Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
He could clean it with a paper towel or something :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Since the Kangaroo is a Magical Beast, and not an Animal, the Pouch wouldn't be filled with gross goop.

For all we know, it would be temperature controlled with optional sunroof and slash-proof lining on the inside.

But that's only the deluxe model. The standard model types just do the courtesy of cleaning out the pouch.

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.
I wonder how long Lien has been waiting for an opportunity like that.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Isn't there a rule against having anything but a horse as a paladin mount?

Because that would be insanely useful in a sea-based campaign, especially with some of those underwater dungeons and caverns.

Just like Rangers and Druids can get better animal companions (for which you just count as having a lower level for determining their bonuses) and arcane casters can get special familiars, you could have alternative special mounts. I'd love to see a half-orc riding a rhinocerous. How hardcore is that?

Cowcaster posted:

Also I'm pretty sure paladins don't summon their mounts from pokeballs WHAT GIVES!

They summon them from the Celestial realms. Pot and the kettle, if you ask me.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Endrite posted:

But the pouch is full of gross goop.

You're full of gross goop t:mad:t

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Vicissitude posted:

I'd love to see a half-orc riding a rhinocerous. How hardcore is that?

Significantly less hardcore than a half-demon riding a tyrannosaurus.

Man, that would be the most awesome paladin ever.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Sock posted:

Probably all her life, but that doesn't mean that the next time I play D & D that I'm not picking Paladin + Shark. OHHHH man.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Sock posted:

The sad thing is, she's probably been waiting her entire career as a paladin to show all the other paladins that a shark wasn't a stupid choice. Now that she gets a chance to show off, there's only one other paladin left to see it. :smith:

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Kramer posted:

The sad thing is, she's probably been waiting her entire career as a paladin to show all the other paladins that a shark wasn't a stupid choice. Now that she gets a chance to show off, there's only one other paladin left to see it. :smith:

That's the very definition of "last laugh."

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

ZorbaTHut posted:

Significantly less hardcore than a half-demon riding a tyrannosaurus.

Man, that would be the most awesome paladin ever.

My friend played a Non-LA Rakshasa Paladin with a war elephant mount (he didn't get the actual mount till about level 8 to compensate).
Nothing says "fear my God" like a devoted demon charging you on a celestial elephant.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Man I thought one of you guys would host the comic. Site isn't loading for me.

Edit:

Soylentbits fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 2, 2007

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Soylentbits posted:

Edit:

Hey, you're awesome! Everyone who posted before you is a dick.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Soylentbits posted:

Edit:

Sorry, it's been a long time since the site has gone down with a new update (for me at least) so it didn't even cross my mind. I'll make sure to do the next one if no one else does.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

Vicissitude posted:

Just like Rangers and Druids can get better animal companions (for which you just count as having a lower level for determining their bonuses) and arcane casters can get special familiars, you could have alternative special mounts. I'd love to see a half-orc riding a rhinocerous. How hardcore is that?

Not as hardcore as orcs riding fiendish triceratops. http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=11142

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Gassire posted:

Not as hardcore as orcs riding fiendish triceratops. http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=11142

When I see it spelled "ork" and I don't see any WAAAGH, I get disappointed.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Endrite posted:

When I see it spelled "ork" and I don't see any WAAAGH, I get disappointed.

Dunno bout anyone else here but I insist D&D "orcs" spell it with a K and behave appropriately if they want their STR bonus. "Orcs" are little lone-hit-die weiners about a hit point apart from goblins on average, "orks" are tough guys with a lot of brawn if not brains.

Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"

Vicissitude posted:

I'd love to see a half-orc riding a rhinocerous. How hardcore is that?

I don't know. I see a rhino mount as being more for a dwarf, but that might just be me.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Nothing beats the Battle Hound.

Oh, and...
me: "Heh. Durkon managed to cut something with a hammer. Yeah, that's realistic."
Next panel, Durkon says: "How did I cut tha tentacle wit a hammer...?"

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 3, 2007

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
Started reading it on monday and now I'm up to date. I hate being up to date on a webcomic.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Eckertmania posted:

I don't know. I see a rhino mount as being more for a dwarf, but that might just be me.

