Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

skroll posted:

Posting from my Arch install. :c00l:

It's pretty neat, it only took a bit of fanaggling to get DRI working, but really it's not all that difficult. It really does give you a bare bones system to work with.

Congrats! :hfive: Hope you like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
hey everyone!

I've been having a hell of a time trying to track a script down on an older box that keeps emailing our networking department. I've pulled up the maillog and this is the entry:

code:

Aug  7 10:01:04 magni postfix/local[30818]: AD414480002: to=<admins@magni@no.com>,
orig_to=<admins>, relay=local, delay=1, status=sent (forwarded as 263F0480001)
Aug  7 10:01:04 magni postfix/smtp[30821]: 263F0480001: to=<tmccomb@no.com>,
 orig_to=<admins>, relay=chexchange.no.com[172.16.2.8], 
delay=0, status=sent (250 2.6.0  <20070807150103.AD414480002@magni.no.com> Queued mail for delivery)
(sorry bout the line breaks)
I've searched through the cron jobs and cant find where this is coming from. I know I'm missing something but I just can't put my finger on it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It's now months that I'm not on Windows anymore, and my fingers are itching to dabble a bit around in fun coding again. Preferably would be to go with what I know already, that'd be DotNet. However it wouldn't make sense if it isn't really accepted on the platform. So, how popular or accepted is Mono in the Linux world?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Toiletbrush posted:

It's now months that I'm not on Windows anymore, and my fingers are itching to dabble a bit around in fun coding again. Preferably would be to go with what I know already, that'd be DotNet. However it wouldn't make sense if it isn't really accepted on the platform. So, how popular or accepted is Mono in the Linux world?

It's getting there, take a look at Beagle.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Alright, I'm about 3 seconds from giving up on Fedora 7.

I can't seem to get it recognize my wireless card. I have a laptop with the dreaded 3945 card. I'm fairly new to linux and I've tried everything I can think of, and stuff that I've read online, and nothing wants to work. Unless somebody can help give me some direction, this is getting trashed.

Absinthe
Jan 9, 2004

I'm running ubuntu feisty and I'm trying to get the latest version of "moc". http://moc.daper.net/
I really enjoy console based music players. Anyway. I'm using the version thats in the universe repos, version 2.4.1 which is not the latest version. The repos listed on the moc downloads page are not working.
The reason I want to replace this version is because there is a bug that causes static on some mp3 files. I just want to use the new version.
I tried compiling the new version and it would not locate/play mp3's. I don't know why, I have all the libraries.
Anyone else having this issue? Any advice?

Edit: I figured it out. SO drat SIMPLE. When compiling from source you need the developer portions of libraries to compile in features, such as mp3 support. I knew this, but forgot or something. Ugh.

Absinthe fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 7, 2007

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
In what kernel revision did the default kernel begin to support SMP?

I'm trying to deploy SUSE core 9 systems on an ESX environment and realizing quickly that it isn't pretty trying to reconfigure the number of processors available to the VM on the fly. I'm looking for a more elegant solution.

RoundsToZero
Dec 3, 2004

An open door is an invitation
It's been the default for as long as I can remember but different distros do different things and personally I've had it turned off in my .config for as long as I've been compiling kernels myself.

I can't tell exactly what you're trying to do though. Do you want to force SMP off, or set it to a specific value when you boot? You can use the nosmp and maxcpus boot parameters to control this.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Toiletbrush posted:

It's popular. Mostly among Miguel de Icaza.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

shyguy posted:

Alright, I'm about 3 seconds from giving up on Fedora 7.

I can't seem to get it recognize my wireless card. I have a laptop with the dreaded 3945 card. I'm fairly new to linux and I've tried everything I can think of, and stuff that I've read online, and nothing wants to work. Unless somebody can help give me some direction, this is getting trashed.

What exactly doesn't work? Post the output of iwconfig.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

bitprophet posted:

Congrats! :hfive: Hope you like it.

I'm actually loving it. It took me a few minutes to get my laptop to wake up after I close the lid, but it wasn't all that hard. I have mpd working smooth, and it's permissions work out correct (which turned out to be a bitch in Fedora 7).

