, documenting individual stations to the point of adding skeds and frequency lists. I'm first going to concentrate on the more commonly known stations (Atencion, Mossad, Lincolnshire Poacher) and then move onto some of the more obscure ones. Then I'll get started on "Historical" stations like the East German 2-Letter network, Gongs and Chimes and "The Swedish Rhapsody." All the uber-creepy cold war-era poo poo.

Edit: Forgot to mention that iit isn't uploaded yet. I'm going to wait until I have something really presentable.

Also, I'm going to start building a tunable slinky dipole. Woot!

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 1, 2007

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Woah, a Wiki? I go away for a week and a bit and the thread still isn't dead! Hooray!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

AstroZamboni posted:

Well, my SWL activities have been royally FUBARed by the Arizona monsoon season. So I've been spending some time writing a comprehensive Number Station section for the Wiki, documenting individual stations to the point of adding skeds and frequency lists. I'm first going to concentrate on the more commonly known stations (Atencion, Mossad, Lincolnshire Poacher) and then move onto some of the more obscure ones. Then I'll get started on "Historical" stations like the East German 2-Letter network, Gongs and Chimes and "The Swedish Rhapsody." All the uber-creepy cold war-era poo poo.

Edit: Forgot to mention that iit isn't uploaded yet. I'm going to wait until I have something really presentable.

Also, I'm going to start building a tunable slinky dipole. Woot!

any AM recommendations for us poor broke nubs without SSB would be awesome too :shobon:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Spanish numbers on 7887 KHz right now.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

any AM recommendations for us poor broke nubs without SSB would be awesome too :shobon:

The only good AM Number Station I'm aware of is the sultry Cuban mistress herself. E10 (Mossad) has been known to occasionally (but rarely) transmit in AM, but almost all other number traffic is pretty much limited to the sidebands these days.

From a certain point of view it makes sense. Far fewer portable radios have SSB reception, so the vast majority of people listening to SW won't even hear the traffic. Placing the broadcasts in utility bands also helps. This keeps the broadcasts from calling attention to themselves.

overflow
Dec 20, 2001

If anyone is still thinking about getting a scanner, I've thrown mine online streaming so you can get an idea of what kind of transmissions you'll pick up. Right now it's setup for the Chicago, Illinois, police department frequencies. I'll add the fire department frequencies later on tonight. Obviously what you pick up will vary based on your location. I might take it down for a little while when I move it later tonight.

http://chiscanner.listen2myradio.com

Enjoy!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm a VHF nerd; if you guys want scanner stuff in the wiki, just say the word. Should be able to dump some info in.

nurall
May 4, 2005

hey hows it going
instead of just listening why dont you get a hamradio license. think i paid $8 for the test (good for 10 years)

kd5buy

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

overflow posted:

If anyone is still thinking about getting a scanner, I've thrown mine online streaming so you can get an idea of what kind of transmissions you'll pick up. Right now it's setup for the Chicago, Illinois, police department frequencies. I'll add the fire department frequencies later on tonight. Obviously what you pick up will vary based on your location. I might take it down for a little while when I move it later tonight.

Enjoy!

Hey this is really cool, thanks!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

nurall posted:

instead of just listening why dont you get a hamradio license. think i paid $8 for the test (good for 10 years)

kd5buy

Instead of just posting words, why not capitalize and use punctuation marks (good as long as the language is in use)?

Jes' Sayin'.

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm a VHF nerd; if you guys want scanner stuff in the wiki, just say the word. Should be able to dump some info in.

I'd ask nitrogen, since he created the wiki, but I think that would be totally awesome.

I've come to the conclusion I love listening to utility transmissions. Aeronautical bands are like crack.

Edited for spelling and stupidity.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 2, 2007

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Word on the spooks list is that Atencion is using a different female voice on occasion. Very odd.

By the way, here's a list of all known V2/V2A/M8/M8A (Cuban Intelligence) number station frequencies.

Edited to add: For AM listeners outside of the Americas (or with really good antennae) it turns out most of the Russian spoken numbers traffic is broadcast in AM. Good to know.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 2, 2007

overflow
Dec 20, 2001

AstroZamboni posted:

Word on the spooks list is that Atencion is using a different female voice on occasion. Very odd.

By the way, here's a list of all known V2/V2A/M8/M8A (Cuban Intelligence) number station frequencies.

Edited to add: For AM listeners outside of the Americas (or with really good antennae) it turns out most of the Russian spoken numbers traffic is broadcast in AM. Good to know.

Latest reports show E10 (believed to be Mossad) to be VERY active. Also, lots of EAM's going out from US Military lately. This may have been what meatpotato was hearing (number reading with no interference.) I've caught it a few times on 8992U. These are Emergency Action Messages broadcast from the USAF with a multitude of diffent purposes. They can signify intelligence, troop movements, nuclear strikes, etc. For more info, check the Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Action_Message

Also, if anyone is having problems getting my live scanner audio, try the winamp link on this page.

overflow fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 2, 2007

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Question:

I can't seem to find metal Slinkys for sale anywhere. Where would be a good place to look?
[Yes, I checked the Wal-Mart, Toys 'R' Us, &c websites. Nada.]

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Canuck-Errant posted:

Question:

I can't seem to find metal Slinkys for sale anywhere. Where would be a good place to look?
[Yes, I checked the Wal-Mart, Toys 'R' Us, &c websites. Nada.]

