Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

vac posted:

pol, did you remove that pickup cover yourself or is it just a replacement pickup? If it was you would you mind giving me any tips? I've heard of using pliers but that doesn't seem like too great of an idea especially if I end up wanting to put the cover back on.
Most metal covers are soldered to the baseplate - don't just pry it off, unless you want to chance loving up the coils. Next time you change strings, just unscrew the pickup ring, flip over the pickup & heat the joint with a soldering iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004

Bartillier posted:

this will be my fifth guitar amp :) And i think also the final one :)

good choice my man

soiree of love
Jul 6, 2002

by R. Guyovich

vac posted:

pol, did you remove that pickup cover yourself or is it just a replacement pickup? If it was you would you mind giving me any tips? I've heard of using pliers but that doesn't seem like too great of an idea especially if I end up wanting to put the cover back on.

It's a stock 498,and I didn't have to do much but unscrew it...they don't exactly weld those things in there, unless we're talking 80's model LP's which had retarded P/U's.
I'd use a soldering iron if it was stuck, but very gently and carefully.

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o
Is there a difference between a soldering iron and a soldering gun then? I tried using the latter and I guess it wasn't strong enough to melt the solder holding the cover on. I had no idea I that was the issue. I'll have to try, I'm sure that's it. Thanks guys.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
Odd, 'cause soldering guns are usually more powerful - too powerful for most guitar work, even. Too much power can burn up pots & caps. A 25-35watt pencil-type iron should be all you need.

vac
Jul 10, 2005

Uncle Caveman posted:

Odd, 'cause soldering guns are usually more powerful - too powerful for most guitar work, even. Too much power can burn up pots & caps. A 25-35watt pencil-type iron should be all you need.

It's basically that with a switch to choose between 15 and 30 watts. Is that not a soldering gun? I'll take some pictures of what's holding the cover and try once more tonight.

soiree of love
Jul 6, 2002

by R. Guyovich

vac posted:

Is there a difference between a soldering iron and a soldering gun then? I tried using the latter and I guess it wasn't strong enough to melt the solder holding the cover on. I had no idea I that was the issue. I'll have to try, I'm sure that's it. Thanks guys.

If it still doesn't work, ****STOP****, have it done somewhere or you're going to destroy your pickup(I learned this the hard way with another guitar).
It shouldn't cost much, or at least it'll cost less then buying a new pickup and having it installed.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"

Bartillier posted:

yes im sure of that, i've been planing to get one for a couple of years now :D i think it will do me good, especialy because i play in a surf rock band
The clean channel is amazing. I had one of these for a while and quite liked it. The gain channels aren't that useful, but if you use pedals that's not a problem. This amp, like most Fender combos, is REALLY LOUD. Like almost too loud. Turning it up past 6 made my eyes bleed.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Be Depressive posted:

The clean channel is amazing. I had one of these for a while and quite liked it. The gain channels aren't that useful, but if you use pedals that's not a problem. This amp, like most Fender combos, is REALLY LOUD. Like almost too loud. Turning it up past 6 made my eyes bleed.
Seriously, that bitch is loooooooud. I had a Hot Rod Deluxe but decided to actually downgrade in wattage (to a Vox AC-15 :cool: ) because it was just too loud, and had a lot of headroom before breaking up. Great sounding amp though, FlossMan took it off my hands and I know he's enjoying it :D

slobodan
Aug 2, 2000

HumanSpeedBump posted:

getting bigger

Man that looks sexy!

WET BUTT
Mar 11, 2005

Coming in a week. God I can't wait. I tried one out with my Barge Concepts BP-1 at Guitar Center and it sounded amazing. I might actually be able to hear myself live now! The reverb is also really great(coming from someone who hated the spring reverb on my marshall) and combined with the Vibrato I got some really cool sounds.

Anyone have any suggestions for a first time Twin owner? Settings? Maybe something I can use to lug it around?

vac
Jul 10, 2005
For the Fender Twin there's always the Magic Six http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/magic-six.pdf If you just hate PDFs, the gist of it is volume at 6, treble at 6, middle at 3, bass at 2, reverb at 2, master volume at whatever and bright on.