I had a rhino mount as a dwarf paladin. It was pretty neat.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Does Redcloak have many spells left? He might be in trouble. Though if I remember right clerics are decent at fighting. Also something about evil clerics spontaneously converting spells into cause wound spells, though I think those are touch spells. All my dnd knowledge comes from a really old monster manual and some games so I'm sure something's wrong.

Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"

Dr. Ron Paul posted:

I had a rhino mount as a dwarf paladin. It was pretty neat.

Did it work out well? I've been debating on doing that for a while now.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.

RentACop posted:

Does Redcloak have many spells left? He might be in trouble. Though if I remember right clerics are decent at fighting. Also something about evil clerics spontaneously converting spells into cause wound spells, though I think those are touch spells. All my dnd knowledge comes from a really old monster manual and some games so I'm sure something's wrong.

Clerics have an average attack bonus and hit die, so without spells they're pretty mediocre compared to a paladin of the same level, and would be an even match with one 3-4 levels lower, which is around where Hinjo would be. Spontaneous inflict spells still need the cleric to have spells to cast, so it wouldn't do him much good if he was otherwise out of spells.

It's hard to say how many spells he has left really. He's used quite a few 6th-8th level spells, and presumably used more spells off-camera during the battle, so he must be running low. However, it's possible that he has 9th level spells, or has 1st-5th level spells or scrolls or wands that could make a difference.

My guess is he flees after getting wailed on for a few panels.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
New comic!

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0480.html

And if it goes down:

Also, has anyone noticed that the RSS feed is a bit behind? This comic has been up for at least a few minutes and I still just see 479 as the last one there. Or is that normal for RSS feeds, generally?

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think it is standard for rss feeds.

If Hinjo made his fortitude save he just took 5d6 points of damage, which is nothing too impressive, but if he failed, he just took at least 26d6, which is an impressive amount to live through. And we now know that Redcloak is at least 13th level, if we weren't already sure. And we know that one of his domains is Destruction!

And how big a nerd am I to know that Disintegrate doesn't affect any of the items the target is wearing or holding, so those cracks shouldn't be there? He did get the "thin green ray" part right, though!

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

bgaesop posted:

And how big a nerd am I to know that Disintegrate doesn't affect any of the items the target is wearing or holding, so those cracks shouldn't be there? He did get the "thin green ray" part right, though!

Rich beat ya to that a looooong time ago. Although it's in reverse I guess, but the general idea is still the same.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Manyorcas posted:

Rich beat ya to that a looooong time ago. Although it's in reverse I guess, but the general idea is still the same.

Awesome, I'd completely forgotten about that strip. I was thinking more in terms of how a fireball actually will damage your clothes and items, but disintegrate targets either an object/part of an object or a creature, not both.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Am I supposed to like Redcloak more than, like, half of the good guys? Because I so do.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

It's about time Redcloak got a spine. He's been a basic assistant manager throughout the series, and I find it awesome that he is taking charge and whooping some paladin rear end with his new direction.

What? I never liked Paladins, even in the campaigns I use to play, though the Paladin to Lady Aphrodite was fun to hang around.

And Haley and Belkar need to hurry up. They aren't going to let that lion fool them forever.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

bgaesop posted:

I think it is standard for rss feeds.

If Hinjo made his fortitude save he just took 5d6 points of damage, which is nothing too impressive, but if he failed, he just took at least 26d6, which is an impressive amount to live through. And we now know that Redcloak is at least 13th level, if we weren't already sure. And we know that one of his domains is Destruction!

Considering he wasn't disintegrated, he probably made his save.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Endrite posted:

Considering he wasn't disintegrated, he probably made his save.

If you take all of the damage and it doesn't kill you you're not disintegrated. It's only if you are killed by the damage, regardless of whether or not you fail your save.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
How could a high-level paladin not make that save? Dang.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
When V disintegrated a black dragon, it appropriately turned into a pile of dust. Hinjo just ate a fuckton of damage, but he's going to live. And as somebody who has an unfortunate tendency to default to paladins as PC, divine grace is frikkin' sweet but it is not a 100% guarantee of saves if your dice hate you.