Ordering online is a good bet. OR, you can get a fully pre-made slinky tunable dipole on eBay. There's a company that specializes in them. They also sell powder-coated metal slinkies for building your own outdoor slinky antennae that will stand up to the elements.

I'm also fairly sure you can find large metal slinkies on Amazon.

overflow posted:

Latest reports show E10 (believed to be Mossad) to be VERY active. Also, lots of EAM's going out from US Military lately. This may have been what meatpotato was hearing (number reading with no interference.) I've caught it a few times on 8992U. These are Emergency Action Messages broadcast from the USAF with a multitude of diffent purposes. They can signify intelligence, troop movements, nuclear strikes, etc. For more info, check the Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Action_Message

Wow, that's pretty fuckin' scary. Is there a list of known frequencies for this anywhere?

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 2, 2007

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Slinkies on Amazon:

Original metal from American Science Surplus
Colorful Slinkies from Atomic Hobbies
Solid Brass slinkies: Corrosion resistant.

Slinky Antennas eBay store

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

American Science and Surplus has the Original Slinky on their real site for $3.75. Also you'll get their awesome catalog!
http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm?terms=9132&cartLogFrom=Search

vvv I was just pointing out that it's less than half the price directly from them than from them through Amazon. Also their site says it's stainless.

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 2, 2007

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Case posted:

American Science and Surplus has the Original Slinky on their real site for $3.75. Also you'll get their awesome catalog!
http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm?terms=9132&cartLogFrom=Search

True, but the colored (powder coated) and brass are necessary if you plan to build an outdoor slinky antenna.

If its an indoor antenna or an attic antenna, the plain steel will work out fine.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
:words: about the slinky dipole?

How about the tape measure dipole!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

nmfree posted:

:words: about the slinky dipole?

How about the tape measure dipole!

Pure loving awesome. Geek ingenuity knows no bounds.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

USB stands for Upper Sideband. An explanation of everything you're asking here is in the OP.

Not really.

People are posting something like "I heard <something> at <time> on <frequency>U"

I realise the "U" after the frequency means upper side band, but how do I tune my E5 to the upper side band? Do I hit the SSB button, or does my radio just not have that function? I apologize if I'm being daft but I just don't get it.

Also, the wiki (which is really really nice, by the way) has boxes at the top for "Solar X-Rays" and "Geomagnetic Field." Would it be easy to add a "Current UTC Time" box up there? That would sure be handy.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

AnimalChin posted:

Not really.

People are posting something like "I heard <something> at <time> on <frequency>U"

I realise the "U" after the frequency means upper side band, but how do I tune my E5 to the upper side band? Do I hit the SSB button, or does my radio just not have that function? I apologize if I'm being daft but I just don't get it.

Also, the wiki (which is really really nice, by the way) has boxes at the top for "Solar X-Rays" and "Geomagnetic Field." Would it be easy to add a "Current UTC Time" box up there? That would sure be handy.

Well, I'm afraid that I have to say "RTFM" to a certain extent on this one as I've already explained this a couple of times in the thread and this is also thoroughly explained in the manual that came with the E5 (I should know, I have one), but here goes . SSB (Single sideband) is a type of modulation separate from AM and encompasses Upper AND lower sidebands which are fine-tuned between the two by using a little knob (that says -FINE+) on the right side of the E5. Tuning up and down on that SSB fine tuning knob (as it already explains in the manual that came with the E5).

Once again, SSB circuitry and tuning are NOT used for improving EVERY signal. SSB is a TOTALLY different type of modulation. When a signal you're trying to listen to is being broadcast in SSB (WHICH INCLUDES LSB AND USB), hit the button and fine tune with the knob.

Don't mean to be snarky, but if you have the manual that came with the radio its always a good idea to check there first because chances are it already answers your question.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Along the lines of discussing SSB and normal AM, when you're just dialing around looking for random interesting stuff, do you normally put it on SSB or off? I've been searching on SSB because while I can usually tell if there is an AM signal while I am on SSB and switch over, I've found I miss a lot of SSB stuff if I am on AM since it sometimes just sounds like static.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

bad mutant vibes: I usually do the opposite. I start on AM, and seem to be fairly good at picking out SSB stuff. I guess it just depends on what you're looking for.

Astro Zamboni: Thanks for the slinky antenna links!

I've been trying to read a little bit about building an antenna myself, but then I start reading stuff about baluns, and air-wound coax, and resonating at such and such a length and so many MHz, and hurrrrrr... :psypop: I'm not even sure where to start, so I've got my speaker wire out the window and up a tree for the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jooboy
Feb 2, 2004
his methods are orthodox!

AstroZamboni posted:

Ordering online is a good bet. OR, you can get a fully pre-made slinky tunable dipole on eBay. There's a company that specializes in them. They also sell powder-coated metal slinkies for building your own outdoor slinky antennae that will stand up to the elements.

I'm also fairly sure you can find large metal slinkies on Amazon.

Wow, that's pretty fuckin' scary. Is there a list of known frequencies for this anywhere?

There's a list of the frequencies and transmitting stations at the link below, but 8992U seems to be the hot frequency. I've been hearing regular broadcasts from the base in Puerto Rico between 0300z and 0600. More frequent and longer transmissions usually mean something is about to happen. The longest transmissions ever recorder were during the Persian Gulf War.

http://www.ominous-valve.com/hfgcs.txt

• Locked thread