I've been concerned about damaging the pickups since the first time I tried it which is why I've been so wary. And the picture for reference:

I guess I'll just take it in and have people who know what they're doing do it.

And on a completely unrelated note, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230157022909&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013 . :unsmith:

El Bi Ranchero
Feb 8, 2007

by Fistgrrl

WET BUTT posted:

Coming in a week. God I can't wait. I tried one out with my Barge Concepts BP-1 at Guitar Center and it sounded amazing. I might actually be able to hear myself live now! The reverb is also really great(coming from someone who hated the spring reverb on my marshall) and combined with the Vibrato I got some really cool sounds.

Anyone have any suggestions for a first time Twin owner? Settings? Maybe something I can use to lug it around?

I normally go for a high low-end, a low mid-range, and a mid high-end with the reverb up to about 6-7 and then it puts out such a rich warm tone that you expect angels to come flying out of the speaker. This was a great purchase and you will be really happy because its pretty much the most dependable tube amp on the market.

I dont gig with mine so I dont really have any pointers on how to lug it around.

also everyone needs to stop buying zvex pedals and stealing my sound :colbert:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

CandyCain&Abel posted:

Dimarzio Super II. Hell yeah.
Sorry about the stock image, but what else are you gonna do? All black/cremes look the same...

That's a PAF model. The Super II's have hexagonal pole-pieces. Also, congrats on your purchase. Which position are you putting it in?

fusionpit
Sep 8, 2005

Does that make me crazy?
College Slice
I just picked up

Today on ebay. The paint job just told me I have to have it (Deluxe MIM, '04.)

I also got one of these

on the recommendation of a coworker. $10, off ebay.

fusionpit fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 5, 2007

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

fusionpit posted:

I also got one of these

on the recommendation of a coworker. $10, off ebay.

Wow nice! They seem like a really nice unit, but go for $250-$300 AUD off ebay here :argh:

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

(Geddy Lee sig model)

UUUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! I want this so badly but for some reason I cannot pull the trigger because of the $800 price tag. :(

Going to head down to a local store that I've dropped three or more paychecks at in the last couple of years and see if they can swing me a deal.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I got an Aquarian SuperKickII today, and my bass drum sound SO much better, plus no blanket needed!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

vac posted:

It's basically that with a switch to choose between 15 and 30 watts. Is that not a soldering gun? I'll take some pictures of what's holding the cover and try once more tonight.

That is like a pistol grip pencil more than a soldering gun

This is a soldering gun, it only heats up when you pull the trigger and it makes an angry buzzing sound. I think the one I have here is about 200 or so watts.

When I took a cover off one time I had to crefully pry the cover after I melted the solder so I could slide it off.

Sometimes if the solder is soft enough a utility knife will cut through it but that could be kinda risky if you slip and cut yourself or damage the pick up.

Machine Gun
Aug 22, 2006

what a fucking nightmare
Seymour duncan jb, can't wait to hear it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

This thing sounds beautiful, and I'm in love with the XLR output.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

Lee bass
I really want one too, but I really can't justify it because I already own a J bass :smith:

JoTro
Dec 24, 2006

So tonight I'm gonna party like its 1066!

Best Friend posted:

Seymour duncan jb, can't wait to hear it.

Good stuff, you should be pretty happy with it.

Jonny
Dec 31, 2005

Hopefully getting this soon -

Oh god I can't wait.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

Tehdude posted:

I really want one too, but I really can't justify it because I already own a J bass :smith:

Same here, still want one though. :D

linen_and_cotton
Jun 7, 2007

gratitutious masochistic misogynism in theatres everywhere june 8th

Mr JinX
Jul 10, 2001

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Why hey there :iamafag:

The Huntsman
Dec 15, 2004

This one is for all my little friends, you know who you are...