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I'm writing a PHP script to archive files using the exec function and tar. I don't want to store any directory information the occurs *before* the data I'm archiving. I'm using something along the lines of
code:
tar --absolute-names --directory /home/user -chf /backups/08_07_2007.tar ./*
The problem with that is all the files in the tar end up being in a the directory '.'. I know the work around would be to list each file that I want individually. So here's my question, is there any way to basically append the output of 'ls' to the end of that or do I have to get all the filenames in PHP and create a string to append on the end. The PHP was just seems ignorant to me because I think if I could do this with one line if I knew bash a little better.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

-BokkeN- posted:

I'm writing a PHP script to archive files using the exec function and tar. I don't want to store any directory information the occurs *before* the data I'm archiving. I'm using something along the lines of
code:
tar --absolute-names --directory /home/user -chf /backups/08_07_2007.tar ./*
The problem with that is all the files in the tar end up being in a the directory '.'. I know the work around would be to list each file that I want individually. So here's my question, is there any way to basically append the output of 'ls' to the end of that or do I have to get all the filenames in PHP and create a string to append on the end. The PHP was just seems ignorant to me because I think if I could do this with one line if I knew bash a little better.

use magic quotes instead of ./* do
code:
`ls -1 ./*`
I think bash may also support a construct like
code:
$(ls -1 ./*)
Is that what you are asking? Or am I misunderstanding your question.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

edit: nevermind, im just sending this thing in while it is still under warranty

meatpath fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 8, 2007

Skalenol
Apr 28, 2007
iAsshole.
I'm running Feisty with an Nvidia 7950GT graphics card, the drivers are installed and everything works fine, compiz fusion running and everything. I just got a new widescreen monitor and it's recognized by nvidia-settings, but every time X is restarted, it reverts the resolution to 1440x900, down from the 1680x1050 it should be at, requiring me to manually change it every time I restart.

I've saved the configuration to my xorg.conf through nvidia-settings, and also tried editing in the resolution manually, neither of which have worked. How do I fix this?

My xorg.conf.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Skalenol posted:

I'm running Feisty with an Nvidia 7950GT graphics card, the drivers are installed and everything works fine, compiz fusion running and everything. I just got a new widescreen monitor and it's recognized by nvidia-settings, but every time X is restarted, it reverts the resolution to 1440x900, down from the 1680x1050 it should be at, requiring me to manually change it every time I restart.

I've saved the configuration to my xorg.conf through nvidia-settings, and also tried editing in the resolution manually, neither of which have worked. How do I fix this?

My xorg.conf.

You put 1680x1050 as the first mode in your monitor section of that xorg.conf and it didn't work?

Skalenol
Apr 28, 2007
iAsshole.

sund posted:

You put 1680x1050 as the first mode in your monitor section of that xorg.conf and it didn't work?

Yes I did, no it didn't. :(

trashmatic
Jan 27, 2006

Skalenol posted:

My xorg.conf.
I can't find reference to the option "metamodes" on google except for use with nvidia twinview, which you don't have configured. Was this a copy-and-paste job from a google search, or is there a reason you're trying to do things that way?

Did you try this?
code:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Videocard0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1680x1050" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
I have been trying to turn my set of Red Hat disks into a kickstart DVD, by following this guide : http://www.harkness.co.uk/other/RHEL4_custom_dvd.html . The only issue I had was the .diskinfo file was not anywhere to be found on any of my disks.

The completed iso boots fine, and begins to install, but fails to accept that the disk involved is a redhat disk. I am guessing it is because without the .diskinfo file it doesn't authenticate as being proper, but any help would be appreciated.

Skalenol
Apr 28, 2007
iAsshole.

trashmatic posted:

I can't find reference to the option "metamodes" on google except for use with nvidia twinview, which you don't have configured. Was this a copy-and-paste job from a google search, or is there a reason you're trying to do things that way?

Did you try this?
code:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Videocard0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1680x1050" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

I was previously using Twinview, I guess that line was left in from that. I just removed that line and added the 1680x1050 back in to modes and it works now.

Thanks!

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

If I want to back up my entire /home/me to DVDs, and it is 16.7GB in size, is there an easier way to spread it across 4 or 5 DVDs than manually dividing it up by hand and burning it in K3b?

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Ok, so I tried the whole Twinview thing, and it kinda worked, except on my HDTV the picture goes outside my resolution. Now I'm guessing because I'm cloning, it's taking my monitor's resolution and using it on my HDTV, which of course is making the picture too big, and such not all of the desktop is showing. Then, somehow I made the HDTV my main monitor, and my real monitor turned into this (http://imagesocket.com/view/Screenshotab9.png). So, I dunno how to fix this since I just started with Linux, can someone help help me fix this and also properly set up a TwinView for my monitor and HDTV, so I can view videos off the TV? Here is my xorg (http://gr1mm6.googlepages.com/xorg.txt). The HDTV has a native resolution of 1360x768, and the LCD monitor is 1440x900.

edit: fixed my LCD monitor by loading backup xorg, but I still dunno how I should properly set this up.