To wank out aobut D&D . . . the party is maybe in the level 12-14 range. Miko was equal to a little bit higher, and wiped the floor with Hinjo even after she'd fallen. Taking into effect potentially different attributes, Hinjo is still lower than the Order.

So 26d6 will average to 91 damage, and 5d6 averages to 15 but can go as high as thirty. So assuming Hinjo is about 8-11, levelwise, with a decent con score and luck with the paladin's d10 hit dice, he can survive an average disintegrate even if he just blew his save. I don't think he made the save, because even all 30 damage of a made-save hit wouldn't leave him looking that messed up, unless he's got poo poo HP for his approximate level - which is possible.

TheFuzzyLumpkin fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 6, 2007

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Miko was equal to a little bit higher, and wiped the floor with Hinjo even after she'd fallen.

Take into account that Hinjo was most likely attempting to deal non-lethal damage, which meant that he was fighting with a penalty to his attack the whole time.
I don't recall him using too many of his spells either, not that he would have had very many, but surely he could have used a few that would have helped him compensate for the attack penalty.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 6, 2007

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wolfsheim posted:

Am I supposed to like Redcloak more than, like, half of the good guys? Because I so do.

As in any well written story, the good guys are only there to make the bad guys look better.

Andartus
Apr 13, 2005
Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde

Halloween Jack posted:

How could a high-level paladin not make that save? Dang.

That was probably around a DC 20-28 Fortitude save. I'd bet on it being in the higher end of that range since Redcloak's a bit of a powergamer. Hinjo's not a high-end paladin, he's probably around level 11. That gives him a fort save of around +13. I'm betting Hinjo isn't well-optimized. He's got a fifty-fifty chance of failing it.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Andartus posted:

That was probably around a DC 20-28 Fortitude save. I'd bet on it being in the higher end of that range since Redcloak's a bit of a powergamer. Hinjo's not a high-end paladin, he's probably around level 11. That gives him a fort save of around +13. I'm betting Hinjo isn't well-optimized. He's got a fifty-fifty chance of failing it.

20 maybe, 28? If you say so dude. The idea of a mid level paladin failing a Fort 20 or so save still does not compute for me, but for all I know Hinjo is one of those idiot paladins like you see in official Wizards products who puts his Strength before Charisma. Also I was unaware Disintegrate had the physical energy to reverse Hinjo's jump and plant him back on the boat, but story concerns trump all.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I often wonder if Burlew puts nearly as much thought into the level/spell authenticity stuff as the people reading the comic do. I can't really imagine that he has character sheets or anything for all these various people, which would be the only way that you could really keep on top of it all.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
Hinjo's around level 11 based on him having 3 attacks per round, which gives him a +7 base fort save. Even if he has 20 con and 20 Cha, his save would only be +17. Redcloak's DCs for 7th level spells are at least 22 since the cleric in the courtyard failed with a 21, so Hinjo's likely to fail it around 20% of the time. Even if he has higher saves than that and Redcloak's DC isn't much more than 22, a 1 always fails, it's completely possible. I think the jump thing is supposed to be a joke about Hinjo losing initiative (thus his action not happening because he's been zapped?)

Redcloak is also at least 15th level, since he cast Extended Summon Monster VII, an 8th level spell, so that was 30d6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andartus
Apr 13, 2005
Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde

SuperKlaus posted:

If you say so dude.
16th level cleric

Base spell DC: 17
Wisdom Bonus (18 base wisdom, +4 for levels, +6 Periapt of Wisdom): +9
Spell Focus (Transmutation): +1
Greater Spell Focus (Transmutation): +1

=DC 28

And yeah, the trick with the jumping off then landing flat on his rear end was totally an initiative thing. The PC could have announced what he was going to do, lost his initiative, and the rest is flavor text from the GM. 112 hp worth of flavor text. The players would have bitched about the description of what happened, but that's what players do. "Oh, you'd rather be in the water and unconscious?" "No no no, we like your version better"