Mr JinX posted:

I love the combination of the Epiphone amp and the Danny. What model of Danelectro is that?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Mr JinX posted:

How do you like that epiphone amp? I've always thought they looked really cool, but I've never had a chance to plug into one.

Mr JinX
Jul 10, 2001

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Its a pretty good amp, the effects are noisy but good, and I upgraded the tubes to tungsols
however I just traded it off for some cash and a digitech rp2000 and I have a Peavey Valve King Royal 8 on its way to replace it. My other amp is a Vox VR30 and the dano sounds great through that, the dano has a very different sound!
the guitar is a Danelectro Pro reissue in gold- just came out, $260 at a local store, its a model that Beck uses live often

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Manyak posted:

This thing sounds beautiful, and I'm in love with the XLR output.
I'd like to know what kind of group you're playing with and how the sound stacks up. I've been looking for something with a little more clean power than my 1x12, and I don't really want to step up to something too enormous.

Syrus
Nov 9, 2005
Peter Pan
I'm about to buy one of these in the coming week, are there any better amps for the money?

also a Digitech Bad Monkey to add more drive to the drive channel. I'm in love with this little pedal. I'd like to get another distortion pedal though to add some grit to the sound for a more metal sound, any recommendations?

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

I've spent so much time clopping to fillies that my joints have locked up!
I was really wanting to get a DW pedal for my drums, since I played on one recently in a store and it was really loving great. Currently, I just have some lovely Gibralter pedal, which while functional, isn't NEARLY as fluid and amazing as the DW.

But having to put first month+security on an apartment kinda threw a monkey wrench into any gear buying for a while. :-/

WET BUTT posted:

Oh man, my friend has one of those and every time we play a show with his band, it makes me jealous as hell. It's seriously the best clean guitar tone I've ever heard. As far as settings, from what I've heard of his, it's *really* sparkly, so maybe roll the high end back a bit? That may just be his guitar or something though (a tele), so your mileage may vary. GREAT amp, though.

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007
"...And if you wondered what Time sounded like it sounded like water running in a dark cave and voices crying and dirt dropping down upon hollow box lids, and rain."
Korg R3

My first synth, I've had it for two weeks and I'm having tons of fun making sounds on it, yet I don't know exactly what each parameter and setting does, so I haven't made any sound I can call my own.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

The Leck posted:

I'd like to know what kind of group you're playing with and how the sound stacks up. I've been looking for something with a little more clean power than my 1x12, and I don't really want to step up to something too enormous.

I'm in a grunge/funk band that honestly doesn't make much use of it, but I play in a hardcore punk band that plays at parties and small venues and it's the perfect amp for that kind of situation. It's extremely durable, and you can really get some serious power out of it.

FBz
Mar 8, 2004
FatboYgw got me this account for my birthday!
I just bagged one of these guys in left handed today:

ESP M100FM. I am having two EMG81's dropped in next week for extra :rock:

I actually set out to purchase an Ibanez RG1570L Prestige in mirage blue (I have a black non-prestige version already). But when I got there and saw one, it looked more like a glam guitar as it was all glittery and not very metal looking at all :(

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
Though I have had positive ebay experiences in the past (my Classic 50), I was still nervous about buying a guitar. However, despite a little string buzz, this guy made it safely all the way from TN.

Fender MIM HSS Strat, with a maple loving fretboard:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sex Dwarf
Mar 12, 2005
WEB 2.0 POSTER

My first guitar. I'm pretty proud of it even if it isn't a Gibson.

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy

Sex Dwarf posted:

Thats a beautiful color :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch

Sex Dwarf posted:

My main guitar (before the one two posts up) is an Agile 3000 and it's gotten to the point where I just tell people it's a Les Paul because it takes less time to explain that it's not necessarily a lovely knock-off. In just a few shows, it went from "Well, it's an Agile, see, let me tell you a story..." to "It's a Les Paul copy by a rad company..." to just "It's a just a Les Paul."

A beautiful guitar like that one, no one could tell the difference anyway.