CortezFantastic fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 9, 2007

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Sorry if this has been asked or answered already, but I wasn't able to find anything. I just installed debian on my personal machine, only to find that drivers for my sound card (soundblaster xfi platinum) are supposedly not available. I don't really need any of the fancy features of it, just standard stereo output. Am I totally boned here or is there a good-enough solution that's out there that I can use?

Also, Creative's open source website is good for a laugh:
http://opensource.creative.com

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

68k posted:

If I want to back up my entire /home/me to DVDs, and it is 16.7GB in size, is there an easier way to spread it across 4 or 5 DVDs than manually dividing it up by hand and burning it in K3b?

Dar is probably a good option.

There is a kde frontend called kdar if you prefer a graphical interface. It may well be in your distro's repositories so try there before downloading from sourceforge. :)

(Note, just in case you're a new user and using a gnome distro like Ubuntu, you can still run kde apps fine, it'll just install some extra kde libraries automatically - you don't need the entire kde desktop installed)

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"
Somewhat off-topic here, but hopefully someone can help.

In my current setup, I use Windows XP on my main machine, however, my home directory is mounted from a FreeBSD server to which I always have an open SSH connection. This way, I get the familiarity of Windows but since my files are available on the FreeBSD server I also have the flexibility of command line.

I'll not likely abandon this setup, but it's currently a little inconvenient to start X programs since I have to type them into an open SSH session. To integrate it better with Windows, it would be nice to be able to place items on the Startup menu which would do whatever is necessary to launch a specified program on the FreeBSD server using my local X server. This way, X programs could also be launched via Launchy like the rest of the normal Windows programs.

Anyone knows how this can be done?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
So I've heard about Pulseaudio for quite awhile, and kept wondering "Why do we need another sound server?" but finally tried it out yesterday. All I can say is: Pulseaudio rocks.

The main reason is the fact that the volume controller allows you to adjust the volume in the software mixer of everything by program. It's pretty slick, and on top of that it supports proper ALSA and OSS emulation, so it works almost all around the board. However, most apps that I use have support for Pulseaudio, such as mpd. I even managed to get Flash using Pulseaudio by compiling the libflashsupport libraries.

I've been running Arch Linux, but I can see why Ubuntu and Fedora plan on moving to Pulseaudio.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

jstultz posted:

Sorry if this has been asked or answered already, but I wasn't able to find anything. I just installed debian on my personal machine, only to find that drivers for my sound card (soundblaster xfi platinum) are supposedly not available. I don't really need any of the fancy features of it, just standard stereo output. Am I totally boned here or is there a good-enough solution that's out there that I can use?

Also, Creative's open source website is good for a laugh:
http://opensource.creative.com

Get a USB audio card :-\

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

teapot posted:

I used the predecessor to this on my thinkpad when the soundcard died:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829118107

Had problems w/ the linux driver at the time where the mixer only went from 0 to 100%, and the thing is LOUD. Bought a little passthrough cable w/ a sound slider ot use w/ headphones.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Alright, I'm going to post the resolution (or what I hope has been the resolution) of my problem referenced in this post.

Basically, none of the solutions I tried fixed anything. I tried adding different calls to the boot line, adding and removing some random software that others suggested, upgrading to the new kernel, even trying a different distro - none of which worked. I resolved myself to the fact that I would just send in the laptop to Toshiba since I still have four months left in my warranty (which I will be extending, since I love this machine).

However, Toshiba told me that I had to leave the hard drive in when I sent the machine in for repairs. :psyduck: This meant that their support covered the machine running on XP. Well, I had similar issues in XP, although I never got the same error messages and the machine didn't really lock up like it did with Feisty, the processor/fan just seemed to activate way too much over the smallest things.

Well gently caress it, I'll just back my poo poo up and throw XP back on there before I send it in. After doing so, I just browsed to my machine's download page and noticed that the current BIOS version was 3.70, and mine was still 1.50. Other people had mentioned that upgrading their BIOS fixed their issue, but I didn't want to do that in Linux since I would have to flash it with a disc and not an executable file, which made me nervous.

I went ahead and updated the BIOS. Almost immediately I noticed that the processor and fan stopped acting so erradicately (is that a word?). I then threw the live CD of x86 Ubuntu in as well as the 64-bit version, and watched the syslog as it was running. Previously, even running the live cds I would still get the stream of APIC errors, even in the boot sequence some time. Well, after this BIOS update, the errors completely stopped. Completely.

I guess I'll throw Ubuntu back on and see how it performs. It has been running with a fresh Feisty install and a new BIOS update and I have not had any of the issues again even slightly. No crazy fan and processor, no error messages of any kind, no luck ups.

The only thing that concerns me is that I already have a case number for sending in my machine for repairs. I'd rather just watch it now to see if I get any more malfunction from it, rather than sending it in. I've got four months left in the warranty, and like I said I will be extending that. Does this sound like a safe option? If three months from now the issue comes back, and I file a NEW case number, do you think they will say anything like "Well, this is negligence, since you knew about the issue three months ago and didn't do anything about it?"

(Sorry for the long rear end post :shobon: )

meatpath fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 10, 2007

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
This is a really dumb question, but google has failed me.

How do I flush the DNS cache in Ubuntu? I just moved a website to a different host, but the address still resolves to the old one. If I boot into Windows and do ipconfig /flushdns, I'm able to get to the new host. :(

Edit: Okay I cleared the cache in my router. Now I can get to the site fine, but if I put a www in front of it I still go to the old site. :argh:

Leathal fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 10, 2007

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

teapot posted:

Actually remembered that my motherboard has onboard sound that I turned off in BIOS when I got my x-fi, so I'm using that. Sucks that I can't use the x-fi, but at least I have sound.

Equanimity
Jan 4, 2007

Leathal posted:

This is a really dumb question, but google has failed me.

How do I flush the DNS cache in Ubuntu? I just moved a website to a different host, but the address still resolves to the old one. If I boot into Windows and do ipconfig /flushdns, I'm able to get to the new host. :(

Edit: Okay I cleared the cache in my router. Now I can get to the site fine, but if I put a www in front of it I still go to the old site. :argh:

When you say you are going to the old site, is this in your web browser? If it is, clearing the browser cache might fix it. In Firefox/Iceweasel this is:
Edit -> Preferences -> Security -> Private Data -> Clear Now and tick cache.

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

gonna steal the show, you know it ain't no crime
My server suddenly decided to die. When I tried to log in it kept saying access denied, so I rebooted only to be faced with a message informing me that the inittab file was not found. So now I would like to recover some data (web and mysql stuff) before installing ubuntu on it but right now I only have a fedora 7 disk on hand (downloading ubuntu right now). I got into the shell but it won't let me mount /dev/sda2 because /etc/fstab was not found.

Am I screwed?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

indigoe posted:

My server suddenly decided to die. When I tried to log in it kept saying access denied, so I rebooted only to be faced with a message informing me that the inittab file was not found. So now I would like to recover some data (web and mysql stuff) before installing ubuntu on it but right now I only have a fedora 7 disk on hand (downloading ubuntu right now). I got into the shell but it won't let me mount /dev/sda2 because /etc/fstab was not found.

Am I screwed?

What? No. The only thing /etc/fstab does is tell the system how and where things should be mounted if you don't tell it. The fact that you're getting this error means all you're doing is typing 'mount /dev/sda2' by itself. Where do you expect it to be mounted?

Type 'mount /dev/sda2 /mnt' and feel the magic.

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

Mounting /dev/sda2 on /mnt failed: Invalid argument

:confused:

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Err... are you using some kind of goofy charset on sda2?

Two things:
1. What pops up in /var/log/messages when you try to mount using the command I gave you?
2. What does 'fdisk -l /dev/sda' say?

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

Accipiter posted:

Err... are you using some kind of goofy charset on sda2?

Two things:
1. What pops up in /var/log/messages when you try to mount using the command I gave you?
There is no /var/log/

quote:

2. What does 'fdisk -l /dev/sda' say?

It says it's a 200 GB disk with 2 partitions
/dev/sda1 flagged boot, system linux
/dev/sda2 system linux LVM

I can mount /dev/sda1 and see a bunch of .EL and .img files, grub, lost+found and such.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

indigoe posted:

There is no /var/log/

:psyduck: What the hell kind of bullshit system are you using?

indigoe posted:

/dev/sda2 system linux LVM

Well that somewhat explains your mounting problem. What does the output of vgscan look like?

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

Accipiter posted:

:psyduck: What the hell kind of bullshit system are you using?

Well that somewhat explains your mounting problem. What does the output of vgscan look like?

I'm booting off a fedora 7 disk with 'linux rescue'. Also there doesn't seem to be a vgscan command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Is there an lvscan?